Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-17, 12:56 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Columbus Crew Stadium to become available?

Looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to a new stadium in the near future. Just remains to be seen whether it is in Columbus or another city (Austin, TX?).

http://mls2atx.com/precourt-sports-v...-austin-texas/

Any chance the OHSAA or a HS affiliated football program takes over the current stadium? Or potentially a multi-use stadium for Columbus area high schools and smaller college football programs?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 12:59 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Looks like Columbus Crew will be moving to a new stadium in the near future. Just remains to be seen whether it is in Columbus or another city (Austin, TX?).

http://mls2atx.com/precourt-sports-v...-austin-texas/

Any chance the OHSAA or a HS affiliated football program takes over the current stadium? Or potentially a multi-use stadium for Columbus area high schools and smaller college football programs?
Capital U., Columbus City Schools, Watterson? I think it would be great purchase for the OHSAA with Multi-use Turf.... Football, Soccer, Field Hockey, and Lacrosse
Old 10-17-17, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Lot of Elder fans have said it was a great place to watch a football game. Elder played there in both 2002 and 2003 in the State Semifinals. Would actually be a decent size for the football State Championships but I don't want to open that can of worms.
Old 10-17-17, 01:08 PM
All District

TrojanBuc4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Lot of Elder fans have said it was a great place to watch a football game. Elder played there in both 2002 and 2003 in the State Semifinals. Would actually be a decent size for the football State Championships but I don't want to open that can of worms.
What a game there in 2002 between Findlay and Elder. Elder crowd was enormous. Crew stadium was all grass back then. I assume it is field turf now and would be usable for OHSAA playoffs?
Old 10-17-17, 01:10 PM
Go Buckeyes

I watched a game there about 10 years ago and it is a great place to watch a game. Not having a track around the field always helps to give better seating for football games.
Old 10-17-17, 01:14 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think it would be great purchase for the OHSAA with Multi-use Turf.... Football, Soccer, Field Hockey, and Lacrosse
OHSAA has no business having enough money to buy that stadium.
Old 10-17-17, 01:16 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
OHSAA has no business having enough money to buy that stadium.
What if they entered into a long-term rental agreement at a very low rate?

I can't imagine alot of other interest in this stadium other than to tear it down and build something else there.
Old 10-17-17, 01:22 PM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Perfect venue for high school football given the size of the stadium and the sight lines. I watched the Coffman/X game there in 2001 when X shut down the Brady Quinn to Chinedum Ndukwe connection and was disappointed that we never went back. The game was moved there from Welcome back in the days when Welcome wasn't big enough to hold the X crowd. Still not sure what has happened with crowds since those days.
Old 10-17-17, 01:24 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
What if they entered into a long-term rental agreement at a very low rate?
Not happening

The OHSAA nor any school district in Ohio has the money to purchase or the manpower to deal with a stadium such as this.
Old 10-17-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The perfect size stadium in the perfect location.

It'll never happen.

Also, I heard back in 2002 or 2003 when Elder played there that the stadium was constructed like a giant erector set and could possibly be dismantled and moved. Has anyone else ever heard that?
Old 10-17-17, 01:30 PM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Colerain played Tyler Lee, Texas there several years ago. Great venue for big high school games. It was natural grass then.
Old 10-17-17, 01:52 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
The stadium sits on Fair Ground property. My guess is that even though Precourt might own the stadium, whatever lease deal probably entails there actually being a team occupying the stadium for it to stay standing and occupying their land. They don't want a Pontiac Silverdome situation where the stadium falls apart yet nobody wants to/can do anything about it years, if not decades later.

So, my guess is the Fair gets the stadium at a remarkable discount. The stadium was fairly cheap when it was built and has a lot of life left in it. Switch it to turf, and it would make for a great local/regional stadium to be rented out for a variety of events, including OHSAA state contests.

Honestly, it is the perfect location and sized stadium for the OHSAA finals and dozens of other regular and post season games. Not just football. Soccer and lacrosse finals there work perfectly as well.

It's just a matter of who owns it once the Crew does move (wherever it may be), and if they want to milk it for more money. Because at this point, the stadium will survive for quite some time before major upkeep is needed.
Old 10-17-17, 01:53 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
A thread from a year ago about if the OHSAA should consider purchasing MAPFRE Stadium.

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296012
Old 10-17-17, 01:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
The perfect size stadium in the perfect location.

It'll never happen.

Also, I heard back in 2002 or 2003 when Elder played there that the stadium was constructed like a giant erector set and could possibly be dismantled and moved. Has anyone else ever heard that?
I believe there were some upgrades within the last decade or so that might make that much more difficult. Also, the stage was built well after. But, yes, the stadium is rather simple construction and probably easily dismantled, even if not intentionally built that way. But who else would need that size stadium with bleachers, who wouldn't just go build their own from scratch?
Old 10-17-17, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The stadium sits on Fair Ground property. My guess is that even though Precourt might own the stadium, whatever lease deal probably entails there actually being a team occupying the stadium for it to stay standing and occupying their land. They don't want a Pontiac Silverdome situation where the stadium falls apart yet nobody wants to/can do anything about it years, if not decades later.

So, my guess is the Fair gets the stadium at a remarkable discount. The stadium was fairly cheap when it was built and has a lot of life left in it. Switch it to turf, and it would make for a great local/regional stadium to be rented out for a variety of events, including OHSAA state contests.

Honestly, it is the perfect location and sized stadium for the OHSAA finals and dozens of other regular and post season games. Not just football. Soccer and lacrosse finals there work perfectly as well.

It's just a matter of who owns it once the Crew does move (wherever it may be), and if they want to milk it for more money. Because at this point, the stadium will survive for quite some time before major upkeep is needed.
I agree Sykotyk. The "soccer" configuration of Crew Stadium makes it ideal for watching football - you are right on top of the action. And switching the field to artificial turf would still keep it as a viable location for the girls & boys soccer finals and a likely USL move into Columbus if FCC receives an MLS expansion bid (which is more likely if the Crew move).

Frankly, this should become the permanent location for the high school football and soccer championship games and as many semifinal games as can be accommodated.
Old 10-17-17, 02:21 PM
All District

NEOballer is on a distinguished road
The Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton is miles ahead of this stadium. Would make no sense to move the championships there.
Old 10-17-17, 02:24 PM
All American

serpico is on a distinguished road
If it would be such a financial boon to buy it and rent it out I'm sure there will be a buyer and they'll do just that.

I'm guessing it isn't quite the low-hanging fruit that many believe it is.
Old 10-17-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
This is an interesting development for MLS. Not only with FCC looking to become MLS, but San Antonio is also looking to become an MLS Franchise.

As for the future of the stadium, it is still viable for many things, including a concert venue. I wonder if the Ohio State Fair would have a say in anything.
Old 10-17-17, 02:36 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
They would have to shrink the field as even for high school soccer it's too wide! I guess it would be equivalent to a stadium with a track around it as to how far the lower deck would be from the field.
Old 10-17-17, 02:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I agree Sykotyk. The "soccer" configuration of Crew Stadium makes it ideal for watching football - you are right on top of the action. And switching the field to artificial turf would still keep it as a viable location for the girls & boys soccer finals and a likely USL move into Columbus if FCC receives an MLS expansion bid (which is more likely if the Crew move).

Frankly, this should become the permanent location for the high school football and soccer championship games and as many semifinal games as can be accommodated.
Correct. I'm a fan of the Crew, and when I lived in Steubenville drove over for many games. Since moving to Youngstown the trip to Columbus is a bridge too far now. But, FCC impressive showing combined with Columbus' lackluster attendance and dated and bare-bones stadium seem to show that Cincinnati may wind up in the MLS while Columbus steps out the side door. It would be a shame. But, as you said, I could see their USL side being placed in Columbus, possibly even working to keep the same name/colors for those fans who won't support anything else.

As for the stadium itself, it still has a good 10-15 years of life before major upkeep is going to become a funding issue. If OHSAA doesn't own it, just as PIAA does with Hersheypark Stadium, it's the perfect location and sized facility to handle all the major OHSAA championships and adequate to handle playoff games of all sorts and even weekly Columbus area games that may be looking to be a 'marquee' event. Somewhat similar to InfoCision hosting a Friday game every week for APS, though maybe Columbus would look beyond the city schools for matchups.

And it still works as a concert venue, too. No reason to dismantle the stage end.
Old 10-17-17, 02:50 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Not likely to happen, but if the OHSAA owned it, it would gets used regularly.

Big local showcase games Ohio v the Nation + I'd bet the GCL and Ignatius/Ed's would meet to play neutral site games (like Moe/Ignatius did this past weekend).

Once the playoffs started it would be perfect for the playoffs, state semi's and championship game.

As others have mentioned it could double as a soccer venue for the regionals or state championships for boys/girls.
Old 10-17-17, 02:52 PM
Junior Varsity

pantherstat is on a distinguished road
We have played multiple games there in the past. I would love for the OHSAA to find a way to take advantage of this stadium. Its the perfect size for High School Football.
Old 10-17-17, 02:56 PM
All District

Salesman is on a distinguished road
All of the above are very good suggestions and make a great deal of sense--thus count the OHSAA out. They couldn't make a good decision if their lived depended on it.
Old 10-17-17, 03:11 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
I believe there were some upgrades within the last decade or so that might make that much more difficult. Also, the stage was built well after. But, yes, the stadium is rather simple construction and probably easily dismantled, even if not intentionally built that way. But who else would need that size stadium with bleachers, who wouldn't just go build their own from scratch?
When the Houston Colt .45's MLB baseball team moved from Colt Stadium (a temporary field with simple construction) to the Astrodome and became the Astros upon the move, they used Colt Stadium as a workout and practice facility for a few seasons then sold it to a Mexican baseball team (or elsewhere in Central or South America, memory fails me).

It was dismantled and shipped there and reassembled and I believe is still in use today. There is a Wikipedia or Baseball Fever website (Ballparks Forum) article on it, this post is from memory on the spur of the moment.

My point is to ask the question, could this stadium be reconfigured to baseball use easily? One long side down the first base line and one long side down the third base line with an endzone section perhaps behind the plate and the other one in the outfield?

Because IF it could.... this stadium might be able to be sent anywhere, like the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Central, South America etc. Americans might not want a second hand stadium but there are foreigners that would be glad to have it and some might even be able to pay decent money for it.
Old 10-17-17, 03:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salesman View Post
All of the above are very good suggestions and make a great deal of sense--thus count the OHSAA out. They couldn't make a good decision if their lived depended on it.
Unfortunately, this is accurate.

OHSAA doesn't need to own the stadium to use it a lot. Whoever winds up owning it if the Crew left (even to downtown) would probably want to get the most use out of it. Regular events, even those that aren't really profitable, at least keep things such as staffing, inventory, maintenance, etc up. Same reason Covelli Centre in Youngstown like the Phantoms playing there despite their crowds being well below minor league hockey level. Lot harder to let a venue sit dark for long stretches and suddenly try to stage an event and then shutter it again.

In, Ohio, for maximum use you could do:

OHSAA Football Finals
OHSAA Soccer Final Fours
OHSAA Lacrosse Final Fours
OHSAA Football Playoff games each weekend, go back to Saturday games and hold double or tripleheaders. Tons of parking, huge stadium for HS crowds.
Regular season Football games all season long, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Regular season and tournament soccer and lacrosse games.
Get that Lacrosse and Rugby team from Obetz back up to Mapfre with turf.
Youth tournaments of all sports in the spring and summer.
Concerts using the stage (field may or may not be used depending on crowd size)
Fair can get better use of the stadium once the Crew are gone.
Mapfre would be a prefered destination for Cincy/Cleveland private school matchups when they like to 'meet in the middle'.
Old 10-17-17, 03:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
When the Houston Colt .45's MLB baseball team moved from Colt Stadium (a temporary field with simple construction) to the Astrodome and became the Astros upon the move, they used Colt Stadium as a workout and practice facility for a few seasons then sold it to a Mexican baseball team (or elsewhere in Central or South America, memory fails me).

It was dismantled and shipped there and reassembled and I believe is still in use today. There is a Wikipedia or Baseball Fever website (Ballparks Forum) article on it, this post is from memory on the spur of the moment.

My point is to ask the question, could this stadium be reconfigured to baseball use easily? One long side down the first base line and one long side down the third base line with an endzone section perhaps behind the plate and the other one in the outfield?

Because IF it could.... this stadium might be able to be sent anywhere, like the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Central, South America etc. Americans might not want a second hand stadium but there are foreigners that would be glad to have it and some might even be able to pay decent money for it.
If it were being dismantled, you could easily lay out both stands down each baseline, though connecting them behind home plate may be an issue. But there's many instances in past stadiums where there's two separate stands. Even today, Erie's UPMC Park has two different stands of two different designs for each foul territory. 1B is a double-decker, and 3B is one tall single deck. All to fit between a street and the hockey arena.
Old 10-17-17, 04:22 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOballer View Post
The Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton is miles ahead of this stadium. Would make no sense to move the championships there.
Is the state title game this fall being held in the new HOF stadium, or is it not yet ready?
Old 10-17-17, 04:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Is the state title game this fall being held in the new HOF stadium, or is it not yet ready?
The title games are at TBHOF this year and next. Though the land surrounding the stadium is going to be seeing some construction in the near term.

As for his statement about not moving from Canton. Yes, the stadium is great and hopefully Canton continues to put up great bids to keep the games there.

However, if Crew Stadium had turf and put up a comparable bid, it goes to Columbus. It's got all the boxes checked. It is a great stadium, if even a little old. It's adequately sized. It's centrally located (satisfies the Cincy contingent), and has a ridiculous amount of available parking,

Not that Canton can't top that, but anything close to a tie would go to Crew Stadium with turf.
Old 10-17-17, 04:41 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Isn't there a HS in SE Ohio that is a very poor community and just had its stadium condemned? You could dismantle the bleachers here and send them in portions or whole to area high schools.
Old 10-17-17, 04:54 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Isn't there a HS in SE Ohio that is a very poor community and just had its stadium condemned? You could dismantle the bleachers here and send them in portions or whole to area high schools.
That's a Great idea also. There have to be small and poor districts in Ohio that could make a whole stadium out of just a part of this stadium.