Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-18, 02:09 PM
All World

JBaller
Princeton has been consistently the best program for boys and girls basketball. At times, their boys and girls tennis programs have contended for state championships. They have recently had individual state champions in tennis, cross country, and track. There have been times when their swimming program has been strong. Princeton has a lot going for it, and given its central location in the Cincinnati suburbs, it would be an asset for any conference.
Old 01-06-18, 02:14 PM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIllinifan View Post
Iíd hate to see any schools leave the GMC, but losing Sycamore would be a significant loss, IMO.
It would be very stupid if Sycamore were to be the only school to leave the GMC. Consistently being in the bottom 3 in the conference in enrollment their entire time in the conference, Sycamore has really had to elevate their game to compete in several sports. If they leave for the ECC, they would suddenly become the biggest school in their conference and should dominate the all sports trophy so much, that complacency would easily occur. I can't see them leaving unless the conference is going to significantly change. I also can't see them going anywhere without Mason or Princeton.
Old 01-06-18, 03:15 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
Princeton has been consistently the best program for boys and girls basketball. At times, their boys and girls tennis programs have contended for state championships. They have recently had individual state champions in tennis, cross country, and track. There have been times when their swimming program has been strong. Princeton has a lot going for it, and given its central location in the Cincinnati suburbs, it would be an asset for any conference.
I completely agree with everything you said.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-18, 03:45 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would be very surprised to see Sycamore leave the GMC unless the GMC as we know it will dissolve or experience significant changes. I honestly don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Certain schools feel like they have affiliations with other schools in the league or other leagues that they would like to continue to compete with. The Lakotas and Mason have a natural affiliation being wealthy school districts, being contiguous to one another, having high enrollments, and room to grow.

Fairfield and Hamilton are also naturally tied together due to their extremely close proximity and massive sizes, but they are not nearly as well off as the Lakotas and Mason, Hamilton especially so.

Oak Hills can be tied in with Fairfield and Hamilton due to their massive size. They are more well off than Fairfield and Hamilton, but not on the Lakota and Mason levels. Oak Hills traveling to Fairfield and Hamilton really isn't that far of a drive either. However, the major difference is that Oak Hills is fairly competitive across all sports whereas Fairfield and Hamilton sometimes struggle to even field teams.

Sycamore and Princeton are very interesting. Sycamore has very strong ties with Mason but is not nearly as big. They also have very strong ties with Princeton due to the district boundaries being so intertwined (some houses in the Princeton school district can see Sycamore HS) and the fact that both districts are entirely built out. Princeton is definitely the most demographically diverse school district in the Cincinnati area, but their connection to Sycamore and similar size enrollments I think makes them a package deal.

Colerain doesn't really fit with any of the other schools as currently constituted. The Northwest school district as a whole as pretty similar characteristics to Fairfield, but with the split high schools, the enrollment numbers simply don't match. A combined Northwest high school does make sense to fit with Fairfield, Hamilton, and Oak Hills.

The odd school out is definitely Middletown. The Middletown school district is not contiguous with any of the other GMC members and has declining population and enrollment. It is also probably the least wealthy school district in the conference and struggles in all sports, even football and basketball now.

IF there is conference turmoil, the following is what probably should happen, although I have no idea if it will:

Lakota West, Lakota East, Mason, Sycamore, and Princeton stick together and combine with West Clermont, Milford, and Walnut Hills to form a new Northeast and East Cincinnati suburbs conference of big schools for an 8 team conference. Springboro and Lebanon would be welcome to join as well to get to a 10 team league. I could see this conference reviving the old Eastern Hills League name.

Oak Hills, Colerain, Hamilton, and Fairfield join the Southwest Ohio Conference along with Winton Woods in a big school division to go with Harrison, Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda, Northwest, and Mt Healthy in an 11 team, 2 division conference. Eventually, Northwest works toward combining Colerain and Northwest and you get a 10 team, 2 division conference that works pretty well. The divisions would only matter in the football and basketball (crossover games could still be played in basketball), while I think the other sports would largely be pretty competitive even between the big schools and smaller schools.

Middletown finds a home in the GWOC American South Division with Trotwood-Madison, Fairborn, Xenia, Stebbins, and West Carrollton.

The ECC remains with Anderson, Turpin, Loveland, and Kings. They add Little Miami and then get Goshen and New Richmond from the Southern Buckeye Conference to be an 8-team league that is entirely D2 and D3 in football.
Why would the GWOC be interested in Middeltown?why would Springboro or Lebanon leave the GWOC to join the GMC
Old 01-06-18, 03:54 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Princeton football is 35-64 since 2004 in the GMC where Pat Mancuso dominated for 20 straight years or more--the move to the ECC for Princeton is about football and getting back to competing for league championships and making the playoffs. Princeton boys basketball had a fine run from 07/08 to 10/11 with 3 league titles, but the last 6 years they are 40-50 and zero GMC titles. They will likely win the league this year if they stay healthy.

Football drives the show and the crowds to make $'s for the Athletic Department. ECC student #'s match-up with Princeton in today's environment better than GMC school #'s.
Old 01-06-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
Why would the GWOC be interested in Middeltown?why would Springboro or Lebanon leave the GWOC to join the GMC
Middletown is the most logical fifth school to round out the division with Springboro, Miamisburg, Lebanon and Northmont. Middletown's a 15-20 minute drive from three of the four.

Unless something's changed, at the time the GWOC agreed to take on Tippecanoe and Stebbins their plan was to eventually add another school for that division.
Old 01-06-18, 04:27 PM
Freshman

Indian77 is on a distinguished road
Jballer I am curious as to what teams Fairfield has problems fielding? Other than boys basketball I think they have competed pretty well the last few years espially with the main sports. They always finish at the top with football and have regularly made playoffs. There wrestling program has really flourished they had multiple state qualifiers last year and a few that medaled at the state level. There girls basketball program has been doing decent this year. The baseball team made a good tourney run last year and they finished second in the gmc one game behind west. They were co champs the year before with mason. The softball team did well last year as well. The boys and girls soccer team won the gmc this past year. The girls had an impressive run in the tourney. I will agree that lakota mason and sycamore have more money than Ff but I don’t feel that they are bottom dwellers of the gmc. Yes they are close geographically to hamilton but they are to lakota s well. There are parts of the district that one side of the street is lakota and the other is Fairfield.
I defiantly don’t see the GMC dissolving maybe a few teams might want to leave but there will be other teams that would want to join.
Old 01-06-18, 04:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian77 View Post
Jballer I am curious as to what teams Fairfield has problems fielding? Other than boys basketball I think they have competed pretty well the last few years espially with the main sports. They always finish at the top with football and have regularly made playoffs. There wrestling program has really flourished they had multiple state qualifiers last year and a few that medaled at the state level. There girls basketball program has been doing decent this year. The baseball team made a good tourney run last year and they finished second in the gmc one game behind west. They were co champs the year before with mason. The softball team did well last year as well. The boys and girls soccer team won the gmc this past year. The girls had an impressive run in the tourney. I will agree that lakota mason and sycamore have more money than Ff but I donít feel that they are bottom dwellers of the gmc. Yes they are close geographically to hamilton but they are to lakota s well. There are parts of the district that one side of the street is lakota and the other is Fairfield.
I defiantly donít see the GMC dissolving maybe a few teams might want to leave but there will be other teams that would want to join.
Fairfield without question fits the GMC profile and I don't see them as having trouble competing in all sports. They have the regular ups and downs that comes with all public schools.

Old 01-06-18, 04:54 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Middletown is the most logical fifth school to round out the division with Springboro, Miamisburg, Lebanon and Northmont. Middletown's a 15-20 minute drive from three of the four.

Unless something's changed, at the time the GWOC agreed to take on Tippecanoe and Stebbins their plan was to eventually add another school for that division.
I stand corrected,did not know they were that close
Old 01-06-18, 05:08 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Still can't figure out why some people think Springboro, Lebanon, Centerville or any combination of the 3 would leave the GWOC for the GMC....
Old 01-06-18, 05:11 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
Still can't figure out why some people think Springboro, Lebanon, Centerville or any combination of the 3 would leave the GWOC for the GMC....
Pretty sure nobody said that

Old 01-06-18, 05:18 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian77 View Post
I defiantly donít see the GMC dissolving maybe a few teams might want to leave but there will be other teams that would want to join.
I think the ONLY team that would want to join would be Winton Woods. MAYBE Harrison, depending on the strength of the SWOC.

How bout we get back on topic....GMC Basketball! Sorry I threw this out there!
Old 01-06-18, 11:10 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Battle for the Basement: Advantage Colerain
Battle for Second: Advantage OHills
Battle for 3rd-5th: Advantage East
Battle for VW's endorsement: Blue, big meeting on NY Day. 3 more wins coming.
Old 01-06-18, 11:15 PM
All World

Princeton at Mason Is this when Princeton get the league loss?
Can Sycamore beat OHills in the hangar?
Does VW give big compliments to Cards coach on their defense?
Old 01-08-18, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
My Power Rankings going into Week 7

1. Princeton- Will get tested this week
2. Oak Hills- Took out the Comets
3. Mason- Could bounce back against the Vikes
4. Lakota East- Trending up with should be wins this week
5. Sycamore- They are making the GMC look good
6. Hamilton- I think the Cards could beat them
7. Colerain- Show me that you really improved and beat the Big Blue
8. Fairfield- They better beat LW this week
9. Lakota West- Got destroyed by the Big Blue
10. Middletown- Who scheduled Covington Catholic for the Middies
Old 01-08-18, 02:17 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
It would be very stupid if Sycamore were to be the only school to leave the GMC. Consistently being in the bottom 3 in the conference in enrollment their entire time in the conference, Sycamore has really had to elevate their game to compete in several sports. If they leave for the ECC, they would suddenly become the biggest school in their conference and should dominate the all sports trophy so much, that complacency would easily occur. I can't see them leaving unless the conference is going to significantly change. I also can't see them going anywhere without Mason or Princeton.
this first part simply is not true. used to be one of the highest enrollment when it started. then Mason and Oak Hills joined, Lakotas split, etc.

they wouldn't "dominate" in every sport. football and basketball would get the biggest boosts, which is where they have struggled (at least in the league because with football it's basically Colerain, then everyone else)

would not be a bad move at all for Sycamore to do this. they would get closer, more competitive rivals (to their level) such as Kings and Loveland (is Milford in there as well?) attendance would be better at home. nobody comes to the games from Middletown or Hamilton or even Oak Hills. all 3 of those schools are 30-45 minutes away. those other 3 i mentioned are 15 minutes or less.

Aves should make the move.
Old 01-09-18, 10:22 AM
All Ohio

They need a better way how to rank these teams early on. In Columbus Pick North is ranked #1 and Upper Arlington is #2, but in the state rankings UA is the #1 D1 team and PN is not even ranked. In Cincinnati Princeton is the #1 ranked team followed by Moeller with three losses(3 really good losses), but in the state rankings Moeller is ranked higher than Princeton. But at the end of the day these rankings don't mean much early on
Old 01-09-18, 10:38 AM
All World

hey Vike, nobody cares about the rankings and forget about a better way. There is a tournament to figure it all out.
Old 01-09-18, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
hey Vike, nobody cares about the rankings and forget about a better way. There is a tournament to figure it all out.
You are right. Just dont make much sense
Old 01-09-18, 05:16 PM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
this first part simply is not true. used to be one of the highest enrollment when it started. then Mason and Oak Hills joined, Lakotas split, etc.
Sycamore's enrollment has never been above 2100 students. It currently sits at only 1700 students (honestly, didn't know enrollment had even fallen this much). In their GMC history, their enrollment has never been higher than Hamilton's or Fairfield's. Princeton used to have a much higher enrollment, briefly fell below Sycamore the last few years, but is now back above Sycamore. Middletown's enrollment just fell close to Sycamore's for the first time since Sycamore has been in the conference. Lima Senior always had a larger enrollment, and the Lakotas remained bigger even in the initial stages after they split. Colerain has always had a similar enrollment, but it has always been slightly higher. Same with Milford when they were in the conference. Oak Hills and Hamilton have been way bigger than Sycamore since they joined the league.

Current GMC Enrollment Numbers, Grades 9-11 in 2016 (Approx. 4 year total):

Mason = 2,661 (3,550)
Fairfield = 2,369 (3,160)
Lakota East = 2,087 (2,780)
Hamilton = 1,937 (2,580)
Lakota West = 1,864 (2,490)
Oak Hills = 1,822 (2,430)
Colerain = 1,435 (1,910)
Princeton = 1,302 (1,740)
Middletown = 1,251 (1,670)
Sycamore = 1,248 (1,660)

Current ECC Enrollment Numbers, Grades 9-11 in 2016 (Approx. 4 year total):

West Clermont = 1,814 (2,420)
Milford = 1,503 (2,000)
Walnut Hills = 1,399 (1,870)
Loveland = 1,130 (1,510)
Anderson = 1,002 (1,340)
Kings = 987 (1,320)
Turpin = 836 (1,110)
Withrow = 784 (1,050)

Others of note: Little Miami = 979 (1,310)

Honestly, I think each of these respective schools are seeing these enrollment numbers and how much they have changed in recent years. Sycamore being less than half the size of Mason probably raised some alarm bells. I can see why the move is being considered, but I still think there is far more to be gained from being in the GMC as opposed to the ECC for Sycamore. It will be a sad day if it happens. I've asked around, and this seems to be the way the two conferences are trending:

GMC
Loses Princeton, Middletown, and Sycamore
Adds West Clermont
Eight schools are the following:
Mason (3,550)
Fairfield (3,160)
Lakota East (2,780)
Hamilton (2,580)
Lakota West (2,490)
Oak Hills (2,430)
West Clermont (2,420)
Colerain (1,910)

ECC
Loses West Clermont and Withrow
Adds Sycamore and Princeton
Milford (2,000)
Walnut Hills (1,870)
Princeton (1,740)
Sycamore (1,660)
Loveland = (1,510)
Anderson (1,340)
Kings (1,320)
Turpin (1,110)

Not listed: Middletown goes to one of the GWOC divisions, Withrow goes to the reincarnation of the CMAC

Honestly, having two eight school leagues within close proximity to each other will even ease non-conference scheduling as well as everybody can be playing a crossover game on the same night. I think this is what's happening whether we all like it or not (and I don't).
Old 01-09-18, 05:21 PM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
My Power Rankings going into Week 7

1. Princeton- Will get tested this week The way Mason plays could beat them, especially if Mason is hot from the outside
2. Oak Hills- Took out the Comets Can win every game with the way they defend, but they can also be upset because they can't score
3. Mason- Could bounce back against the Vikes Awfully thin bench as the OT loss against Oak Hills showed with the Big 3 all fouling out
4. Lakota East- Trending up with should be wins this week Escaped against Sycamore. Haven't seen their best basketball yet
5. Sycamore- They are making the GMC look good Playing pretty good ball. Was unlucky against East as they may have gotten away with a push off on the game winning tip
6. Hamilton- I think the Cards could beat them Talented if they can figure it out
7. Colerain- Show me that you really improved and beat the Big Blue Finally out of the basement! Need to win with their defense.
8. Fairfield- They better beat LW this week Centerville was a really good non-conference win. Western Hills was a really bad non-conference loss
9. Lakota West- Got destroyed by the Big Blue Really bad team
10. Middletown- Who scheduled Covington Catholic for the MiddiesAbsolutely absurd scheduling this year for the quality of team they have.
My comments added
Old 01-09-18, 08:05 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sycamore's enrollment has never been above 2100 students. It currently sits at only 1700 students (honestly, didn't know enrollment had even fallen this much). In their GMC history, their enrollment has never been higher than Hamilton's or Fairfield's. Princeton used to have a much higher enrollment, briefly fell below Sycamore the last few years, but is now back above Sycamore. Middletown's enrollment just fell close to Sycamore's for the first time since Sycamore has been in the conference. Lima Senior always had a larger enrollment, and the Lakotas remained bigger even in the initial stages after they split. Colerain has always had a similar enrollment, but it has always been slightly higher. Same with Milford when they were in the conference. Oak Hills and Hamilton have been way bigger than Sycamore since they joined the league.

Current GMC Enrollment Numbers, Grades 9-11 in 2016 (Approx. 4 year total):

Mason = 2,661 (3,550)
Fairfield = 2,369 (3,160)
Lakota East = 2,087 (2,780)
Hamilton = 1,937 (2,580)
Lakota West = 1,864 (2,490)
Oak Hills = 1,822 (2,430)
Colerain = 1,435 (1,910)
Princeton = 1,302 (1,740)
Middletown = 1,251 (1,670)
Sycamore = 1,248 (1,660)

Current ECC Enrollment Numbers, Grades 9-11 in 2016 (Approx. 4 year total):

West Clermont = 1,814 (2,420)
Milford = 1,503 (2,000)
Walnut Hills = 1,399 (1,870)
Loveland = 1,130 (1,510)
Anderson = 1,002 (1,340)
Kings = 987 (1,320)
Turpin = 836 (1,110)
Withrow = 784 (1,050)

Others of note: Little Miami = 979 (1,310)

Honestly, I think each of these respective schools are seeing these enrollment numbers and how much they have changed in recent years. Sycamore being less than half the size of Mason probably raised some alarm bells. I can see why the move is being considered, but I still think there is far more to be gained from being in the GMC as opposed to the ECC for Sycamore. It will be a sad day if it happens. I've asked around, and this seems to be the way the two conferences are trending:

GMC
Loses Princeton, Middletown, and Sycamore
Adds West Clermont
Mason (3,550)
Fairfield (3,160)
Lakota East (2,780)
Hamilton (2,580)
Lakota West (2,490)
Oak Hills (2,430)
West Clermont (2,420)
Colerain (1,910)

ECC
Loses West Clermont and Withrow
Adds Sycamore and Princeton
Milford (2,000)
Walnut Hills (1,870)
Princeton (1,740)
Sycamore (1,660)
Loveland = (1,510)
Anderson (1,340)
Kings (1,320)
Turpin (1,110)

Not listed: Middletown goes to one of the GWOC divisions, Withrow goes to the reincarnation of the CMAC

Honestly, having two eight school leagues within close proximity to each other will even ease non-conference scheduling as well as everybody can be playing a crossover game on the same night. I think this is what's happening whether we all like it or not (and I don't).
Where have you heard about Withrow heading back to the CMAC? Because I've been getting the opposite.
Old 01-09-18, 08:35 PM
U. S. American

MasonComet is on a distinguished road
Mason getting rocked by Princeton tonight: 59-32 after 3.

Vikes were 7-9 on 3s and shooting 67% in the first half.
Old 01-09-18, 08:51 PM
Junior Varsity

bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
Vikings shut up all that mason talk. Quit doubting this group
Old 01-09-18, 09:34 PM
All American

oxat622
Mason's not bad, but couldn't handle Princeton's length. Doesn't help either when the Vikes are all net all night.
Old 01-09-18, 09:55 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Oak Hills takes down the Aviators to stay one game behind Princeton in the GMC. Oak Hills led by 10 or more the entire 2nd half and by 18 when the starters came out at 54-36 with 1:00 to go. Sycamore scored the last 7 points in garbage time. Starters Bekemeyer and Deifel score 11 and 10 and subs Dockery and Moeller get 11 and 10 as well--tough to beat that balance. Oakies move to 8-3 with the victory.
Old 01-09-18, 10:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballlife89 View Post
Vikings shut up all that mason talk. Quit doubting this group
Who is doubting the Vikings??? Everyone on here has said they are by far the #1 team in the league, and that was before the season even started. Since the season started the talk about Princeton still hasn't been doubt but that them and moekker are head and shoulders above the rest of the city. The only real debate has been about which of the two is better.

You may have heard it said that when will they have the obligation loss to a team worse then them that almost all high school teams experience in a season, and maybe that will be Mason, kinda like their out of the blue and unexplainable loss to Colerain last year. But no one has ever doubted that Princeton is still one of the two best teaans in Cincinnati, and 3rd isn't even close. Stop being so defensive. Makes you sound like a little girl.

Old 01-09-18, 11:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Who said I was talking about anyone in this thread? There are people outside of this thread. Several in the city that said mason would beat the Vikings.
Old 01-09-18, 11:30 PM
All World

"Several in the city that said mason would beat the Vikings" This is funny and coming from outside the thread. Maybe let us know about your conversations. Anyway, the Vikings are #1 in the GMC and possibly #1 in the city.
Old 01-10-18, 12:35 AM
Junior Varsity

Yappi is definitely not the only place local sports are talked about, in fact most kids I have talked to don't even know what it is.

With that being said, I find it hard to believe anyone outside of oak hills will give the Vikings any chance of a loss in the gmc.