Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-17, 05:11 AM
All District

fromthe3 is on a distinguished road
East vs Buchtel

Can Buchtel pull the upset? Do they have enough offense to make this a game? What is wrong with there offense? They have enough athletes to be very good on offense and defense. Why is their offense so bad? What are your predictions? Can East win region 9 and make a run to win the DIII title?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 02:21 PM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Answers to your questions in order:

Possibly, if East turns the ball over a TON.
Absolutely NOT enough offense.
IT sucks and has since Powers has been there.
Powers.
East 34, Buchtel 14
Old 10-17-17, 04:46 PM
All District

10's dad is on a distinguished road
Anything can happen in a rivalry game.
Should be a good game.
Offense speaks for itself.
This may be the only time coaching may not matter. The kids have been looking forward to this game for a year.
Still have Buchtel winning 17-14. possible mooney repeat..lol
East whole season rides on this one. Buchtel game give them the confidence last year and Buchtel can take it away this year.
Old 10-17-17, 07:19 PM
All American

frankie is on a distinguished road
East "unless" they give it away
Old 10-17-17, 08:30 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think Buchtel will be more competitive than many think in this game. They've played a brutal schedule and seen a lot of talent and speed. There's also the pride factor having been the top dog in the City Series for so long. Certainly, East is the favorite, but Buchtel will make them work for it.
Old 10-17-17, 09:45 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
I think East is out to prove that last year was just the beginning. Everyone in the ACS, except Ellet for a couple of years, has played second fiddle to Buchtel, for years. East is gonna step on the gas, and not let up, for 4 quarters. East in a big big way, 42-6. It's great to see a new power in town.
Old 10-18-17, 05:08 AM
All District

East 34 Buchtel 7

Buchtel needs a new OC and better scheduling. They can make the playoffs every year but they play teams like St. Eds, Benedictine, Mooney (down this year), and St. V.

Why play Catholic schools? They can get kids from all over Cleveland and the suburbs of Cleveland or from all over Akron and the suburbs of Akron. Buchtel can get kids from the West Side of Akron.

Buchtel is not who they used to be. Teams will schedule them. It takes a little work to make this happen. Besides the Catholic schools and teams like Mentor, only the city schools are dumb enough to play the Catholic schools. McKinley, Massillon, Hudson, and Solon did not play Catholic schools.

Buchtel's scheduling lets their kids down every year. Buchtel needs an OC and someone to do their scheduling. They have the athletes.
Old 10-18-17, 05:30 AM
All District

Sorry I made a mistake. Massillon a D2 school who is not in a conference scheduled 2 catholic schools Ursuline (D4) and St. V (D3).

Buchtel scheduled 4 catholic schools.

The whole federal league scheduled 5 Catholic Schools. (Perry - CCC and Walsh, Jackson -CCC, and GlenOak -Iggy, Hoover -Bishop Hartley). Green, Lake, and Mckinley did not schedule any.

Barberton was the only team in the Suburban league to schedule a catholic school. Revere, Copley, Highland, Aurora, Kent Roosevelt, and Tallmadge did not. 4 of those teams will make the playoffs.

Both the federal league and suburban league have open dates outside of week 3. They find a way not schedule Catholic schools.
Old 10-18-17, 05:55 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
If you're talking about Buchtel downgrading the schedule a little to get points to make the postseason that's ok. If you're talking about Buchtel avoiding Catholic schools altogether you're off the mark. The city schools schedule the Catholics for a variety of reasons. A lot of times they're sacrificial lambs for financial reasons. Sometimes ( example Mooney Buchtel) they want to test themselves. Other times (Ytown East & Ursuline) it's proximity. But this "we will NEVER schedule a Catholic school" mantra isn't an urban thought process. That's the suburban " They recruit our kids" thought process. I'm not gonna get into the dead horse private vs public thing, but it's an argument you rarely, if ever, hear from city parents, coaches and administrators.
Old 10-18-17, 06:55 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
I laugh every time I see somebody say catholic schools... call it what it is RECRUITING SCHOOLS.. On another note East by 40. Soon as East starts to take it to them Powers isnt going to be able to stop his kids from being ejected.
Old 10-18-17, 03:01 PM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
We will see what happens on Friday night. Last year Buchtel blew the game and had a few starters out. That game gave East a lot of confidence which has transferred over into this year which is great for that program. Both teams return a lot of players from last years game and East have added a few more playmakers.

The game is a toss up. Both teams are prone to bone head penalties at times from the games i have watched so far this year. If Buchtel can muster up some offense i believe that they will win this game. If East is able to limit mistakes big plays on Defense they will win the game.
Old 10-18-17, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

There should be a rule on Yappi that if you make a bold prediction that doesn't happen that you have to come back here and man up. I'll come back and take my medicine if this is a blowout. If it isn't, will those calling for a blowout be back?
Old 10-18-17, 03:44 PM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
There should be a rule on Yappi that if you make a bold prediction that doesn't happen that you have to come back here and man up. I'll come back and take my medicine if this is a blowout. If it isn't, will those calling for a blowout be back?
I always man up... Ive been living in J-Mogs Basement for years cuz of my last prediction....lol
Old 10-18-17, 03:58 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Why did the Buchtel/Steubenville series end. Seemed to always be good games and both the Griffs titles came at our expense. Also, is Flossie still coaching.
Old 10-18-17, 04:03 PM
All District

10's dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson and Black View Post
Why did the Buchtel/Steubenville series end. Seemed to always be good games and both the Griffs titles came at our expense. Also, is Flossie still coaching.
My best guess would be travel. ie Buchtel didn't bring enough fans. And no.. Tim has left the building..
Old 10-18-17, 05:38 PM
All Region

stinkin is on a distinguished road
No doubt Howland fans want Akron East to come to their stadium at 8-1 for their week 10 matchup! If Howland upsets Canfield which is a possibility this week 10 matchup will mean everything for Howlands playoff hopes and a ton of computer points.
Old 10-18-17, 05:48 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
East 34 Buchtel 7

Buchtel needs a new OC and better scheduling. They can make the playoffs every year but they play teams like St. Eds, Benedictine, Mooney (down this year), and St. V.

Why play Catholic schools? They can get kids from all over Cleveland and the suburbs of Cleveland or from all over Akron and the suburbs of Akron. Buchtel can get kids from the West Side of Akron.

Buchtel is not who they used to be. Teams will schedule them. It takes a little work to make this happen. Besides the Catholic schools and teams like Mentor, only the city schools are dumb enough to play the Catholic schools. McKinley, Massillon, Hudson, and Solon did not play Catholic schools.

Buchtel's scheduling lets their kids down every year. Buchtel needs an OC and someone to do their scheduling. They have the athletes.
Not completely true. They can also draw from any area of Akron and anywhere in Ohio through Open Enrollment. Not too long ago their QB was from Canton. Those darn facts will get you every time.
Old 10-18-17, 05:56 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Not completely true. They can also draw from any area of Akron and anywhere in Ohio through Open Enrollment. Not too long ago their QB was from Canton. Those darn facts will get you every time.
And I can win the lottery. Since the qb from Canton, less than 5% of their football players are from outside the west side of Akron. Reality sucks.
Old 10-18-17, 05:59 PM
All District

There might be some non west side football kids at buchtel who were disciplinary transfers or maybe using their Aunts address. There are more west side kids at St. V/Hoban than non west side kids at Buchtel.
Old 10-18-17, 06:02 PM
All District

If you played the year before and open enroll, you have to sit out half the year. No one does it. Sorry buddy. Get your facts straight.
Old 10-18-17, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolster View Post
I always man up... Ive been living in J-Mogs Basement for years cuz of my last prediction....lol
Old 10-18-17, 09:18 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If the Griffs keep it close or pull out a win, I'll congratulate them. I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes, when predicting high school football games, being wrong comes with the territory.
Old 10-19-17, 08:04 AM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road
IMO...East will win this due to their lapses in discipline are fewer and further between than Buchtel's. Both are stock full of athletes and collegiate talent. Both tend to shoot themselves in the foot during games with penalties and turnovers. I'll call East 24-17.
Old 10-19-17, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
The QB only went to Buchtel because his brother who is his legal guardian was a history teacher in the building. But the truth of the matter is that there are more kids from West Akron at the privates than non district transfers at Buchtel or any other ACS. But that is not the private school fault and they should not be ashamed to offer a better on field product that honestly ACS has no interest in fixing. I mean i can understand the quality of education or resources argument but in the last few years that has not been the reason most of these akron kids choose to play private. Most are choosing to do so because the on field product sucks. Look at East went to the playoffs and for the first time in my lifetime they kept their good players home and kept them away from Hoban, Ellet, and Garfield. IF you win and are competitive the talented kids will come but when you have more penalties than offense well that is self inflicted.
Old 10-19-17, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe3 View Post
Sorry I made a mistake. Massillon a D2 school who is not in a conference scheduled 2 catholic schools Ursuline (D4) and St. V (D3).

Buchtel scheduled 4 catholic schools.

The whole federal league scheduled 5 Catholic Schools. (Perry - CCC and Walsh, Jackson -CCC, and GlenOak -Iggy, Hoover -Bishop Hartley). Green, Lake, and Mckinley did not schedule any.

Barberton was the only team in the Suburban league to schedule a catholic school. Revere, Copley, Highland, Aurora, Kent Roosevelt, and Tallmadge did not. 4 of those teams will make the playoffs.

Both the federal league and suburban league have open dates outside of week 3. They find a way not schedule Catholic schools.
This was a great observation honestly. However that is why you play at Buchtel. We aint no Barberton you don't come to 1040 to play against Green or Clover freaking leaf. Thats not what this is about. I have been following Buchtel football my entire life i'm not that old but i don't remember a time in my life when the schedule hasn't been like this including the state teams that had to be in top 4 to qualify (means they had to win the financial windfall games). If you want a easier schedule go to Firestone. If you want to play against the best of the best and show you belong then come to 1040.

I know coach Powers has a horrendous record outside of the city but at the same time 80% of those losses are by 1 or 2 scores. Honestly if Powers could field a competent offense we wouldn't even be having this conversation. In his 10 years there outside of St Eds and few other games they have been right there in it. The solution is to work harder, play smarter and coach better. It is not asking for a easier freaking schedule because you can't figure out how to close teams out. Bologna!
Old 10-19-17, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

Tough schedules are a Buchtel tradition going back to Tim Flossie and Claude Brown. Criticize it if you must, but it prepares them well as you can see from their post-season success and it pays the bills.
Old 10-20-17, 06:02 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
The QB only went to Buchtel because his brother who is his legal guardian was a history teacher in the building. But the truth of the matter is that there are more kids from West Akron at the privates than non district transfers at Buchtel or any other ACS. But that is not the private school fault and they should not be ashamed to offer a better on field product that honestly ACS has no interest in fixing. I mean i can understand the quality of education or resources argument but in the last few years that has not been the reason most of these akron kids choose to play private. Most are choosing to do so because the on field product sucks. Look at East went to the playoffs and for the first time in my lifetime they kept their good players home and kept them away from Hoban, Ellet, and Garfield. IF you win and are competitive the talented kids will come but when you have more penalties than offense well that is self inflicted.
Good stuff
Old 10-20-17, 06:16 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
This was a great observation honestly. However that is why you play at Buchtel. We aint no Barberton you don't come to 1040 to play against Green or Clover freaking leaf. Thats not what this is about. I have been following Buchtel football my entire life i'm not that old but i don't remember a time in my life when the schedule hasn't been like this including the state teams that had to be in top 4 to qualify (means they had to win the financial windfall games). If you want a easier schedule go to Firestone. If you want to play against the best of the best and show you belong then come to 1040.

I know coach Powers has a horrendous record outside of the city but at the same time 80% of those losses are by 1 or 2 scores. Honestly if Powers could field a competent offense we wouldn't even be having this conversation. In his 10 years there outside of St Eds and few other games they have been right there in it. The solution is to work harder, play smarter and coach better. It is not asking for a easier freaking schedule because you can't figure out how to close teams out. Bologna!
Green's 8th grade team dominated you this year. Green would be a great matchup.

Buchtel's pride has gotten in their way. You are doing a disservice to your kids. You could be in the playoffs every year. If your scheduling was smart.

Im not saying easier...just smarter....Ohio State does not go out and schedule USC, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Miami in one year. They schedule one of them per year. And it isnt because they are afraid...it is because they are smart.

Im not asking Buchtel to schedule terrible teams.

How bout teams like Tallmadge, Kent Roosevelt, Copley, Green, and Barberton.

If you can win those games (you might not win them). You then go to the playoffs and win state.

If you dominate that schedule then go to St. V, Mooney, Solon, TCC, and so on.
Old 10-20-17, 06:44 AM
All District

Quote:
Tough schedules are a Buchtel tradition going back to Tim Flossie and Claude Brown. Criticize it if you must, but it prepares them well as you can see from their post-season success and it pays the bills.
Despite having a much tougher schedule than the following teams, they have many loses to teams with lesser schedules than them since 2012.

2016 - Lost to Firestone and East. East makes playoffs.
2015 - Close wins over Garfield, Ellet, and East (was it because of TALENT or schedule).
2014 - Lost to DeSales by 8. DeSales made it to the final 8 in DIII. If you play a smart schedule. You contend for a state title.
2013 - Lost to Ellet. Ellet did not play a tougher schedule than you. Ellet made the playoffs.
2012 - Lost to Ellet and Kenmore. Ellet did not play tougher schedule than you and made the playoffs.

Obviously a tougher schedule does not mean wins.

And if they were concerned about money they wouldnt have played St Eds
and Benedictine at home last year and St. V and Beechcroft at home this year.
Old 10-20-17, 08:01 AM
All District

Flossie - 2 State Championships
Claude - 7 playoffs
Powers - 1 playoffs

Either Powers isnt the coach that Flossie and Claude were. Or they arent as talented. If you are not as talented you might want to schedule a little different than the past.

Powers had no problem changing tradition with the colors maybe change tradition with scheduling.

We need to face reality. Either Powers isn't the coach that Claude and Flossie were or 1040 doesnt have the talent they had before and need to schedule differently.

Hayes will have his 2nd playoff appearance this year (Powers has one). Is he a better coach than Powers, have more talent than Buchtel, or play a smarter schedule?