Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-17, 09:41 AM
Futbol2017 Futbol2017 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-26-17
Posts: 41
Futbol2017 is on a distinguished road
Craftmans Award

And the award this week goes to Lakota West, 10-0 over Middletown.

Middletown Schedule
Sat. 19 Northmont L 7 - 1 0 - 1 - 0 (0 - 0 - 0)
Tue. 22 at Northwest T 5 - 5 0 - 1 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Thu. 24 Edgewood L 4 - 1 0 - 2 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Sat. 26 at Wayne L 4 - 3 0 - 3 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Thu. 31 at Talawanda L 5 - 0 0 - 4 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT RESULT RECORD
Thu. 7 Colerain T 1 - 1 0 - 4 - 2 (0 - 0 - 1)
Tue. 12 Sycamore L 9 - 1 0 - 5 - 2 (0 - 1 - 1)
Thu. 14 at Fairfield L 8 - 0 0 - 6 - 2 (0 - 2 - 1)
Tue. 19 Oak Hills L 11 - 2 0 - 7 - 2 (0 - 3 - 1)
Sat. 23 at Miamisburg L 6 - 0 0 - 8 - 2 (0 - 3 - 1)
Tue. 26 at Lakota West L 10 - 0 0 - 9 - 2 (0 - 4 - 1)

Sycamore and Fairfield beat them by 8 goals, I'm sure they could have scored more. Their other buddies from the GMC, Oak Hills, beat them by 9 and West, beats them by 10, what? Padding stats? Where's the sportsmanship?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-27-17, 09:54 AM
werns63 werns63 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-03-06
Posts: 432
werns63 is on a distinguished road
It's the 15-0. 13-0 scores that I believe are wrong.

Some coaches stop at 9, some at 10. Preference I guess.

Last edited by werns63; 09-27-17 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-17, 11:34 AM
fluffernut fluffernut is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-08
Posts: 203
fluffernut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol2017 View Post
And the award this week goes to Lakota West, 10-0 over Middletown.

Middletown Schedule
Sat. 19 Northmont L 7 - 1 0 - 1 - 0 (0 - 0 - 0)
Tue. 22 at Northwest T 5 - 5 0 - 1 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Thu. 24 Edgewood L 4 - 1 0 - 2 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Sat. 26 at Wayne L 4 - 3 0 - 3 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
Thu. 31 at Talawanda L 5 - 0 0 - 4 - 1 (0 - 0 - 0)
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT RESULT RECORD
Thu. 7 Colerain T 1 - 1 0 - 4 - 2 (0 - 0 - 1)
Tue. 12 Sycamore L 9 - 1 0 - 5 - 2 (0 - 1 - 1)
Thu. 14 at Fairfield L 8 - 0 0 - 6 - 2 (0 - 2 - 1)
Tue. 19 Oak Hills L 11 - 2 0 - 7 - 2 (0 - 3 - 1)
Sat. 23 at Miamisburg L 6 - 0 0 - 8 - 2 (0 - 3 - 1)
Tue. 26 at Lakota West L 10 - 0 0 - 9 - 2 (0 - 4 - 1)

Sycamore and Fairfield beat them by 8 goals, I'm sure they could have scored more. Their other buddies from the GMC, Oak Hills, beat them by 9 and West, beats them by 10, what? Padding stats? Where's the sportsmanship?

Have you had the pleasure of watching a game where a team "stops" scoring? They play keep-away, put unrealistic restrictions on the players (goals by headers only, left/weak footed shots only, ball needs to be played through all 11 players before going to goal, etc. . . ) IMO, it's one of the most humiliating things to do to a team. I hope if I'm ever on that side of the game, the team/coach shows my team enough respect to keep playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. Sit your top players, shift players around to positions out of their comfort zone, play 10 v. 11, or 9 v. 11...8 v. 11 if necessary, but keep playing. With that said, a player getting 4, 5, 6 goals in a game - that's grounds for the Craftsman Award.

My two cents...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-17, 02:43 PM
Rohbino Rohbino is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-08-07
Location: Gehinnom
Posts: 1,595
Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I mostly agree with fluffernut. Sometimes it is very hard to keep the scoreline respectable. There are things, though, that coaches can do. I particularly like the idea of moving players around. Put forwards that don't play in the back, in the back. Put defenders that never play up top, up top. Put the keeper on the field. Getting some field time would probably good for most keepers.

I think that the transgressions of the West coach are relatively minor. Brigit is a classy person. She has been around and has played the game for a long time. I don't think that she would intentionally embarrass an opponent. The fact of the matter is that the big leagues, GMC, GWOC, ECC, etc, are going to have teams that will be less competitive in any given year. Coaches neeed to learn how to best handle those situations.

As an aside, West Clermont, since becoming a new school through the merger of Batavia and Amelia, is looking pretty strong in some sports (I digressed to this after mentioning big leagues). There are strong rumors going around that the GMC may try to entice them into leaving the ECC. I think that the new blood would be good for the GMC.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-17, 04:06 PM
Futbol2017 Futbol2017 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-26-17
Posts: 41
Futbol2017 is on a distinguished road
i'm with you, playing keep away tends to make the other team chippy. Play a player down or 2. There are ways to prevent big blowouts. Work on your weakness, can only score with non-dominate foot, can only score off a header, etc. Been on both sides, not fun for either team. I hate when we play a lesser team and then have a tough opponent next. Playing down a player or two will make the dominate team work harder to prepare for the next game. Check out Loveland's scores, the highest goal differential was 8-0, they beat Withrow 7-0, I'm sure they could have scored more. As you said, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Futbol2017; 09-27-17 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-17, 09:02 PM
Sokrdad Sokrdad is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-06-15
Posts: 20
Sokrdad is on a distinguished road
The High Road

Lakota scored 2 goals in the first 5 minutes against Middletown, 6 in the first half. East then played 9 on the pitch and played to a 6-0 win.
Some Coaches teach Life Lessons along with soccer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-17, 09:44 PM
Futbol2017 Futbol2017 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-26-17
Posts: 41
Futbol2017 is on a distinguished road
^ Classy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-17, 01:09 PM
soccerfan63 soccerfan63 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-17-17
Posts: 60
soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffernut View Post
Have you had the pleasure of watching a game where a team "stops" scoring? They play keep-away, put unrealistic restrictions on the players (goals by headers only, left/weak footed shots only, ball needs to be played through all 11 players before going to goal, etc. . . ) IMO, it's one of the most humiliating things to do to a team. I hope if I'm ever on that side of the game, the team/coach shows my team enough respect to keep playing the game the way it's supposed to be played. Sit your top players, shift players around to positions out of their comfort zone, play 10 v. 11, or 9 v. 11...8 v. 11 if necessary, but keep playing. With that said, a player getting 4, 5, 6 goals in a game - that's grounds for the Craftsman Award.

My two cents...
There are a lot of things you can do besides playing keepaway. Bring in J.V. players would be my first choice. Tell your players you can only score a goal every 10 minutes. You can only score off your head. Move players around, play two touch, etc. When you go into these games, you know the result will be lopsided so why start your studs and wait until it is 6-0 before doing anything? Bring up J.V. players, start them, and avoid the whole situation.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-17, 05:51 PM
fluffernut fluffernut is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-08
Posts: 203
fluffernut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan63 View Post
There are a lot of things you can do besides playing keepaway. Bring in J.V. players would be my first choice. Tell your players you can only score a goal every 10 minutes. You can only score off your head. Move players around, play two touch, etc. When you go into these games, you know the result will be lopsided so why start your studs and wait until it is 6-0 before doing anything? Bring up J.V. players, start them, and avoid the whole situation.
Agreed - sounds like we're saying the same thing. One point about only scoring off headers (hence my comment about unrealistic restrictions) - ball ends up at the feet of your forward near or in the penalty box - clear breakaway. Becomes humiliating when said player plays it to the outside for a cross or scoops it up for a teammate to head it in instead of going to goal. I've seen it first hand - not cool.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-17, 07:06 AM
soccerboy08 soccerboy08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-28-08
Posts: 143
soccerboy08 is on a distinguished road
I know this a girls soccer forum, but we have a new candidate from the boys side:

D2 Region 7 1st Round

River View 20
Carrollton 0

Carrollton also has a 19-0 loss on the schedule....ouch.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-18-17, 07:23 AM
3343 3343 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-07-17
Posts: 32
3343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerboy08 View Post
I know this a girls soccer forum, but we have a new candidate from the boys side:

D2 Region 7 1st Round

River View 20
Carrollton 0

Carrollton also has a 19-0 loss on the schedule....ouch.
WOW that is so embarrassing! Not losing like that but winning like that! Why would any coach think that it is ok to score that much!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-18-17, 08:04 AM
mykids1fan mykids1fan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-03-12
Posts: 31
mykids1fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3343 View Post
WOW that is so embarrassing! Not losing like that but winning like that! Why would any coach think that it is ok to score that much!
Has anyone ever heard of a coach being required to attend some type of 'sportsmanship' class after winning by more than 10 goals?
I have never heard of such a class, but my daughter said she was told a boys coach told his team he had to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-18-17, 08:15 AM
CitrusCrunch CitrusCrunch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-22-07
Posts: 827
CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
kidsfan so what is worse 10-0 or 11-0 who sets the bar at 10 some folks on here its 8 some its 10 and some seem to be fine with 20 i guess my point is who decides whats too much no real standard set and who would set it before you have to go to class
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-18-17, 10:49 AM
CinciSoccerFan CinciSoccerFan is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-07-11
Posts: 87
CinciSoccerFan is on a distinguished road
I watch a game were the losing team simply stopped playing, stopped running
. The winning team was told to no longer score any goals and passed the ball around the pitch. I asked my daughter what the losing team was saying during the game. The answer was that they knew we wouldn't shoot so they decided to stop trying to win the ball. There are no good answers.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-17, 12:02 PM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,853
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykids1fan View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a coach being required to attend some type of 'sportsmanship' class after winning by more than 10 goals?
I have never heard of such a class, but my daughter said she was told a boys coach told his team he had to do it.
I BELIEVE THEY USE TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE GCL COED. Don't know if they still do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-18-17, 12:43 PM
SirStanley SirStanley is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Posts: 1,305
SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
I BELIEVE THEY USE TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN THE GCL COED. Don't know if they still do.
Alter boys won 13-1 last night. Would different divisions of the same league have different policies?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-18-17, 12:50 PM
CitrusCrunch CitrusCrunch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-22-07
Posts: 827
CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
no one said they couldnt do it just had to attend a class if they scored more than 10 so 13 is ok
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-18-17, 01:00 PM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,853
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStanley View Post
Alter boys won 13-1 last night. Would different divisions of the same league have different policies?
SS, I'm going from memory here since my youngest daughter never had a 10+ goal differential that I can recall. My older daughter (different coach @ McNick) had 1 or 2 instances of winning (probably Purcell/Bacon) by a 10 or 11 zero score. We were told that the coach had to report to someone re. this. I don't know what was involved. I do not know if this still is a requirement. I'm pretty sure the requirement would apply to any GCL team, boys or girls.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-18-17, 02:07 PM
MJ_SoccerRef MJ_SoccerRef is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-11
Posts: 376
MJ_SoccerRef is on a distinguished road
There is no state-wide policy regarding this subject / what margin of victory is ‘acceptable’. There MAY be some type of agreement with a particular league amongst the ADs as to what they think is appropriate.

The only OHSAA measure right now involves the running clock in the 2nd half once the lead is 6 goals or greater.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-18-17, 04:46 PM
SirStanley SirStanley is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Posts: 1,305
SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info, guys. When I started coaching around 20 years ago in Cincy, the unofficial standard was 10 goals max. No punishment for violations, but it was considered low class to win by more than that. I agree with those who say there's no easy solution. I personally despise keepaway. Last night at 9-0, we were kicking balls out for goal kicks when we got near endline. Not a great solution either, but at least our opponents got to play a little (which they wouldn't have, even against our second eleven).
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-18-17, 06:27 PM
soccerfan63 soccerfan63 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 07-17-17
Posts: 60
soccerfan63 is on a distinguished road
Withrow

On the flip side of the Craftsman award (sort of), I would like to give a spirit award to Withrow. Saw them play in a game this year in which they were losing 7-0 and the other team was playing keepaway, and I am sure it had to have been the umpteenth game in which this has happened this year. Their players were hustling, trying their best, their coach was positive and encouraging them, and they were just having fun out there. Basically chasing passes and every so often getting possession for a minute, but not able to control it. Even though this had to be common for them, they really inspired me watching them not give up. Kudos to them and their coach. If anyone knows their coach, please pass this on.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-19-17, 10:31 AM
PortageCountySports PortageCountySports is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-04-15
Posts: 51
PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
I say the game ends when it gets to 9-0. The winning team doesn’t want to play any longer either. Maybe this way, the better teams will stop scheduling huge mismatches in out of league play. I understand there’s no way to avoid it in tournament.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-19-17, 12:38 PM
ammtd34 ammtd34 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-13-05
Location: Springfield
Posts: 1,057
ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
I say the game ends when it gets to 9-0. The winning team doesn’t want to play any longer either. Maybe this way, the better teams will stop scheduling huge mismatches in out of league play. I understand there’s no way to avoid it in tournament.
There's no way to avoid it in the league, either. In some parts of the state, it's pretty difficult to schedule anyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-17, 08:30 PM
MJ_SoccerRef MJ_SoccerRef is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-08-11
Posts: 376
MJ_SoccerRef is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
There's no way to avoid it in the league, either. In some parts of the state, it's pretty difficult to schedule anyone else.
Agree....in some areas the teams are just so spread out, in order to get 16 regular season games, teams / leagues are compelled to play “home & away” twin bills. And then you have the issue of how far a school may want to travel for an away game. That’s even before factoring in ‘level of competition’.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-20-17, 08:37 AM
kingpower kingpower is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Posts: 33
kingpower is on a distinguished road
Something to consider when awarding the Craftsman Award. Not only should you look at a coach that runs up a score but how about a coach that does not change his front line in easy games where the outcome is already decided. Check GWOC stats. Sidney player has 92 points for the year. There are multiple games where she had more than 5 points and the game was a blowout. 4 games she had more than 10 points! I was at one of their games and they were winning 6-0. Both this girl and the girl third in GWOC points were still in the game trying to score goals. Makes you wonder how many other games this took place in. To me, that is even worse than running up the score on someone.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-20-17, 08:46 AM
CitrusCrunch CitrusCrunch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-22-07
Posts: 827
CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
so to be clear 9-0 seems to be the accepted butt whoopin on here. so in 9-0 game can the same girl score 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girls Soccer Scores (9/19) Yappi Girls Soccer 17 09-20-17 06:03 PM
News Herald Tony Fisher Award watch list for Aug. 30 Yappi Football 2 08-31-17 08:11 PM
OHSAA, District Athletic Boards Award $148,750 in College Scholarships Yappi Football 9 07-28-17 10:26 PM
Houston teacher gives out "most likely to be a terrorist" award to a 7th grader eastside_purple General Board 9 06-09-17 08:07 PM
Looking for Stats for Mr Football Award Winners Yappi Football 19 05-15-17 06:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz