Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-27-17, 08:08 AM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...favorite war movie!

...yesterday the cable guy from Armstrong came over and had to replace my cable box (something F'd up inside it) and I lost some pretty good war movies (totally pissed off) that I had DVR'd.

Here are some of my favorites movies, what are yours?

Where Eagles Dare
Saving Pvt. Ryan
Guns of Navarone
Zulu
Dos Boot
The Great Escape
We Were Soldiers
Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
A Bridge Too Far

(I didn't include Band of Brothers because it was a series and by far the best War series ever made.)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-17, 08:32 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I liked Inglorious Bastards and I also liked Troy. Oddly enough both with Brad Pitt who I'm not a huge fan of.
Old 07-27-17, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I haven't devoted much time to this genre, and it shows:

Platoon
Gettysburg
Missing in Action II
Glory
Old 07-27-17, 10:02 AM
Moderated User

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
You hit the nail with your first post, BoB > all war movies.

Of the actual movies:

SPR

Inglorious Bastards

Platoon

Honorable mention: Full Metal, Hacksaw Ridge

Don't want to include Dunkirk until I've seen it a few more times. However, IMO, those 3 are pretty damn good at displaying the horrors of war without the cliches.
Old 07-27-17, 12:01 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Glory (1989)
The Great Escape (1963)
Battle of the Budge (1965)
We Were Soldiers (2002)
Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Guns of Navarone (1961)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944)
Stalag 17 (1953)
Empire of the Sun (1983)
Das Boot (1981)
Sargent York (1941)
Longest Day (1962)
Platoon (1986)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Four Horseman of the Apocalypse (1921)
La Grande Illusion (1937)
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
Battle Cry (1955)
Bataan (1943)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Wings (1927)
Fort Apache (1948)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)

This does not include movies about WWII which do not depict combat or the life of POWs like Casablanca, The Best Years of Our Lives, Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful...etc. (Empire of the Sun is given some slack here).

Last edited by Purplemojo; 07-27-17 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Brain Fart
Old 07-27-17, 12:16 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
#1.....The Longest Day.
Old 07-27-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Glory
Good Morning Vietnam
Old 07-27-17, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
A lot of great war movies have been called out. Here's a couple more:

Battleground - 1949: Very realistic depiction of the Battle of the Bulge filmed only four years after the war ended.

Cross of Iron - 1977: A look at ww2 from the German perspective. Details the horrors of the Eastern Front. Directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Stalingrad - 1993: Go with this older version over the latest Russian version. Very good movie about the nastiest battle in human history.
Old 07-27-17, 05:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
A lot of great war movies have been called out. Here's a couple more:

Battleground - 1949: Very realistic depiction of the Battle of the Bulge filmed only four years after the war ended.

Cross of Iron - 1977: A look at ww2 from the German perspective. Details the horrors of the Eastern Front. Directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Stalingrad - 1993: Go with this older version over the latest Russian version. Very good movie about the nastiest battle in human history.
Yes, I meant to include Battleground on my list also, in addition to two German films I have seen in the past few years: Downfall (2004) and Lore (2012).
Old 07-27-17, 05:59 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Starship Troopers
Old 07-27-17, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Starship Troopers
Not sure if you were being facetious but this and Mars Attack both great when I want a war movie without the stress. Independance Day I like, very patriotic.

All Quiet on the Western Front encompasses so much of what other movies try to depict, the frustrations, the waiting, the chattel and the sacrifices, I guess I'd have to pick that as my favorite but it does make my blood boil. The one I watch the most is Gallipoli.
Old 07-27-17, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Not sure if you were being facetious but this and Mars Attack both great when I want a war movie without the stress. Independance Day I like, very patriotic.

All Quiet on the Western Front encompasses so much of what other movies try to depict, the frustrations, the waiting, the chattel and the sacrifices, I guess I'd have to pick that as my favorite but it does make my blood boil. The one I watch the most is Gallipoli.
Gallipoli was outstanding. Along similar lines folks might want to catch Breaker Morrant - 1980. An excellent movie that take place during the Boar wars.
Old 07-27-17, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Starship Troopers
This was an interesting adaption of the Robert Heinlein classic story. To be honest Paul Verhoeven the director was mocking Heinlein with the film version. As a European Verhoeven didn't understand what Heinlein was getting at. You might want to read the book. It's short and was far ahead of it's time. It's politics are also very interesting as Heinlein was ex Navy and a well known libertarian. It's one of America's great pieces of literature and is IMO on the order of Huck Finn or Grapes of Wrath.
Old 07-27-17, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Gallipoli was outstanding. Along similar lines folks might want to catch Breaker Morrant - 1980. An excellent movie that take place during the Boar wars.
I imagine I've seen all but the most exoteric of the English language movies but thanks. I went through my WWII English production phase, some good, often copied stuff there.

A Matter of Life and Death has a theme only possible because of electronic communications, I've seen copied in a few Sci-Fi shows. I'd recommend that one because it has good performances and what at the time, was an original theme, makes me wonder if it didn't come from a real event.

Stalingrad'93' German version, didn't really care for it at all, lost interest.
Stalingrad '13" Russion version, I'll watch eventually but with the expectation the popular views are mostly from the pompous looking for the esoteric. Doesn't have great popular reviews really, maybe doesn't translate well.

Enemy at the Gates was a tense movie though. I'd like to see more English speaking movies based upon WWII Russia.
Old 07-27-17, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I imagine I've seen all but the most exoteric of the English language movies but thanks. I went through my WWII English production phase, some good, often copied stuff there.

A Matter of Life and Death has a theme only possible because of electronic communications, I've seen copied in a few Sci-Fi shows. I'd recommend that one because it has good performances and what at the time, was an original theme, makes me wonder if it didn't come from a real event.

Stalingrad'93' German version, didn't really care for it at all, lost interest.
Stalingrad '13" Russion version, I'll watch eventually but with the expectation the popular views are mostly from the pompous looking for the esoteric. Doesn't have great popular reviews really, maybe doesn't translate well.

Enemy at the Gates was a tense movie though. I'd like to see more English speaking movies based upon WWII Russia.
I think you will like Breaker Morrant.

The 2013 Russian version of Stalingrad is definitely meant to stir Russian patriotic feelings which is understandable given the sacrifice and place in Russian history this battle represented. It is worth watching for it's technical effects and production values which are outstanding and places you in the heart of the battle. The story though will definitely convey a "been there seen that" feeling to American audiences.

I also liked Enemy at the Gates.
Old 07-27-17, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think you will like Breaker Morrant.
I've seen, a couple times.
Old 07-27-17, 07:24 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
My top 10 (No order)

Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Apocalypse Now
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot
Stalingrad
Troy
Inglorious Bastards
Patton

But Band of Brothers is #1 regardless of film or TV. Such a captivating series.
Old 07-27-17, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

Ten Seconds to Hell is one I look forward to but have not yet seen. I like the post WWII Germany (usually Berlin) settings.

Montgomery Clift was an actor I first saw because of this. The Big Lift first then a previously made movie, The Search.

I've forgotten the title of one I liked, maybe someone can help me out? It was a WWII era movie, set in post WII Berlin, I THOUGHT it was a Douglass or Garfield movie but can't find it. The lead plays a JAG sort of role, defending an accused murderer.

Speaking of Garfield, a little bit Cagney without the over the top and pre James Dean, he's probably my favorite non John Wayne WWII setting actor.

Edge of Darkness was a movie that made me appreciate Errol Flynn, who I'd thought of only as an actor in Robin Hood tights. I really need to look up more of his.movies
Old 07-27-17, 08:49 PM
All American

Quote:

Facetious? Who, me? Have you ever known me to be anything but serious?

However, you did remind me of another favorite that I happened to watch one night by chance a few years ago: "Paths Of Glory", with Kirk Douglas

And BTW - just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.

Quote:
This was an interesting adaption of the Robert Heinlein classic story. To be honest Paul Verhoeven the director was mocking Heinlein with the film version. As a European Verhoeven didn't understand what Heinlein was getting at. You might want to read the book. It's short and was far ahead of it's time. It's politics are also very interesting as Heinlein was ex Navy and a well known libertarian. It's one of America's great pieces of literature and is IMO on the order of Huck Finn or Grapes of Wrath.
I always thought of it as "Robocop Meets Aliens" when I first saw it.

I started reading Heinlein in high school after I'd read a good bit of Isaac Asimov, but I was in it strictly for the 1950's B-movie vibe, not the deeper political themes. "Time For The Stars" was my favorite, but to this day I haven't read the original Starship Troopers. Yes, I may have to get around to it.
Old 07-27-17, 09:01 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
No Time for Sergeants 1958 - Andy Griffith

"War" w/Sgt. King.
Old 07-27-17, 09:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
No Time for Sergeants 1958 - Andy Griffith

"War" w/Sgt. King.
During the Cold War - it counts.
Old 07-28-17, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I always thought of it as "Robocop Meets Aliens" when I first saw it.

I started reading Heinlein in high school after I'd read a good bit of Isaac Asimov, but I was in it strictly for the 1950's B-movie vibe, not the deeper political themes. "Time For The Stars" was my favorite, but to this day I haven't read the original Starship Troopers. Yes, I may have to get around to it.
The thing that bugged me about the Starship Troopers movie was that a lot of people who saw it had your reaction: Robocop meets aliens! Yet this book was the precursor for almost all of our modern shoot em up SciFi movies AND "Halo" like video games.

If the movie had followed the book it would have been far more controversial then the gore and coed shower scene of the Verhoeven film. Starship Troopers & Stranger in a Strange Land are Heinlein's most innovative and political books. This is definitely a must read if you've read and enjoyed other Heinlein books.

To give you a taste of Heinlein's politics here's one of his more famous quotes:

“Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
Old 07-28-17, 07:36 AM
All World

Greatest WWII movie never made - Luciano's Luck. Jack Higgins' (author of The Eagle Has Landed) 1981 novel is tailor made for a early 1960's style WWII movie. The premise is that, in exchange for a shortened prison sentence, renown gangster "Lucky" Luciano agrees to be parachuted into Sicily to meet with the local Mafia leaders in order to get their co operation during the impending Allied invasion. Great action, great intrigue. Please someone in Hollywood, make this film!
Old 07-28-17, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

We have really played out this topic but it does give me a chance to post some great scenes from one of the most important films ever made, best ending to a war film.

Old 07-28-17, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

That ending showed a sculpter at work. That's not something could be done in theatre. The director used the newish medium as well as anyone since. That's creativity. Done in modern days, we'd have gotten a close-up slow motion of the butterfly being eviserated.

"played out?" I don't know. I've gotten some good tips and still haven't gotten an answer to my question, if anyone can figure out the name of that film. It's bugging me now. It's also reminding me of some films I'd not seen in awhile. I've put in and removed in the first 15 minutes so many DVDs of recent movies, played the first five minutes of a Netflix before realizing it was clap-trap (particularly the stand-ups), maybe going back to the art form will be more entertaining. Finding films I've not watched.
Old 07-28-17, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

MontetheCarlo is on a distinguished road
Gettysburg - not the best acting but still engrossing. The artillery barrage is pretty awesome in surround sound. Add in Pickett's Charge, the Angle, 20th Main, etc. TNT used to show it every July 4.

Private Ryan
Dirty Dozen
River Kwai

For newer stuff - Zero Dark Thirty, Black Hawk Down, American Sniper and Lone Survivor (Wahlberg would not have been my choice) were all good.
Old 07-28-17, 11:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Ten Seconds to Hell is one I look forward to but have not yet seen. I like the post WWII Germany (usually Berlin) settings.

Montgomery Clift was an actor I first saw because of this. The Big Lift first then a previously made movie, The Search.

I've forgotten the title of one I liked, maybe someone can help me out? It was a WWII era movie, set in post WII Berlin, I THOUGHT it was a Douglass or Garfield movie but can't find it. The lead plays a JAG sort of role, defending an accused murderer.

Speaking of Garfield, a little bit Cagney without the over the top and pre James Dean, he's probably my favorite non John Wayne WWII setting actor.

Edge of Darkness was a movie that made me appreciate Errol Flynn, who I'd thought of only as an actor in Robin Hood tights. I really need to look up more of his.movies
...are you referring to "Paths to Glory" with Kirk Douglass? WW1 movie I think were he defends his troops because the refuse to attack the Germans in what amounts to a suicide mission.

Old 07-28-17, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontetheCarlo View Post
Gettysburg - not the best acting but still engrossing.
Agreed. I never thought Gettysburg was a masterpiece, but in spite of its length, I always find it easy to watch.
Old 07-28-17, 12:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Agreed. I never thought Gettysburg was a masterpiece, but in spite of its length, I always find it easy to watch.
...I agree on the length but I love Chamberlain's bayonet charge, and Amistead leading his brigade during Picket's charge.
Old 07-28-17, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...are you referring to "Paths to Glory" with Kirk Douglass? WW1 movie I think were he defends his troops because the refuse to attack the Germans in what amounts to a suicide mission.
Naw, great flick but that's not it. Can't figure out why I can't figure it out. I checked post war movies for both Garfield and Douglass. I was sure it was one of them. It is post war. Someone commits a murder, a soldier or a German and he has to defend them. scratches head. Maybe I got the wrong actor....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: