Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-11-19, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Imagine turning Brown and Bell into a 3rd, a 5th, a comp pick and $21m in dead cap in favor of keeping a 37 year old QB.
He has no excuses now. They got rid of all of the malcontents. Fat Boy's either going to have to step up big or the magnifying glass will be specifically on him. And I'm LOVING every minute of this. Couldn't have happened to a better fan base.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-19, 09:19 AM
All World

Bballer05
not sure how i feel on all of this. i obviously would want Brown to remain a Steeler as long as he's performing at the level he has been. people talk about his age, 31, like it's a detriment, but he's got at least 3-4 good years left in him. maybe more.

he won't replicate his stats in Oakland unless a couple things happen(his stats with and without Ben speak for themselves): 1. Derek Carr throws it to him 27 times a game or 2. they get a new QB who is actually slightly better than average.

how AB played the system is a testament to the kind of person he is but also a testament to the NFL system and how it's somewhat broken. only a mega-star could get away with doing what he did and actually come out with a raise, more guaranteed money, etc. the Steelers are partly to blame in not reigning in his behavior earlier on when they saw signs of this kind of stuff. but he was one of the highest paid WR's in the game and he acted like a spoiled selfish unprofessional baby. pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-11-19, 09:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer05 View Post
not sure how i feel on all of this. i obviously would want Brown to remain a Steeler as long as he's performing at the level he has been. people talk about his age, 31, like it's a detriment, but he's got at least 3-4 good years left in him. maybe more.

he won't replicate his stats in Oakland unless a couple things happen(his stats with and without Ben speak for themselves): 1. Derek Carr throws it to him 27 times a game or 2. they get a new QB who is actually slightly better than average.

how AB played the system is a testament to the kind of person he is but also a testament to the NFL system and how it's somewhat broken. only a mega-star could get away with doing what he did and actually come out with a raise, more guaranteed money, etc. the Steelers are partly to blame in not reigning in his behavior earlier on when they saw signs of this kind of stuff. but he was one of the highest paid WR's in the game and he acted like a spoiled selfish unprofessional baby. pretty ridiculous.
He won't replicate those numbers, at all. Oakland doesn't have a "Robin" (see JuJu) to go with his Batman so AB's going to garner a lot of attention in coverage. He'll get his $ but that "I want to win too" crap was that, crap. It was money driven, completely.

As far as how AB played the system, he did come off like a diva b!tch toward the end, screwing his team over in the playoffs, etc but he is likely only the start of how things will go, going forward.

Frankly, what he did is how most contracts should be. Kirk Cousins showed this last year with a 3 year/$87m fully guaranteed deal. I think we are going to see a lot more shorter term contracts (see 3 year/$54m) versus all of the unguaranteed fluff on the backend (5 years/105m with 54 guaranteed).

A lot of the Steeler fans give Roethlisberger a "pass" for all of this BS in the organization when he's the root cause of most of it, it seems. Tomlin's just the enabler.
Old 03-11-19, 10:32 AM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
He won't replicate those numbers, at all. Oakland doesn't have a "Robin" (see JuJu) to go with his Batman so AB's going to garner a lot of attention in coverage. He'll get his $ but that "I want to win too" crap was that, crap. It was money driven, completely.

As far as how AB played the system, he did come off like a diva b!tch toward the end, screwing his team over in the playoffs, etc but he is likely only the start of how things will go, going forward.

Frankly, what he did is how most contracts should be. Kirk Cousins showed this last year with a 3 year/$87m fully guaranteed deal. I think we are going to see a lot more shorter term contracts (see 3 year/$54m) versus all of the unguaranteed fluff on the backend (5 years/105m with 54 guaranteed).

A lot of the Steeler fans give Roethlisberger a "pass" for all of this BS in the organization when he's the root cause of most of it, it seems. Tomlin's just the enabler.
this is the most laughable part of it all. Ben is far from the problem in this. Tomlin enabled the behavior from the beginning and so did the organization itself - Rooney should have stepped in awhile back and told Tomlin to get this s#$% settled and toned down. neither of them did.

Ben has ZERO blame in this at all. AB actions are all on HIM and his choices. he CHOSE to act this way. mostly for selfish reasons.
Old 03-11-19, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
this is the most laughable part of it all. Ben is far from the problem in this. Tomlin enabled the behavior from the beginning and so did the organization itself - Rooney should have stepped in awhile back and told Tomlin to get this s#$% settled and toned down. neither of them did.

Ben has ZERO blame in this at all. AB actions are all on HIM and his choices. he CHOSE to act this way. mostly for selfish reasons.
I'm not talking about the AB situation as much as the overall situation. Roethlisberger might be a very good QB but he's a sh!tty teammate. He gets on a radio show every week and sees how he can throw his teammates under the bus. Sometimes he's straight forward and sometimes he's "Lebron James" (passive aggressive)
Old 03-11-19, 11:50 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not talking about the AB situation as much as the overall situation. Roethlisberger might be a very good QB but he's a sh!tty teammate. He gets on a radio show every week and sees how he can throw his teammates under the bus. Sometimes he's straight forward and sometimes he's "Lebron James" (passive aggressive)
Curious do you listen to that radio show? I know many in Pitt who do and say he's just be straightforward but some of his mates are so thinned skinned they can't take it. Its pretty obvious that AB doesn't like any criticism. I doubt very much he tries to throw his teammates under the bus. What in the world would be the upside of that?
Old 03-11-19, 12:14 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Curious do you listen to that radio show? I know many in Pitt who do and say he's just be straightforward but some of his mates are so thinned skinned they can't take it. Its pretty obvious that AB doesn't like any criticism. I doubt very much he tries to throw his teammates under the bus. What in the world would be the upside of that?
i don't listen to the show but apparently he's done that a couple times. not necessarily placing blame but just saying how so and so needs to do this better or whatever.

he's earned the right to do that. what other people also don't hear is how often he has thrown HIMSELF under the bus. i've heard him say so many times after games "i've gotta play better. i missed a bunch of throws i wish i could have back. etc etc" he makes a few comments here and there and all the fans act like he's some selfish guy who only blames his teammates for losses. it's far from it.
Old 03-11-19, 01:46 PM
All World

Quote:
i don't listen to the show but apparently he's done that a couple times. not necessarily placing blame but just saying how so and so needs to do this better or whatever.

he's earned the right to do that. what other people also don't hear is how often he has thrown HIMSELF under the bus. i've heard him say so many times after games "i've gotta play better. i missed a bunch of throws i wish i could have back. etc etc" he makes a few comments here and there and all the fans act like he's some selfish guy who only blames his teammates for losses. it's far from it.
That's what I assumed. He wants to win. Sounds like he calls people out at practice to if they deserve it. Isn't that what AB got huffy about? Mis-ran a route? That what I'd want my QB to do. I guess I understand why a Browns fan might dislike BR 22-2 all time has to grate on you a bit.
Old 03-11-19, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
That's what I assumed. He wants to win. Sounds like he calls people out at practice to if they deserve it. Isn't that what AB got huffy about? Mis-ran a route? That what I'd want my QB to do. I guess I understand why a Browns fan might dislike BR 22-2 all time has to grate on you a bit.
Doesn't "grate" on me at all because you hillbillies are about to live in the Hell we've (Browns fans) lived in since 1999. Enjoy it.
Old 03-11-19, 02:43 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Wishful thinking. At worst they go 7-9, Tomlin gets canned, Ben retires, and they rebuild around one of the best Olines in the league.

Last edited by Crusaders; 03-11-19 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-11-19, 03:00 PM
All World

Quote:

Old 03-11-19, 03:04 PM
All World

Quote:
Doesn't "grate" on me at all because you hillbillies are about to live in the Hell we've (Browns fans) lived in since 1999. Enjoy it.
Of course it doesn't. I can tell by your response. Browns fans. Have a winning season before you get up in anyone's grill. lol
Old 03-11-19, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

People blaming Ben for this are being stupid. He has his problems but he's not at fault for AB being a crazy person or Bell being an idiot
Old 03-12-19, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
AB won this whole situation, and the steelers lost.
Old 03-12-19, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Wishful thinking. At worst they go 7-9, Tomlin gets canned, Ben retires, and they rebuild around one of the best Olines in the league.
I think THAT'S "wishful thinking." If you don't have a QB, you have nothing. You guys should remember the lean(er) Mark Malone, Bubby Brister & Kordell Stewart years. You might be able to tread water with a game manager but odds are you're hovering around .500 purgatory.
Old 03-12-19, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
AB won this whole situation, and the steelers lost.
BINGO ! I thought what AB did could be a new trend, going forward, but there are only a limited number of players in the league that could pull that off. And I love John Clayton, the Pittsburgh apologist, talking about how none of the AB situation was the Steelers fault...LOL
Old 03-12-19, 07:49 AM
All World

Bballer05
Ben has at least 2 good years left in him. still playing at pretty high level.

Steelers will find their QB of the future in the next 2-3 years.

Steelers will be fine when Ben decides to hang it up.
Old 03-12-19, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ben has at least 2 good years left in him. still playing at pretty high level.

Steelers will find their QB of the future in the next 2-3 years.

Steelers will be fine when Ben decides to hang it up.
Keep clicking your heels together, you'll get back to Kansas, Dorothy (again wishful thinking and the typical arrogance of a Steeler fan, assuming the status quo will always be that way).

Finding a franchise QB is easier said than done. Pittsburgh lucked into Roethlisberger.

Under your assumption (they find one), Roethlisberger's going to have to fall off a cliff (skill-wise) and they are going to have to suck/draft top 10.
Old 03-12-19, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
BINGO ! I thought what AB did could be a new trend, going forward, but there are only a limited number of players in the league that could pull that off. And I love John Clayton, the Pittsburgh apologist, talking about how none of the AB situation was the Steelers fault...LOL
87% Brown, 13% Steelers at fault.

WITh them only getting a 3/5 for it, I place 98% of it on AB. When the steelers came out after the season in stating they find it hard to believe they will keep him on the roster for next year, and then placing a deadline on that Friday really made teams lowball them.

Did it ever come out what the bills were offering when AB said he wouldn't attend so they backed out?

I think this is a dangerous trend in the NFL.

AB is a train wreck. From his interview where he tried to give a story as to why he didn't play in week 17 to all his other antics I wonder if he is right in the head.
Old 03-12-19, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
87% Brown, 13% Steelers at fault.

WITh them only getting a 3/5 for it, I place 98% of it on AB. When the steelers came out after the season in stating they find it hard to believe they will keep him on the roster for next year, and then placing a deadline on that Friday really made teams lowball them.

Did it ever come out what the bills were offering when AB said he wouldn't attend so they backed out?

I think this is a dangerous trend in the NFL.

AB is a train wreck. From his interview where he tried to give a story as to why he didn't play in week 17 to all his other antics I wonder if he is right in the head.
I'm not going to deny that AB was a total head case to get his way, at the end, but Tomlin has allowed this type attitude to fester within that organization. The fact that the Steeler organization allows Tomlin to do this puts blame on them too.
Old 03-12-19, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

What you permit, you endorse so yes, I wholeheartedly concur that all of this could have been prevented, and likely at least one more SB win, if MT had been more of a disciplinarian over the years.
Old 03-12-19, 11:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think THAT'S "wishful thinking." If you don't have a QB, you have nothing. You guys should remember the lean(er) Mark Malone, Bubby Brister & Kordell Stewart years. You might be able to tread water with a game manager but odds are you're hovering around .500 purgatory.
Sure, the later Noll years were not good. Too much loyalty to the old guard. Not drafting Dan Marino was a big mistake. But they went to 4 AFC championship games and a Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart. Not exactly ".500 purgatory."

Point being, the Steelers will likely have opportunities to continue winning, they just have to make the right moves. First move should be getting a new HC.
Old 03-12-19, 01:16 PM
All World

Classy move by the Steelers. Shazier added to the 2019 unable to perform list. Salary commensurate with a player with his years of service.

https://triblive.com/sports/ryan-sha...elers-in-2019/
Old 03-12-19, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Wow that is very respectable.
Old 03-12-19, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

Nice. The less Artie Burns the better.

Old 03-12-19, 10:09 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Huge cap hit; wanted new contract heavily skewed towards guaranteed money; huge locker room cancer. Yeah, teams were lining up to give away their first round picks.
Oakland has 3 1st rounders this year...Gruden is desperate...how do you settle for a 3 and 5 in a trade involving one of if not the best WR in the game? They got fleeced hard.
Old 03-12-19, 10:15 PM
All Yappi

Not sure what else you can expect for AB. He tanked his value and would have been a distraction the whole season.
Old 03-13-19, 06:33 AM
All Yappi

Yeah, I think Pittsburgh got the best they could in that situation. If AB doesn't flip out, Pittsburgh has some leverage and gets a better deal. They were pretty much backed into a hole but they are partially to blame for allowing that culture to fester.
Old 03-13-19, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Nice to see that Le'Veon essentially wasted a year of his career. Here's hoping he lost a step.
Old 03-13-19, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

yeah, apparently the steelers last offer was for nearly 70 million that he turned down and then also not playing for the 14 mill last year.

Although the steelers lost a big time offensive threat, they at least "won" the whole money issue with LB but did lose in the AB situation.