Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-18, 01:50 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump21 View Post
New guys take...

#1 Princeton. Next level talent

#2 Mason

#3 East kind of a one man show. Not a great formula. However seem to be grooming young talent that they recruit in.

#4 - #8 about the same...have watched them all

Oak Hills - Avg talent but seem to win. Typically means they are well coached?? Sorry Jim I respectfully disagree about Price.

Sycamore - Avg talent

Fairfield - Avg talent but athletic

Hamilton - top 3 talent but under achieving. Could see them move up.

West - below avg talent over achieving

#9 Middletown

#10 c'mon Colerain

Have not seen Middletown or Colerain. Am I wrong about Middies?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Glad your new Jump--not sure your rankings rationale if you look at who has beaten each other so far:

OH is clearly #2 and not close to being in the 4-8 range at 8-3 overall--they have beaten Mason at Mason and East and also own wins over Sycamore, West and Colerain. You are corrrect about how well-coached they are to really give Princeton a respectable game as they trailed by 4 with 3 minutes to go before Princeton won it by 12 pts. Certainly Mason at #3 and East at #4 would be accurate as Mason owns a head to head win over East and is 7-2 compared to East at 6-5.

Sycamore,Fairfield, Hamilton amd West likely at 5-8 is right-on as Sycamore has knocked off Hamilton but lost to West--Fairfield has knocked off Hamilton and West but lost to Middletown--Hamilton has beaten West but lost to Sycamore and Fairfield.

Have to put Colerain at #9 as they own a head to head win over Middletown to get them ahead of the Middies.
Old 01-12-18, 01:51 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
GMC Pick'em is waiting
Old 01-12-18, 02:20 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
New guys take...

#1 Princeton. Next level talent

#2 Mason

#3 East kind of a one man show. Not a great formula. However seem to be grooming young talent that they recruit in.

#4 - #8 about the same...have watched them all

Oak Hills - Avg talent but seem to win. Typically means they are well coached?? Sorry Jim I respectfully disagree about Price.

Sycamore - Avg talent

Fairfield - Avg talent but athletic

Hamilton - top 3 talent but under achieving. Could see them move up.

West - below avg talent over achieving

#9 Middletown

#10 c'mon Colerain

Have not seen Middletown or Colerain. Am I wrong about Middies?

Haven't seen Colerain, but I have seen Middletown twice. Watched them at the beginning of the season against X. I could see they were very young and inexperienced, but the kids looked talented and could be respectful by the end of the year, but doubtful they would break into the top half of the GMC by that same time.

Then I watched them play Elder the other day. I saw a really terrible team that looked to be coached to be that way. I saw a lack of effort and caring by the players. I saw mismanagement of the talent they had. And I saw a team whose coach had them stay in a 1-3-1 zone from start to finish despite having a team shoot an insane 15 threes on you and even being down by 30pts at one point. A better team would have blown them out by 50 or 60 that night.

I will say that I was caught off guard by EJ Williams being back in Middletown. I had remember it being brought up on here early in the season in passing but never heard anything more after that and completely forgot about it. He is listed as 6'10 315lbs, but after seeing him play I think they may be shorting him on both those stats. He has worked on his footwork and post moves since being a freshman and he's damn near unstoppable. Yes, I said unstoppable. But this Middletown team is so bad that even having an unstoppable player on their team doesn't help much. That's how bad they are.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-18, 02:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Glad your new Jump--not sure your rankings rationale if you look at who has beaten each other so far:

OH is clearly #2 and not close to being in the 4-8 range at 8-3 overall--they have beaten Mason at Mason and East and also own wins over Sycamore, West and Colerain. You are corrrect about how well-coached they are to really give Princeton a respectable game as they trailed by 4 with 3 minutes to go before Princeton won it by 12 pts. Certainly Mason at #3 and East at #4 would be accurate as Mason owns a head to head win over East and is 7-2 compared to East at 6-5.

Sycamore,Fairfield, Hamilton amd West likely at 5-8 is right-on as Sycamore has knocked off Hamilton but lost to West--Fairfield has knocked off Hamilton and West but lost to Middletown--Hamilton has beaten West but lost to Sycamore and Fairfield.

Have to put Colerain at #9 as they own a head to head win over Middletown to get them ahead of the Middies.
After seeing all 3 teams, regardless of head to head records, I really feel like OH, Mason and East are interchangeable and pretty much equal. After that you have the the middle group that are all the same. And rounding out the bottom with the last group of Middletown and Colerain. Put either one at 9 or 10. At this point it doesn't even matter with those two lol

Old 01-12-18, 02:55 PM
Freshman

Jump21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Haven't seen Colerain, but I have seen Middletown twice. Watched them at the beginning of the season against X. I could see they were very young and inexperienced, but the kids looked talented and could be respectful by the end of the year, but doubtful they would break into the top half of the GMC by that same time.

Then I watched them play Elder the other day. I saw a really terrible team that looked to be coached to be that way. I saw a lack of effort and caring by the players. I saw mismanagement of the talent they had. And I saw a team whose coach had them stay in a 1-3-1 zone from start to finish despite having a team shoot an insane 15 threes on you and even being down by 30pts at one point. A better team would have blown them out by 50 or 60 that night.

I will say that I was caught off guard by EJ Williams being back in Middletown. I had remember it being brought up on here early in the season in passing but never heard anything more after that and completely forgot about it. He is listed as 6'10 315lbs, but after seeing him play I think they may be shorting him on both those stats. He has worked on his footwork and post moves since being a freshman and he's damn near unstoppable. Yes, I said unstoppable. But this Middletown team is so bad that even having an unstoppable player on their team doesn't help much. That's how bad they are.

Good take on Middletown.

Old 01-12-18, 04:47 PM
All Ohio

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After seeing all 3 teams, regardless of head to head records, I really feel like OH, Mason and East are interchangeable and pretty much equal. After that you have the the middle group that are all the same. And rounding out the bottom with the last group of Middletown and Colerain. Put either one at 9 or 10. At this point it doesn't even matter with those two lol

Colerain did beat them by 13 at Middletown so I think it separates 9 and 10.
Old 01-12-18, 06:37 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
A couple of observations, wasn't sure about Princeton beyond their talent. The new coach is an upgrade, they are a definite threat to go to the Final Four.
East gave the OH game away, that is why I think they are better than OH. Giving OH credit for being better than I thought they would be. They are winning close games.
Jump...curious about the East recruiting comment? I know the one player left West but to my knowledge they pretty much develop their own kids?
Old 01-12-18, 06:38 PM
All World

Was also surprised about Williams being back. Is he a Jr. or Sr.?
Old 01-12-18, 06:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Was also surprised about Williams being back. Is he a Jr. or Sr.?
Senior

Old 01-12-18, 06:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Lakota West at Oak Hills will now be Saturday 1/13 at 4:30,6, and 7:30 game times
Lakota East at Fairfield is moved to Tuesday 1/16
Sycamore at Princeton postponed to TBD
Middletown at Hamilton will be played on 1/17
Mason at Colerain Saturday 1/13 at 4:30, 6:00, and 7:30
I've been wanting to thank you for always having the updates on schedule changes. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say it's appreciated.

Old 01-12-18, 08:38 PM
All World

Quote:
I've been wanting to thank you for always having the updates on schedule changes. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say it's appreciated.

You are welcome Philly--I love the GMC from watching it back in 1965-1970 as a young basketball player in Hamilton, playing against GMC teams as a player in HS from 1971-74, coaching against GMC schools and coaching at a GMC school during my 27 years of HS coaching, and having 3 sons play for Mason and one coach there as well, and now another son coaching at a GMC school--alot of GMC in my blood!!

Now I can be a fan just like everyone else. I still think it's the best overall Public School league in Ohio
Old 01-13-18, 01:59 PM
Freshman

Jump21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A couple of observations, wasn't sure about Princeton beyond their talent. The new coach is an upgrade, they are a definite threat to go to the Final Four.
East gave the OH game away, that is why I think they are better than OH. Giving OH credit for being better than I thought they would be. They are winning close games.
Jump...curious about the East recruiting comment? I know the one player left West but to my knowledge they pretty much develop their own kids?
Maybe I'm talking out of turn but I got the impression it was common knowledge that they have acquired several open enrollment kids. Parents seemed to talk pretty openly about it.

Old 01-13-18, 02:19 PM
All World

Jump, I don't know enough about their roster, you making that statement was the first I ever heard of it.
Old 01-13-18, 04:41 PM
Freshman

Indian77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe I'm talking out of turn but I got the impression it was common knowledge that they have acquired several open enrollment kids. Parents seemed to talk pretty openly about it.

This is the first I have heard of East having open enrollment kids on their roster. I know is a kid who moved to east from west. A kid from east open enrolled at west and should be able to play soon. How many kids are open enrolled that are on their roster? I was always under the impression that the east coach is a good guy and works with the talent he has.

I know hamilton has at least three kids that are open enrollment kids on there varsity roster and I believe at least one on their jv roster.
Old 01-13-18, 11:39 PM
All District

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
If Moeller can not beat Princeton consistently, SW Ohio is worse off than I thought. Pick North whipped the Vikings. Hopefully, Princeton stayed and watched Trotwood. TW lost, but they were 110% in all phases of the game.

Last edited by HardCorps; 01-14-18 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Word change
Old 01-14-18, 08:37 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
If Moeller can not beat Princeton consistently, SW Ohio is worse off than I thought. Pick North whipped the Vikings. Hopefully, Princeton stayed and watched Trotwood. TW lost, but they were 110% in all phases of the game.
They haven't played like that all year so far. But the Vikings seemed confused on Offense with 24 turnovers and Bazley only taking 11 shots. I think Pickerington North humbled Princeton yesterday
Old 01-14-18, 11:07 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
They haven't played like that all year so far. But the Vikings seemed confused on Offense with 24 turnovers and Bazley only taking 11 shots. I think Pickerington North humbled Princeton yesterday
For the sake of SW Ohio, and GMC, basketball, I sincerely hope that game was an aberration, for the Vikings. They just seemed to have major problems playing a team that got after it on defense and matched up well on all 5 Princeton players. Good luck to the Vikings.
Old 01-14-18, 11:11 AM
All World

Was hoping the Vikings would show better in this game.
Old 01-14-18, 11:44 AM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Same thing when they played Oak Hills. OH just doesn't have Johnnys and Joe's. Pick must have a couple.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-18, 12:16 PM
All World

Pickerington has an equal talent level to the Vikings, this was a test. Given the manner they have responded to the new coach I am going to say they will respond well to this setback.
Old 01-14-18, 01:55 PM
All District

Quote:
Pickerington has an equal talent level to the Vikings, this was a test. Given the manner they have responded to the new coach I am going to say they will respond well to this setback.
Does Princeton always run that offense where the player takes1-3 habit dribbles, jumps up as high as he can, decides not to shoot and heaves the ball in the general direction of a teammate?
Old 01-14-18, 03:11 PM
Freshman

Havenwood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
Oak Hills at #4? They beat LE at home and Mason on the road
Princeton
Oak Hills
Mason
East
Old 01-14-18, 03:15 PM
Freshman

Havenwood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
Moeller will beat Princeton if they play. With McBride Moeller wins state this year but since they don't have him they can't do it. They are deep but not deep with studs like him.
Old 01-15-18, 11:17 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Hurt me to see how far the Middies have fallen,hope it gets turned around
Old 01-16-18, 11:26 PM
All World

Decided to skip the Comets at Kings and went over to the Elder at Oak Hills backyard rivalry game. Amazing crowd lining the upper deck at OH and the Elder boys out in force in the upper deck with OH having a "white-out" in their very full student section--felt like a HS game from the 70's and 80's.

OH came out and jumped on the Panthers opening up an unbelievable 22-1 lead 11 minutes into the game. OH defense was taking everything away that Elder wanted to run and Elder was very leery to even take a shot. OH was executing on all cylinders as Strader, Hayes, and Nick Deifel with two "3" balls got the Highlanders rolling. Elder fought back to cut it to 27-17 at the half and kept digging in to cut the lead to 34-27 heading into the final quarter. The Panthers got the lead down to 4 at 36-32, but OH got a few stops and made a high % of free throws and two big layups by Berkemeier to seal the 51-38 win. Great coaching job by Coach Price and his staff in moving OH to 10-3 and a pat on the back for a very solid comeback by the Panthers that fell short.
Old 01-16-18, 11:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
Hurt me to see how far the Middies have fallen,hope it gets turned around
It's real ugly over there. They have a really young team this year, but that's not why they are as bad as they are.

Old 01-17-18, 02:29 AM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
West-St. X

Firebirds find positives in 62-47 loss at St. Xavier

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...syWNKcQLDexGP/
Old 01-17-18, 09:44 AM
Varsity

jeddimaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
Firebirds find positives in 62-47 loss at St. Xavier

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...syWNKcQLDexGP/
Article says that Max Kiker is no longer on the team and was their leading scorer? Any idea why?
Old 01-17-18, 12:04 PM
All World

Maybe jimmers knows the answer why? He appears to have good knowledge of their coach.
Old 01-17-18, 12:18 PM
U. S. American

MasonComet is on a distinguished road
Princeton to play the top-rated team in Indiana Friday, New Albany (11-1).

New Albany's team includes highly recruited Sr Romeo Langford, a 6-5 guard who is averaging 33 points per game and is #10 on Indiana's all-time scoring list so far.

The game will be on ESPNU @ 5:30 (@ New Albany).

http://www.vikenation.org/News/d659f...-a7b779ec1398/