Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Volleyball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-20-17, 06:40 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Rule Question - 22 Match Limitation for Individual

Scenario: Varsity still has 6 matches to go in the regular season. Player A has already participated in 8 Varsity matches and 14 JV matches. Player A is done for the remainder of the regular season until the tournament, correct?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-17, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
To be honest I didn't even know this rule existed.

Nonetheless, I'm not a fan of bouncing kids between JV and Varsity. Maybe for a couple matches to help out when the numbers are thin but if a player is on the court for 8 games and not just sitting the bench for varsity she should be on the varsity period.
Old 09-21-17, 04:44 PM
Junior Varsity

DVK is on a distinguished road
I believe it has to do with how much they play, equal to the total amount of matches played, like 1 set in JV & 2 sets in V would equal one match. So they played 1/2 V & JV each would be one match. Being former ref., I am almost positive about that. I know in basketball when you play 4 qtrs, 2 JV & 2V, that is considered one total game. You cannot play more than 88 qtrs (jv & v) (22 games), of course excluding any overtime.
Old 09-22-17, 09:11 AM
All Region

What then is the criteria in Vball that defines a player having played in one match in one day? 3 sets, regardless if all JV, all V, or a mix of JV and V?
Old 09-22-17, 01:56 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
VOLLEYBALL – GIRLS
A. GENERAL REGULATIONS
1) Interscholastic Participation

5. Match limitations for each high school team and individual player are 22 matches on no more than 22 playing dates.
6. Individual limitations for players who play in any non-varsity competition on the same day and against the same opponent consist of
a maximum of five (5) sets per day per common opponent.
7. Any part of a set is considered a full set.
8. In any tournament or regular season competition, teams and/or individuals shall be permitted to play a maximum of three matches
per day.
9. All regular season matches count in the 22 match limitations including non-varsity tournaments.
10. The penalty for exceeding the participation limitation during a match is forfeiture of that set in which the ineligible player is
participating. When discovered, the ineligible player is removed from the set, and the match continues unless that is the deciding
set of the match. If the ineligible participation is discovered in the deciding set or after the match is completed, the match is
forfeited.
11. A team/individual that exceeds the regular season participation limitation (maximum number of contests permitted) or
participates in regular season contest(s) prior to the designated start date for contests shall be removed from the OHSAA
tournament.

Last edited by Smalls; 09-22-17 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-22-17, 02:01 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Like everything with OHSAA I am more confused after reading it.

but I think if a girl plays a common opponent, on the same day for both the JV and Varsity it is counted as 1 match, but can not exceed 5 sets per day per common opponent.

So I think a girl could play 2 sets for JV and 3 sets for varsity vs all 22 teams assuming the matches are played on the same day.
or after reading for the 10th time #9 may be saying if you play both JV and varsity it would count as 2.
Old 09-22-17, 02:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Like everything with OHSAA I am more confused after reading it...#9 may be saying if you play both JV and varsity it would count as 2.
#9 is my hangup also as it's ambiguous to me too. I get the 5 sets max, as you wouldn't want players playing all JV sets then all 5 in the Varsity.
Old 09-23-17, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest tweeting Jerry Snodgrass. He's usually good at replying and clarifying rules.