Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-15-17, 07:14 AM
All District

Madmex64 is on a distinguished road
Ohio National Teams for VAC

Hello Ohio wrestling community! I am posting for the first time as the new Ohio National Team (ONT) director for the VAC duals held in VA Beach every December. I want to take the time to specifically thank the Evans and Ours families for all their hard work, dedication, and sacrifices that they have made over the last decade to ensure that the ONT always had a presence and reputation as being one of the most competitive and well-rounded dual teams that represented our great state all over the country, a huge and sincere thank you! I only look to build upon that solid foundation and try to take the ONTs to the next competitive level! With that said I am looking for accomplished elementary school wrestlers to fill the handful of open spots that remain for this year’s ONTs elementary teams (Scarlett and Grey). I traditionally encourage wrestlers of all skill levels to reach out and apply to be a member of any dual teams that I put together but as most of you know the VAC duals is considered to be the most elite and challenging dual event in the country! So in the name of competition and also putting our Ohio wrestlers in the best spot possible I am only asking for applications from the most skilled and accomplished Ohio wrestlers to attend this event. Time is of essence as I have to get team fees, hotels, and gear ordered within the next two weeks so if you want to apply and potentially join the lineup this year please contact me ASAP so we can meet all of our deadline obligations. Moving forward for next year, team invites and building will take place much early. I appreciate your understanding and flexibility on the late communications for this year’s event as my transition into this role was one that took time and caused some delay in our overall process but that won’t be an issue after this year. I look forward to keeping all the Ohio talent together in the future and truly building the best dual teams that our talent loaded state can offer! Here are the open weights that I am looking for to round out this year’s elementary teams (listed weight class already includes the +1 lb allowance, no 7th graders and must not be born before 2004):

46 lbs
51 lbs
101 lbs
106 lbs
111 lbs
141 lbs (x2)

Again, a sincere thank you to everybody who has made the ONT successful throughout the previous years and I look forward to putting Ohio back on top of the wrestling world moving forward!

Sincerely,
Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2833
mont3075@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 07:51 PM
Varsity

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Can you provide the lineup so far? Also, what was process for kids already selected? And to be clear, this isn't a question designed to start any drama. It would just be nice for everyone to know in case there are kids interested in the future. Thanks!
Old 09-15-17, 08:41 PM
Freshman

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Can you provide the lineup so far? Also, what was process for kids already selected? And to be clear, this isn't a question designed to start any drama. It would just be nice for everyone to know in case there are kids interested in the future. Thanks!
From what I know of the team so far, it seems to be heavily comprised of kids from the "power" clubs in the state. My guess is that is a result of a few different things...1) the team coming together relatively late; 2) many Ohio kids have already signed up with other teams; 3) many of the kids that wrestle in these clubs have either been on the team before or already have previous success in these national type duals.

That being said, I am in no way involved in the process and I have no real insight. Just a guess on my part, based on past experience. I do believe that Brandon has the best interest of Ohio wrestling in mind and will work hard to put the best team he can out there. Just my $.02.
Old 09-16-17, 06:51 AM
Varsity

Smoke Screen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You would think some sort of wrestle off plan would make sense, but that's not how its done.
Old 09-17-17, 02:58 PM
Freshman

Bayside is on a distinguished road
I talked to the guys that was doing the team before and this is what they told me.....In a perfect world wrestle offs make great sense...right up until you try and have them. You then run into the parents who don't want to travel to do them or there is a wedding or a tournament or any number of things that come up that makes it so they cannot attend. For those reasons they went with OAC placement and then national placements to start choosing kids. If a kid made a huge jump in the off season they would try and get them in if possible.
Old 09-17-17, 03:39 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside View Post
I talked to the guys that was doing the team before and this is what they told me.....In a perfect world wrestle offs make great sense...right up until you try and have them. You then run into the parents who don't want to travel to do them or there is a wedding or a tournament or any number of things that come up that makes it so they cannot attend. For those reasons they went with OAC placement and then national placements to start choosing kids. If a kid made a huge jump in the off season they would try and get them in if possible.
That seems reasonable. However, I only see these posts when they are down to the last few weight classes they need filled. Maybe in the future they can post well in advance for all slots and then choose from all the kids interested using this criteria.
Old 09-17-17, 03:57 PM
All District

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
Any word on the M.S. team ? I'm assuming that Madmex64 is running the elementary teams, is Evans still doing the M.S. teams ?
Old 09-17-17, 04:12 PM
Freshman

Quote:
That seems reasonable. However, I only see these posts when they are down to the last few weight classes they need filled. Maybe in the future they can post well in advance for all slots and then choose from all the kids interested using this criteria.
What weight is your kid?
Old 09-17-17, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

roughedge is on a distinguished road
They posted Ohio National team interest on yappi months ago.
Old 09-17-17, 09:08 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
What weight is your kid?
Not about me. It's not about my kid(s). I just offered a suggestion. Have a great day and good luck to the Ohio team!
Old 09-19-17, 09:05 AM
Varsity

icoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
They posted Ohio National team interest on yappi months ago.
When was that?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-17, 12:45 PM
All District

ONT Philosophies

Thank you everyone for the support. There were a few posts that I wanted to address on this thread as we move the ONT forward.

1) As much as I would like to, I will not provide the lineups in advance. From my own experiences, I know that everybody wants to see and analyze the selected lineups but I have found in my personal experiences of coaching dual teams at national events, that it gives other teams a leg up in regards of strategy in how they set their lineups. The old cliché of “information is power” is in full effect here. So, in order to put our Ohio studs in the best competitive spot possible, I will not be sharing the lineup to the pubic before VAC.

2) I have absolutely no other motivation for running this team other than to build the absolute best dual teams that the state of Ohio has to offer. My reputation around the state and country is one that is built off competition and work ethic. Yes, my son does compete on this team but he was asked to be a part of it the last two years based solely off his own merit. If there is another kid who is better, than the best kid will wrestle on the ONT, period!

3) It is true that wrestle offs would be the best scenario but as “Bayside” pointed out, they are a complete nightmare to facilitate. I have built many all-star dual teams prior to my role as the ONT director and I can tell you from first hand experience that wrestle-offs sound great in theory but almost never work out smoothly. Multiple factors make it very difficult to hold legit wrestle offs with kids coming from across the state, ranging from scheduling difficulties, missed wrestle-offs, questions about the referring, fair locations, results, and hard feelings afterwards.

4) With all that said about us not doing wrestle offs I do want to talk about the selection process. My theory is very simple. I will continue to be highly involved in both the grade school and Jr High OAC state tournaments (if anybody needs to see my level of commitment to the wrestlers involved in our state tournaments please go back and read any of my Madmex64 OAC state reports over the past five years). My starting point is the results of the previous year’s OAC state tournament. From there I look at the career OAC resume, as some guys might have just missed the podium on the young side but have been traditional high placers on the old side. After OAC, I look at national individual and dual results. There are practically no major duals or tournaments that I am not aware of or don’t have access to the results. Finally, I do look at Ohway results (if applicable) and on a rare occasion the head to head record between two wrestlers. Again, this selection process is not perfect but it has been very productive and efficient for me as the all-star teams I have built in the past have had great results in very challenging tournaments.

5) Because of the late transition that occurred this year with naming me new team director I had to lean a little more on some of my regular guys who have wrestled with me in the past as some of the hammers that I wanted already went out of state and signed up with heavy hitter teams (Cali gold, Jr Terps, Buxton, Scorpions, etc.). I totally understand why these guys made these decisions and there are no hard feelings; however, starting next year I will have everything in place and I will start sending out invites and working through the selection process by Memorial Day weekend of next year. I want everybody to read this sentence and hear me loud and clear, it is my absolute goal to lock down the in-state talent for the next few years and build the absolute best all-Ohio dual teams in both divisions for VAC and a few other major tournaments that we possibly can. I encourage all highly accomplished wrestlers to throw their names into the hat for next year as the best kids will be offered the open spots.

Thank you for taking the time to read some of my philosophies on this topic and I look forward to serving the Ohio wrestling community to the best of my ability. With that being said we still need stud Ohio guys to fill the remaining slots on this year’s ONTs for VAC:

46 lbs (Grey Team)
101 lbs (Grey Team)
106 lbs (Grey Team)
141 lbs (Scarlett Team)

Thank you for your time and support of the ONT!

Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2833
Mont3075@yahoo.com
Old 09-24-17, 07:40 PM
All District

Open weights

ONT still needs the following three weights filled for this years VAC duals:

51 lbs
106 lbs
141 lbs

Thanks in advance!

Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2833
Mont3075@yahoo.com
Old 09-27-17, 03:55 PM
All District

Weights Still Needed

Ttt
Old 09-28-17, 07:09 PM
Freshman

Forfeits kill you in these duals. If you have any interest at all, or know anyone who does, please apply.

Not gonna lie, the competition is tough. But even the wrestlers that don't have much success usually have a great time and definitely get better by going.
Old 09-28-17, 08:09 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
Forfeits kill you in these duals. If you have any interest at all, or know anyone who does, please apply.

Not gonna lie, the competition is tough. But even the wrestlers that don't have much success usually have a great time and definitely get better by going.
I will second this. We have gone to VB the last 2 years and only didn't do it prior to that was because I thought my son wasn't ready. In 6th and 7th grade combined he has gone 13-2 there. Should have went in 5th grade just to get the experience.
Old 10-02-17, 12:24 PM
All District

Needed Weights for VAC

Thank you for the support "jmog" and "lowcrotch"! It is true that VAC is very tough but no doubt anybody who wrestles in it walks away with a great opportunity to self-scout and find things that need to be fixed as the season unfolds. The ONT is still looking for these weights for this years VAC duals:

51 lbs
101 lbs
106 lbs
141 lbs

Please contact me if you or anybody you know has an interest in filling these open spots, thanks in advance!

Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2833
mont3075@yahoo.com

Last edited by Madmex64; 10-03-17 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Updated
Old 10-04-17, 08:34 AM
All District

Updated Weights Needed

A big thank you to our newest member of the ONT that filled our 106 lb slot. We need the following three weights filled for this years VAC duals:

51 lbs
101 lbs
141 lbs

Thank you in advance, O...H...I...O

Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2822
mont3075@yahoo.com
Old 10-06-17, 02:15 PM
All District

Updated weights

A big thank you to our newest member of the ONT that filled our 51 lb slot. We need the following two weights filled for this years VAC duals:

101 lbs
141 lbs

Thank you in advance, O...H...I...O

Brandon Montoya
ONT Director
513-373-2822
mont3075@yahoo.com
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-17, 10:48 AM
All District

WeightS Still Needed

ttt
Old 10-17-17, 11:15 AM
All District

Weights Still Needed

Ttt