Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-17-17, 05:44 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
As recently as 2015, Mapfre (Crew) Stadium was named MSL Stadium of the Year. If the owner thinks the Columbus taxpayers are building him a new stadium so soon after Mapfre received that designation he is crazy. The tax payers refused to build one in the first place, that is why Lamar Hunt built it privately. He will thus either drop his demands or move the team.
Old 10-17-17, 05:51 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Isn't there a HS in SE Ohio that is a very poor community and just had its stadium condemned? You could dismantle the bleachers here and send them in portions or whole to area high schools.
Yeah Trimble. Pretty sure they are the poorest school district in Ohio or pretty close
Old 10-17-17, 06:54 PM
All Region

sehs73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Yeah Trimble. Pretty sure they are the poorest school district in Ohio or pretty close
They are working to save the facade and replace the seating. I went to a game there last yaar and saw the Trimble Tomcats trounce the Alexander Spartans. Its a real cool old stadium.

https://www.whiznews.com/2017/08/glo...tball-stadium/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1942419529306440/
Old 10-17-17, 07:59 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
I could see the State Fair ground getting ownership. If they happens they put field turf in.

In 2002 and 2003 that was the best Stadium Elder played in for the playoffs. The location is great, if the State Fair owns it, the finals and other playoff games could be there.
Old 10-17-17, 08:08 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Is the state title game this fall being held in the new HOF stadium, or is it not yet ready?

Yes the state finals will be held at the stadium this year and next. Also I will be amazed that the OHSAA doesn't keep the state finals there. That stadium is no high school stadium anymore. It is the most over the top laid out stadium I have seen.
Old 10-17-17, 08:36 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Back in the day my company that I worked for built Columbus Crew Stadium. Yes I had a part in building that venue.

This is designed to be dismantled very quickly as for the property it is the sole ownership of the company that ownes the Crew.

As for the future of the venue through close friends that I made from the organization wile working on the project. This is totally up to the ownership they are at this time if they leave Columbus they will lease out for events. As for football being played in the venue is being discussed most likely a mixed use venue in a limited variety.

In the event they stay in Columbus they are tenitively looking at a demolition of the venue. At that time the property will go to the city of Columbus after demolition. This venue was built with private money with the support of the City of Columbus securing the property for the franchise for a price.

This venue can be reused and is very inexpensive it needs some major upgrades. Oh and the other thing the mounting pockets for the goal posts for football were removed when the new field was put in. That is why the consideration for football as it would cost more.
Old 10-17-17, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
The title games are at TBHOF this year and next. Though the land surrounding the stadium is going to be seeing some construction in the near term.

As for his statement about not moving from Canton. Yes, the stadium is great and hopefully Canton continues to put up great bids to keep the games there.

However, if Crew Stadium had turf and put up a comparable bid, it goes to Columbus. It's got all the boxes checked. It is a great stadium, if even a little old. It's adequately sized. It's centrally located (satisfies the Cincy contingent), and has a ridiculous amount of available parking,

Not that Canton can't top that, but anything close to a tie would go to Crew Stadium with turf.
Great statement. Centrally located!!
Old 10-17-17, 08:49 PM
All District

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I have been to Canton for a couple of state championship games. It is not an easy ride for a southwest Ohio contingent. The ride back one year was absolutely miserable due to the weather.
Old 10-17-17, 08:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
I have been to Canton for a couple of state championship games. It is not an easy ride for a southwest Ohio contingent. The ride back one year was absolutely miserable due to the weather.
Always has been the statements from the southern part of the state...but from a stadium that holds approx 25,000 people....there is no other like it. The press box is huge with suites that the OHSAA will love being in....totally way over the top with amazing site lines. When the OHSAA finals were there last there was a very nice press box. (a real nice press box actually)...well they tore that one down and built a palace.
Old 10-17-17, 09:15 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetom View Post
Great statement. Centrally located!!
That's not really an issue for me. However, I'm not a fan of the games at Ohio Stadium and prefer a smaller stadium such as TBHOF. If Mapfre ever hosted them, it would be the perfect venue.
Old 10-17-17, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Hopefully Columbus City Schools can get games there.
How about a Thursday night game of the week.
A Friday City League game of the week.
A Saturday Catholic school game of the week.
Old 10-17-17, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
One of the problems talked about with MAPFRE (aka Crew) Stadium is that it's on the Fairgrounds property which causes parking to be cost-prohibitive, since you're dealing with Fairgrounds parking prices.

Obvious big positive is that it's right off of I-71, which makes it easily accessible, though I don't know how entrance/egress is to and from the facility.
Old 10-17-17, 10:24 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
If it's going cheap maybe Moeller can buy it and finally have a home stadium.
Old 10-17-17, 10:49 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
One of the problems talked about with MAPFRE (aka Crew) Stadium is that it's on the Fairgrounds property which causes parking to be cost-prohibitive, since you're dealing with Fairgrounds parking prices.

Obvious big positive is that it's right off of I-71, which makes it easily accessible, though I don't know how entrance/egress is to and from the facility.
For a 'big game' that legitimately draws a big crowd, traffic is not the best as the interstate exits aren't really situated well to unload that many people to the fairground entrance. Same thing in reverse at the end of the game. For a fair, it's not an issue since not everyone is showing up at roughly the same time. For a game it could be a long wait getting out of there if the game was close to the end

---

Obviously though for this, if the Crew did get a new stadium in Columbus, the Crew wouldn't really want competition for events that could go to their new venue. But, it depends entirely on the contracts involved and what happens when the stadium sits empty without a team. The owner may have salvage rights, but I'm sure there's a right of first refusal baked somewhere into that lease to take over the stadium.
Old 10-18-17, 06:20 AM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Currently the seating capacity is 29,000 + The owners are seeking one to be built with 40,000 to 45,000 seating capacity. They have figured that in the current stadium you can have between 1,500 to 1,800 standing room only.
Old 10-18-17, 06:23 AM
Junior Varsity

pantherstat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
As recently as 2015, Mapfre (Crew) Stadium was named MSL Stadium of the Year. If the owner thinks the Columbus taxpayers are building him a new stadium so soon after Mapfre received that designation he is crazy. The tax payers refused to build one in the first place, that is why Lamar Hunt built it privately. He will thus either drop his demands or move the team.
Everything I've seen so far, they are not asking taxpayers to build a stadium. They are looking for a privately funded stadium
Old 10-18-17, 07:54 AM
All Region

jtigerjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Colerain played Tyler Lee, Texas there several years ago. Great venue for big high school games. It was natural grass then.
I attended that game also. Crew was very nice, as were the Texas cheerleaders. Not that I was looking.
Old 10-18-17, 08:09 AM
All World

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. Lots of different ways you could structure it. Especially if you're talking about creating a non-profit management entity to run it as a partnership between the OHSAA, individual school districts, colleges or other entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Not happening

The OHSAA nor any school district in Ohio has the money to purchase or the manpower to deal with a stadium such as this.
Old 10-18-17, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
They would have to shrink the field as even for high school soccer it's too wide! I guess it would be equivalent to a stadium with a track around it as to how far the lower deck would be from the field.
Huh? They already play high school games there during the year plus the state finals for.girls and boys. Don't think the field needs to be shrunk. A few Dayton area schools have large soccer fields already. CJ, Miami valley, and alters come to mind. You're just used to seeing soccer and football fields inside of tracks.
Old 10-18-17, 08:18 AM
All World

Then what's the issue? Just go build a stadium then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherstat View Post
Everything I've seen so far, they are not asking taxpayers to build a stadium. They are looking for a privately funded stadium
Old 10-18-17, 08:20 AM
All World

How often is the weather actually a factor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Old 10-18-17, 08:48 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
Is the state title game this fall being held in the new HOF stadium, or is it not yet ready?
ReLoad, always

Isn't the real question whether or not X fans would be able to tailgate (w/alcohol) in the parking lots of a stadium owned by the OHSAA?
Old 10-18-17, 08:53 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Yes the state finals will be held at the stadium this year and next. Also I will be amazed that the OHSAA doesn't keep the state finals there. That stadium is no high school stadium anymore. It is the most over the top laid out stadium I have seen.
Funny how the arguments about "too big" and "you can't do all the games at one stadium" fly out the window from the NEO fan-boys.

The reason it shouldn't be there all the time is the same reason it shouldn't be at Nippert all the time (my personal favorite venue for high school football), or University of Toledo Stadium (very nice) all the time. There is only one place that makes sense for an all the time venue, and it ain't in Canton.

My personal choice would be a rotation including the two stadiums named above as well as Canton and OSU.
Old 10-18-17, 09:10 AM
All District

2sportcoach is on a distinguished road
Yappi,

Totally agree. I was thinking the thursday night games that the CW shows every week could def just play the games there. Allow the schools to have concession on each side. Easily could be a neutral site for the 2nd round of the playoffs both on Friday and Saturday games.
Old 10-18-17, 09:16 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
Currently the seating capacity is 29,000 + The owners are seeking one to be built with 40,000 to 45,000 seating capacity. They have figured that in the current stadium you can have between 1,500 to 1,800 standing room only.
I believe the 29,000 capacity figure is for concerts with seats on the field. Game capacity was originally in the 25,000 range, then they built a permanent stage at one end some years back that lowered the game seating to 20,000.

They're averaging 15-16K attendance per game this year - decent, but hardly justification for soccer alone. Does the owner have some grandiose scheme to get sufficient non-soccer events/revenue in there to justify the increased size?

A stadium with the twice the capacity is nice to have, just to have - but to the Crew players, it would be like playing the HS football tourney games in Ohio Stadium - cavernous, with a plethora of empty seats (certain match-ups being an exception).
Old 10-18-17, 09:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
Funny how the arguments about "too big" and "you can't do all the games at one stadium" fly out the window from the NEO fan-boys.

The reason it shouldn't be there all the time is the same reason it shouldn't be at Nippert all the time (my personal favorite venue for high school football), or University of Toledo Stadium (very nice) all the time. There is only one place that makes sense for an all the time venue, and it ain't in Canton.

My personal choice would be a rotation including the two stadiums named above as well as Canton and OSU.
Re-read my post...did I say anything about "too big" and "you can't do all the games at one stadium". I said I would be surprised if they move it. The OHSAA will do what they want....other then seating 25,000 this is a pro football stadium...not high school, not college...that is how far over the top this place is
Old 10-18-17, 10:33 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
I wouldn't be so dismissive of it. Lots of different ways you could structure it. Especially if you're talking about creating a non-profit management entity to run it as a partnership between the OHSAA, individual school districts, colleges or other entities.
Not the functi0on of a school district or the OHSAA.

It makes much more sense to rent the facilities and let the professionals handle the task of running the venue instead of dealing with multiple partners (that always works out well ) in an entity.
Old 10-18-17, 10:35 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Re-read my post...did I say anything about "too big" and "you can't do all the games at one stadium". I said I would be surprised if they move it. The OHSAA will do what they want....other then seating 25,000 this is a pro football stadium...not high school, not college...that is how far over the top this place is
Its not what you said, it is what all NEO wanks have been saying for years.

And no, it won't permanently be in Canton. Too many people enjoyed the experience in Columbus while all of the ridiculous straw men arguments by the Canton folks fell by the wayside.

If I am lucky enough to travel up there this fall, I can almost guarantee you I won't agree it is a better atmosphere than the Shoe or Nippert. I mean you can put the Taj Mahal in Canton if you want - doesn't change the fact that you are sitting beside a highway where you have to smell and see Canton. At least this year, I don't think I will have to pee on a wall.
Old 10-18-17, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

McK93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
Its not what you said, it is what all NEO wanks have been saying for years.

And no, it won't permanently be in Canton. Too many people enjoyed the experience in Columbus while all of the ridiculous straw men arguments by the Canton folks fell by the wayside.

If I am lucky enough to travel up there this fall, I can almost guarantee you I won't agree it is a better atmosphere than the Shoe or Nippert. I mean you can put the Taj Mahal in Canton if you want - doesn't change the fact that you are sitting beside a highway where you have to smell and see Canton. At least this year, I don't think I will have to pee on a wall.
You have been whining about this forever. I'd say you need a new hobby. You've gotten where with it exactly? Such a waste of time. I hope you make it up to enjoy some football in an outstanding new stadium, I'll bring some tissues for you to sob into some more.
Old 10-18-17, 10:56 AM
Freshman

Skoalpatrol65 is on a distinguished road
Would be a great place for Mechanicsburg to move to