Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-06-18, 12:05 PM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Absolutely it is. Named for the greatest HS coach in Ohio history, not some NFL guy who has NO ties to Canton or mck.
Old 01-06-18, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is an unknown quantity at this point
NFL Stadium
NFL Rules apply to fans going to games there
High school teams also play there

Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN; 01-06-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICKING COUNTY FAN View Post
NFL Stadium owed by the NFL
Neither the Hall nor the stadium are owned by the NFL.
Old 01-06-18, 02:13 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
Neither the Hall nor the stadium are owned by the NFL.
Oh my naive friend. If you fund it, you own it. Officially or not. LOL.
Old 01-06-18, 02:46 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Named for the greatest HS coach in Ohio history, not some NFL guy
Paul Brown is not considered an "NFL guy"?
Old 01-06-18, 02:48 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
Just as we should have saved your denial initially.
What does this have to do with the topic?
#triggered #clickbait
Old 01-06-18, 02:51 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Except it’s not a HS stadium !
According to the OHSAA it was THE place for HS football this post season.
Old 01-06-18, 02:52 PM
All District

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
He wasn’t, without Paul Brown and Massillon there wouldn’t be the NFL.

We are the greatest. #WeNeedUrTransfers
Old 01-06-18, 03:37 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
my2sense:

This is not a Canton vs. Massillon thing. The entire county: Canton, Massillon, Jackson, Perry, etc. would all benefit massively from the project being completed and successful. So I do hope that it goes through. The NFL Draft, the Stagg Bowl -- I'm excited for that and think it would be great. Stark County badly needs an economic boost. This has nothing to do with Welty Construction, who I'm sure are honest partners, nor does it have anything to do with Mr. Baker or any of the other people involved.

My concern lies solely with Mr. Lichter and Industrial Realty Group. At the end of the day, they are the ones running the show. There is no project without them. There is sign after sign of IRG being a bad actor. I'm asking seriously... looking at IRG's track record nationally and even just 10 minutes up the road in North Canton, there are grave concerns about their ability to complete the project. They have never attempted anything even close to this magnitude. Liens are certainly common in a project like this, yes. "Common" is not a synonym for "good". Especially when the company involved has an open civil fraud case AND is under investigation by the State of Louisiana.

The people in Stark County deserve honest inquiry about and investigation into this project from the Repository, not a PR statement from the Editorial Board.
Old 01-06-18, 04:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ignorant. The fact that he was 80-8-2 with 6 state championships in 9 years as Coach of the Tigers is the reason the stadium is named for him.
What was Bensons record as coach of mck ? Maybe a superintendent ? A big fan ? ANYTHING AT ALL ????
Old 01-06-18, 05:01 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
its whatever

Last edited by Football 101; 01-08-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 05:05 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
if it wasnt for interstate 77 the pro football hall of fame would be in latrobe pa.there.now all stark county can band together and give me incorrect history lesson.
Old 01-06-18, 05:08 PM
Moderated User

sam the butcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What does this have to do with the topic?
#triggered #clickbait
Um....the topic is currently the unpaid bills and work stoppage at the HOF....you initially denied the legitimacy of it all, even closed a thread when proof was provided.

THAT is what it has to do with it. Stop playing stupid. You ARE playing, right?
Old 01-06-18, 05:34 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
if it wasnt for interstate 77 the pro football hall of fame would be in latrobe pa.there.now all stark county can band together and give me incorrect history lesson.
Hey,didn't I see you at the Ground Breaking ceremony...BAM!
Old 01-06-18, 05:50 PM
All District

Mr.wrsln2 is on a distinguished road
raymo..maybe.if it was in like 1982.
Old 01-06-18, 08:29 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
He wasn’t, without Paul Brown and Massillon there wouldn’t be the NFL.

We are the greatest. #WeNeedUrTransfers
You are the perfect representative for Massillon.com.
Old 01-07-18, 08:24 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
He wasn’t, without Paul Brown and Massillon there wouldn’t be the NFL. We are the greatest. #WeNeedUrTransfers
Oh good, a new Massillon poster
Old 01-07-18, 08:37 AM
All American

Jax03 - The Rep ran a front page above-the-fold story listing by name those who are owed and how much each is owed. How much more info you think you need or why is irrelevant. Not sure in the real world what you think the current dwindling newspaper with minimal resources should be doing.

Hopefully your interest in intellectual honesty extends to why this project has been criticized on Yappi from day one, and which posters have been the most prolific naysayers, and what their motives might be. We have gone from "It will never happen" to "They will never play a game there in 2017" to "It costs more than they said it would" to "It's not really McK's field" to on and on. Meanwhile, this massive project which is still in its initial stages has successfully hosted concerts, the HOF induction, the HOF game, a season of HS football and the OHSAA state championships. Yet the desire for many from some communities (including yours) is to focus on any negatives, real or perceived.

Why wouldn't a fair-minded, rational "adult" want the city of Canton and the Stark County community-at-large to benefit from this project's success? I don't know the answer for sure, but the possible answers are troubling.

In any case, you are on record as saying you don't think it will be completed so time will tell.
Old 01-07-18, 09:56 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Oh good, a new Massillon poster
Don't worry, he's one of you.
Old 01-07-18, 10:05 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Jax03 -

Hopefully your interest in intellectual honesty extends to why this project has been criticized on Yappi from day one, and which posters have been the most prolific naysayers, and what their motives might be. We have gone from "It will never happen" to "They will never play a game there in 2017" to "It costs more than they said it would" to "It's not really McK's field" to on and on. Meanwhile, this massive project which is still in its initial stages has successfully hosted concerts, the HOF induction, the HOF game, a season of HS football and the OHSAA state championships. Yet the desire for many from some communities (including yours) is to focus on any negatives, real or perceived.
Isn't it frustrating when someone is constantly negative? Lol.
Old 01-07-18, 06:19 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jax03 - The Rep ran a front page above-the-fold story listing by name those who are owed and how much each is owed. How much more info you think you need or why is irrelevant. Not sure in the real world what you think the current dwindling newspaper with minimal resources should be doing.
Fair enough. The Rep is not blind to the situation, I agree. But what makes little sense to me is a bevy of articles like "IRG: Record of Success" (paraphrasing) when that is obviously a sketchy interpretation of history. A simple Google search will flash multiple warning signs at you. I think newspapers in general act too much like business publications rather than papers of record or community institutions. It is what it is, and probably a discussion outside the scope of this thread.

Quote:
Of course there are people on here who want it to fail because they have a childish mindset. If you can't handle that Benson outshines PBTS, then you should never go to a HS football game again, period.

But the idea that people from Jackson (or other Stark Cty communities) want the project to fail is ludicrous. All I hear from people is that it will bring jobs, revitalize the whole area, actually give us something to do, etc. The overwhelming sentiment about the project is massively positive.

Quote:
Why wouldn't a fair-minded, rational "adult" want the city of Canton and the Stark County community-at-large to benefit from this project's success? I don't know the answer for sure, but the possible answers are troubling.
There are also plenty of non-troubling answers. The Village as tourist attraction/destination may not be viable in an area with such cold weather. Perhaps we focus too much on football here already. There are concerns over the quality of jobs a project like this will bring in (bartender, waiter/waitress, hotel attendant, etc) -- i.e. near minimum wage. It may increase traffic and crime. We may be oversaturated with retail/restaurants and can't support it. Maybe the idea of a retirement home for ex-NFL players is pie in the sky and not realistic, or even disturbing given CTE-related issues. Maybe the whole village is tacky. Maybe people liked the aesthetics of Fawcett Stadium better than Benson. Maybe the demolition of the neighborhood surrounding the HOF was unsettling to some, as there were at least a couple residents who wanted to stay. Previous Canton/McK posters have expressed concern over the impact on CCS and student athletes. Perhaps the EB-5 visa investment process that IRG uses does not comport with one's politics or presents a moral hazard. Perhaps you live in North Canton and are concerned that the same developer is five years behind schedule on another promised project, and now in court over it.

These are not necessarily ideas that I agree with, but if you want more reasonable reasons why people might not be onboard with the project, I could keep going.

Quote:
In any case, you are on record as saying you don't think it will be completed so time will tell.
That is false. I said it is time to call into question whether or not it will be completed. I stand by that statement. But just so it doesn't sound like I'm equivocating -- yeah, I think there are serious concerns over the project's viability, taking into consideration both the business practices of the developer and the ultimate ability of the Village to turn a profit. The cash flow problems are, to me, perhaps an indicator that investors might agree with those two statements.

As you said previously Benson has already been a success. Congratulations. I didn't want Fawcett to go because I felt it had historical value, but there's no denying that Benson is beautiful. Even so, this initial success doesn't alleviate concerns over the developer and the progress of the wider Hall of Fame Village project.
Old 01-07-18, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the butcher View Post
You are the perfect representative for Massillon.com.
Exactly right ! A hypocrite who knows NOTHING about the Tigers.
Old 01-08-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wrsln2 View Post
I-77 had little to do with it.

Latrobe had no plan.

Canton had a plan, plus the city gave the HOF the land it sits on, it was part of Stadium Park. Not to mention pledges for nearly $400K for construction.

And an 'open letter' published in several newspapers from Paul Brown, supporting the establishment of the HOF in Canton.

PS: The College Football HOF; original planned site was at Rutgers University,
but built (late '70s) off I-71 near Kings Mills, OH and eventually moved to
South Bend (near Notre Dame) in 1995, It is now (since 2014) in Atlanta, GA.

:>---

SALT
Old 01-08-18, 01:15 PM
All American

Jaxo3 - thanks for thoughtful response. Agreed on most all points. If one has a built-in bias that they are unwilling to look at then nothing will change that attitude.

The stadium is but one piece of the whole plan. Agreed that many of the jobs may be close to minimum, but most "Help Wanted" I see in the area are part time sub $10/hr so I don't know if its fair to expect more?

My apology for misrepresenting your stance. I hope it works out too. For too long in this area there has been lots of talk but little action. And there have been many promises yet to be realized in the former Hoover property development.

I guess in a relatively depressed climate that something is better than nothing. Hopefully things will be completed in a timely manner and many will benefit.
Old 01-08-18, 04:50 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Since this has somewhat turned into a Massillon thread rather than one about the Hall of Fame Village, with Massillon's only hospital closing in a month or two will Massillon residents' newborn boys be given a Massillon football being born in Canton at either Aultman Hospital or Mercy Medical Center.

Old 01-08-18, 04:55 PM
All World

Sigh. Really?
Old 01-08-18, 05:01 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Sigh. Really?
It was said in jest to illustrate just how ridiculous and irrelevant some of the posts on this thread have been.

Does everyone in Massillon really have such napoleonic complex when it comes to anything Canton?
Old 01-08-18, 05:46 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Since this has somewhat turned into a Massillon thread rather than one about the Hall of Fame Village, with Massillon's only hospital closing in a month or two will Massillon residents' newborn boys be given a Massillon football being born in Canton at either Aultman Hospital or Mercy Medical Center.

The way the rivalry has been trending it's very plausible that CANTON born boys will soon be getting Tiger footballs in their cribs.
Old 01-08-18, 06:28 PM
All World

Quote:
It was said in jest to illustrate just how ridiculous and irrelevant some of the posts on this thread have been.

Does everyone in Massillon really have such napoleonic complex when it comes to anything Canton?
Everyone? No. Some? Obviously. Although I think it's exacerbated on here because of all the attacks on anything Massillon by a few. You can try to ignore but sometimes it's even tough for me. On a more serious side, it's quite a shame about Affinity and I hope they can work something out.
Old 01-08-18, 06:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

You can get a Massillon football no matter where you are born. It’s been that way for years now.