Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Should English be the official language of the United States?
Yes 16 64.00%
No 9 36.00%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-19, 09:12 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
The founding fathers realized this country would be fluid. In 200 years 77% of the country might speak Spanish as their 1st language. But through language we are talking about an attack on our culture and refusal to assimilate.

The problem I have with the current state of things is that since we have no official language we must accommodate everyone that does not speak English. If a HS student comes here from Lebanon we must provide them with a translator. This carries over to all things government.

Previous generations wanted to assimilate. There is almost an arrogance of some cultures in this day and age to not assimilate. Even with that said, I have many 2nd generation friends (Hungarian, Mexican, and Lebanese/Syrian) and they have all assimilated very well. NFL fans who have married native white women. The horror.
Old 03-11-19, 09:25 PM
All American

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Пи Пи на кровати
Nice try, but пи is a cognate and not a real Russian word.
Old 03-12-19, 02:48 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Still believe not having a national language puts those who refuse to learn English at a financial disadvantage.

When traveling in California I happened to enter an area where all the signs were non English. I went to book a hotel and they were not able to speak English either. So, I drove another half hour until I was back in America. (This was only an hour south of San Francisco so not near the border.)

My take would be if states want to play games and allow their citizens to speak their native language, then you should expect a drop in potential commererce and income potential. That should then make it the states responsibility to care for the welfare of its citizens, and not the rest of English speaking America. I have no problem with retaining the language of your past, just don't cause me to pay for your unwillingness to integrate
Old 03-12-19, 07:57 AM
All World

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I will be honest I hate it when I make a call and get a computer and then it tells me press 1 for English. If we would not keep English as the official language please let me know so I can by stock in the companies that make road signs.
Old 03-12-19, 08:18 AM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Don’t know if people realize on this forum or not but English is the international language. If you are a commercial international airline pilot, you must speak and understand English.

My great grandfather did not speak English when he came to this country. He learned.
Why is it different today?
Old 03-12-19, 08:53 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
My take would be if states want to play games and allow their citizens to speak their native language, ...
"Allow?" What's allow got to do with it?

English has always been the language spoken by most resident of the USA. At one time the second language was German, another time is was Italian, now it is Spanish.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

If you cannot speak English in this country you are limiting yourself, and every yout' has the opportunity to learn English in school.

Relax.
Old 03-12-19, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
Don’t know if people realize on this forum or not but English is the international language. If you are a commercial international airline pilot, you must speak and understand English.

My great grandfather did not speak English when he came to this country. He learned.
Why is it different today?
What is different today ?

Some people want to pander to given groups, viewing operating in the language of such individuals' birth as a means to gain their trust and loyalty.

Other bilinguals, those of similar lineage that got to America first, go as far as to see using these native languages as a means to operate something of a "padrone' system" - whether for personal economic or political power. Similar to La Cosa Nostra or Tammany Hall.

Whatever motivates them, the real assimilation of these immigrants doesn't matter to such bilingual supporters. They seek personal advantage above the real best interests of these people or the nation in which they now reside. Individual Mexicans and Russians are making big money functioning as the go-betweens for insular communities.

Cultural pimps. Nothing new, stylistically - we just have more immigrants at the moment. I want poor Muzzies to assimilate, not ruminate and fester jealously as victims in ghettos as Europe has done. Same with Somalis, Central/South Americans, and Russians. We have shut immigration down for an assimilation period in the past. This was even back when we had refused to pander on the governmental level. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist..._United_States

It's time to put on the brakes again. An official language is just a small step to continue as the greatest nation on earth, if you see that as a worthy goal. I do.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 03-12-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
"Allow?" What's allow got to do with it?

English has always been the language spoken by most resident of the USA. At one time the second language was German, another time is was Italian, now it is Spanish.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

If you cannot speak English in this country you are limiting yourself, and every yout' has the opportunity to learn English in school.

Relax.
We are doing more to de-incentivize assimilation today, and that is the problem.

My great-grandfather, a German stone mason emigrated from Hungary at the beginning of the 20th century, could find newspapers in different Cleveland neighborhoods to read in German, Hungarian, Czech, Polish, or Russian. He would compare their stories to those in the Cleveland Press. When he got to the job site, the job superintendent spoke English. The mayor and the cops spoke English. Pretty sure that the union business was in English.
Old 03-12-19, 10:18 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
I don't really see any particular need to have it go beyond being a "de facto" language.
That was my thought. We could ask, in what language are all laws and regulations in the U.S. created and first printed in? I think there's the de facto answer.

Of course, we could also use that argument regarding all marriages in the U.S. being de facto between a man and a women. In other words, it was something so basic and fundamental, it didn't need to promulgated into law .....

Come to think of it, maybe we DO need that law on English being the official language of the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
When traveling in California I happened to enter an area where all the signs were non English. I went to book a hotel and they were not able to speak English either. So, I drove another half hour until I was back in America. (This was only an hour south of San Francisco so not near the border.)
Interesting situation - exactly how large was this area? Was it a particular town or county?

That leads us to a follow-up question from the OP to: is a commercial business in the U.S. legally required to do business in English?"

I'm not sure of the answer, perhaps one of our attorneys on here can give some insight.

It reminded me of visiting Honolulu in 1988, and learning how certain establishments catered primarily to Japanese mainlander tourists (which in and of itself reminded me of the book and movie "Rising Sun" by Crichton). Restaurants along Waikiki beach that had menus only in Japanese, jewelry stores with some Japanese employees who did not speak English, hotel public nightclub events where the only patrons were Japanese nationals, etc.

I thought it was interesting - and a little off-putting. The items pictured on that Japanese menu looked delicious and I wouldn't have minded trying the place out.

But my buddy and me were young and care-free back then, and it didn't stop us from talking to some of the Japanese folks we came into contact with and asking nosy questions - and chatting up a few Japanese women who didn't speak much English, even if we didn't know much more than "Ohio gozaimus".
Old 03-12-19, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
What is different today ?

Some people want to pander to given groups, viewing operating in the language of such individuals' birth as a means to gain their trust and loyalty.
That is exactly what is happening. Pandering.

Funny how everyone and their brother is sharing stories of immigrants learning the language before it was "official", now all of a sudden your immigrants were better than these immigrants, and we need to specify what everyone already knows just so trumptards can hassle people and feel like "real" mericins.

My grandparents also learned English but took a few years to speak it well. It helped that there was a strong support in the ethnic community. (Greek and Italian). I wont bore you with their success story. #MAGA.
Old 03-12-19, 10:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Funny how everyone and their brother is sharing stories of immigrants learning the language before it was "official", now all of a sudden your immigrants were better than these immigrants,
I read the same stories you did. Nobody said anything about their immigrants being better than others.
Old 03-12-19, 12:24 PM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I read the same stories you did. Nobody said anything about their immigrants being better than others.
Come on chs1971, you know how Liberals like to re-write history!
Old 03-12-19, 12:41 PM
All World

I am not an expert on immigration history, but it a topic that I know more than a little bit about.

Acculturation takes about two generations, and that's been true since the Pilgrims. Not that their grandchildren went native, but the second generation born here was much more "American" than their grandparents. That's still true.

Open borders is cultural suicide. Those who hate 'Murica are counting on that. They foolishly ignore the results of sowing the wind.
Old 03-12-19, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
He's projecting his lib pseudo-superiority ethos onto us. It's OK. Let him think he has cleverly flipped the script. That willful ignorance is exactly what will leave them on the outside looking in next time around, too.
Old 03-12-19, 09:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I am not an expert on immigration history, but it a topic that I know more than a little bit about.

Acculturation takes about two generations, and that's been true since the Pilgrims. Not that their grandchildren went native, but the second generation born here was much more "American" than their grandparents. That's still true.

Open borders is cultural suicide. Those who hate 'Murica are counting on that. They foolishly ignore the results of sowing the wind.
The interesting thing to me with the second-gen cultural Muzzies is that the young sometimes flip back, to the extreme. It is as if some of the misfit types get sucked back in to some vortex of hate via internet echo-chambers. Scary.
Old 03-13-19, 08:53 AM
All World

Quote:
The interesting thing to me with the second-gen cultural Muzzies is that the young sometimes flip back, to the extreme. It is as if some of the misfit types get sucked back in to some vortex of hate via internet echo-chambers. Scary.
Earlier immigrants came here for economic opportunity or seeking freedom from something. Most found what they were looking for. Most still do.

We either have immigration rules that we enforce or we have open borders, and open borders are suicide.

Your great-grandfather immigrated before WWI, a German from the Austria-Hungarian Empire?
Old 03-13-19, 01:16 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
My great-grandfather, a German stone mason emigrated from Hungary at the beginning of the 20th century.
A German-Hunky? And a stone mason? Your stock just went up in my book cabe.

Szalonna is a summer staple for me and neighborhood friends. Nothing better on a hot summer day with some suds.
Old 03-13-19, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Earlier immigrants came here for economic opportunity or seeking freedom from something. Most found what they were looking for. Most still do.

We either have immigration rules that we enforce or we have open borders, and open borders are suicide.

Your great-grandfather immigrated before WWI, a German from the Austria-Hungarian Empire?
Yes

He paid his passage here first and got a job. Brought the family over one by one. My grandfather, his youngest child, was the first of that branch of my family tree to be born in the US.

Grandpa got called "Kaiser Bill!" at the beginning of a few dozen youthful dust-ups on the streets of Cleveland.
Old 03-13-19, 07:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
A German-Hunky? And a stone mason? Your stock just went up in my book cabe.

Szalonna is a summer staple for me and neighborhood friends. Nothing better on a hot summer day with some suds.
All Schwarzwald blood. Hungarian address. The gypsies passing through painted a rosier picture of life in Hungary than they actually found. He was a DP squared.

You'll like this even better. Grandpa and a few dozen other Kraut friends, led by this guy Walter, eventually brought Henry Ford to the table after 5+ years of this little "wildcat" club they formed.
Old 03-13-19, 08:52 PM
All Ohio

JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All Schwarzwald blood. Hungarian address. The gypsies passing through painted a rosier picture of life in Hungary than they actually found. He was a DP squared.

You'll like this even better. Grandpa and a few dozen other Kraut friends, led by this guy Walter, eventually brought Henry Ford to the table after 5+ years of this little "wildcat" club they formed.
I chuckled a bit at this. Some of my ancestors were Romani from present-day Hungary/Serbia.
Old 03-13-19, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcksnPlrBrs2002 View Post
I chuckled a bit at this. Some of my ancestors were Romani from present-day Hungary/Serbia.
Tarot cards may prove more profitable for you, then, bubba
Old 03-14-19, 07:01 AM
All World

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
My grandfather immigrated from Austria and he always told me the two greatest blessing in his life were , one his family and two becoming a United States citizen. From the way immigrates act and talk today I do not think they make becoming a citizen number two. They do not show the pride in be a citizen that my grandfather showed and spoke of. Never did I see him wavy any flag other that the stars and stripes, in fact the only flag he owned was the US flag.
Old 03-14-19, 12:57 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
That was my thought. We could ask, in what language are all laws and regulations in the U.S. created and first printed in? I think there's the de facto answer.

Of course, we could also use that argument regarding all marriages in the U.S. being de facto between a man and a women. In other words, it was something so basic and fundamental, it didn't need to promulgated into law .....

Come to think of it, maybe we DO need that law on English being the official language of the U.S.

Interesting situation - exactly how large was this area? Was it a particular town or county?

That leads us to a follow-up question from the OP to: is a commercial business in the U.S. legally required to do business in English?"

I'm not sure of the answer, perhaps one of our attorneys on here can give some insight.

It reminded me of visiting Honolulu in 1988, and learning how certain establishments catered primarily to Japanese mainlander tourists (which in and of itself reminded me of the book and movie "Rising Sun" by Crichton). Restaurants along Waikiki beach that had menus only in Japanese, jewelry stores with some Japanese employees who did not speak English, hotel public nightclub events where the only patrons were Japanese nationals, etc.

I thought it was interesting - and a little off-putting. The items pictured on that Japanese menu looked delicious and I wouldn't have minded trying the place out.

But my buddy and me were young and care-free back then, and it didn't stop us from talking to some of the Japanese folks we came into contact with and asking nosy questions - and chatting up a few Japanese women who didn't speak much English, even if we didn't know much more than "Ohio gozaimus".
Figured out I was in San Jose. There is an article titled HOW AMERICA'S BIGGEST VIETNAMESE COMMUNITY MADE THEIR HOME IN SAN JOSE.

How large was the area? It goes on for blocks, I read in the article mentioned above they have 180,000 VIETNAMESE in the city, I assume most all in that one area.
Old 03-14-19, 03:48 PM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
I always laugh when I see this question. It really should be a no brainer Yes answer. One project I worked was for Perfetti Van Melle who was French owned with corporate offices in Switzerland. They make AirHeads here in the states and sell Mentos. I had to travel to the corporate offices and was told not to worry about the language because English was the official language at their corporate office. I was surprised since they were French owned.

I really don't understand anyone who would be against making English the US official language. That doesn't mean we should try to learn and understand other languages, but English is our language so why not make it official?!?!
Old 03-14-19, 11:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
My grandfather immigrated from Austria and he always told me the two greatest blessing in his life were , one his family and two becoming a United States citizen. From the way immigrates act and talk today I do not think they make becoming a citizen number two. They do not show the pride in be a citizen that my grandfather showed and spoke of. Never did I see him wavy any flag other that the stars and stripes, in fact the only flag he owned was the US flag.
There was a nice Austrian club up in Chesterland, Ohio. Ever been ? I think a few Austrians were involved with setting up Boston Mills and Little Mountain ski centers up this way.

I never saw anything but an American flag around either side of my family, but there were a few coats of arms proudly displayed on my mom's side. All were proud to be Americans, first, though.

I think it's terrific when people hold on to their ethnic heritage. More young people should, imo.
Old 03-15-19, 05:11 PM
All District

Braddock is on a distinguished road
Without reading any comments the answer is yes to the op. Anyone who says different is a complete waste of space. Now I am going to go back and read and find the waste of space.
Old 03-15-19, 05:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by m14brian View Post
People freak out on globalists because they usually assume that a globalist has no loyalty to the US. Specifically no care for the protected freedoms enumerated in the Consitution.
Jobs, the economy.

Were you paying no attention during the 2016 election?
Old 03-15-19, 07:26 PM
All Ohio

JcksnPlrBrs2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
Without reading any comments the answer is yes to the op. Anyone who says different is a complete waste of space. Now I am going to go back and read and find the waste of space.
Apologies in advance. Sometimes I use words with more than a few syllables, so you might have some difficulties.
Old 03-15-19, 07:38 PM
All District

Braddock is on a distinguished road
That was pretty lame.
Old 03-16-19, 12:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddock View Post
That was pretty lame.
In the spirit of some of your favorite multi-purpose words - he a dik hed

Display Modes Rate This Thread