Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-17-18, 10:57 AM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
This. Why do you think Walsh football has deteriorated? They are a private school but their football team kinda sucks nowadays. Why does anyone suppose that is. Is it that maybe Woodridge, Hudson, Stow, Aurora, and for a time, Nordonia, have stepped up their programs? So that athletes that in another time would have gone to Walsh, are now finding greener pastures in their local publics.

Cougarfan, which school districts does the majority of Hobans football players come from? Would I be correct in guessing many come from Green, Akron Public, Springfield, Field, Kent Roosevelt, Cuyahoga Falls, Norton, etc? Would I be correct in guessing that not as many of them come from Barberton, Coventry, Manchester, Mogadore, Tallmadge, or Stow?
You are dead on paragraph one. Cougar can answer for himself but Hoban is not getting public kids from the mentioned schools above. They come from Portage County, Akron City and Catholic. No need to state the obvious couple of exceptions to make a point I am aware of the QB and Clark.

I appreciate the civil dialogue Trackguy and Bass.
Old 03-17-18, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This. Why do you think Walsh football has deteriorated? They are a private school but their football team kinda sucks nowadays. Why does anyone suppose that is. Is it that maybe Woodridge, Hudson, Stow, Aurora, and for a time, Nordonia, have stepped up their programs? So that athletes that in another time would have gone to Walsh, are now finding greener pastures in their local publics.

Cougarfan, which school districts does the majority of Hobans football players come from? Would I be correct in guessing many come from Green, Akron Public, Springfield, Field, Kent Roosevelt, Cuyahoga Falls, Norton, etc? Would I be correct in guessing that not as many of them come from Barberton, Coventry, Manchester, Mogadore, Tallmadge, or Stow?
I would agree with the above. Many come out of failing schools and or sports programs. I do know that at least 8 kids transfered back to public schools after freshman year due to grades, missing home school district or inability to get on the field. All of them started and contributed to Norton, Barberton, East, Kent and a Ravenna. I know it also happens at St V as well. Itís not easy leaving your friends and making your way where not many people know you. Hoban does get kids from Mogadore, Manchester, Canal Fulton, Tallmadge as well. Stow kids end up at Walsh or St V it seems.

To answer previous post on 3 D1 kids staying at Kent making a difference. Other than 1, the other 2 may not have been D1 had they stayed. My guess is they wouldnít have. Probably would have played both ways and all special teams and been burnt out or injured.
Old 03-17-18, 06:49 PM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Walsh hired the wrong HC. The better one is across the street.
Old 03-17-18, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Walsh's administration isn't making football a priority. It's just that simple.
Old 03-18-18, 07:52 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Walsh's administration isn't making football a priority. It's just that simple.
Thatís not true. Walsh just built a brand new turf field and is renovating the stadium.
Old 03-18-18, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Thatís not true. Walsh just built a brand new turf field and is renovating the stadium.
It must be nice living in a world of absolutes. It was work that was 20 years overdue. I'll take the word of people with inside knowledge of what's going on at Walsh, thanks.
Old 03-18-18, 09:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
It must be nice living in a world of absolutes. It was work that was 20 years overdue. I'll take the word of people with inside knowledge of what's going on at Walsh, thanks.
It’s probably #5 on the totem pole, but it’s still being looked at.
Old 03-20-18, 10:28 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10 View Post
You're are right, its not those three from Kent but those 3 and 2 from here, two from there, one from there, 1 from here added to the kids that were already going to be there. I have no problem with kids going there that grew up in a catholic home, their parents both went to Hoban and now their kids do and are pretty good athletes. Its the athletes that aren't catholic and drive thru a county or two to attend that I think is the problem and keeps HS sports from being what it should be.
I attended Hoban, was never Catholic, and drove 40 minutes from another county to attend.

I never played sports though, so am I still a problem?
Old 03-20-18, 10:33 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
I attended Hoban, was never Catholic, and drove 40 minutes from another county to attend.

I never played sports though, so am I still a problem?
1 in 10,000 WTH would anyone do that? No you're not the problem just not that smart?
Old 03-20-18, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

I'd characterize staying in an underperforming school district when you can afford a better educational alternative as "just not that smart."
Old 03-21-18, 05:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'd characterize staying in an underperforming school district when you can afford a better educational alternative as "just not that smart."
Same. Which is why I left public schools after 3rd grade.

My mom asked the principal at the time what gifted programs they had and her reply was "if they're so d**n smart they'll figure it out themselves"
Old 03-22-18, 01:51 AM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
Same. Which is why I left public schools after 3rd grade.

My mom asked the principal at the time what gifted programs they had and her reply was "if they're so d**n smart they'll figure it out themselves"
I do not know much about "gifted programs". However based upon my understanding of the financial issues my own district has struggled with, leads me to believe that unsatisfactory "gifted programs" is tied with school funding issues, otherwise known as difficulties with passing levies.
Old 03-22-18, 05:52 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I do not know much about "gifted programs". However based upon my understanding of the financial issues my own district has struggled with, leads me to believe that unsatisfactory "gifted programs" is tied with school funding issues, otherwise known as difficulties with passing levies.
The district I was in had a levy on the ballot pretty much every election at that point. Everyone was getting sick of them asking for more money.