Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-18-17, 05:44 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I wonder how many Chinese folks stayed up all night this time to hear NASA's "big announcement" last week?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._134444371.htm
Old 12-20-17, 06:55 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Here's a couple of cool projects NASA has in the works:

https://www.space.com/39168-nasa-com...-missions.html

NASA has selected two ambitious finalists for its New Frontiers robotic mission program: a flying lander to soar over the surface of Saturn's big, potentially habitable moon Titan and a mission to bring back samples from a comet's icy nucleus.

I really like the Titan project:

The Dragonfly mission would send a flying, eight-rotored lander to explore Titan's hazy, hydrocarbon atmosphere and examine its surface, which is covered in methane and ethane seas and rivers. The exotic moon is very different from Earth, but its complex chemistry makes it a fascinating target to search for the development of life. The moon was previously mapped in detail by NASA's Cassini spacecraft, which flew by several times, and that mission's Huygens lander, which descended to Titan's surface in 2005.

With Dragonfly's detailed measurements of the moon's composition, "we can evaluate how far prebiotic chemistry has progressed in an environment we know has the ingredients for life — for water-based life, or potentially even hydrocarbon-based life," Elizabeth Turtle, a planetary scientist at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Maryland and principal investigator for Dragonfly, said during the news conference.
Old 12-23-17, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

SpaceX is caught screwing with Californians! Is it an alien invasion? is it a North Korean Nuke? Is it Santa getting an early start?

https://www.space.com/39197-spacex-s...nch-views.html

Wow! Talk about some Friday night lights! A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket lit up the evening sky over Southern California last night (Dec. 22) in a dazzling display that was visible to potentially millions of spectators and set Twitter abuzz with sightings.

The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched into space from California's Vandenberg Air Force Base north of Los Angeles at 5:27 p.m. PST (8:27 p.m. EST/0127 GMT) — just 30 minutes after sunset — carrying 10 Iridium Next communications satellites into orbit. The mission was a success, with all 10 satellites reaching their intended orbits. But it was the jaw-dropping views of the Falcon 9 streaking into space that stole the show, leaving an ethereal glowing plume in its wake as it soared into orbit.
Old 12-23-17, 06:58 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
^^^Elon Musk explained it: "Nuclear alien UFO from North Korea".

A weak attempt by Musk to cover up the truth. Do not be fooled! We all know, from watching "Ancient Aliens", that the aliens always come from the Orion constellation, not North Korea.
Old 12-24-17, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Good grief this is just wild:

https://nypost.com/2017/12/23/astron...ever-detected/

Astronomers in Chile are tracing the fastest star ever detected — and it’s zipping around a black hole in the Milky Way at 18 million miles an hour.

Keep in mind that this star is 15 times bigger then our sun! Can you imagine what this must look like close in?
Old 12-24-17, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Okay, I get that the New York Post may not be the most rigorous place to find high end scientific information on space exploration but it certainly is the most entertaining!

https://nypost.com/2017/12/22/creepy...t-earth-again/

Check the picture in the article out and tell me that this isn't the command ship of an alien bad guy closing in on earth. Skeletor lives!
Old 12-30-17, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

As we are now firmly in the season of "top things of the past year" check out the pictures in this article:

https://www.space.com/39234-best-ast...otos-2017.html

These are some of the most spectacular & sublime images from space you will ever see.
Old 01-01-18, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Happy New Years! Here's some stuff to kick off 2018 in style:

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/201...l&utm_medium=7

Scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory are making preliminary plans for an interstellar mission, the agency's first. The team wants to send a probe to look for sings of life on the exoplanets surrounding Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to Earth.

Exciting news! But then you read the small print:

According to New Scientist, which first revealed the news, the proposed launch is set for 2069 -- a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

Hmm, I could be a little long in the tooth by then. But here's some stuff that will be happening a little sooner:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...ple-from-mars/

To continue this work, scientists need a pristine sample of Martian rock and soil, which would help build a Rosetta Stone to unlock the history of the solar system. The potential knowledge to be obtained from such a sample ranges from the formation of Mars to the nature of the planet's ancient surface waters to possible habitability in the Red Planet's past, and in turn, perhaps the secret to the origin of life on Earth.

With so much to gain, both NASA and the Chinese national space agency are designing missions to retrieve a sample from Mars before the end of the 2020s.

I hope these guys take proper precautions becasue I've seen this science fiction film before and it doesn't end well for us!
Old 01-02-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

It's not so TOP SECRET if you know the name of the rocket but cool none-the-less!

https://www.space.com/39257-spacex-s...hing-soon.html

The wait is almost over for the mysterious Zuma spacecraft.

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket is scheduled to launch Zuma, a top-secret U.S. government satellite, between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. EDT Friday (Jan. 5; 0100 to 0300 GMT Jan. 6) from NASA's Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida, according to Air Force officials.
Old 01-03-18, 02:12 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you'd seen this yet. Once again, folks got their hopes up:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/03/...bbys-star-dim/
Old 01-03-18, 08:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Not sure if you'd seen this yet. Once again, folks got their hopes up:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/03/...bbys-star-dim/
I'm actually relieved here. Any alien civilization that could build what it would take to make a star dim intimidates me just a bit!
Old 01-06-18, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

In the spirit of the latest Star wars movie, here's a great article on how space warfare would really be conducted:

https://www.space.com/39273-real-war...e-fiction.html

Weeden mentioned "The Expanse" as a rare case of a TV show that depicts spare warfare pretty close to accurately, but he insisted that the gap between fiction and reality with regard to space war is stark.

Space indeed has turned into an important battlefront, and for good reasons. It is critical to nearly all aspects of national security and military power, including intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, communications, precision timing and navigation, attack warning and targeting of potential threats. The issue for the United States is to figure out how to thwart attacks within the boundaries of current treaties and legal frameworks, Weeden said. "Counterspace is now part of conventional warfare because space itself is part of conventional warfare."

Non‐kinetic attacks like jamming and interference are occurring more often. They are cheaper and easier to pull off than full-on kinetic destruction of satellites that would require a high-power laser or a ballistic missile.

I like them calling out The Expanse. It is far and away the best science fiction show on TV. You can find Seasons 1 & 2 at SciFy and I would recommend binge watching the 1st two seasons in preparation for the airing of season 3 later this year. One note though, the series gets off to a slow start and I would recommend you watch the 1st four episodes before deciding whether to stick with it.
Old 01-07-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

USA! USA! USA! USA!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/art...017/ar-BBHUP0k

Last year marked the first time in 12 years that the United States has led the world in number of orbital launches. There were 29 launches into space from U.S soil, compared to 20 from Russia and 19 from China.

The rise stems entirely from the private space industry, in particular SpaceX. Of those 29 launches, 18 were SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets. All 29 American launches were successful, while the historically reliable Russian Soyuz-2 experienced a computer failure. The star of China's rocket fleet, the Long March 5, also experienced a failure while trying to launch a communications satellite.

It's actually stunning and significant that private launches accounted for more than half the USA's launches. IMO this means we will dominate space in the coming decades.
Old 01-07-18, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Corporations aren't tied to countries. Space-X could easily move to Mexico in the future.
Old 01-07-18, 02:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Corporations aren't tied to countries. Space-X could easily move to Mexico in the future.
Not with Trump in office!

Seriously though, the talent isn't in Mexico to support this industry. SpaceX and the other private players rely heavily on the scientific & engineering talent developed in the US for our Space & Defense industries. But you do bring up a good point and it would be in our interest to use a carrot & stick to keep operations in the US going forward.
Old 01-07-18, 02:52 PM
All Yappi

Doesn't matter where the talent comes from, they'll go to the jobs. If the US itself want to be the leader, we need to pour more money into NASA itself.
Old 01-07-18, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
The research base always has been and will continue to be public: NASA. It's our corporate welfare method. We want better roads, we don't wait for a private company to make it happen. Same for making further advances Space. The technology trickles out.

Space leader will probably be dictated by first to turn it into profit, which will really only happen if there's something out there can be had cheaper than it can be had here. Right now I think we're still in the extended living viability phase. Seems to me long over due to send a ship with artificial gravity capability, past libration. I'd be surprised if we don't have the technology. I wonder what is holding up the attempt. Money? Technology? Desire?
Old 01-07-18, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

NASA contracts out and most of the research goes on in universities. The private sector provides most of the technology, and in the current setup many are reliant on the government contracts. Space-X is one of those companies now, but they are undoubtedly planning a shift toward self-reliance via tourism and space mining in the medium to long range future.

Space-X being an American company now means nothing in the long term. Once we have self-reliant space corporations, they'll behave just like an other, moving around to the most libertarian areas of the world where there are fewer taxes and regulations.
Old 01-07-18, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I used to work some of those contracts. Since it's a NASA contract, when I'm discussing that I put it into the NASA research category, whether that research takes place at a University, private company or on-site. No doubt there is technology they out-right purchase.
Old 01-07-18, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
NASA contracts out and most of the research goes on in universities. The private sector provides most of the technology, and in the current setup many are reliant on the government contracts. Space-X is one of those companies now, but they are undoubtedly planning a shift toward self-reliance via tourism and space mining in the medium to long range future.

Space-X being an American company now means nothing in the long term. Once we have self-reliant space corporations, they'll behave just like an other, moving around to the most libertarian areas of the world where there are fewer taxes and regulations.
I don't disagree that in the long run there will be massive trans solar system corporations that will exist outside the nation state. But I think in the short to medium term the success of these private ventures will boost the American space program big time.

One huge advantage the USA has to retain these corporations longer then any other nation is our enormous defense program. As crusaders noted the key to corporate space success now and for the foreseeable future is having access to lucrative government contracts and nothing is more lucrative then defense funding.

I also think (hope) that among the great powers - China, Russia, EU, Brazil, Japan & India - the USA will be the location of lowest taxes & minimum wasteful regulations. Combine that with a natural corporate desire to tap into NASA and the even bigger defense department space program funding and we should be able to maintain or even extend our lead in the space race. And if all else fails I suspect that nations would readily resort to nationalizing the corporate assets of any company wanting to jump ship.

Net, I don't think space company's will go free agent among the nation states on earth, they will largely stay tied to their country of origin. I do believe though that their free agency will blossom once you have corporations located off planet. At that point they could very well become stronger then the nation states on Earth. Even more intriguing will be the off Earth colonies that will spring up all over the solar system. I could see these colonies working with the big trans solar corporations to claim their independence.
Old 01-07-18, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
The research base always has been and will continue to be public: NASA. It's our corporate welfare method. We want better roads, we don't wait for a private company to make it happen. Same for making further advances Space. The technology trickles out.

Space leader will probably be dictated by first to turn it into profit, which will really only happen if there's something out there can be had cheaper than it can be had here. Right now I think we're still in the extended living viability phase. Seems to me long over due to send a ship with artificial gravity capability, past libration. I'd be surprised if we don't have the technology. I wonder what is holding up the attempt. Money? Technology? Desire?
I could see the whole system evolving into something like we have for our utilities. Independent private corporations working under government regulation to deliver a critical service.

As far as finding value in space exploration I suspect this is where defense needs will fill the transition gap from now to full on resource exploitation and zero gravity sex tourism! Today, controlling space is critical to a nation's defense and the need to control both near and soon far earth orbits will create extensive funding opportunities.
Old 01-08-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

Rethink this one. "I also think (hope) that among the great powers - China, Russia, EU, Brazil, Japan & India - the USA will be the location of...minimum wasteful regulations.

Minimal Wasteful Regulations: Order these countries.
US, China, Russia, EU, Brazil, Japan & India

I don't think the US wins that contest. China, Russia will not let any regulation deter their goal and external pressure means little to them. India and Brazil are a bit more subject to internal and external pressures for regulation and Japan does a decent enough job of regulating themselves.

If we're waiting for a defensive reason to expand manned exploration, I don't think we'll ever get there as no other country has even made a threatening move. If a cause is to be manufactured I think "crashing asteroid" or "Trump is from Mars" have the better legs.

Now the latter is my pure genius. Half the country would be wanting to build a space bridge and the other a space wall. Right there is technological development.
Old 01-08-18, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Rethink this one. "I also think (hope) that among the great powers - China, Russia, EU, Brazil, Japan & India - the USA will be the location of...minimum wasteful regulations.

Minimal Wasteful Regulations: Order these countries.
US, China, Russia, EU, Brazil, Japan & India

I don't think the US wins that contest. China, Russia will not let any regulation deter their goal and external pressure means little to them. India and Brazil are a bit more subject to internal and external pressures for regulation and Japan does a decent enough job of regulating themselves.

If we're waiting for a defensive reason to expand manned exploration, I don't think we'll ever get there as no other country has even made a threatening move. If a cause is to be manufactured I think "crashing asteroid" or "Trump is from Mars" have the better legs.

Now the latter is my pure genius. Half the country would be wanting to build a space bridge and the other a space wall. Right there is technological development.
Fair points about deregulation but of all the countries you listed IMO none of them have the potential for truly letting company's do their own thing in space that the USA has. Russia & China are totalitarian and will always have the FINAL say in Corporate decisions. And given that both regimes resemble the Mafia once a company casts their lot with China/Russia they will never be able to extract themselves if things go south. On the opposite side India, Brazil & the EU are simply to institutionally big government/patronage based to allow these company's to work freely. I also think (hope) that 8 years of Trump will tame the regulatory beast that grew so much under Clinton, GW Bush & Obama.

As for the defense department (DD) spurring space exploration it has already contributed a lot ever since Reagan initiated Star Wars. I suspect that the next phase of DD space work will involve humans both in space and on the moon. In the next 50 years someone will figure out how to grab an asteroid and throw it at the earth. This might be an appealing way to bring on the apocalypse that certain religions favor. At the very least the capability for deep space interdiction of large rocks thrown at us will be necessary.
Old 01-08-18, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

Russia & China are totalitarian and will always have the FINAL say in Corporate decisions. And given that both regimes resemble the Mafia once a company casts their lot with China/Russia they will never be able to extract themselves if things go south.
China and Russia are 2 and 3 with the number of Billionaires. Hong Kong throws in another 80. They're not as regulated and eye-balled as their competitors (us) would like to make it appear. They will occasionally kill or imprison one though, lol. I think that actually goes to their credit. We should try it once or twice.
Old 01-09-18, 09:49 AM
All Yappi

Now back to SPACE NEWS. Here is one of the truer and cleverer article titles put out by the media in quite some time:

https://nypost.com/2018/01/08/jupite...f-your-dreams/

Calling Jupiter a "Galactic Lava Lamp" is spot on. Here's the spectacular video from the article. The only thing it's missing is the theme music from 2001 A Space Odyssey!

Old 01-09-18, 05:52 PM
All Yappi

Europa's for hippies.
Old 01-11-18, 03:12 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
'A fantastic find': Mars hides thick sheets of ice just below the surface

Quote:
The slope rises as high as London's Big Ben tower. Beneath its ruddy layer of dirt is a sheet of ice 300 feet thick that gives the landscape a blue-black hue. If such a scene sounds otherworldly, it is. To visit it, you'll have to travel to Mars.

Planetary scientists located eight of these geological features, called scarps, on the Red Planet. An analysis of the scarps revealed that thick ice hides just below the surface. This ice, the researchers say, could be a tempting target for future exploration — as well as a valuable resource for Earthlings camped out on Mars.
Read more:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efbf34425d6a
Old 01-11-18, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
'A fantastic find': Mars hides thick sheets of ice just below the surface

Read more:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.efbf34425d6a
This is huge news for eventually colonizing Mars. Access to large amounts of water right below the surface makes large human settlements on Mars feasible.
Old 01-12-18, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Was just coming here to post a similar article I read this morning on Martian ice

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/ste...-of-buried-ice
Old 01-12-18, 10:55 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Was just coming here to post a similar article I read this morning on Martian ice

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/ste...-of-buried-ice
Great quote from the article: "Astronauts could essentially just go there with a bucket and a shovel and get all the water they need."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: