Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-07-17, 04:15 PM
Varsity

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Noisemakers

For all the refs and site managers out there....

What are the rules and ethical considerations for horns during high school games? At a recent game a fan was blowing a very loud horn just before every free kick for the visiting team. I'm interested to hear what the site manager's role should be, if any, in this situation.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

phatneff is on a distinguished road
I think, and I could be wrong, that the only two things you can't have are air horns and whistles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-17, 06:45 PM
All Region

MJ_SoccerRef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatneff View Post
I think, and I could be wrong, that the only two things you can't have are air horns and whistles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
From the Tournament Regulations......

"D. Noisemakers
1. Noisemakers are permitted provided they do not interfere with the game as determined by the site manager or officials. This includes but is not limited to school bands, drums and Vuvuzelas

2.Air Horns/noisemaker prohibited
Air horns and noisemakers that required electric or alternate sources of power are not permitted in the facility.”

Though whistles are not specially mentioned, common sense would dictate they would also be prohibited. The issue with air horns centers on the fact that at Regional & State games, the 4th (and 5th Official if benches are ‘split’) may use an air horn to signal when subs are at the Half Way Line.
Old 10-07-17, 08:36 PM
Varsity

soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_SoccerRef View Post
From the Tournament Regulations......

"D. Noisemakers
1. Noisemakers are permitted provided they do not interfere with the game as determined by the site manager or officials. This includes but is not limited to school bands, drums and Vuvuzelas

2.Air Horns/noisemaker prohibited
Air horns and noisemakers that required electric or alternate sources of power are not permitted in the facility.”

Though whistles are not specially mentioned, common sense would dictate they would also be prohibited. The issue with air horns centers on the fact that at Regional & State games, the 4th (and 5th Official if benches are ‘split’) may use an air horn to signal when subs are at the Half Way Line.
Thanks MJ. I did not see that second sentence in rule 1 before. I guess the key is the phrase "as determined by the site manager", since I have seen Vuvuzelas banned in other games. I guess the next time we play that team I will bring my Vuvuzela and sit right behind the bench and blow it the entire game!
Old 10-07-17, 09:50 PM
All Region

MJ_SoccerRef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post
Thanks MJ. I did not see that second sentence in rule 1 before. I guess the key is the phrase "as determined by the site manager", since I have seen Vuvuzelas banned in other games. I guess the next time we play that team I will bring my Vuvuzela and sit right behind the bench and blow it the entire game!
You’re welcome. Remember, this is from the Tournament Regulations, for the Playoffs. Regular season game......might really fall on what the Site Manager and/or Referee might permit. About 8-10 years ago, I encountered a first year HC that invited the entire percussion section from the HS band to his home games......it was deafening. BOTH HCs and their players had problems communicating with one another. Then in the 2nd half, they tried to re-position so as to be closer to the opposing Keeper, as they had been in the 1st half......uh, NO! I made them go back to where they were.......and the AD & I had a ‘chat’ after the game. Let’s just say ‘modifications were made’.......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: