Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-18-17, 02:18 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Development Academy Updates in Cincinnati

The girls finally kicked off their inaugural season this past weekend, going 2-1-1 with their 4 teams. The boys are 3 weeks in and are 3-2-3 (12U scores aren't made public). What are people thoughts so far? Do we like the structure and format of the new girls DA in general? How do we think Cincinnati fits in with it. Has anyone been to any games? How do the boys look in what is essentially the DA juniors program? Has anyone seen the 12U kids play? Does it look like joining the DA will end up being a net positive for the CUP boys program? Same question for girls CUP and KHA, or is it too early to tell?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 02:44 PM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
The girls finally kicked off their inaugural season this past weekend, going 2-1-1 with their 4 teams. The boys are 3 weeks in and are 3-2-3 (12U scores aren't made public). What are people thoughts so far? Do we like the structure and format of the new girls DA in general? How do we think Cincinnati fits in with it. Has anyone been to any games? How do the boys look in what is essentially the DA juniors program? Has anyone seen the 12U kids play? Does it look like joining the DA will end up being a net positive for the CUP boys program? Same question for girls CUP and KHA, or is it too early to tell?
I followed bits of a couple of games on line. I thought both sides were playing quality soccer.
Old 09-20-17, 11:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
I followed bits of a couple of games on line. I thought both sides were playing quality soccer.
Are they streaming the girls games online? I guess some clubs do it. I was in Chicago last weekend and the Sockers were streaming their games, but you had to pay like 8 bucks for it. Forget that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-17, 08:26 AM
All Region

werns63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan73 View Post
I mean, it is the DA, I would hope they are playing quality soccer
Old 09-21-17, 09:05 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are they streaming the girls games online? I guess some clubs do it. I was in Chicago last weekend and the Sockers were streaming their games, but you had to pay like 8 bucks for it. Forget that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
It was on their Facebook page. There's a game posted. It's not the Cinci DA, it was Sky Blue PDA vs Viriginia FC
Old 09-21-17, 12:27 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Went to the u15 game. Both teams looked solid. Seems like some great opportunities in future years as more kids forgo HS to play for the DA. CUP and KHA have some serious talent at the 05 and 06 (girls) level which will be the next wave of DA kids.
Old 09-21-17, 01:52 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthekeeper View Post
Went to the u15 game. Both teams looked solid. Seems like some great opportunities in future years as more kids forgo HS to play for the DA. CUP and KHA have some serious talent at the 05 and 06 (girls) level which will be the next wave of DA kids.
Old 09-21-17, 06:36 PM
All District

2731 is on a distinguished road
It's evolution baby
Old 09-21-17, 11:06 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
It is never going to completely destroy or even make a significant dent in high school soccer, so I see nothing wrong with its existence. The amount of kids it will pluck away from high school is so minor, why care if it's an option out there for kids willing and wanting to take it?

While it won't impact high school soccer in a significant way, here is what you can't deny. It WILL impact the players that choose it. The level of training and regular competition in training and games will far surpass anything a player will get with their high school team (barriing a handfull or two of schools across the country that could offer something equal). So with that, any kids choosing that road will help their game tremendously going forward.

Now if the advent of the DA was going to mean the demise of high school soccer, then I think a healthy debate on whether we should be allowing it to be implemented should be had. The boys DA program has shown that high school soccer in America will not skip a beat.
Old 09-22-17, 07:14 AM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll agree with that. Sorta. The 3 best 05's in the city are split between the big 3 clubs right now. The hammer girl KC is probably the best of the 3 by a slim margin and shes a lock to play DA. The CUP girl KC, I believe wants to play high school and the OE girl SE, I just heard yesterday from another CUP parent is playing up on the 04 ECNL and it would be hard for me to see her go anywhere. A bunch of the other 05 CUP kids are likely interested in high school ball as well when the time comes. I'll be interested to see what Wamplers little sister who's an 05 at hammer does. The 04 DA already has 1 05 girl already. As upset as many parents are at CUP I can see some defections even next year before high school is involved for most of those 05's. And we already know what's happened to the older ages when the choice to play DA Or ECNL has been presented
Old 09-22-17, 07:52 AM
All American

Quote:
It is never going to completely destroy or even make a significant dent in high school soccer, so I see nothing wrong with its existence. The amount of kids it will pluck away from high school is so minor, why care if it's an option out there for kids willing and wanting to take it?

While it won't impact high school soccer in a significant way, here is what you can't deny. It WILL impact the players that choose it. The level of training and regular competition in training and games will far surpass anything a player will get with their high school team (barriing a handfull or two of schools across the country that could offer something equal). So with that, any kids choosing that road will help their game tremendously going forward.

Now if the advent of the DA was going to mean the demise of high school soccer, then I think a healthy debate on whether we should be allowing it to be implemented should be had. The boys DA program has shown that high school soccer in America will not skip a beat.
Philly, I mostly agree with what you say. The "rolling eye" emoticon was primarily because fearthekeeper's quote, "Seems like some great opportunities in future years as more kids forgo HS to play for the DA" rubbed me the wrong way. A gained opportunity (better training, better competition, perceived exposure that may be better, an opportunity at the national level) will come while also losing an opportunity to play high school soccer. I don't, though, agree with your statement of "kids choosing that road will help their game tremendously going forward." I think that some kids will benefit tremendously but others not so much. There may be a negligible difference that for most will not be worth it.

I've been an advocate that a player should do what they feel is the best for them. I still am. I will not argue that the GDA will offer better training and competition when compared to high school soccer. High school soccer is not supposed to supplant high level club soccer. That has never been its purpose. I feel that the jury is still out on the GDA. It's a work in progress. It has its place in the plethora of options. But to believe that it is a panacea for any perceived problems with women's soccer in this country is misguided.
Old 09-22-17, 10:23 AM
Freshman

yapster2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Are we really talking about 05’s and 06's??????????? Come on People these are 11 and 12 year old girls who know more about doll babies than they know about soccer. How many years do we have to hear about the next Mia Ham at 11 or 12 only to find out that she was higher on the puberty curve? If my memory serves me correct the 01/02 cup teams NEVER lost a game by more than 2 goals since they were 7 years old. They ran through competition so bad that most of the time they were better served playing intersquad scrimmages for competition. Those same age groups just lost 6-1 in the first DA game this weekend. I am not taking shots at those girls at all and they still have the top two 02 kids in the city on that team. My point is PUMP the brakes talking about kids that can barely chew gum and walk. Give it a couple years and you will see that there are several players you have never heard of that have been working on the ball daily will end up being the best. The 15U team has a couple talented kids DR has done an awesome job with that age. I wouldn’t be shocked to see one or two of those kids end up being the NEXT big thing to come out of the city.
Old 09-22-17, 11:11 AM
All Region

That's patronizing at best, but really ignorant in reality. Perhaps the DA and ECNL should reconsider making teams for those girls next year. I mean, they will probably be more concerned with dolls and other baby stuff.

Idiot.
Old 09-22-17, 01:53 PM
All World

I really think you're reaching when you start making predictions about 6th and 7th graders. At least wait until they are in high school. At 6th grade it's not even guaranteed they will still be playing the same sport come high school, let alone how great they will be. And I say that because if they are so awesome at soccer that you feel the need to single them out as a standout im the city, chances are they are just as good at at least one other sport if not more. Who's to to say one of the other sports doesn't end up being the one that they gravitate to as they get older. Best to just keep the evaluations to the high school level ages.
Old 09-22-17, 02:03 PM
All Region

I'd say that US soccer should not invite KC to Phoenix for national camp then. And the DA and ECNL should not have a U14 team. Colleges should not allow 13 year olds to ID camps. But they do. Perhaps they know something more than the people posting here but then again maybe everyone on here is an expert. I'd like to hope Both the USSF and ECNL have at least a little idea about the game. I've watched CUP's KD shred kids and soccer games for years. She's a baller in basketball too but that doesn't take anything away from that kids ability to dominate on the soccer field. Same with the Podojil girls. And many others.
Old 09-22-17, 03:54 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yapster2017 View Post
Are we really talking about 05’s and 06's??????????? Come on People these are 11 and 12 year old girls who know more about doll babies than they know about soccer. How many years do we have to hear about the next Mia Ham at 11 or 12 only to find out that she was higher on the puberty curve? If my memory serves me correct the 01/02 cup teams NEVER lost a game by more than 2 goals since they were 7 years old. They ran through competition so bad that most of the time they were better served playing intersquad scrimmages for competition. Those same age groups just lost 6-1 in the first DA game this weekend. I am not taking shots at those girls at all and they still have the top two 02 kids in the city on that team. My point is PUMP the brakes talking about kids that can barely chew gum and walk. Give it a couple years and you will see that there are several players you have never heard of that have been working on the ball daily will end up being the best. The 15U team has a couple talented kids DR has done an awesome job with that age. I wouldn’t be shocked to see one or two of those kids end up being the NEXT big thing to come out of the city.
Yes, we're really talking about 05 and 06's. Whether you want to face it or not, these are the next candidates for the DA. And if you think 11 and 12 year old highly competitive athletes are more focused on baby dolls than soccer, then you obviously have no clue.
Old 09-22-17, 04:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
I'd say that US soccer should not invite KC to Phoenix for national camp then. And the DA and ECNL should not have a U14 team. Colleges should not allow 13 year olds to ID camps. But they do. Perhaps they know something more than the people posting here but then again maybe everyone on here is an expert. I'd like to hope Both the USSF and ECNL have at least a little idea about the game. I've watched CUP's KD shred kids and soccer games for years. She's a baller in basketball too but that doesn't take anything away from that kids ability to dominate on the soccer field. Same with the Podojil girls. And many others.
You're missing my point, but that's ok.
Old 09-24-17, 07:34 AM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
so where do they play these games guessing at local soccer parks?
Old 09-24-17, 09:22 PM
All Ohio

Juan Pelota is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
games are held on the pristine pitch of mercy high school.
Old 09-24-17, 11:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Pelota View Post
games are held on the pristine pitch of mercy high school.
The girls just played this weekend's games at Walnut Hills. I didn't watch any. I just know from the emails sent out.
Old 09-25-17, 12:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusCrunch View Post
From all that I've read on the US DA's website it looks like a club has to show a certain level of facilities owned or have access to in order to be considered for membership.
Old 09-25-17, 08:22 AM
Junior Varsity

lovesallsports is on a distinguished road
The games are all at Walnut Hills High School or Withrow. I just watched a game this weekend and the set up is top notch. Every game is videoed and broken down for the players who then receive it on an app on their phones. Coolers of Powerade and water are available along with a Beacon trainer at each event. A US Soccer technical director has already attended one of the days. It was actually a very cool environment. It is not High school soccer but for the girls that want to continue to be challenged it is a great option.
Old 09-25-17, 08:26 AM
All Region

werns63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesallsports View Post
The games are all at Walnut Hills High School or Withrow. I just watched a game this weekend and the set up is top notch. Every game is videoed and broken down for the players who then receive it on an app on their phones. Coolers of Powerade and water are available along with a Beacon trainer at each event. A US Soccer technical director has already attended one of the days. It was actually a very cool environment. It is not High school soccer but for the girls that want to continue to be challenged it is a great option.
Ohhhh.. Powerade? Yeah, my daughter definitely won't be able to go to the DA then. Gatorade only!

Looks like the CDA is doing well thus far. Good to see. Not surprised, as the talent pool is strong in Cincy.
Old 09-25-17, 08:56 AM
Junior Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
Ha, Just noticed my kid mentioned above. Thanks for the kudos, I'll share with her your appreciation.

I do see both sides of the debate on 05 and 06's here. As the father of a fairly talented kid in that age group I agree that there are some very skilled and fun to watch kids across the city at 05. And with the inclusion of them to a DA or ECNL roster at tryouts in just 8-9 months, I don't believe it's too far out to look at and be excited to watch these girls play in those type of highly competitive settings.

Personally I believe Miss. Clark deserves to be invited to a national camp and get recognized for her play. She's a big, strong, very talented girl and has been for the last 4 years we've watched, and my daughter has played against her. Could that change? Perhaps. Though I hope not because she plays the game with a high level of passion, and I'd have to believe a lot of her success comes from hard work and dedication. I don't know the 05 girl playing in the DA right now. Though I know she's got to be good, because they picked her over a number of pretty talented 04's and 05's that tried out including Miss. Clark.

My own daughter is at OE on the ECNL and has been playing UP for 4 of the last 5 years as well as with Boys teams. She's not big, or tall, but she does play with a tremendous amount of heart, dedicates countless hours and gives it everything she has. She more than holds her own against kids in that league including the Internationals 04 girl recently invited to the National Camp that she marked. To say she's more worried about baby dolls and whatever else, and doesn't know soccer is so far from the truth it's not even worth going into it.

I do know that some additional great players will evolve and perhaps pass some of the current top players city wide. These girls playing in leagues like the ECNL and the DA with the level of talent they both play, and get coached by will give them an advantage. But boys, other interests and body evolution will undoubtedly effect some of the current younger players. Doesn't change the fact that they are pretty darn good now and unless something drastic happens they should be pretty good for the foreseeable future.

Good luck to the DA, not Samantha's desire but to each their own. My kids crazy happy at OE and playing in the ECNL. I hope all these girls find their club and or league niche to help them succeed.
Old 09-25-17, 08:58 AM
All World

Again, reading all they have on their website, they actually have specifications for how the waternsrarion must bebset up bybthe home team at every game. I've been to the boys games. Its a really cool atmosphere. Almost like being at a professional game. Something tjat hasbstood out to me that I thought was fun and cool waa the substitutions. Since you are limited with the amount of substitutions you can make, and once abplayer leaves they can't return, subbing is a sorta mini event. Players go off to claps and cheers from fans. Its got to be a cool experience for the kids.

And I'm not stupid. I know things like subs and water coolers are pretty unimportant to the real goal of top level soccer. But it's still cool.
Old 09-25-17, 09:04 AM
All World

Another thing I've noticed is the great officiating. The crew from the game I watched this weekend had headsets to communicate with each other. It made for a lot of quicker, better calls as well it got rid of a lot of wasted time where refs have to get together to talk over a calls and them go back to their spots.
Old 09-25-17, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
5x26 glad to hear your daughter is liking oe. ill hope to get out to a da game. surprised to hear they play at high school fields.
Old 09-25-17, 09:24 AM
Junior Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Again, reading all they have on their website, they actually have specifications for how the waternsrarion must bebset up bybthe home team at every game. I've been to the boys games. Its a really cool atmosphere. Almost like being at a professional game. Something tjat hasbstood out to me that I thought was fun and cool waa the substitutions. Since you are limited with the amount of substitutions you can make, and once abplayer leaves they can't return, subbing is a sorta mini event. Players go off to claps and cheers from fans. Its got to be a cool experience for the kids.

And I'm not stupid. I know things like subs and water coolers are pretty unimportant to the real goal of top level soccer. But it's still cool.
That's cool, The rest sounds very similar to the ECNL (gatorade vs Powerade however ) Tents, Fixed benches, FIFA sub rules, trainer, 4th referee etc...It does make for a much cooler experience for the kids and the subbing situation can get interesting with injurys.

I just got my DA ref cert finished, and a guy I work a lot of SL, MRL, NL, ECNL, and College games with did some DA last week and he appreciated the headsets. But I will say these refs are all refs you have seen if your daughters play in higher level games.

Last edited by 5x26; 09-25-17 at 11:31 AM..
Old 09-25-17, 02:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x26 View Post
That's cool, The rest sounds very similar to the ECNL (gatorade vs Powerade however ) Tents, Fixed benches, FIFA sub rules, trainer, 4th referee etc...It does make for a much cooler experience for the kids and the subbing situation can get interesting with injurys.

I just got my DA ref cert finished, and a guy I work a lot of SL, MRL, NL, ECNL, and College games with did some DA last week and he appreciated the headsets. But I will say these refs are all refs you have seen if your daughters play in higher level games.
I just have a boy that plays. He's an 05. I was wondering about where the refs come from. I noticed they wear US Soccer Federation patches.
Old 09-25-17, 07:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x26 View Post
....FIFA sub rules, trainer, 4th referee etc....
Unless the subbing rules changed in the ECNL, they're not the same as the Academy. My understanding is that once you're subbed out in the GDA, you're done for the match. ECNL rules are more analogous to MRL rules - if you're subbed out, you're done for the half and not the game.

GDA subbing rules are stupid. What percentage of the GDA players will be subjected to those rules after their GDA playing days are done? Probably less than 1/2 of 1%. The majority will be subjected to the NCAA subbing rules. What is the benefit of the GDA subbing rules? What is the GDA and, by default, the Cincinnati DA telling the players the benefit is?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: