Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-28-17, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Rules Question????

when a team has a free kick: a) does defense have to give 10 if they don't ask, and b) if they don't ask for 10 and the defense moves closer to the kick, does that warrant a yellow card?

happened in game yesterday. nearing end of game, team A losing 1-0, team B awarded a free kick. team B was taking their time, and player from team A who started at least 10 yards away, said to kick the ball and walked a couple steps to the girl kicking the ball. ref stopped the game and gave player from team A a yellow card.

just looking for some clarification for my sanity.

thanks!

jtk
()
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 10:25 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
IFAB rules say nothing about a player having to ask for her 10 yards. A player is supposed to get 10 yards automatically. So, a good ref should recognize when 10 yards is not given, stop play, and mark off the distance. If the offensive player does a fast free kick, not allowing the defense time to move 10 yards away, that is OK. However, if a defensive player moves closer (within 10 yards), with the intent to delay/slow down play, the official is allowed to caution the player with a yellow card
Old 09-28-17, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i guess my next question is? can an offensive player intentionally delay kicking the ball to restart play? how long can an offensive team have to do a free kick?

the reason in my scenario above that the defensive player moved closer was because the offensive player wasn't kicking the ball. it had to be a good 10 seconds or so, and the girl kicking the ball was standing there behind the ball just looking out on the field.

jtk
()
Old 09-28-17, 01:13 PM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
i guess my next question is? can an offensive player intentionally delay kicking the ball to restart play? how long can an offensive team have to do a free kick?

the reason in my scenario above that the defensive player moved closer was because the offensive player wasn't kicking the ball. it had to be a good 10 seconds or so, and the girl kicking the ball was standing there behind the ball just looking out on the field.

jtk
()
There's no set "time," it just has to be in a timely manner. Referees usually look at consistency, especially if it comes in a "delaying the game" scenario.
Old 09-28-17, 09:44 PM
All Region

MJ_SoccerRef is on a distinguished road
There does not necessarily need to be a ‘ceremonial restart’ (on the Official’s whistle) with any Free kick......this allows the attacking team the option of a quick restart, before the defense can get organized, etc. When a quick restart IS utilized, the defenders must still make the effort to move towards the 10 yard distance, AND not try to any anyway interfere with the free kick (raise a leg to block it, jump into the ball’s path, etc.). To assure they get 10 years, the attackers, must request it to the official, who then should notify the players, “On my whistle”, etc. The exception, of course, to this is a Penalty Kick (which IS a ‘free kick); that’s a whole different animal......

With that.......here’s my own ‘match management’ in these situations. After I blow the whistle for a foul, I’ll immediately begin “encouraging” defenders anywhere near 10 from the ball to "keep moving away, 7”, etc. If a wall initially sets up at a ridiculous distance.....say 4-5 yards from the ball placement for the FK.......as happened in my HS match tonight.......they then might themselves a solid 12-13 yards from the ball, along being notified that a repeat performance will find them at 15 yards. “10 Yards” from a free kick is the MINIMUM distance, not the ‘exact' or ‘maximum’ distance. Walls that are set at obviously less than 10 yards are ‘Gamesmanship', indirectly delaying the restart by forcing their being moved to 10. Of course, another exception......Free Kicks by the attacking team on their opponents 6 of the Goal Area, IWC the ‘wall’ would be directly ON the goal line.

Defenders that run to the spot of the foul, after the spot of the FK is indicated, will automatically get Cautioned for ‘Delaying a Restart’; no excuse for this behavior, as will defenders that kick the ball away from the spot of the foul, AND members of the wall that sprint towards the ball after the whistle is sounded, but before the ball is restarted.

With regard to the amount of time getting the ball restarted with a free kick.......for me, it’s the same as with subs, taking throw-ins, goal kicks, corners etc.: observe how a team manages these through out the game, how timely they, etc. Is there 1-2 specific players they use for corners, for example.....and if that player is a defender, understand it’ll take a few seconds longer. IOW, understand their plan, their 'patterns of play’, etc. If they are lolly-gagging with any of these along the way, I encourage them to ‘move in a more timely fashion’. If they get slower, late the game when they’re ahead by 1 goal......the clock just might be stopping, the Captains informed “I see what you’re doing here!”, etc.

JTK....I hope this helps some......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: