Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Moeller Crusaders

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-22-19, 09:44 AM
Freshman

footballfan123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyPopcorn21 View Post
Heard from an inside source that Valentine dunked on star player Miles McBride in practice this week, leading to Louisville and Kentucky making their offers for both football and basketball. Great news for the such a hard working kid. Can I get a confirmation?
Was back in town for the game this weekend to see a family friend play and was able to get to see him play against St. X. He came off the bench late in the 4th and had a monster dunk. He seemed to bring great energy on the court, not sure if the basketball rumors are true though...
Old 02-22-19, 10:33 AM
Freshman

Canitbe99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOTBALLFANOHIO View Post
I have asked a few people who are close to the program and they do not feel that he is head coach material. An option is Greg Hudson who has coached at East Carolina, University of Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Florida State, and Purdue. He is apparently very interested in the job since he is an alumni of Archbishop Moeller High School. Good credentials I would say.
They hope to have a coach by Spring Break? Why is it taking so long? Isn't this going to hurt the team moving forward to take until April to hire a coach?
Old 02-22-19, 02:39 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Thomas Macvitte

A little off topic, but looks like former Moeller QB Thomas Macvitte has a shot at being the starting QB at Kansas under new coach Les Miles. Miles made a late recruiting play for Macvitte while still head coach at LSU. Macvitte chose Pitt and recently transferred to a JUCO school in Arizona (Mesa Community College) where he had a very good season and was rated the #1 JUCO pro style QB. He signed with Kansas in December.
Old 02-22-19, 09:51 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
A little off topic, but looks like former Moeller QB Thomas Macvitte has a shot at being the starting QB at Kansas under new coach Les Miles. Miles made a late recruiting play for Macvitte while still head coach at LSU. Macvitte chose Pitt and recently transferred to a JUCO school in Arizona (Mesa Community College) where he had a very good season and was rated the #1 JUCO pro style QB. He signed with Kansas in December.
How exciting! Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-24-19, 08:45 AM
All American

The Game
Just listened to Mike Dyer's podcast from about 10 days ago and Naumann was on there talking about the football program moving ahead. After listening to it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they name Naumann HC. It sounds like they want to build on everything that Rosfeld established and most of the pieces are still in place. I think he even said he is hiring a few coaches. Naumann loves Moeller and seems like a great guy, but is he the answer to take the program to the next level? Link to podcast below

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...wQNfZOpTLasT9s
Old 02-24-19, 10:36 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Just listened to Mike Dyer's podcast from about 10 days ago and Naumann was on there talking about the football program moving ahead. After listening to it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they name Naumann HC. It sounds like they want to build on everything that Rosfeld established and most of the pieces are still in place. I think he even said he is hiring a few coaches. Naumann loves Moeller and seems like a great guy, but is he the answer to take the program to the next level? Link to podcast below

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...wQNfZOpTLasT9s
Ill be interested to see what happens. Power T will bring back some of the old school toughness, he ran the weight/ offseason progam in the crable days. (still remember dying during those 15+110's on the old grass field).

But Im skeptical. Heard after the crable days he went down to Cov Cath and it didn't go so well. He's more of the mad scientist in the weight room than a charismatic leader of a program like doug was. Crable's peoples skills were not the best either, but who also was an NFL player (which may have only reinforced his stubbornness)

Now it would be great to get back to the old school toughness, doing more with less yadda yadda which did happen sometimes more than others during the crable days.. butt...... we didn't win a whole lot during the crable days. We did alot of good with the kids who stuck around and some kids worked wonders with their talent levels but with that being said, the intensity of the program scared alot of kids away from the football program and sometimes Moeller in general. And that was 10+ years ago. Things are much more progressive now and d1 college recruiting is bigger than ever and thats part of why ppl pay the $ to send their boys to play at Moeller. Its a huge fad right now at the college level of transferring if you dont get your way and play, so hard to think it won't translate to the high school level. So we need to find the balance of the old school crable days and the Roddy all star teams/no adjustments/playing your star, starting left tackle at DT on 3rd and long (ridiculous) during his last couple years.
Old 02-25-19, 09:12 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post
Ill be interested to see what happens. Power T will bring back some of the old school toughness, he ran the weight/ offseason progam in the crable days. (still remember dying during those 15+110's on the old grass field).

But Im skeptical. Heard after the crable days he went down to Cov Cath and it didn't go so well. He's more of the mad scientist in the weight room than a charismatic leader of a program like doug was. Crable's peoples skills were not the best either, but who also was an NFL player (which may have only reinforced his stubbornness)

Now it would be great to get back to the old school toughness, doing more with less yadda yadda which did happen sometimes more than others during the crable days.. butt...... we didn't win a whole lot during the crable days. We did alot of good with the kids who stuck around and some kids worked wonders with their talent levels but with that being said, the intensity of the program scared alot of kids away from the football program and sometimes Moeller in general. And that was 10+ years ago. Things are much more progressive now and d1 college recruiting is bigger than ever and thats part of why ppl pay the $ to send their boys to play at Moeller. Its a huge fad right now at the college level of transferring if you dont get your way and play, so hard to think it won't translate to the high school level. So we need to find the balance of the old school crable days and the Roddy all star teams/no adjustments/playing your star, starting left tackle at DT on 3rd and long (ridiculous) during his last couple years.

You are correct. Naumann did not have a good track record at Covington Catholic. The kids did not respond well at all to him. And in the end was asked to leave.

I am having a hard time understanding how he seems to be the front runner now for the head coaching position, when a year ago he was not even in the top three considered. Is this a convenient pick? Or the best pick?
Old 02-25-19, 09:58 AM
Moderated User

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post

I agree with you Leonard. Well said.
Old 02-25-19, 02:18 PM
All American

The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canitbe99 View Post
You are correct. Naumann did not have a good track record at Covington Catholic. The kids did not respond well at all to him. And in the end was asked to leave.

I am having a hard time understanding how he seems to be the front runner now for the head coaching position, when a year ago he was not even in the top three considered. Is this a convenient pick? Or the best pick?
I think you would have to think it would be a convenient pick. You said he wasn't a finalist last year and I'm not sure if he applied when Rodenburg got the job. If he did, obviously he wasn't hired. If I remember correctly, that's when he left the program. It sounds like everyone pretty much unanimously agree that Rosfeld had this back on track. Everyone says the culture changed. I don't know if you would consider Naumann his right hand man, but he is very close to Rosfeld. One could certainly assume that Rosfeld would give him high regards to the admin about keeping him as HC and keep the thing moving forward. Again, everything seems to be in place from the one year Rosfeld run. However, the thing that is missing is Rosfeld. He was a home run hire....charismatic...the whole nine yards. Even though everything may still be in place, a HUGE factor in the equation is gone.

Do they risk bringing in someone new....who would have his own system of doing things and upset the apple cart? How would the existing coaches take someone new coming in? Is there another home run hire out there similar to Rosfeld? Like before, I'm sure there is no shortage of candidates out there to be Moeller HC. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 02-25-19, 02:37 PM
Freshman

footballfan123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think you would have to think it would be a convenient pick. You said he wasn't a finalist last year and I'm not sure if he applied when Rodenburg got the job. If he did, obviously he wasn't hired. If I remember correctly, that's when he left the program. It sounds like everyone pretty much unanimously agree that Rosfeld had this back on track. Everyone says the culture changed. I don't know if you would consider Naumann his right hand man, but he is very close to Rosfeld. One could certainly assume that Rosfeld would give him high regards to the admin about keeping him as HC and keep the thing moving forward. Again, everything seems to be in place from the one year Rosfeld run. However, the thing that is missing is Rosfeld. He was a home run hire....charismatic...the whole nine yards. Even though everything may still be in place, a HUGE factor in the equation is gone.

Do they risk bringing in someone new....who would have his own system of doing things and upset the apple cart? How would the existing coaches take someone new coming in? Is there another home run hire out there similar to Rosfeld? Like before, I'm sure there is no shortage of candidates out there to be Moeller HC. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
I agree, I think it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I am curious to see if they do hire an outside coach if they can keep the "culture" here. I know that most coaches are going to want to do their own thing, but since a lot of the pieces are staying it would be interesting to see a mix of these two elements. Could be a really good or really bad thing, would hate to see them take a risk like that
Old 02-26-19, 12:41 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
As long as they don’t pull a Lakota west and name an interim coach for a full season I think we will be ok. Can’t help but be impressed by both Nauman and Rosfeld interviews with Mike Dyer in the past week. Both coaches were incredibly well spoken and insightful- Moeller is lucky to have them both in the program. Winning the GCL last season was a mix of luck and grit- have heard many of the players say they would have run through a brick wall for Rosfeld and his crew last year. That culture word is annoying but some things did change for the better (accountability, parent behavior, less partying, etc) so that is to be commended.

The biggest problem I see with Nauman (who I think is perfectly capable of running the Moeller football program) is I don’t think he has the college connections that Rosfeld and Rosenberg had. Despite all the hudl capabilities and social media and camps and recruiting websites- having a coach with those connections is invaluable for keeping the program strong. Too many kids have dreams of paying at the next level and if they don’t think Moeller can help get them there then they will find somewhere else. I know that Rosfeld and Rosenberg both could make a phone call to get kids opportunities at the next level -the next Moeller coach has to be able to do that as well.

Loveland and West Chester/ Liberty Twp are the 2 biggest draw areas for Moeller- both of those school districts just got great new football coaches. Moeller needs to hit another home run on this choice.
Old 02-26-19, 03:27 PM
All District

FOOTBALLFANOHIO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
As long as they donít pull a Lakota west and name an interim coach for a full season I think we will be ok. Canít help but be impressed by both Nauman and Rosfeld interviews with Mike Dyer in the past week. Both coaches were incredibly well spoken and insightful- Moeller is lucky to have them both in the program. Winning the GCL last season was a mix of luck and grit- have heard many of the players say they would have run through a brick wall for Rosfeld and his crew last year. That culture word is annoying but some things did change for the better (accountability, parent behavior, less partying, etc) so that is to be commended.

The biggest problem I see with Nauman (who I think is perfectly capable of running the Moeller football program) is I donít think he has the college connections that Rosfeld and Rosenberg had. Despite all the hudl capabilities and social media and camps and recruiting websites- having a coach with those connections is invaluable for keeping the program strong. Too many kids have dreams of paying at the next level and if they donít think Moeller can help get them there then they will find somewhere else. I know that Rosfeld and Rosenberg both could make a phone call to get kids opportunities at the next level -the next Moeller coach has to be able to do that as well.

Loveland and West Chester/ Liberty Twp are the 2 biggest draw areas for Moeller- both of those school districts just got great new football coaches. Moeller needs to hit another home run on this choice.
Moeller has such a great tradition and so much potential that they deserve a home run hire.
Old 02-26-19, 04:09 PM
Moderated User

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was talking to another Moe alumn yesterday who is pretty connected and he mentioned the name Tim Tyrell (Head Coach at Hoban) as a person that the Moeller Administration is trying to lure to Moeller as the next Head Coach. Has anyone else heard this? If true and if it happens it would be a home run! GBM!
Old 02-26-19, 08:08 PM
All American

The Game
Quote:
Moeller has such a great tradition and so much potential that they deserve a home run hire.
Came across a facebook support page today that is calling for Greg Hudson to be HC. That would be a home run.

https://www.facebook.com/Moeller-Foo...iQ_x3FWiJ8cGP8
Old 02-27-19, 07:33 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
I was talking to another Moe alumn yesterday who is pretty connected and he mentioned the name Tim Tyrell (Head Coach at Hoban) as a person that the Moeller Administration is trying to lure to Moeller as the next Head Coach. Has anyone else heard this? If true and if it happens it would be a home run! GBM!
I am sure that Moeller is looking at every successful catholic high school coach in the state. There are a few in Ohio. Great place to start.
Old 02-27-19, 08:42 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am sure that Moeller is looking at every successful catholic high school coach in the state. There are a few in Ohio. Great place to start.
wonder if there is any chance we could poach the guy from Hoban.
Old 03-01-19, 09:24 PM
All American

MOEFAN
[QUOTE=MOEFAN;7251503]

Akron Hoban coach would be a good one.

This
Old 03-05-19, 01:18 PM
Freshman

BoneMan15 is on a distinguished road
What about this Magistrula kid from Middletown. I've heard he's got an arm and a higher football iq than Malik.
Old 03-08-19, 07:50 PM
All District

Stormie is on a distinguished road
Awfully quiet on here. What's the word on the street? Any word on the coaching search?
Old 03-08-19, 09:53 PM
All American

The Game
Yep...pretty quiet on here lately. Anyone know who has final authority on hiring coaches? Is it Asbeckís final decision or Hyzdu? I know there is probably some kind of committee, but who has final say?
Old 03-09-19, 09:14 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep...pretty quiet on here lately. Anyone know who has final authority on hiring coaches? Is it Asbeckís final decision or Hyzdu? I know there is probably some kind of committee, but who has final say?
I would think that the President has veto power. Asbeck ultimately reports to Hyzdu. GBM
Old 03-11-19, 08:37 PM
All American

The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
I would think that the President has veto power. Asbeck ultimately reports to Hyzdu. GBM
That is what I was thinking but didnít know how involved Hyzdu or even Kremer are on these matters. I did not know if Asbeck runs that side of things and the higher ups go with whoever he endorses. I do not know Hyzdu but from an outsiders perspective he comes across as a hands on guy.

If history is any indication they will stay local and it will be someone with ties to the program. I believe Rodenberg is the only other coach without personal ties to Moeller, but was a local guy. I wonder if Cov Cathís coach is a candidate? They have been on a dominant run lately and he has turned them into a powerhouse.
Old 03-13-19, 09:28 PM
All American

The Game
Is Verdon still at Moeller? Tonight at the basketball game he sat directly behind Lakotaís bench and cheered them on throughout the game. He looked as dejected as the players after the game. Before the start game started he changed shirts and it said something about loyalty. It just seemed odd if he is what most expect to be the starting qb for Moeller. Did he go back?
Old 03-14-19, 07:24 AM
Junior Varsity

BigMoeFTW is on a distinguished road
Can someone tell Asbeck he's allowed to smile, clap, and cheer on his Crusaders during the game instead of standing there with his arms crossed, serious look on his face, and staring at the cheerleaders the whole game.
Old 03-14-19, 01:37 PM
All District

Quote:
That is what I was thinking but didnít know how involved Hyzdu or even Kremer are on these matters. I did not know if Asbeck runs that side of things and the higher ups go with whoever he endorses. I do not know Hyzdu but from an outsiders perspective he comes across as a hands on guy.

If history is any indication they will stay local and it will be someone with ties to the program. I believe Rodenberg is the only other coach without personal ties to Moeller, but was a local guy. I wonder if Cov Cathís coach is a candidate? They have been on a dominant run lately and he has turned them into a powerhouse.
Is there a timeline to have new coach announced?
Old 03-14-19, 02:58 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is there a timeline to have new coach announced?
Still a couple of weeks away...
Old 03-15-19, 09:59 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Still a couple of weeks away...
Is there anymore speculation on who the next coach will be? I would think this is a very attractive job given the history of Archbishop Moeller football.
Old 03-20-19, 08:20 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
I wonder if they are waiting for the basketball tournament to finish?!?. GBM win state!