Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-14-18, 01:04 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Long, LaValley, Reed, Stephenson and Santillan are all big league ready or near ready (2019). Only Greene, the best prospect, is years away.
You've argued about these guys both ways -- here, how they're practically big leaguers, then, in another post, how they're not very good at all (especially Reed and Stephenson, who you say can't crack the league's worst rotation).

Sorry, but this is a non-starter.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-18, 01:53 PM
All American

Indiandad,
Even though I once again don't see things the way you do, I thank you for bringing up the topic for discussion.
There are way too many of us on here that have to make every discussion about the Reds into a personal argument about who is smart or stupid.
As long as everyone agrees that I am the smartest guy when it comes to the Reds, I'm fine with everything lol.
Old 07-14-18, 02:57 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I've argued that the the deal you've come up with makes no sense to either club. Obviously I believe every player is tradable. It's just what you'll get in return for that player. You're right, teams will take on the salary of an ex star but it's almost always with no time left on their contract. Usually a position player they could get some use out of. The problem with Bailey is they'll owe him $25M for next year, he'll take up not just a rotation spot but also a spot on the 25-40 man rosters. The only way for him not to take a spot would be if they DFA him which would still cost them the remainder of his contract. NO TEAM WILL TAKE THAT...

Nobody knows what the Mets are going to do. They're legit run by the worst baseball family in baseball. They make Mike Brown look like a genius. But I'd think a team with hopes of a deep run or possible World Series would offer a lot more than the Reds can or should. If the Reds are offering more then I'll have a big problem with their baseball operations department.

Once again Matt Harvey isn't getting extended. They'll take the best offer and he'll be off to a contender. He has no reason to take a small offer and Scott Boras is his agent. The Reds won't even be on his radar in FA.
Old 07-14-18, 03:39 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Votto grounds into double play.

Interested to see how much the game-start temp (97!) drops due to the rain.

Incredible catch by Hamilton last night. One for the books.
Old 07-14-18, 05:52 PM
Varsity

Dale Cooper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
You've argued about these guys both ways -- here, how they're practically big leaguers, then, in another post, how they're not very good at all (especially Reed and Stephenson, who you say can't crack the league's worst rotation).

Reed and Stephenson have had their shot, they’re just not good enough.
Old 07-15-18, 01:21 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Reed and Stephenson both pitched with awful teams behind them. They're both 24-25 and controlled. Guessing you're in the minority when saying they're not good enough without the possibility of ever getting there.

I don't totally understand service time, and I've yet to meet even the most dedicated baseball writer that does, but these guys not getting called up when there are openings may be because of service time and the Reds not wanting to burn one of their options. I expect they'll be September call ups.

I really wish there was something the Reds could do with Homer. I know they aren't going to DFA him as it'd cost them too much but his roster spot is what's really costing the Reds at this point. For the next year and a half he'll take up innings that other's could use to get experience for a possible 2020 push.
Old 07-15-18, 11:40 AM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Indiandad,
Even though I once again don't see things the way you do, I thank you for bringing up the topic for discussion.
There are way too many of us on here that have to make every discussion about the Reds into a personal argument about who is smart or stupid.
As long as everyone agrees that I am the smartest guy when it comes to the Reds, I'm fine with everything lol.
Alright smart guy , who would you target as acquisitions at the deadline or in the offseason and what would your offer be?
Old 07-15-18, 11:56 AM
All American

Quote:

Reed and Stephenson certainly are not center pieces in any deal involving a proven, controllable pitcher. The center pieces would be Greene, Santillan and Long. Three of the Reds top 5 prospects. A very high price for sure for most teams but not necessarily for the Reds. Long is blocked as is LaValley (not unlike Alonso and Grandal were) and Reed and Stephenson are definitely expendable.

From the Mets perspective, assuming they want to tank the next 2 seasons to reload the system, Reed and Stephenson could certainly be useful in that regard (eating innings while Greene and Santillan and others develop while likely helping the team get high draft picks).

The Mets more than likely won't decide if they are moving their pitchers until they make some moves with position players. They need to refill the farm system and will try to do that by moving other guys first.
Old 07-15-18, 12:19 PM
All American

Mike Matheny out as St. Louis manager. Is he on the Reds short list for manager?
Old 07-15-18, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
LOL still pushing that trade for DeGrom and Syndergaard. Mets will NEVER even consider trading Syndergaard.
Old 07-15-18, 12:31 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Mike Matheny out as St. Louis manager. Is he on the Reds short list for manager?
Why would he be? He was sub par in StL the past few seasons. I know the Cards are a better org than the Reds, but they don’t need to always take their scraps.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 07-15-18 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-15-18, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Comparing Reds to Cardinals, only Molina of the 8 positional players could crack the starting lineup, IMO. Reds bullpen also superior. Cards only strength is SP rotation. Now compare W-L record. How important is starting pitching?
Old 07-15-18, 12:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
LOL still pushing that trade for DeGrom and Syndergaard. Mets will NEVER even consider trading Syndergaard.
I'm not "pushing" for it. I have no control over the Reds FO decisions. I was simply responding to others post.
Old 07-15-18, 12:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Comparing Reds to Cardinals, only Molina of the 8 positional players could crack the starting lineup, IMO. Reds bullpen also superior. Cards only strength is SP rotation. Now compare W-L record. How important is starting pitching?
Even more telling, The Reds have the 3rd highest scoring offense in the NL and the 26th best ERA.
Old 07-15-18, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Who would you target via trade or offseason acquisition and what would your offer be?
Old 07-15-18, 12:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Pretty much.
Old 07-15-18, 02:03 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Wonder how bad the Reds feel getting the Cards manager fired?
Old 07-15-18, 02:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why would he be? He was sub par in StL the past few seasons. I know the Cards are a better org than the Reds, but they don’t need to always take their scraps.
Matheny has a .555 winning percentage over his career. He was not sub par the last few seasons. The talent was. It's not like he forgot how to manage.

To simply write him off because of his Cardinal connection is stupid.
Old 07-15-18, 03:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Alright smart guy , who would you target as acquisitions at the deadline or in the offseason and what would your offer be?
Uh......"smart guy"......you mean me? I think you've got the wrong man, officer sir. .
No, I'm one of those guys who waits for the true smart guys (like you, of course) to propose a trade; and then stand back in the bushes and criticize. See, you give me way too much credit (I think ).
Old 07-15-18, 04:18 PM
All American

Seriously, I've never been one to think about possible trades and the like. I'm perfectly happy to sit back and watch what the Reds do.
Nothing wrong with speculating. I'm sure it's fun.
I really don't understand how people get so worked up about it, though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: