Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-12-18, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
That's pretty sad they would vote no, but maybe they are holding out hope the SBAAC will expand it's American (large school) division by 1 to even everything up. I mean really that league would be the best fit in terms of competitiveness, right? It's also not bad for travel unless they're going to New Richmond but... they travel out to Talawanda, Harrison and Edgewood now so at least you wouldn't have as many far trips. I think the SBC should look at expanding 1 team, it makes their football scheduling easier and it adds a larger school to a league that could use it.
That's certainly a reasonable explanation for the no vote.

They stand to be in the top tier in a SBAAC large school division for most sports. They could struggle some in a lot of sports flipping from the SWOC to the ECC. SBAAC would provide a smaller travel footprint overall, too.

When the recently added schools from the old SCOL first came into conversation, it was already well known Amelia would not be in the fold so I would think that they'd prefer an even number.

Does anyone know if this is this something even in discussion behind closed doors?
Old 03-14-18, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Sycamore and Princeton are out or not interested anymore.
I think only 2 other schools applied, Winton Woods and Lebanon High School.
Old 03-14-18, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Sycamore and Princeton are out or not interested anymore.
I think only 2 other schools applied, Winton Woods and Lebanon High School.
My question would be were Princeton & Sycamore ever really "in" or even all that interested? It seems odd that these districts would allegedly apply to join the ECC then walk away? Am I missing something?
Old 03-14-18, 08:14 PM
All Ohio

JUSTGOPLAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
My question would be were Princeton & Sycamore ever really "in" or even all that interested? It seems odd that these districts would allegedly apply to join the ECC then walk away? Am I missing something?
I think we are all missing something....I don't know why the ECC had an open cattle call for new members. I think they should just add Winton only, play an 8 game league football schedule and only need to find 2 non league games each year. I can't see Lebanon being interested in the ECC, those folks identify more with Dayton than Cincinnati. I, too, am skeptical of Princeton and Sycamore being interested in leaving the GMC.
Old 03-15-18, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOPLAY View Post
I think we are all missing something....I don't know why the ECC had an open cattle call for new members. I think they should just add Winton only, play an 8 game league football schedule and only need to find 2 non league games each year. I can't see Lebanon being interested in the ECC, those folks identify more with Dayton than Cincinnati. I, too, am skeptical of Princeton and Sycamore being interested in leaving the GMC.
The only thing that I can think of for Lebanon's interest is the volatility of the GWOC currently. Maybe they want something that poses less of a risk of member musical chairs on the horizon? Still seems like remaining teams probably won't want to shuffle for the sake of shuffling too much. Everyone who was in their division this most recent season appears to be staying. However I could see Trotwood being placed in their division since it has the schools with smaller enrollments.

The GMC has been arguably been the most stable conference in the region over the past 20+ years. I think any larger school that meets their profile would want membership, too. Once someone has been admitted it would take something significant for them to want to leave, IMHO.

It made sense for Milford to leave when they did as they struggled to compete. It made sense for Mason to take their place and they have more than proven that they belong as they have dominated in the All Sports Trophy standings.

I know schools like Princeton and Colerain struggle in a lot of the sports too but they both still have programs (Colerain football, Princeton basketball) that are at the top. And for most, if you are good at one or more of those sports, they aren't as concerned that swimming or cross country are overmatched. Not fair to those athletes, but it's reality for many.

For having one of the smallest enrollments amongst GMC schools, Sycamore has a darn good athletics program overall and a lot of its students have the resources for personal development in their sports outside of what the school can offer (strength/conditioning, personal coaching etc.) to keep them at a high level. Not saying they are too good for the ECC, but I don't see them gaining much other than maybe being more of a championship factor in just a few more sports. Even football, which I think is the measuring stick for a lot of schools fair or not/right or wrong, they've been a playoff qualifier several times recently.
Old 03-15-18, 12:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I agree with you. Why would they want to join the E.C.C.? I think ECC officials wanted Sycamore to apply. I don't think either was interested. Just alot of wishful thinking on some people,
Old 03-18-18, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Lebanon will join the ECC. They have already told the GWOC that they are leaving. The GWOC mandates that a team gives them 2 years notice before leaving. Depending on circumstances will be when Lebanon joins the ECC.
Old 03-18-18, 08:54 PM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Lebanon will join the ECC. They have already told the GWOC that they are leaving. The GWOC mandates that a team gives them 2 years notice before leaving. Depending on circumstances will be when Lebanon joins the ECC.
Crazy, when I predicted this months ago people said I was crazy because Lebanon thought of themselves as a Dayton school and would never leave GWOC.
Old 03-18-18, 10:59 PM
All American

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Lebanon about to dominate the ECC.
Old 03-19-18, 07:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thats a nightmare to find non league games through the season with an odd # of teams in the league
Old 03-19-18, 07:39 AM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimp06 View Post
Lebanon about to dominate the ECC.
Not sure if this is sarcasm but they’ve lost to Kings 4 years in a row. Don’t see how they’re going to dominate the ECC.
Old 03-19-18, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

It will be interesting to see if WW gets into the E.C.C.
Old 03-20-18, 08:50 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Thats a nightmare to find non league games through the season with an odd # of teams in the league
GCL South teams always looking for games.
Old 03-20-18, 08:57 AM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Tackle08 View Post
That's pretty sad they would vote no, but maybe they are holding out hope the SBAAC will expand it's American (large school) division by 1 to even everything up. I mean really that league would be the best fit in terms of competitiveness, right? It's also not bad for travel unless they're going to New Richmond but... they travel out to Talawanda, Harrison and Edgewood now so at least you wouldn't have as many far trips. I think the SBC should look at expanding 1 team, it makes their football scheduling easier and it adds a larger school to a league that could use it.
Real sad that they voted no. In my opinion its a competitive thing and that's it. What else could it be. No way it's travel and the ECC would bring more fans. The ECC travel is way better than the SWOC and equal to the SBAAC. New Richmond is a hike but a way better drive than to Talawanda, Harrison, Ross and Edgewood. In my opinion the SBAAC is out of the question for LM. Look at what has happened to Western Brown when they make the D2 playoffs. I know that Wilmington and CM joining the league helps in being competitive but they're not the ECC competition, let alone D2 playoff competition. LM will never be D3 and eventually will be D1, so a D2 league is the only way to go.

I said this to everyone at LM when they made the ECC, that we need to be in that league. I've always said you might as well play the teams that you will play in the playoffs. I think its sad that teams go 9-1 and 10-0 in a weak league and then get killed in the playoffs.
Old 03-20-18, 11:28 AM
All District

catstix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
I said this to everyone at LM when they made the ECC, that we need to be in that league. I've always said you might as well play the teams that you will play in the playoffs. I think its sad that teams go 9-1 and 10-0 in a weak league and then get killed in the playoffs.
Could not agree more on this. I thought no doubt one of the two teams would be LM entering the ECC as it makes perfect sense for both the school and the league. All other teams have at least something that doesn't fit perfectly. Makes zero sense to me why both sides wouldn't have wanted the partnership.

I saw an article that only mentioned WW and Lebanon as having applied. Are there others? I think Lebanon is at least a discussion, but ultimately a yes from the membership, so that should be a done deal. As for WW, unless the ECC crowd has done a 180 on their mentality and view on this topic, I just don't see them voting them in. So that is where my question stems from. Is there a 10th school out there that applied?

Should be interesting!
Old 03-20-18, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by catstix View Post
Could not agree more on this. I thought no doubt one of the two teams would be LM entering the ECC as it makes perfect sense for both the school and the league. All other teams have at least something that doesn't fit perfectly. Makes zero sense to me why both sides wouldn't have wanted the partnership.

I saw an article that only mentioned WW and Lebanon as having applied. Are there others? I think Lebanon is at least a discussion, but ultimately a yes from the membership, so that should be a done deal. As for WW, unless the ECC crowd has done a 180 on their mentality and view on this topic, I just don't see them voting them in. So that is where my question stems from. Is there a 10th school out there that applied?

Should be interesting!
I would have to agree with your statement about WW getting into the E.C.C. I don't see it happening. Also got some inside info about the situation. I'm trying to confirm that someone actually said it (About WW getting in)
Old 03-21-18, 05:02 PM
All American

I can't see WW getting into the ECC, I think they would rather play a team short.
Old 03-22-18, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can't see WW getting into the ECC, I think they would rather play a team short.
Southwest Ohio would be a better fit for them overall. League fits what they have at the other levels and with girls sports.
Old 03-23-18, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
Southwest Ohio would be a better fit for them overall. League fits what they have at the other levels and with girls sports.
The SWOC is on thin ice. Besided, most of those teams administration hate WW.
Old 03-23-18, 06:03 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
I can see the SWOC imploding once Edgewood and Ross decide to bolt.
Old 03-26-18, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I can see the SWOC imploding once Edgewood and Ross decide to bolt.
Talawanda would likely chip in for gas money along with these two to find a new home.
Old 03-26-18, 04:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Talawanda would likely chip in for gas money along with these two to find a new home.
Ha!!! I forgot about the men of Oxford, it's just a matter of time before they bolt and form some type of league with schools that reside between Cincy and Dayton.

Last edited by mrsimp06; 03-26-18 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-26-18, 07:52 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Monroe, Franklin, Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda, and 3 other schools would make a solid league. Decent travel if such a thing exist for Talawanda.
Old 03-27-18, 07:46 AM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
Monroe, Franklin, Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda, and 3 other schools would make a solid league. Decent travel if such a thing exist for Talawanda.
Harrison, Oak Hills and Northwest?
Old 03-27-18, 07:55 AM
All Region

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Oak hills isn't leaving GMC. Why would they? Sure they are terrible in football, but compete in everything else. Why would your hypothetical league want them? Why/how would one of the largest schools in the state fit in a league of small schools like Talawanda. That's just dumb.
Old 03-27-18, 08:41 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Harrison, Oak Hills and Northwest?
All 3 schools are hauls for everyone. I was thing West Carrolton, Eaton, Trotwood, WW, Little Miami, Clinton Massie, Wilmington all as options. Harrison intrigues me though.
Old 03-28-18, 08:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
All 3 schools are hauls for everyone. I was thing West Carrolton, Eaton, Trotwood, WW, Little Miami, Clinton Massie, Wilmington all as options. Harrison intrigues me though.
Harrison is kind of a unique situation in that while somewhat remote/further out, they definitely identify themselves as more of a "Cincinnati" school than Dayton. However, they are not in a neat and tidy footprint like the ECC has of mostly equally sized schools.

They share physical borders with Ross and Talawanda but places like Franklin, Monroe etc. would be quite a haul, especially for sports other than football that play a lot of weekday/school night games.

They have been in leagues with anyone from NCH and Taylor once upon a time, to schools like Colerain and Oak Hills back in the QCC days (not for football, though) but it seems to be pretty steady with Mt. Healthy and Northwest for over 20 years now (QCC, FAVC, now SWOC).

As a conference member though they have a great profile IMHO: supportive community, high quality facilities (from what I have seen driving past their campus countless times), has teams for every sport that most conferences sponsor (don't have things like lacrosse, field hockey, gymnastics etc.). Also bring a banner program in wrestling that is normally one of the top programs in the region every year. Would guess their fans travel pretty well but I don't know about that.

Talawanda is definitely a long haul from anywhere. They are one of, if not the largest school districts in the state in terms of land area served so that makes for a lot of bus time. My wife is a Talawanda grad and would spend an hour on the bus each way going to elementary school.

My question is-if Ross, Edgewood and Talawanda found a few other schools to create a conference made up of more rural schools, would Harrison follow if invited?
Old 03-28-18, 09:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
Harrison is kind of a unique situation in that while somewhat remote/further out, they definitely identify themselves as more of a "Cincinnati" school than Dayton. However, they are not in a neat and tidy footprint like the ECC has of mostly equally sized schools.

They share physical borders with Ross and Talawanda but places like Franklin, Monroe etc. would be quite a haul, especially for sports other than football that play a lot of weekday/school night games.

They have been in leagues with anyone from NCH and Taylor once upon a time, to schools like Colerain and Oak Hills back in the QCC days (not for football, though) but it seems to be pretty steady with Mt. Healthy and Northwest for over 20 years now (QCC, FAVC, now SWOC).

As a conference member though they have a great profile IMHO: supportive community, high quality facilities (from what I have seen driving past their campus countless times), has teams for every sport that most conferences sponsor (don't have things like lacrosse, field hockey, gymnastics etc.). Also bring a banner program in wrestling that is normally one of the top programs in the region every year. Would guess their fans travel pretty well but I don't know about that.

Talawanda is definitely a long haul from anywhere. They are one of, if not the largest school districts in the state in terms of land area served so that makes for a lot of bus time. My wife is a Talawanda grad and would spend an hour on the bus each way going to elementary school.

My question is-if Ross, Edgewood and Talawanda found a few other schools to create a conference made up of more rural schools, would Harrison follow if invited?
I could also see a situation where Edgewood just leaves for the SWBL and lets Ross and Talawanda figure it out on their own. I would argue that Franklin, Monroe, Valley View, Eaton have better rivalry potential and the travel times for Edgewood are more favorable. Edgewood has history with Talawanda and Ross but times are changing and if the SWBL offered Edgewood a spot then I can't see them turning it down. Talawanda is competitive in most sports outside of Football and once in a blue moon they put together a good team in Football. The location of Ross, Talawanda, and Harrison could be more favorable but they offer strong athletic programs so I am in favor of Monroe, Edgewood, and Franklin forming something with them. I feel like it is inevitable that Northwest and Colerain merge, I just can't see Colerain accepting being D2 in football. So that eliminates them for me.
Old 03-28-18, 09:57 PM
All Region

Man Up is on a distinguished road
well first off I have been reading most of these comments over the last couple of weeks concerning the ecc growing.

I was a bit surprised and disappointed the my WW would apply, why just so they can give more lame excuses as to why WW is not a good fit, what is it this time location? no we can get to most schools within 30 min drive for the most part some maybe 35-40 depending on traffic, so location is not the issue.

WW has a lot of different sports and quite frankly, lets all be honest on here, were not even talking about basketball, baseball, track, soccer, softball, rowing, bowling, lacrosse, tennis, volleyball, etc.

we are only talking about one thing and one thing only, and that is FOOTBALL. lets be real, the main two reasons are
1 football
2 they just don't want us in the league, period.

lets not sugar coat any longer, even though im sure our AD has a tough job scheduling games and yes it would be much much easier to us to be in a league.

from the outside looking in, it seems weve been doing fine considering all the obstacles ww has had to deal with concerning leagues not wanting us in, trying to find schools that will play us, out of town, or 4 hr drives to play games, etc.

all because of one sport-FOOTBALL and to be honest, that's a shame we have grown adults who let their personal agendas get in the way, all because of football. I thought you would want your students athletes to compete and play the best and compete. now is the time I will give a shut out of glen este- west Clermont for stepping up year in and out and having the attitude that well play them and compete.

so you have these schools in the ecc that have great regular seasons going 8-2, 9-1 etc but come playoff time they don't go very far, except Loveland a few yrs ago. because the league is not the strongest and they schedule weak non conference teams.

finally again, lets all just stop pretending and move on ITS ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL

and yes we all don't need to mention schools, but we really know which schools are behind all of this not wanting WW. so to my WW faithful, and the AD lets just move on and one day something will open up that will be a good fit.

Go Warriors
Old 03-29-18, 09:07 PM
Freshman

BlackKnight is on a distinguished road
Let me answer this with a different perspective. I am a parent that lives in the Kings school district, my oldest child is an athlete at Walnut Hills, and my youngest 2 are athletes in Kings.
Add in a twist, even though I live in Kings, I am 2 streets from Loveland High.

I deal with parents from Kings, Loveland, Walnut Hills, and WW on a daily basis. Full disclosure, my wife and I are both WW alumni.

Out here in Kings/Loveland area, there is no want or desire to have WW in the ECC!! The main reasons I hear from parents is the lack of programs on the girls side, especially in 7/8 and freshman/jv levels.

From the Walnut Hills parents, WW is just another Withrow with better football, but all the same issues that Withrow has. Withrow was a necessary evil needed to get to 8 schools.

As long as Lebanon wants in, and the ECC can get either Sycamore, Little Miami, Princeton, or anybody else East of I 71 WW will never get a seat at the ECC table. All the ECC schools sans Withrow all have the same make up. Walnut Hills being an outlier, but based on participation levels they are welcomed with open arms.

Folks think football is driving this bus, but from what I know in ECC land....its girls sports and more local games for the 7-8 graders is the issue. Right now the 7-8 grade girls are somehow playing out in New Richmond and Wilmington and the Kings and Loveland parents are not happy.