Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-19, 05:44 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Side by side, player v. player you can start one left fielder, do you start Kemp or Winker?
It's not even a contest folks. Matt Kemp is a proven major league veteran. This isn't about Winker being ABLE to play, who's your best option in left field TODAY. Now you may decide that Kemp is too expensive for what he gives you, or you may have a feeling that Winker is the future and it's a chance to go cheap, but today, with both on team, Kemp is my leftfielder.
Winker against RHP, Kemp against LHP. It leaves a very good bench bat for late innings.

It may not help Winker develop against LHP as EP pointed out but if you're wanting to win now that is the way to go.

BTW there is no "going cheap" by playing Winker. Kemp still gets paid on the bench.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 05:51 PM
All World

Quote:
The Reds are in a great position this year with the young guys. In the past 2-3 years, we've not had options. We had to put Scott Schebler, Jesse Winker and Phil Ervin out there and if they struggled, so be it. Now, we have Matt Kemp, a profession hitter who'e proven he belongs in the big leagues.
I'm not against the young guys, I just want them to prove they are major leaguers, not just hand them a job. In 2016, just three years ago, Nick Senzel was playing for the University of Tennessee. He's had just under 1,000 plate appearances since being drafted. Winker has about 2,000 minor league at bats. Time will tell.
Winker and Ervin were both 1st round picks. Ervin was taken ahead of Aaron Judge. Schebler was coming off a 30 HR season. It's not like these guys were just grabbed off the streets.
Old 03-12-19, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Winker and Ervin were both 1st round picks. Ervin was taken ahead of Aaron Judge. Schebler was coming off a 30 HR season. It's not like these guys were just grabbed off the streets.
Thatís just sad.
Old 03-12-19, 07:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Thatís just sad.
Yep
Old 03-12-19, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Len Kasper
@LenKasper

22m
Reds just played a 4-man outfield against Kris Bryant, who slapped a line shot single into center, where nobody was playing. I assume this will be a thing during the regular season. Pretty fascinating.
Old 03-13-19, 04:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Len Kasper
@LenKasper

22m
Reds just played a 4-man outfield against Kris Bryant, who slapped a line shot single into center, where nobody was playing. I assume this will be a thing during the regular season. Pretty fascinating.
It's refreshing to see the Reds using actual data to make decisions instead of "gut feel".
Old 03-13-19, 07:18 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
I like Kimbrel for 3 years/$36M. There's no way he'll take that though. Throwing huge money and lots of years at an aging reliever beginning his decline makes no sense for this team. The Reds need to solve the rotation first.

Trading Kemp and signing Keuchel would solidify a good bit of the rotation this year and beyond.
Huge brain fart on my end. Totally forgot Kimbrel is a reliever.
Old 03-13-19, 09:05 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
It happens...
Old 03-13-19, 10:55 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Len Kasper
@LenKasper

22m
Interesting. I'm presuming the bases were empty. Wonder how all of the "outlaw the shift" people will feel about this if it happens during real games?
Old 03-13-19, 04:08 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Interesting. I'm presuming the bases were empty. Wonder how all of the "outlaw the shift" people will feel about this if it happens during real games?
I doubt that it will change anything -- nor should it -- based on one at bat. The shift is just a matter of teams playing the percentages.

Of course, if it happens consistently then they'll adjust. No big deal.
Old 03-13-19, 04:20 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OMG! You admitted that you made a mistake!
That's why you're highly respected on here, my friend.

I'll admit mine, too.....that is, if I ever make one.
Old 03-13-19, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Are we all in agreement that Senzel is starting the year in Louisville? I really want to pick him up in my fantasy league but I don't want to stash him for a month.
Old 03-14-19, 07:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Are we all in agreement that Senzel is starting the year in Louisville? I really want to pick him up in my fantasy league but I don't want to stash him for a month.
I think everyone on here agreed we're going to riot outside GABP if Senzel starts in Louisville because we'll all be mad.

But yes, Senzel is almost certainly going to start in Louisville. My guess is no later than end of May is when he'll be up assuming he has no vertigo issues.
Old 03-14-19, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I think everyone on here agreed we're going to riot outside GABP if Senzel starts in Louisville because we'll all be mad.

But yes, Senzel is almost certainly going to start in Louisville. My guess is no later than end of May is when he'll be up assuming he has no vertigo issues.
Yeah, 14red said we all had to get mad if Senzel isnít starting day 1.
Old 03-14-19, 10:24 AM
All Ohio

I understand the need to gain another year of contract control on Senzel.

Having said that, I generally believe that if you have a player who is CLEARLY the best you have for a particular position, he needs to be in the lineup opening day and most days. Especially when you make off-season moves and spend extra $$$, giving the appearance that you want to win now. April games count in the standings too.

So, if the staff feels like Senzel is clearly the #1 CF, keep him up. Let's win now. If they feel he is only slightly ahead of (or behind) Schebler, send him down to get the contract control.

Either way, I won't riot. But I can see a case for not sending him down.
Old 03-14-19, 03:45 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Troy, I'd say if you want Senzel, go ahead and draft him. You may not get another chance to draft him again. It's fantasy baseball anyway, who cares?

The Reds hopefully make the right move and put him in Louisville for a month or so. And yes SOME will be mad because they simply don't understand the financial constraints of a small market team. If he bombs out no one will ever remember, if he's a star, we'll pat the Reds on the back for saving a year of control.
Old 03-14-19, 04:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Troy, I'd say if you want Senzel, go ahead and draft him. You may not get another chance to draft him again. It's fantasy baseball anyway, who cares?

The Reds hopefully make the right move and put him in Louisville for a month or so. And yes SOME will be mad because they simply don't understand the financial constraints of a small market team. If he bombs out no one will ever remember, if he's a star, we'll pat the Reds on the back for saving a year of control.
And if the Reds start the season 4-7 while he is down because the offense sputters and Senzel tears it up when he comes up and the Reds miss the playoffs by a game?

I'm with Wolves, I say sign Keuchel and play Senzel on opening day and go for it this year.
Old 03-15-19, 07:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
And if the Reds start the season 4-7 while he is down because the offense sputters and Senzel tears it up when he comes up and the Reds miss the playoffs by a game?

I'm with Wolves, I say sign Keuchel and play Senzel on opening day and go for it this year.
Iíd feel okay keeping a year of control if that were the outcome.
Old 03-15-19, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Agree with this.

Also, 14 red you say who cares? It's big money on the line lol. So it does matter.
Old 03-15-19, 02:45 PM
All Ohio

I also care about fantasy baseball. Been in my league since 1988, and in addition to it being a fair amount of $$, there are bragging rights. The last several years it has been more fun than the Reds season.
Old 03-15-19, 04:29 PM
All World

Quote:
I also care about fantasy baseball. Been in my league since 1988, and in addition to it being a fair amount of $$, there are bragging rights. The last several years it has been more fun than the Reds season.
1988? Did you even have internet back then or did you just use baseball cards?
Old 03-15-19, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I did it back before you could do it on the internet as well. Back in the late 90s we just had a live draft and then would be able to update our lineups weekly. We'd meet on Sunday and then accumulate the stats for that upcoming week. If players sat, or got hurt, etc. you were stuck with them that week regardless. There was no editing them daily like they have today. It was a lot of work, but also fun because you had to really be invested. Now, the computer does it all for you. We just used the old baseball weekly papers or the old school magazines for draft research.
Old 03-16-19, 12:30 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Roark should probably get the ball on Opening Day. Finnegan should be dumped like a bad habit.
Old 03-16-19, 04:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Roark should probably get the ball on Opening Day. Finnegan should be dumped like a bad habit.
Finnegan has an option left. However, if the Reds pick up someone else and need a spot on the 40 man he should be near the top of the list to go.
Old 03-16-19, 06:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Meeting for live draft, with each team having a poster board on the wall with picks. It took 8 hours. Beer was involved.

Mid-season league meeting for live trade discussions before the trade deadline. Year end meeting for awards. Great fun.

The guy running the league just used newspaper stats and did manual standings, we were responsible for verifying our teams stats. There was a process to appeal/change stats. Phone calls for weekly transactions. A TON of work for our commissioner. Thank goodness for the internet.
Old 03-16-19, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

Iíve only played fantasy baseball online, but itís definitely my favorite version of fantasy sports and the only one Iíve continued to play.
Old 03-17-19, 10:16 AM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Meeting for live draft, with each team having a poster board on the wall with picks. It took 8 hours. Beer was involved.

Mid-season league meeting for live trade discussions before the trade deadline. Year end meeting for awards. Great fun.

The guy running the league just used newspaper stats and did manual standings, we were responsible for verifying our teams stats. There was a process to appeal/change stats. Phone calls for weekly transactions. A TON of work for our commissioner. Thank goodness for the internet.
I remember having to rely heavily on Baseball Weekly for stats and information before the internet days. Tons of hours were invested to update stats and rosters.
Old 03-17-19, 03:46 PM
All World

Anyone else a little worried about Castillo?
Old 03-17-19, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Anyone else a little worried about Castillo?
As long as puig hits two homeruns a game, weíll be fine.
Old 03-18-19, 07:38 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Iíve only played fantasy baseball online, but itís definitely my favorite version of fantasy sports and the only one Iíve continued to play.
Good on y'all who do play fantasy baseball. I tried both baseball and basketball but the near daily checking of lineups got to me. Football is significantly easier to manage so it's the only one I've stuck with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: