Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-17, 02:07 PM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
40. It was - the name of the album was Psycheldelic Shack.

Ok; I think everyone has left the building because my numbering is so f#@#%^& up! Sorry. My eyes are shot also.

Wherever you all are at today, where I am started off as a warm very breezy Oct day and now it is raining and cool. A bit like early Nov.

26. Ho Hey - The lumineers

31. One of my favorite Dylan songs, "One Too Many Mornings".

34. Barely remember this band - Fairport Convention with "The Lord Is in This Place".

35. Piece of My Heart with Janis. Still recall her on the Cavett show talking about going back to her high school reunion in the next week or so and how she was going to put some people in their places.

Instead I read later that after the congratulatory comments, Janis was obnoxious enough that everyone sort of turned on her again and it was a disaster.

40. "Psycheldelic Shack" by The Temptations

The last group of questions I have is very difficult so I want to see if I can salvage something out of it.

What time are the Indians on? Oh, that's right... .

Last edited by Bevo; 10-15-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-15-17, 03:47 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Don't be so hard on yourself, Bevo. We appreciate all your efforts in keeping us on our toes.
Besides, your quiz currently has inspired me to listen to some Woodstock live performances on one of the greatest inventions of our time, YouTube. Right now, it's Sly & The Family Stone performing.
There are worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Old 10-15-17, 08:44 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
I liked The Osmonds' version of "Can't Get Next To You".
Old 10-15-17, 10:05 PM
All American

Diva - I was at a wedding at St. Petes yesterday afternoon.

Did you know Rob Lee; I would be surprised if you didn't.

I was pretty good friends with him, as were countless others. He did a lot for my kids and was always a great guy to talk to.

Quick Robbie story: You recall how the 8th. graders have always sold stuff for their trips to Gettysburg or Washington DC.? When my son was an eighth grader, we had no network locally to go to. A couple of uncles and grandma and us were just about all of the buyers our son had. I had a couple of teacher friends and we hit them up and sold two - one to each.
I believe the candles (Christmas) were $6 a piece. My son sent Rob an email inquiring as to whether he would consider buying one.

He bought six! Gave our son a fifty and said to add it to his trip fund. I am sure he did things like this countless times.

One of the good guys who make a community better.
Old 10-16-17, 08:31 PM
All District

Yes I saw the wedding party and heard it while hubby and I were in bed that night!

I didn't know Mr. Lee.
Old 10-16-17, 09:42 PM
All American

Different wedding; we were out of there by 3:00 p.m.

Rob was a good guy. I thought maybe Andra (sp.?) or your son would have crossed paths with him. Very good teacher and friend to students and teachers alike. He was a very good basketball official and as pointed out in his obit., did state finals' games in Ohio - boys and girls. He would also make himself available to area coaches in the fall and go over rule interpretations and points of emphasis. I know Keith D. had him come in every year.

I noted in looking at his condolence page from Lucas Funeral Home that he had several messages from Clyde educators. That is quite amazing when you consider that he left there almost 45 years ago.
Most of us won't even be remembered - let alone thought of in a positive way - after that much time.
Old 10-17-17, 05:21 PM
All American

Part Three of the Lynn Novick , Ken Burns Viet Nam music series. Tough outs!

1. "Brother, brother, brother there's too many of you dying".

2. Miles Davis cut from a 1959 album that I did recognize.

3. Written in 1941 it was originally called "The Carol of The Drum". Christmas song. I thought it was much older.

4. Who did the song "Wild Child"?

5. What did the guy send in the Velvet Underground song, "The Gift?"

6. Who did the song called "The Healing"?

7. "I've been down since I began to crawl".

8. Who did the song"Waiting"? I recognized this one also.

9. This was on "Electric Lady Land" and was voted the 102nd best song on the Rolling Stone list of the top 500.

10. "I taught the weeping willow how to cry".

11. "Don't go to war, first born in '44. Kennedy made him believe we could do more."

12. "Fish are jumpin' out and the cotton, Lord, cotton high Lord, so high".

13. Who did the song Ophelia?

14. "Two, one, two, three four. Everybody's talkin' about... ."

15. Who did the song "Angelina"?

Tough album cuts, etc. Have an idea for a new quiz after this is wrapped up. We'll go three each tonight and as many as you want tomorrow.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-17-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-17-17, 05:25 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Tough quiz indeed!

I only know one for sure:
13. "Ophelia" - The Band

I'll guess at a second:
9. "Crosstown Traffic" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 10-17-17, 06:11 PM
All American

13. Is correct. Written by Robbie Robertson. Seems like a hard one to know about!

9. It is Jimi but I need a different song.\

Decent start
Old 10-17-17, 06:23 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I'll try again:

9. "Voodoo Chile" - Jimi

I couldn't decide between the two. "Crosstown Traffic" and "Voodoo Chile" are probably my two favorite songs from the album.

"Ophelia" was on "The Best of the Band" compilation album, which I played the heck out of. My only The Band album.
Old 10-17-17, 06:25 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
2 "So What" - Miles Davis. I was never really into Miles and have just 2 albums of his.
"So What" is the first track on "Kind of Blue". The only other album I have by him is "Bitches Brew" and despite what the critics raved about I just never liked this album, or maybe never understood it ???

9. "Voodoo Chile" - Jimi Hendrix is from "Electric Lady Land".

JB
Old 10-17-17, 06:30 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
1. "What's Goin' On?" - Marvin Gaye

Drawing a blank on all of the others ....
Old 10-17-17, 07:03 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
12. "Summertime" -- Janis Joplin (or, technically, Big Brother & The Holding Company)
Old 10-17-17, 07:51 PM
All American

Well we are groovin' right along!

9. BlackHawk - it is "Voodoo Chile"; read somewhere that this started out as "Voodoo Child".

Like Eric Burdon says in "Monterey",'Jimi Hendrix made me believe he's set the world on fire' " I was blown away by Jimi.

2. JB - I would have taken you for a Miles' fan. I like some jazz but I guess it is like the opera or ballet - I just don't appreciate a lot of what is going on. Upon hearing "So What" (which Dennis Hopper, by the way, said came from him saying it to Miles all of the time and then Miles making it the title of this song) was a song I liked.

1. Zurnado - it's a great song by Marvin. So plaintive and full of despair. "Title says it all: "What's going On?"

Got a bit of Gil Scott Heron to it. We have never talked about him. Find the song by Heron called "The Bottle" or "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".

12. Monclova with Janis singing about the tall cotton and the fish jumpin'. The song feels hot! "Summertime". I did not look it up - is this from "Porgy and Bess" Just a guess.
Old 10-17-17, 10:19 PM
All American

Wednesday you can answer as many as you want. It will be wrapped up early tomorrow evening.

We need: 3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,14,15.
Old 10-17-17, 10:42 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Wednesday you can answer as many as you want. It will be wrapped up early tomorrow evening.

We need: 3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,14,15.
I'm late to the party, but it doesn't make any difference. I'm totally "tapped out", as in no answers and not even a good guess. Excellent trivia quiz, so I'll pay attention and learn something.

Cavs won their opener, but I couldn't get too excited after the horrible injury to Boston's Gordon Hayward. On the MLB scene, how can the Yankees continue to make things interesting?

ROCK ON!
Old 10-17-17, 10:54 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
3. Written in 1941 it was originally called "The Carol of The Drum". Christmas song. I thought it was much older.

Little Drummer Boy - ?????

Like OWK, I'm out. You snooze, you lose...

Per OWK: Cavs won their opener, but I couldn't get too excited after the horrible injury to Boston's Gordon Hayward. On the MLB scene, how can the Yankees continue to make things interesting?

The local sports announcer mentioned Hayward's injury, but the station decided not to show it. I've seen a couple really bad injuries and don't feel cheated here. I don't enjoy that feeling in the pit of my stomach!

Youngest brother and I touched on the Yanks being down two games to zero this weekend and, almost as quickly, commented they had come back from that very deficit last week against - um, er - who was that? Next year, they blindly and loyally say!!!
Old 10-18-17, 06:05 AM
All American

OWK - 14. is probably in your memory bank.

EagleGuy - 3. Is correct with The Little Drummer Boy. The story is that he ahd no gifts for Jesus and played his drum instead; Mary was impressed and said so.

Hayward - yes, those ankle, leg injuries where things turn in ways they aren't suppose to. Well... the NBA season is so long he will probably be back. On the other hand an injury to the ankle, legs, etc., is so critical for an NBAer.
Old 10-18-17, 08:04 AM
All American

That Hayward injury brought to mind watching Sports Center one morning, and seeing Moises Alou dislocate/break his ankle outwardly while stopping after rounding a base. I just sat there with my mouth open. He was sitting there, looking at it with a "why me" expression

I hate when that happens.

Was going to put this triva question in the Halloween movies thread, but thought the AARPsters might have a better shot at it, and it is certainly apropos for this time of year:

What is the only movie in which Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre starred together in?

Extra Credit: Why is this movie significant to the music industry to this day?
Old 10-18-17, 08:13 AM
All American

Just a guess - "Abbott and Costello Meet The Wolfman, Dracula and The Invisible Man".

Not even sure if this is the correct title but the boys did do one of these.

Could also be one of those late 50's early 60's William Castle creations?
Old 10-18-17, 08:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Just a guess - "Abbott and Costello Meet The Wolfman, Dracula and The Invisible Man".

Not even sure if this is the correct title but the boys did do one of these.

Could also be one of those late 50's early 60's William Castle creations?
Bevo up to the plate early with a couple of very intelligent guesses, but just outside the foul pole. (HINT: you have the correct genre on one of them)

Incorrect on Abbott and Costello - Bevo, I think you tried to cram three Abbot & Costello movies into one there, or it might be the title of 3-DVD set. All three actors may have appeared at various times with Bud and Lou, but not in the same movie.

Incorrect on William Castle, but a very good guess. He certainly engineered some classics. I believe Bela Lugosi had died before Castle really started getting into the horror genre.

It's not the answer to my question, but "13 Ghosts" is my favorite Castle film, probably because it's the essence of why I asked my parents to stay up late on Friday nights in my middle school years so I could watch Chiller Theater on channel 10 in Columbus.

Anyone else want to try this one? Only flick (that I'm aware of) that starred Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre. Check out the genre hint above.

Last edited by Zunardo; 10-18-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 09:49 AM
All District

I'm sitting on a plane on Las Vegas waiting to take off to Utah. Our son is getting married Friday.

Bevo, you're correct with the spelling! I'll ask our kids off they knew Mr. Lee. They all live in Utah now so we'll see everyone every time we go there.

I like scary movies. I'll going to check out Zunardo's "13 Ghosts".
Old 10-18-17, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
That Hayward injury brought to mind watching Sports Center one morning, and seeing Moises Alou dislocate/break his ankle outwardly while stopping after rounding a base. I just sat there with my mouth open. He was sitting there, looking at it with a "why me" expression

I hate when that happens.

Was going to put this triva question in the Halloween movies thread, but thought the AARPsters might have a better shot at it, and it is certainly apropos for this time of year:

What is the only movie in which Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre starred together in?

Extra Credit: Why is this movie significant to the music industry to this day?
Bevo,

Anyone who is familiar with Peter Frampton's classic platinum album "Frampton Come Alive" should recall the use of the "voice box" modulator in " Do You Feel Like We Do". The movie from the 40's called "You'll Find Out" had the Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre together. A cult film which mixed comedy, horror, and music all together actually used the voice box 3 decades before Frampton.

JB
Old 10-18-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Bevo,

Anyone who is familiar with Peter Frampton's classic platinum album "Frampton Come Alive" should recall the use of the "voice box" modulator in " Do You Feel Like We Do". The movie from the 40's called "You'll Find Out" had the Karloff, Lugosi, and Lorre together. A cult film which mixed comedy, horror, and music all together actually used the voice box 3 decades before Frampton.

JB
We have a winner ( and I must apologize for not waiting until pt 3 of the Vietnam quiz had been completed).

Nice job, JB. Wasn't sure how many folks knew about that movie "You'll Find Out" (1940), the trio of horror actors together, or its ground-breaking use of audio technology which had just been invented one year earlier.

Technically this was a flick that featured Kay Kyser and his orchestra - and the one and only Ish Kabibble. Ish matches wits with a Poe-like raven in one funny scene while he and Kay and the rest of the group are exploring the spooky castle that they're supposed to play a gig in - and during stormy weather, of course.

The movie used the "Sonovox"during the seance scenes in the haunted castle, for the voices of the "spirits". That device, along with some glow-in-the dark masks representing the manifestation of said spirits, combined to create quite a scary effect, quite amazing for its time.

The Sonovox and the Singing Guitar (also invented in 1939) were improved upon and experimented with over the years, and their descendants are still being used in the studio by today's musicians and pop singers.

Using synthesizers in 1940 pop music? Who knew? Here's a clip of Kyser's band using the Sonovox during a musical number.

Last edited by Zunardo; 10-18-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 03:54 PM
All American

Wowie!

Two movies, among many that led me to sprint from the Star Theater to my house on Fourth Street were "13 Ghosts" - which used 3-D viewers and really scared me and my second all -time horror film , "The Tingler" which actually led to medication!

Other than The Exorcist" and the damage that did to me, my other early most frightening film is "The House on Haunted Hill". Recall that sinister, Vincent Price with the cheesy 'stach was going to give his guests the princely sum of $10,000 each if they spent the night in the "House" ... the lady floating outside the window, the little old lady who popped up and seemed to move on wheels, the incredible hellish music, etc. It was not unusual for me to stand in the back during many of these schlock shocks.

I was a goner for anything extra - wired seats, people running around in front of the screen, actors breaking whatever wall it is they break and talking directly to the audience, life insurance policies for dying of fright!! Jeez!!!!

diva - sounds like ma and pa need to move. Do ask your kiddos about Robbie Lee.

JB and Zunardo - This is my first visit with "You'll Find Out". Sounds like a movie I would have loved. Kay Keiser! Ish!! Eek!!!

Well, I will wrap up the answers on part three very soon.

The next quiz will be announced at that time. Should be a good one!

Zunardo - jump in whenever you want. Quizzes are very ephemeral.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-18-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 05:00 PM
All American

Sooner than I expected but I believe the quiz feels like it has lasted almost as long as the war. Here's what was left:

4. "Wild Child" by The Ventures
5. " The Gift" by The Velvet Underground. Interesting story within the song. A guy who thought his "gal" was a-cheatin' on him wanted to surprise her so he had placed himself in a box and mailed it to her. You know, as a gift. She was cheating on him. She in turn stabbed the box (I don't remember why; probably because it was from him) and killed him before opening it.

6. "The Healing" - Guy Clark
8. "Waiting" - Santana - good song that you will recognize.
10. "Big River" - written and performed by Johnny Cash
11. "Charlie Boy" - by The lumineers
14. Everyone knows "Give Peace A Chance " by The Plastic Ono Band. ("All we are saying... ."
15. "Angelina" by Bob Dylan

I believe we are all-tuckered out. (Stay out of the candy, it makes your sugar go through the roof!)

Next quiz comes to you by virtue of a passing reference that Monclova made to Woodstock. I have been looking over the material and I believe there is plenty there to talk about.

Woodstock - The quiz!! ("I said we're going down to Yasgur's farm think we'll join in a rock and roll band.") Coming soon - by the weekend.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-18-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 09:45 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sooner than I expected but I beleieve the quiz feels like it has lasted almost as long as the war. Here's what was left:

4. "Wild Child" by The Ventures
5. " The Gift" by The Velvet Underground. Interesting story within the song. A guy who thought his "gal" was a-cheatin' on him wanted to surprise her so he had placed himself in a box and mailed it to her. You know, as a gift. She was cheating on him. She in turn stabbed the box (I don't remember why; probably because it was from him) and killed him before opening it.

6. "The Healing" - Guy Clark
8. "Waiting" - Santana - good song that you will recognize.
10. "Big River" - written and performed by Johnny Cash
11. "Charlie Boy" - by The lumineers
14. Everyone knows "Give Peace A Chance " by The Plastic Ono Band. ("All we are saying... ."
15. "Angelina" by Bob Dylan

I believe we are all-tuckered out. (Stay out of the candy, it makes your sugar go through the roof!)

Next quiz comes to you by virtue of a passing reference that Monclova made to Woodstock. I have been looking over the material and I believe there is plenty there to talk about.

Woodstock - The quiz!! ("I said we're going down to Yasgur's farm think we'll join in a rock and roll band.") Coming soon - by the weekend.
Well...if I had thought about it a bit more, I would have gotten #14. I suspect others would have as well. Woodstock, eh? Now, you're making me feel old. LOL

My younger brother asked me what year that was and not thinking (again) I said '70, the year I graduated. It was actually '69, which makes sense as I was on my way to Carolina after graduation. Was Kent State also '69? If so, that was a heck of a year.
Old 10-18-17, 10:20 PM
All American

I believe Kent was May 4th. of '70. A warm weekend, the burning of the ROTC building, lot of beer, maybe the presence of really hardcore SDS members, James Rhodes, and the guard.

The iconic picture of the girl crouching over the body of slain student, Jeff Miller, went out everywhere. It became the picture of record for that day. The girl's name was something like Mary Vecchio.

Quickly - Why was she there? Was she a student? How old was she?

During Woodstock weekend, I was with my friend Chuck (rip - 2000) at a place at Lake Erie called Gem Beach; old style touristy place with an arcade and a dance hall. Our room cost around $10 a night. Just a bedroom, and a bathroom. I read a Toledo Blade each day about the festival. I was pining severely for Mrs. Bevo one. Who became the ex Mrs. Bevo 41 years ago.
Highlight of the two nights was in the dance hall where a band from southern Ohio, The Jordan Parker Review, played.

Last edited by Bevo; 10-19-17 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 06:31 AM
All American

Quote:
I believe Kent was May 4th. of '70. A warm weekend, the burning of the ROTC building, lot of beer, maybe the presence of really hardcore SDS members, James Rhodes, and the guard.

The iconic picture of the girl crouching over the body of slain student, Jeff Miller, went out everywhere. It became the picture of record for that day. The girl's name was something like Mary Vecchio.

Quickly - Why was she there? Was she a student? How old was she?

Ms. Vecchio was a runaway, and her age was reported as being 14 - 14! You certainly didn't get that impression from looking at the photo.
Old 10-19-17, 06:57 AM
All American

Correct on all counts of Mary Vecchio. I am pretty inept on the computer as I have proven many times. Can someone post that iconic picture of Mary?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: