Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-16-17, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Bishop Hartley vs North Canton Hoover

Any thoughts on this game? Hoover is coming off a big win over Lake. Offense averages over 35 pts per game. Hartley is DIII so how good are they for a smaller school? They probably haven't seen an O line or speed like Hoover has. What does Hartley do? If Hoover wins it is on to the playoffs.
Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 02:26 PM
All Yappi

perry1480 is on a distinguished road
I think Hoover wins this game.
Old 10-16-17, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
This is Hoover's best chance to win one of the final two games. If they win then they should be in the playoffs.

Hoover shouldn't get overconfident. The last D3 team they played they lost.
Old 10-16-17, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Hartley's only loss is to perennial D3 powerhouse Toledo Central Catholic. They won the D4 championship in 2015 and 2016. As such, an average, .500, D2 team like Hoover shouldn't get overconfident.
Old 10-16-17, 03:11 PM
Moderated User

AuntBea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
You obviously know nothing about Hartley football. This one goes on a running clock and will be over early. Better luck week 10 Hoover.
Old 10-16-17, 03:21 PM
All District

CCHS93 is on a distinguished road
Based on schedules and wins, I'll go with Hartley. Hoover lost to most of the good teams on the schedule and a bad one.
Old 10-16-17, 03:35 PM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Hartley's only loss is to perennial D3 powerhouse Toledo Central Catholic. They won the D4 championship in 2015 and 2016. As such, an average, .500, D2 team like Hoover shouldn't get overconfident.
Made the D5 Final 4 in 2014 also, losing the State Semi Final to CCC 34-24

That same year D5 CCC 41 - D1 Hoover 14

Whatsupdoc... They are very good and they have likely seen speed like Hoover has and could be faster than Hoover. Hartley likes to Run, Run and Run some more! Division on this one doesnt matter, Hartley wont be intimidated one bit.
Old 10-16-17, 03:41 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Hartley by 14
Old 10-16-17, 04:18 PM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
I know that my alma mater, CCC, played them in the state semis a few years back and it was an absolutely brutal and physical game. To be very honest, I was kind of shocked when this game was scheduled as Hartley isn't the type of team you want to play the week before Jackson. Hartley will run the ball from about fifty different formations and test your defensive integrity across the board. Their offense is a variation of wing-t and single wing principles, from a variety of unbalanced, power and spread formations.

I realize that Hoover is part of the Fed, and a bigger school, but they have not really impressed me as of late other than being offensively gifted. Hoover has shown the ability to score points against many teams, but can they stop a very diverse running attack that is predicated upon misdirection and getting you out of alignment? Hoover will need to be very sound defensively to stop a running attack like Hartley, but also need to be able to move the ball consistently and wear them out.

I like Hartley by at least ten in this game and possibly more if Hoover doesn't find a way to stop the run.
Old 10-16-17, 04:31 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
I think Hartley will come out like Perry rolling over top of the Vikings defense with a similar running attack that Hoover hasn't shown an ability to stop, but won't lose interest in the game and allow the Vikes to score three quick gimme touchdowns at the end. Hoover offense looks pretty good, and Hartley D will have its hands full. Could be a close, high-scoring game. Some fans might be surprised by Hartley's size and speed if they're thinking the Hawks are going to be more like Louisville than East.
Old 10-16-17, 06:24 PM
Varsity

nsc126 is on a distinguished road
Hartley will be a handful for the Vikings. They run the Wing-T as well as anyone with very good athletes at the Running Back position. They are similar to Perry in that they are not trying to fool anyone with what they are doing but execute the basic plays of the Wing-T to death. This is probably as good a week to get them as possible. They just had a huge win over rival, Desales, this past week and they may be a little banged up and the bus ride is a long one. The key is Hoover getting out to a lead early and make them play catch up. If Hartley gets the lead they can 3 or 4 yard to death and eat the clock. It should be an interesting match up.
Old 10-16-17, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
This is Hoover's best chance to win one of the final two games. If they win then they should be in the playoffs.

Hoover shouldn't get overconfident. The last D3 team they played they lost.
Jackson is a better matchup for Hoover. Hartley is similar to Perry...3 yards and a cloud of dust. The front 7 has to have a big game. We need to force 2-3 turnovers and cash in the extra possessions. We need to jump on them early and keep rolling with Reicosky to shorten the game and force them out of their comfort level on O.

Division means nothing. They are a quality opponent and it will be a stiff test..
Old 10-16-17, 07:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Veer View Post
Made the D5 Final 4 in 2014 also, losing the State Semi Final to CCC 34-24

That same year D5 CCC 41 - D1 Hoover 14

Whatsupdoc... They are very good and they have likely seen speed like Hoover has and could be faster than Hoover. Hartley likes to Run, Run and Run some more! Division on this one doesnt matter, Hartley wont be intimidated one bit.
It amazes me how much weight people put on division...a quality team is a quality team regardless of division. Will be a strong test for the Vikings.
Old 10-16-17, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
I know that my alma mater, CCC, played them in the state semis a few years back and it was an absolutely brutal and physical game. To be very honest, I was kind of shocked when this game was scheduled as Hartley isn't the type of team you want to play the week before Jackson. Hartley will run the ball from about fifty different formations and test your defensive integrity across the board. Their offense is a variation of wing-t and single wing principles, from a variety of unbalanced, power and spread formations.

I realize that Hoover is part of the Fed, and a bigger school, but they have not really impressed me as of late other than being offensively gifted. Hoover has shown the ability to score points against many teams, but can they stop a very diverse running attack that is predicated upon misdirection and getting you out of alignment? Hoover will need to be very sound defensively to stop a running attack like Hartley, but also need to be able to move the ball consistently and wear them out.

I like Hartley by at least ten in this game and possibly more if Hoover doesn't find a way to stop the run.
When you have an open date week nine you are kind of at the mercy of who's available and willing to play.

I like this type of game on the schedule. A win would be a big boost going into Jackson week and potentially a week 11 matchup.
Old 10-16-17, 08:33 PM
All Region

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
If you come out thinking this little D3 school ain’t beating us, and thinking they haven’t seen a line like ours or speed like we have, they will grind you into the dirt. Chances are the reverse is true. Hoover will know exactly what Hartley will be doing, but unable to stop them. They are ground and pound and time consumers and when you look up they had the ball for 30 minutes and pounded out a 10 point victory. Very reminiscent of Mooney’s best teams. If Hoover wins I’d be shocked.
Old 10-16-17, 08:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
They probably haven't seen an O line or speed like Hoover has.
We've seen plenty of upper and same division offensive lines like Hoover. They've got decent fundamentals on pass protection. Good footwork and balance. Zero speed. Zero hunger. Guys who did their assignment and then kind of stood around. I'm scouting TCC as a whole lot better and DeSales as visibly better than Hoover.

If there was speed in the skill positions, I wasn't seeing it from watching a ton of film. What I saw was a whole lot of poor fundamentals on tackling from the opponents. I think you'll be adequately impressed by Hartley speed. Especially team speed - on offense, pulling slobs running like tailbacks and on defense, the second level shutting down whatever the line didn't before it even happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
What does Hartley do?
We play midget football. Similar conceptually to Perry, but they're a lot closer to a textbook Delaware system. We're wacky. We run out of so many formations and mix misdirection and full bluntal power at multiple points of attack. Your fans will cheer as the guy who doesn't have the ball is tackled and the guy who actually has the ball breaks away. You'll play jet on traps and trap on QB draws. The camera dad will be pivoting wildly trying to find the ball. The game tape will make people dizzy when reviewing on Saturday. There's a pretty good chance that our OC will be on auto-pilot, and I'll be predicting the plays at 95% accuracy as your defense is utterly befuddled.

Let's be honest even though it's not nice. You're going to get out coached. You've played these crap teams for two weeks. You've gotten complacent, and TCC only beat us because that jackwagon in the press box calling defense has had all summer to review film and calculate the probabilities. And we're predictable. And we've got tells. Baum is a great, nice guy. But he needed two to three weeks for this game and didn't get it.
Old 10-16-17, 08:40 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1480 View Post
Because NEO! Woohoo!
Old 10-16-17, 08:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
This is Hoover's best chance to win one of the final two games.
Hoover is a mid to low tier Federal League team. And the Federal League has nothing but historical significance at this point. Let's face it. GlenOak sucks this season, but they scheduled Whitmer, Massillon, and Ignatius. At least, they've got the stones of men. Your best chances were your four wins. Man up.
Old 10-16-17, 08:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Their offense is a variation of wing-t and single wing principles, from a variety of unbalanced, power and spread formations.
And we're known to toss in some knee to knee, hip to hip, elbow to elbow zero inch split double wing from time to time also. And dare you to stack the box.
Old 10-16-17, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
We've seen plenty of upper and same division offensive lines like Hoover. They've got decent fundamentals on pass protection. Good footwork and balance. Zero speed. Zero hunger. Guys who did their assignment and then kind of stood around. I'm scouting TCC as a whole lot better and DeSales as visibly better than Hoover.

If there was speed in the skill positions, I wasn't seeing it from watching a ton of film. What I saw was a whole lot of poor fundamentals on tackling from the opponents. I think you'll be adequately impressed by Hartley speed. Especially team speed - on offense, pulling slobs running like tailbacks and on defense, the second level shutting down whatever the line didn't before it even happens.

We play midget football. Similar conceptually to Perry, but they're a lot closer to a textbook Delaware system. We're wacky. We run out of so many formations and mix misdirection and full bluntal power at multiple points of attack. Your fans will cheer as the guy who doesn't have the ball is tackled and the guy who actually has the ball breaks away. You'll play jet on traps and trap on QB draws. The camera dad will be pivoting wildly trying to find the ball. The game tape will make people dizzy when reviewing on Saturday. There's a pretty good chance that our OC will be on auto-pilot, and I'll be predicting the plays at 95% accuracy as your defense is utterly befuddled.

Let's be honest even though it's not nice. You're going to get out coached. You've played these crap teams for two weeks. You've gotten complacent, and TCC only beat us because that jackwagon in the press box calling defense has had all summer to review film and calculate the probabilities. And we're predictable. And we've got tells. Baum is a great, nice guy. But he needed two to three weeks for this game and didn't get it.
You havent watched much film if you missed our RB. The QB is also an effective runner. And we've incorporated our freshman QB into the offense at WR, he is a solid athlete. Hopefully we will have our #1 WR back this week.

As for needing two weeks to get ready, as you pointed out we played struggling teams the last two weeks so what makes you think they haven't prepared

I understand you may do some things differently as far as formation from Perry but having seen an effective Wing T a few weeks ago certainly helps.
Old 10-16-17, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

You were getting votes in the greatest Yappi poster thread... now I see why. This was awesome.

I find it to be my own personal tragedy that I've not crossed your path in these threads and I've been around awhile.

Carry on.
Old 10-16-17, 09:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hoover is a mid to low tier Federal League team. And the Federal League has nothing but historical significance at this point. Let's face it. GlenOak sucks this season, but they scheduled Whitmer, Massillon, and Ignatius. At least, they've got the stones of men. Your best chances were your four wins. Man up.
I thought we were by playing Hartley
Old 10-16-17, 09:08 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc126 View Post
Hartley will be a handful for the Vikings. They run the Wing-T as well as anyone with very good athletes at the Running Back position.
Not really. We do Wing-T formation, but don't run a lot of basic Wing-T plays. We like to draw poorly coached teams into complacency by aligning in WingT and then doing something completely different. If you talk to Chip Otten and his guys who totally figured us out, he'd tell that we're a WingT scam team and ignore the formation and learn how to make the reads on the fly. Helps that his kids are football smart.

Quote:
They are similar to Perry in that they are not trying to fool anyone with what they are doing but execute the basic plays of the Wing-T to death.
This is completely wrong. We love to face teams who've coached their defense to Wing-T because we eat them up. All the teams who've beat us have not fallen for that crap. All the defenses who've shut us down coach their players to react to the play - not the look.

Quote:
This is probably as good a week to get them as possible. They just had a huge win over rival, Desales, this past week and they may be a little banged up and the bus ride is a long one.
No one is banged up. And we like long bus rides. Last year we rode forever to Tiffin and smacked the crap out of a pretty good Port Clinton for making us ride so far to kick their azzes. Long ride just means that we've got to refuel at Best Burger on the way home!

Quote:
The key is Hoover getting out to a lead early and make them play catch up. If Hartley gets the lead they can 3 or 4 yard to death and eat the clock. It should be an interesting match up.
Hartley will 3 to 4 yard you to death regardless of score and hope you lose your mind. And we don't care about a one or two TD lead. We can pass the ball if need be. We've been fortunate to have been loaded at QB for 3-4 years now.
Old 10-16-17, 09:15 PM
All Region

sam the butcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
It amazes me how much weight people put on division...a quality team is a quality team regardless of division. Will be a strong test for the Vikings.
Bingo.
Old 10-16-17, 09:43 PM
All District

Iluvftball is on a distinguished road
Being a D III school mean nothing. Hartley is Very physical and will run it right down a teams throat! Very well coached and very discipled. Play as a Team. Trust they have seen speed and good athletes before. If you Hoover fans think having speed and athleticism is going beat Hartley get ready for a Looong night.

Hartley by 21
Old 10-16-17, 10:15 PM
All Yappi

This game is being broadcast on Big Time Sports.

Anyone know if this is a one year deal or do we make the trip down next year?
Old 10-17-17, 01:11 AM
All District

Hawkcaulker9 is an unknown quantity at this point
For all you stat junkies here are some digits for you.
HARTLEY
Offense
Rushing- 367 att 2,648 yards 7.2 per carry 331 yds/gm 46 att/gm 35TD 2 fumbles
Passing- 39att 734 yards 19.3 per catch 91 yds/gm 5 att/gm 4 TD 3 INT
422 total yards per game. 36.6 point/gm
Defense
Rushing- 260 att 1120 yards 4.3 per carry 140yds/gm 33 att/gm 8 TD 6 fumbles
Passing- 36 att 344 yards 9.6 per catch 43 yd/gm 5 att/gm 5 TD 8INT
183 total yards per game. 12 points/gm

HOOVER
Offense
Rushing- 320 att 2021 yards 6.1per carry 252yds/gm 41 att/gm 33TD 4 fumbles
Passing- 92 att 1170 yards 12.7per catch 146yds/gm 12att/gm 6TD 3 INT
390 yards per game. 35.6 points/gm

Defense
Rushing-269 att 1430 yards 5.3per carry 178yds/gm 34 att/gm 17TD 9 fumbles
Passing- 97 att 1293 yards 13.3per catch 161yds/gm 12att/gm 10TD 6INT
340 yards per game. 25.3 points/gm
So what does all this mean? Diddly squat!!
Strap on the chin straps on and bang it out. Hartley says this is what we are what we do come stop it. Hoover looks statistically like the most balanced team we've played all year. So it all comes down to who can execute best. Hopefully an injury free game good luck to all
GO HAWKS!!
Old 10-17-17, 01:46 AM
All District

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcaulker9 View Post
For all you stat junkies here are some digits for you.
HARTLEY
Offense
Rushing- 367 att 2,648 yards 7.2 per carry 331 yds/gm 46 att/gm 35TD 2 fumbles
Passing- 39att 734 yards 19.3 per catch 91 yds/gm 5 att/gm 4 TD 3 INT
422 total yards per game. 36.6 point/gm
Defense
Rushing- 260 att 1120 yards 4.3 per carry 140yds/gm 33 att/gm 8 TD 6 fumbles
Passing- 36 att 344 yards 9.6 per catch 43 yd/gm 5 att/gm 5 TD 8INT
183 total yards per game. 12 points/gm

HOOVER
Offense
Rushing- 320 att 2021 yards 6.1per carry 252yds/gm 41 att/gm 33TD 4 fumbles
Passing- 92 att 1170 yards 12.7per catch 146yds/gm 12att/gm 6TD 3 INT
390 yards per game. 35.6 points/gm

Defense
Rushing-269 att 1430 yards 5.3per carry 178yds/gm 34 att/gm 17TD 9 fumbles
Passing- 97 att 1293 yards 13.3per catch 161yds/gm 12att/gm 10TD 6INT
340 yards per game. 25.3 points/gm
So what does all this mean? Diddly squat!!
Strap on the chin straps on and bang it out. Hartley says this is what we are what we do come stop it. Hoover looks statistically like the most balanced team we've played all year. So it all comes down to who can execute best. Hopefully an injury free game good luck to all
GO HAWKS!!
Perfect. 😂
Old 10-17-17, 01:54 AM
All District

P(irate) is on a distinguished road
The best thing Hoover can do is to try to be more physical than Hartley. Notice I said physical and not aggressive. Hartley can take your aggressiveness and use it against you. Making you look silly in the process. I have seen Hartley a few times. Nothing ever really changes. Mostly just numbers and names. They have great coaches and have built a great program. You guys thinking that you’ll win because Hartley is DIII are beyond laughable. That’s what will get a running clock put on you.

I’m going with Hartley by 24. Stay healthy guys. Can’t wait until week 2 next year.

Oh and Veritas. Stop by and drop us a line on the “other” site. Lol
Old 10-17-17, 04:03 AM
All Yappi

Very nice assessments... I still think Hoover can win this game.

But my questions:
- Do Hartley backs ever get tackled?
- If the other team were 11 Chuck Norrises, would Hartley only win by 6?
- Have the Hartley players been awakened to the Matrix?