Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Volleyball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-13-17, 11:39 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Players not playing HS and choosing JO only?

I've been hearing more and more players choosing this route. Not all are great players. Some just don't want to play for their coach and like the choice of playing for whoever they want.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
JO volleyball really is a different animal, the tournies have multiple matches per day and can be up to 3 day events with the competition fairly evenly matched up. In HS the comp can swing drastically depending on the level of girls in a program and there are some serious blowouts. Also you can pick and chose your teammates and coaches you want to play with in JO volleyball, in HS you are stuck with the coaches and players that are in the program. Some top level players are asked to play positions they may not want to because of a lack of talent, especially at setter. So if you are a great hitter in a program with no setter and the coach tells you you will be setting because they have no other option you may be turned off, especially if you are worried about getting injured while running all over the court dodging girls that have no idea where they should be standing.

Bottom line is while not a "kosher" thing to do I can see why a player would not want to play in a bad HS situation.
Old 09-14-17, 09:56 AM
Varsity

J.R. Swish is on a distinguished road
While I am not a volleyball guy.....players play and quitters quit. I would think college coaches would not be thrilled with players who only want to play in an "ideal situation". A chance to play other positions and take a leadership role on a team with less than great talent is an opportunity to grow in other areas. High school sports help prepare kids for life situations as well. Also throw in the fact that kids not playing are abandoning their friends they grew up with too. Just a few things to think about when making these decisions.
Old 09-14-17, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Swish View Post
While I am not a volleyball guy.....players play and quitters quit. I would think college coaches would not be thrilled with players who only want to play in an "ideal situation". A chance to play other positions and take a leadership role on a team with less than great talent is an opportunity to grow in other areas. High school sports help prepare kids for life situations as well. Also throw in the fact that kids not playing are abandoning their friends they grew up with too. Just a few things to think about when making these decisions.
Actually the NCAA coaches would probably prefer that the girls do not play HS volleyball their senior year. Volleyball is a sport where all the best players are sorted out and committed to college by their Junior year so they do not want to see their key recruits possibly be injured in what amounts in their eyes as a lower level of volleyball. Some girls do not even play 17s JO to avoid injury because of the investment. Finally this is a sport where early January enrollment is growing, especially at Setter and if a Freshman is being counted on to contribute right away, there are some NCAA coaches that make this a requirement for their scholarship offer so those that may also play a 2nd sport drop it after their Junior year.

Is it right? If I am a parent that has spent big $s traveling the country with a national JO player and the payoff is a free education at a great school than probably it is the right choice. If I am any other type of player no way, I would look at HS volleyball as a fun time and go with the flow even if the rest of the team is full of sub par players.