Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #331  
Old 11-28-17, 03:21 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
What Aggrogate said. Money isn't a thing for him he wants to play against the best and win. The Reds were the 5th worst team last year.
If he wants to play AGAINST the best then Cincy would be a reasonable place for him based on your logic.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #332  
Old 11-28-17, 03:27 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
If he wants to play AGAINST the best then Cincy would be a reasonable place for him based on your logic.
No it wouldn't. Pitching for Cincinnati, nearly 11% of the batters he will pitch to batters who hit under 0.200. In the AL he will never almost never pitch to another pitcher.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 11-28-17, 03:49 PM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 755
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
So you want the Reds to "act" like they are trying to land him. What is your sales pitch?
You put your best foot forward and do the best you can, just like any business would. My company always makes a pitch even with small chance of success.

Sell what you have: Great team history, very supportive local market, good young nucleus of players. "We are close to completing a rebuild, we have some excellent young players and you will be a key part of turning the Reds back into a winner. If you can help us win here you will be revered forever like Rose, Morgan and Bench."
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 11-28-17, 04:11 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
You put your best foot forward and do the best you can, just like any business would. My company always makes a pitch even with small chance of success.

Sell what you have: Great team history, very supportive local market, good young nucleus of players. "We are close to completing a rebuild, we have some excellent young players and you will be a key part of turning the Reds back into a winner. If you can help us win here you will be revered forever like Rose, Morgan and Bench."
Thank you.

I would add Joey Votto's story. He was drafted 44th overall (2nd round) and worked hard (like Ohtani presumably will). Votto received excellent coaching along the way along with world class facilities and medical/training staff. All of this led to him becoming the best hitter in baseball. The Reds have shown that for generational talent such as Votto (and Ohtani) they are willing to pay for greatness. The Reds helped Votto become the best and can do the same for Ohtani.

How do the Reds overcome the lack of DH?
Make Ohtani an everyday player first and use him as a closer.
He hardly pitched this past season and any team expecting him to throw 150+ innings would be risking his health and long term earning potential. Being a closer allows him to dominate the NL from the plate and the mound while protecting him longterm.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 11-28-17, 04:43 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,379
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
wolves82 and Indiandad:



Excellent thoughts from both of you.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 11-28-17, 05:05 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
One advantage the Reds have is that they won't be doing anything in the FA market until January. Other teams may assume they have no shot at Ohtani (as some posters here think) and therefore put no real effort into swaying him. Choosing instead to focus on more attainable Free Agents.
For those of you who think it isn't worth the effort:

What do the Reds have to lose? Ohtani will choose his team by the time the Reds start searching the rummage bin of Free Agents.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 11-28-17, 05:41 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,707
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Good post Indian and wolves.


I would also maybe add he would be playing in a hitters friendly ball park. But that could hurt the pitching angle of the pitch.

Also as wolves stated Cincinnati is very loyal to their sports greats and is a relatively easy media/fan base market. We aren't too tough on our players and there is much less pressure as opposed to s big city market like New York.

Last edited by Arrogate; 11-28-17 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 11-28-17, 06:32 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Good post Indian and wolves.


I would also maybe add he would be playing in a hitters friendly ball park. But that could hurt the pitching angle of the pitch.

Also as wolves stated Cincinnati is very loyal to their sports greats and is a relatively easy media/fan base market. We aren't too tough on our players and there is much less pressure as opposed to s big city market like New York.
There's also Opening Day in Cincy. Some may think that is corny to bring up but many players have marveled at the spectacle that is Opening Day in Cincinnati.
If Dick Williams announced he was bringing Ohtani in for a recruiting visit and he wanted an "Opening Day in December", how many fans would show up?
That kind of love might have a lasting impression on a 23 year old.

As for Sponsors to Supplement his league minimum salary, I would imagine many of the Reds sponsors (P&G, Kroger, Great American Insurance and many others) would be willing to offer him some nice deals. Of course the usual players (Nike, Under Armour, Addidas etc) will offer him deals regardless of where he plays. They'll be no shortages of sponsors (assuming due diligence finds no skeletons in the closet). There would even be a number of local businesses that would be willing to "help" bring Ohtani to Cincy with sponsorship deals.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 11-28-17, 07:04 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,278
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Like I said, mine.

I assessed Iglesias would bring 3-4 top prospects but not Minnesota's because they aren't good enough. If EP was accurate about his assessment of Iglesias worth the Reds would gladly take that deal and Minnesota would gladly offer it. More than likely if the Twins inquired they were told they have no one that interest the Reds.

Houston on the other hand would make a good fit.
Why would I want that deal?
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 11-29-17, 08:16 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Still trying to figure out how the Minnesota blogger is suggesting the Iglaesis trade is worth what both you and IndianDad said. Won't answer for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 11-29-17, 08:18 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
There's also Opening Day in Cincy. Some may think that is corny to bring up but many players have marveled at the spectacle that is Opening Day in Cincinnati.
If Dick Williams announced he was bringing Ohtani in for a recruiting visit and he wanted an "Opening Day in December", how many fans would show up?
That kind of love might have a lasting impression on a 23 year old.

As for Sponsors to Supplement his league minimum salary, I would imagine many of the Reds sponsors (P&G, Kroger, Great American Insurance and many others) would be willing to offer him some nice deals. Of course the usual players (Nike, Under Armour, Addidas etc) will offer him deals regardless of where he plays. They'll be no shortages of sponsors (assuming due diligence finds no skeletons in the closet). There would even be a number of local businesses that would be willing to "help" bring Ohtani to Cincy with sponsorship deals.
I heard opening day parade/celebration is happening nearly a week later this coming year. Not sure if that's true or not.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 11-29-17, 09:27 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I heard opening day parade/celebration is happening nearly a week later this coming year. Not sure if that's true or not.
Yes. Conflict with Easter shopping.
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 11-29-17, 09:28 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Still trying to figure out how the Minnesota blogger is suggesting the Iglaesis trade is worth what both you and IndianDad said. Won't answer for some reason.
I've answered it. You don't like the answer.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 11-29-17, 09:31 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I've answered it. You don't like the answer.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Like I said, mine.
Yet, earlier you said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Actually he is suggesting what you said Iglesias is worth.
So which is it?
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 11-29-17, 01:42 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Nope.



Yet, earlier you said this:


So which is it?


I explained my stance. You took 4 words out of a lengthy response then claim I didn't answer...

Stop being a troll.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 11-29-17, 01:49 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
e_p says: He's worth one valued prospect.

IndianDad says: He's worth 3-4 valued prospects.

IndianDad says: Blogger agrees with both.

Nope. So which is it?
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 11-29-17, 02:09 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
e_p says: He's worth one valued prospect.

IndianDad says: He's worth 3-4 valued prospects.

IndianDad says: Blogger agrees with both.

Nope. So which is it?
Is that all I said???

I know you're trying very hard to discredit anything I say but you're failing miserably.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 11-29-17, 02:10 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yeah, that's all you said.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 11-29-17, 02:13 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah, that's all you said.
Liar
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 11-29-17, 02:14 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Feel free to prove me wrong. It's telling you haven't even attempted that other than saying "Nuh uh!"
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 11-29-17, 03:04 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Feel free to prove me wrong. It's telling you haven't even attempted that other than saying "Nuh uh!"
Go back and read.... slowly.

Maybe you'll understand then.


I've explained it a number of times. You just don't like the explaination.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 11-29-17, 03:10 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
That doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't I like your explanation? I'm not e_p.

All this tells me, and anyone else, is you can't prove me wrong. You just keep saying "Nuh uh!" over and over.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 11-29-17, 03:40 PM
Monclova Steve Monclova Steve is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-26-09
Location: Monclova, OH
Posts: 1,379
Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't I like your explanation? I'm not e_p.

All this tells me, and anyone else, is you can't prove me wrong. You just keep saying "Nuh uh!" over and over.
This is obviously very, very important to you that you prove him wrong.....and on -- what appears to be -- a very minor point. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps you could explain.

I'm not being critical, just asking.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 11-29-17, 04:04 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I just want him to back what he says. Hold a man to his word, as they say.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 11-30-17, 12:54 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: not Cleveland
Posts: 17,463
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Adelman signs with a Korean team. Kiss your World Series hopes goodbye

Jim Kelch also gone. Thank God. Seemed like a pretty decent guy but his lack of enthusiasm was on par with Paul Keels.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 11-30-17, 01:44 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I just want him to back what he says. Hold a man to his word, as they say.
Go back and read from page 8 on. I certainly said far more than 4 words.... i stated my position very clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 11-30-17, 01:45 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Adelman signs with a Korean team. Kiss your World Series hopes goodbye

Jim Kelch also gone. Thank God. Seemed like a pretty decent guy but his lack of enthusiasm was on par with Paul Keels.
Good move for Adelman.

Welch was extremely difficult to listen to.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 11-30-17, 01:49 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
This is obviously very, very important to you that you prove him wrong.....and on -- what appears to be -- a very minor point. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps you could explain.

I'm not being critical, just asking.
Strangely he is obsessed with Proving that others are wrong. Not so much to prove he was right because he rarely takes a stance on an issue.
He reminds of the type of person who has to pull everyone down to his level rather than pull himself up to theirs to feel good about himself. Sad really....
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 11-30-17, 01:52 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 2,799
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
The Reds are being very hush hush (and rightly so) on their recruiting pitch to Ohtani although Dick Williams did say he felt good about the Reds chances.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 11-30-17, 02:11 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,041
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Not so much to prove he was right because he rarely takes a stance on an issue.
Liar. You can look on this page for proof of that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division II Schedules EagleFan Archives 32 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division III Schedules EagleFan Archives 19 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division IV Schedules EagleFan Archives 28 10-25-17 11:29 AM
2017 Division V Schedules EagleFan Archives 14 10-25-17 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz