Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-25-17, 01:27 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
AAU is a different animal than HS. Sports attracts fans/FANATICS, and we have a general problem in society with politeness and respect for "them".

I saw a thing the other day that said, "I was spanked by my parents and it afflicted me with a psychological disease called, 'respect for others'." Lol.

But here is one thing I'd like to see that may help. I have noticed a difference from school to school with how rowdy and obnoxious their fans are. I think they take their cues from their coaches and players. If their coach is screaming and cursing at officials, opponents, and the players are acting like every foul called on them is the crime of the century, their crowd seems to respond to that, and it becomes the habit, and, eventually, the ethos of how that crowd watches the game. When people are running hot, it only takes one little comment from the other crowd to set something off.

I would suggest that coaches demand a fierce competitive nature from their players combined with an equally fierce respect for others. And coaches hold themselves to the same standard when advocating for their team to officials. Players are not allowed to react to anything they hear from the stands, they aren't allowed to argue with officials, roll their eyes, whine, etc. When a call goes against them, they calmly hand the ball to the official and go play defense. If they talk to officials they must use "sir" or "maam". The coaches set an example of class, maturity, and respect at all times. I think that would cut out 90% of the bad fan behavior.

But there is always that one guy or three, generally with a very loud voice, who have something to say about everything. In that case, I'd like to see coaches correct their own fans. Stop the game and go ask them to not represent his/her kids that way. Even before the season, have a meeting in which the standards of what the coach expects from himself/herself, the players, the parents, and the fans - and promise that those expectations will be enforced. That should cut out another 9%.

What about the other 1% who doesn't care what anyone thinks? That's what the police are for.

FWIW
Old 05-30-17, 09:19 AM
All District

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune89 View Post
Been to a lot...2 of the last 4 have had ugly behavior on display.....Friday night 16U local team at sports plus and another weekend at the Friars, St Benard police had to respond and both teams were kicked out....

the Wooster/Lexington game, looked more like a Trump rally with a few heckling protestors: Party:
Sounds like all of problems stem from the same "organization." Ohio Players Basketball in Cincinnati is a poorly run group who for some reason has control of most of these tournaments.
Old 05-30-17, 07:17 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Typically their are signs of something building before every outburst and that is why I feel it comes down to the tournament directors and or site managers working to stop this. Kicking teams out a few times will make teams reconsider their actions.
Old 06-01-17, 12:06 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Full disclosure: I got kicked out of a summer game in another state about 10 years ago - and learned some hard lessons in the process. In some ways I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but in other ways, I put myself in a position to act like an idiot.

There was a summer tournament of very good girls HS programs from all over the eastern US. They had a pool play thing and then the winners played a tournament. My daughter's team was playing this magnificent inner city team from Baltimore in the semis. Those girls were a taller, deeper version of Africentric. The pace of the game was frenetic from the tip.

I had gotten there just as the game started, dropped my people off, and parked. It was sunny that day, and after I had left my vehicle, I realized I had my sunglasses on. I thought about taking them back to the car, but decided to put them up on the bill of my ball cap - and I promptly forgot about them.

I get in the gym and there are zero seats open. All I could do was stand up against the wall under the basket. I'm watching the game, and not saying a word. It was a great game. Shot, rebound, outlet, and the ball was at the other end in 3 sec. One ref was a black guy, in great shape, who was keeping up with the action and doing a good job. The other guy looked like a line coach for a local HS football team - a white guy about 6'0 tall and well over 350 lbs. He couldn't keep up with the pace. The ball would be in the paint on one end and he would just be crossing half-court. But he was blowing his whistle and making calls - which drew the ire of both coaches and some of the fans. As the game went along, that ref was taking a ton of heat and abuse. But not from me. I hadn't said a word.

The big ref was getting very frustrated, and then a play happened along the baseline in front of me where a girl from our team had the ball and fumbled it out of bounds. I reacted by nodding/putting my head down - and my forgotten sunglasses flew off my hat, clacked when they hit the floor, and came to rest 4 inches across the baseline. It took me a few seconds to realize what had happened, and then I stepped forward and bent over to get my glasses. Just as I was about to grab them, a foot kicked them up the floor, almost to half-court. It was the big ref man.

The act really ticked me off, but I assumed he just misunderstood what had happened. I began to explain and apologize, and tell him it won't happen again. He said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. You just keep your damn stuff off my court." That didn't help my temper any either, but I went back to my place quietly. Then he stood there for about 20 sec with the ball under his arm, delaying starting the game, staring at me - which prompted me to tell him that he was an ____ (euphemism for the extreme lower end of the GI tract), and that got me tossed, of course.

But afterward, I realized that, right or wrong, that ref was the authority, and I should have shown him respect, even if he wasn't acting respectable. That situation needed someone who was willing to be the bigger man, and I was disappointed that I chose to not be that.

I went up to our coach later and apologized for being a distraction, and he was like, "Oh, it's OK. That ref was frustrated, and he was going to toss someone out. I was just glad it wasn't me or any of my players." Lol.

But my story is the exception. Most of the time, the problem originates in the stands, not with anyone on the court or bench. FWIW
Old 06-07-17, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
AAU is a different animal than HS. Sports attracts fans/FANATICS, and we have a general problem in society with politeness and respect for "them".

I saw a thing the other day that said, "I was spanked by my parents and it afflicted me with a psychological disease called, 'respect for others'." Lol.

But here is one thing I'd like to see that may help. I have noticed a difference from school to school with how rowdy and obnoxious their fans are. I think they take their cues from their coaches and players. If their coach is screaming and cursing at officials, opponents, and the players are acting like every foul called on them is the crime of the century, their crowd seems to respond to that, and it becomes the habit, and, eventually, the ethos of how that crowd watches the game. When people are running hot, it only takes one little comment from the other crowd to set something off.

I would suggest that coaches demand a fierce competitive nature from their players combined with an equally fierce respect for others. And coaches hold themselves to the same standard when advocating for their team to officials. Players are not allowed to react to anything they hear from the stands, they aren't allowed to argue with officials, roll their eyes, whine, etc. When a call goes against them, they calmly hand the ball to the official and go play defense. If they talk to officials they must use "sir" or "maam". The coaches set an example of class, maturity, and respect at all times. I think that would cut out 90% of the bad fan behavior.

But there is always that one guy or three, generally with a very loud voice, who have something to say about everything. In that case, I'd like to see coaches correct their own fans. Stop the game and go ask them to not represent his/her kids that way. Even before the season, have a meeting in which the standards of what the coach expects from himself/herself, the players, the parents, and the fans - and promise that those expectations will be enforced. That should cut out another 9%.

What about the other 1% who doesn't care what anyone thinks? That's what the police are for.

FWIW
Old 06-07-17, 01:07 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
Full disclosure: I got kicked out of a summer game in another state about 10 years ago - and learned some hard lessons in the process. In some ways I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, but in other ways, I put myself in a position to act like an idiot.

There was a summer tournament of very good girls HS programs from all over the eastern US. They had a pool play thing and then the winners played a tournament. My daughter's team was playing this magnificent inner city team from Baltimore in the semis. Those girls were a taller, deeper version of Africentric. The pace of the game was frenetic from the tip.

I had gotten there just as the game started, dropped my people off, and parked. It was sunny that day, and after I had left my vehicle, I realized I had my sunglasses on. I thought about taking them back to the car, but decided to put them up on the bill of my ball cap - and I promptly forgot about them.

I get in the gym and there are zero seats open. All I could do was stand up against the wall under the basket. I'm watching the game, and not saying a word. It was a great game. Shot, rebound, outlet, and the ball was at the other end in 3 sec. One ref was a black guy, in great shape, who was keeping up with the action and doing a good job. The other guy looked like a line coach for a local HS football team - a white guy about 6'0 tall and well over 350 lbs. He couldn't keep up with the pace. The ball would be in the paint on one end and he would just be crossing half-court. But he was blowing his whistle and making calls - which drew the ire of both coaches and some of the fans. As the game went along, that ref was taking a ton of heat and abuse. But not from me. I hadn't said a word.

The big ref was getting very frustrated, and then a play happened along the baseline in front of me where a girl from our team had the ball and fumbled it out of bounds. I reacted by nodding/putting my head down - and my forgotten sunglasses flew off my hat, clacked when they hit the floor, and came to rest 4 inches across the baseline. It took me a few seconds to realize what had happened, and then I stepped forward and bent over to get my glasses. Just as I was about to grab them, a foot kicked them up the floor, almost to half-court. It was the big ref man.

The act really ticked me off, but I assumed he just misunderstood what had happened. I began to explain and apologize, and tell him it won't happen again. He said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. You just keep your damn stuff off my court." That didn't help my temper any either, but I went back to my place quietly. Then he stood there for about 20 sec with the ball under his arm, delaying starting the game, staring at me - which prompted me to tell him that he was an ____ (euphemism for the extreme lower end of the GI tract), and that got me tossed, of course.

But afterward, I realized that, right or wrong, that ref was the authority, and I should have shown him respect, even if he wasn't acting respectable. That situation needed someone who was willing to be the bigger man, and I was disappointed that I chose to not be that.

I went up to our coach later and apologized for being a distraction, and he was like, "Oh, it's OK. That ref was frustrated, and he was going to toss someone out. I was just glad it wasn't me or any of my players." Lol.

But my story is the exception. Most of the time, the problem originates in the stands, not with anyone on the court or bench. FWIW
I was present at this event. What I recall happening is you took off your glasses, throw them right at his belly with a crow hop/as hard as you can, and said "Put those on fatso, at least look cool if you cant see anything!".
Ok thats a lie.