Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-28-18, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Lol
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-18, 08:35 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
That's about as good as it gets from him.
Better than most of the rest of the crap you guys post on her. Most just tear others posts down, rarely put any original thoughts or ideas on here. All things considered, I'll take that as a compliment!
Old 03-01-18, 08:47 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
he's gonna ride this till he dies.
Old 03-01-18, 12:03 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
But he did make 17-18 starts last season and if you take out the worst 2-3 starts, he wasn't awful, and he finished fairly decent once he got his legs under him.
Look, the bar isn't high for Homer. If he can give us 170-200 innings, that's a major win for the club. Not worth $20 mill, but at least half of that.
I'm proud of you for finally getting some numbers close to correct!

Let's eliminate Homer's first 2 starts last year (1.6 IP and 8 earned runs vs Washington, and 3 IP, 6 ER vs Brewers). Then lets throw out the 3.3 IP, 10 ER atrocity vs the Cardinals in August.

In doing this, we leave Homer's season with 83 IP, 41 ER (4.45 ERA) and a WHIP of 1.35. Certainly better than his actual numbers (6.43 ERA, 1.69 WHIP) and basically he becomes a slightly below average MLB pitcher in the other 15 starts. Never mind the fact that if we also permit the other pitchers to conveniently forget their 3 worst starts, the league average numbers would all improve too. why bother with logic?

Answer this: Are you saying that if Homer pitches 170-200 innings in 2018, as a slightly below average MLB pitcher, that is a "major win" for the Reds? For $20 Million? in what way, shape, or form is this a major win for the Reds?

If he pitches like a top 10-15 MLB ace, like his salary indicates he should, that is a major win for the Reds. If he gets traded and some team gives us a prospect and pays 25% of his salary, that is a major win for the Reds.

If he pitches 170-200 mediocre innings (ERA 4.45, WHIP 1.35), which is what we all expect, that is NOT a win for the Reds. It is the sad reality of where we are.
Old 03-01-18, 12:15 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Because he was injured before and now he isn't wolves. Getting anything for $20 million is a major win!

14Red actually believes this. ^
Old 03-01-18, 12:36 PM
All World

Wolves is a solid poster. No bringing up bullsh1t with him.

Agreed on his points
Old 03-01-18, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Because he was injured before and now he isn't wolves. Getting anything for $20 million is a major win!

14Red actually believes this. ^
No matter how bad Homer is, as long as the reds can trot him out there for 150+ innings, thatís a major win. How pathetic is that statement?
Old 03-01-18, 02:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
No matter how bad Homer is, as long as the reds can trot him out there for 150+ innings, thatís a major win. How pathetic is that statement?
Yeah rather those innings go to a relatively unknown arm and see what we got.
Old 03-01-18, 02:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post

Answer this: Are you saying that if Homer pitches 170-200 innings in 2018, as a slightly below average MLB pitcher, that is a "major win" for the Reds? For $20 Million? in what way, shape, or form is this a major win for the Reds?

If he pitches like a top 10-15 MLB ace, like his salary indicates he should, that is a major win for the Reds. If he gets traded and some team gives us a prospect and pays 25% of his salary, that is a major win for the Reds.

If he pitches 170-200 mediocre innings (ERA 4.45, WHIP 1.35), which is what we all expect, that is NOT a win for the Reds. It is the sad reality of where we are.
Considering Homer pitched in 26 games, about 125 innings the last 3 complete seasons, if he throws 170-200 innings this season this means A. he's not injured for a significant amount of time and B. that he's been effective enough he's not getting yanked after 3 innings.
For $21 mill, and I realize that's alot, but he's getting paid weather he pitches 200 innings or 2 innings, I think that's a major win. I'm not comparing him to Clayton Kershaw. There isn't a team that's going to give us anymore than a bag of baseballs for Homer at this point, he has no value at his contract.
Old 03-01-18, 02:49 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
No, I did not say that. If he is bad, they will not trot him out here for 150 innings, they'll pull the plug.

Riddle me this EP, at any time in the last 3 seasons, have you felt the team was not trying to win baseball games? It's not like they are putting guys out there who are not trying to win. I've never felt Price was throwing in the towel, or just throwing a game away, have you?

Homer will have to be an effective major league pitcher to stay in the rotation. As long as he is healthy, and he's keeping us in games for 5-6 innings, he'll get the ball every 5 days. His salary dictates that.
Old 03-01-18, 03:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Considering Homer pitched in 26 games, about 125 innings the last 3 complete seasons, if he throws 170-200 innings this season this means A. he's not injured for a significant amount of time and B. that he's been effective enough he's not getting yanked after 3 innings.
For $21 mill, and I realize that's alot, but he's getting paid weather he pitches 200 innings or 2 innings, I think that's a major win. I'm not comparing him to Clayton Kershaw. There isn't a team that's going to give us anymore than a bag of baseballs for Homer at this point, he has no value at his contract.
You have incredibly low standards. That isn't a win. Or even a major win. A win is paying Homer $20 million and having him perform as a top 15 pitcher. A major win is paying homer $20 million and having him perform as a top 5 pitcher. The only way for the Reds to win with Homer is for him to perform as a top 15 pitcher (incredibly unlikely) or for someone to take him off the Reds hands.
Old 03-01-18, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
If he's getting yanked after three innings every start then he shouldn't be in the rotation at all
Old 03-01-18, 03:16 PM
All World

Quote:
No, I did not say that. If he is bad, they will not trot him out here for 150 innings, they'll pull the plug.

Homer will have to be an effective major league pitcher to stay in the rotation. As long as he is healthy, and he's keeping us in games for 5-6 innings, he'll get the ball every 5 days. His salary dictates that.
Quote:
Homer Bailey makes too much money to just sit him in the bullpen and not let him pitch. I don't understand why this is so hard to figure out for people. IF HEALTHY, Homer is pitching, flat out. He can have a 8.00 ERA, does not matter.
Good to see 14Red either contradicting himself or finally learning how baseball works.
Old 03-01-18, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
You have incredibly low standards. That isn't a win. Or even a major win. A win is paying Homer $20 million and having him perform as a top 15 pitcher. A major win is paying homer $20 million and having him perform as a top 5 pitcher. The only way for the Reds to win with Homer is for him to perform as a top 15 pitcher (incredibly unlikely) or for someone to take him off the Reds hands.
I agree with you that to earn $20 mill this season, he needs to perform "like a Clayton Kershaw"....but don't you think you are being extremely unrealistic??? I mean let's go back to 2014, when the contract was signed. Yes, the expectation was Homer would throw 200-220 innings, win 15+ games per season and be our #1 or #2 pitcher. To me that all changed with the injuries. Last year, getting 18 starts was huge, and the last month was especially huge, that's why I forgive him some on the first few starts.

It's a foregone conclusion that it wasn't a good contract for the club, but at this point, it's not football and you can't just cut him, and he has no trade value, so cross our fingers and hope he stays healthy and can at least eat up innings. My vision of success for Homer is innings pitched, failure would be a setback and he only start 10 or less games and we get nothing out of him. Both are entirely possible.
Old 03-01-18, 03:26 PM
All World

No, I'm not being unrealistic when I say I say the only way for the Reds to "win" with Homer is to trade him or have him pitcher like a top pitcher. The Reds have lost with Homer. Having him pitch 200 innings with a 5+ ERA is not a win.
Old 03-01-18, 03:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Good to see 14Red either contradicting himself or finally learning how baseball works.
Of course, everyone but 14red remembers that post about Homer being so expensive he will start even with an 8 era. What a dumbazz.
Old 03-02-18, 11:45 AM
All Ohio

Look, I'm rooting for Homer really hard. I like him and his approach / attitude. I want him to be healthy, start 32 games, and be above average. I'm guessing most of us are in this camp. That's the best we can hope for.

But 14Red's standard for "major win" for the Reds is apparently that Homer is "better than last year".

My standard for "major win" for the Reds is "get their money's worth or more", or "get decent value in a trade".
Old 03-02-18, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Yeah, a “major win” is living up to his contract, so 32 starts; 220 innings; whip <1.3; etc. Not sure how anything short is a “major win”.
Old 03-02-18, 01:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Look, I'm rooting for Homer really hard. I like him and his approach / attitude. I want him to be healthy, start 32 games, and be above average. I'm guessing most of us are in this camp. That's the best we can hope for.

But 14Red's standard for "major win" for the Reds is apparently that Homer is "better than last year".

My standard for "major win" for the Reds is "get their money's worth or more", or "get decent value in a trade".
Ok wolves, please put a percentage on, with what you know now, of Homer's chances of throwing 200 innings, winning 15 games and having an ERA below 3.00. Just give me your honest expectation on how likely that's going to happen.
Old 03-02-18, 01:02 PM
All World

1%. What does that have to do with anything he said?
Old 03-02-18, 01:13 PM
All World

Quote:
No, I'm not being unrealistic when I say I say the only way for the Reds to "win" with Homer is to trade him or have him pitcher like a top pitcher. The Reds have lost with Homer. Having him pitch 200 innings with a 5+ ERA is not a win.
Who in the world would trade for Homer, and pay him $21 mill this season??? You find that team and I'd be ok with a trade, but we deal in reality, not a fantasy world.
Old 03-02-18, 01:21 PM
All World

The irony in that post is great. Fantasy land

Let's play fantasy land

Let's say Bailey is desired by a team and they won't offer any prospect of value but would take on part of his salary. What percentage of his salary would you eat just to have him off the books and a rotation spot available to an arm in the Red's system who is relatively unproven.
Old 03-02-18, 01:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Who in the world would trade for Homer, and pay him $21 mill this season??? You find that team and I'd be ok with a trade, but we deal in reality, not a fantasy world.
You illiterate dumbazz. When did I say someone would trade for Homer and pay him $21 million this season?
Old 03-02-18, 03:08 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You illiterate dumbazz. When did I say someone would trade for Homer and pay him $21 million this season?
In the same post that Wolves said Homer had to win 15 games and have a. ERA below 3.00.

Old 03-02-18, 03:10 PM
All World

Quote:

What would you do if by say June 1st Homer has a 5+ ERA and just sucks?
Old 03-02-18, 03:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
The irony in that post is great. Fantasy land

Let's play fantasy land

Let's say Bailey is desired by a team and they won't offer any prospect of value but would take on part of his salary. What percentage of his salary would you eat just to have him off the books and a rotation spot available to an arm in the Red's system who is relatively unproven.
It depends who they have to replace him...

If the rest of the rotation is healthy and performing and there is someone in the minors who needs a spot in the bigs then I'd eat 90% or more.
Old 03-02-18, 03:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
It depends who they have to replace him...

If the rest of the rotation is healthy and performing and there is someone in the minors who needs a spot in the bigs then I'd eat 90% or more.
Not privy to who might need the innings but if there is someone who is showing potential in the minors I would try to open up the spot.
Old 03-02-18, 04:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Long relief.
Old 03-02-18, 04:23 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ok wolves, please put a percentage on, with what you know now, of Homer's chances of throwing 200 innings, winning 15 games and having an ERA below 3.00. Just give me your honest expectation on how likely that's going to happen.
< 2% chance. I very plainly said in my post (see below), that I expect he will be a so-so MLB pitcher.

Quote:
Old 03-02-18, 04:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
He goes to the bullpen. money is spent and wasted. let's focus on getting young guys ready for the future of the Reds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: