Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 05-21-19, 08:21 AM
the_one_32 the_one_32 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-05-07
Location: columbus/cincy
Posts: 47
the_one_32 is on a distinguished road
Colerain 2019

Haven't seen much on here about the upcoming Colerain season so figured I would start the thread. Defense is supposed to be one of the best in the state, again, however offensively there are rumors swirling that they may go more spread this season.

Also concerned that Coach Cut is overwhelming himself by trying to run the new Colerain Youth organization as well as being the school's head coach.

Anyone have info?

Last edited by the_one_32; 05-21-19 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-22-19, 08:12 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,589
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
It's going to be an interesting year for Colerain. Coming off the high of a State Title game appearance and runner-up finish SHOULD have everyone in a good place, but they graduate a ton of very good players with tons of experience. There are certainly some back that will help but others (i.e. Freddie Johnson) will need to step up their production as the spotlight will be on them.

As far as the region is concerned, the Cardinals should not be considered the favorite, and I don't think they will be. I think that pre-season love goes to St. Xavier. They return enough talent to make things interesting and their offense, under new leadership, can only get better...right?

100 days before we head north to battle the Wayne Warriors...CAN'T WAIT!!!

-CardinalsFan
  #3  
Old 05-22-19, 08:21 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Would like another December matchup between Eagles and Cardinals
  #4  
Old 05-30-19, 11:52 AM
the_one_32 the_one_32 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-05-07
Location: columbus/cincy
Posts: 47
the_one_32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
It's going to be an interesting year for Colerain. Coming off the high of a State Title game appearance and runner-up finish SHOULD have everyone in a good place, but they graduate a ton of very good players with tons of experience. There are certainly some back that will help but others (i.e. Freddie Johnson) will need to step up their production as the spotlight will be on them.

As far as the region is concerned, the Cardinals should not be considered the favorite, and I don't think they will be. I think that pre-season love goes to St. Xavier. They return enough talent to make things interesting and their offense, under new leadership, can only get better...right?

100 days before we head north to battle the Wayne Warriors...CAN'T WAIT!!!

-CardinalsFan
I think I have alot more faith in the current talent than most. Hearing from those close to the program, they will be very very good as long as young guys play close to their potential. I also think Coach Cut can get this program over the hump in the way Bolden could not. With the talent Tommy had and the teams he was facing in the playoffs, he should have won multiple state titles. No disrespect to St. Edward, but Colerain was far and away more talented than them, Bolden just got outcoached again.
  #5  
Old 05-30-19, 06:52 PM
HardCorps HardCorps is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 663
HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
I think I have alot more faith in the current talent than most. Hearing from those close to the program, they will be very very good as long as young guys play close to their potential. I also think Coach Cut can get this program over the hump in the way Bolden could not. With the talent Tommy had and the teams he was facing in the playoffs, he should have won multiple state titles. No disrespect to St. Edward, but Colerain was far and away more talented than them, Bolden just got outcoached again.
I still cannot believe that he did not utilize JJ Davis last year especially after the way he played the year before in the playoffs. Oh well; time to move on.
  #6  
Old 05-31-19, 08:38 AM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,589
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
I still cannot believe that he did not utilize JJ Davis last year especially after the way he played the year before in the playoffs. Oh well; time to move on.
JJ was banged up at the beginning of the year which severely limited his touches. And besides, the option offense always starts with the FB, then the QB...wing-back is usually the last option...in a true triple.

I can't complain about 14-1 with a revenge victory over Pick Central in the mix. The loss to St. Edward was tough to swallow, but then again, their talent ceiling was much higher than ours so, what are you going to do?

New year, TONS of new players and new man in charge....CAN'T WAIT!

-CardinalsFan
  #7  
Old 05-31-19, 03:33 PM
HardCorps HardCorps is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 663
HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
JJ was banged up at the beginning of the year which severely limited his touches. And besides, the option offense always starts with the FB, then the QB...wing-back is usually the last option...in a true triple.

I can't complain about 14-1 with a revenge victory over Pick Central in the mix. The loss to St. Edward was tough to swallow, but then again, their talent ceiling was much higher than ours so, what are you going to do?

New year, TONS of new players and new man in charge....CAN'T WAIT!

-CardinalsFan
I am looking forward to Colerain winning the GMC and their crashing of St Xs High Expectations Party.
  #8  
Old 06-03-19, 09:35 AM
CardDad CardDad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-07-02
Posts: 4,771
CardDad is on a distinguished road
It would be cool to face LW in the playoffs
  #9  
Old 06-03-19, 09:37 AM
OUcats82 OUcats82 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-14-04
Posts: 1,133
OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Well this will certainly be the first season in almost 15 years where there are what I would say more questions/uncertainties on the coaching staff. I personally think they will keep things humming at a high level as most the staff remains intact.

Obviously all Bolden's went off to West.

Linebacker coach Fortkamp is over at Elder to be with his son I heard?

Anyone else move on to other opportunities?

Players and coaches alike are going to be eager to prove that the program is bigger than just one coach (albeit a very successful one). There may be some new wrinkles/elements beyond what had been the MO under Bolden but I don't forsee any wholesale changes. A desire for consistency and keeping a good thing going appeared to be key reasons in hiring the new coach from within.

JV I think only lost once last year (to X) and there were a lot of reserves that saw good time on varsity. Like many years, I see the defense being ahead of the offense when they travel to Huber Height in week one.
  #10  
Old 06-04-19, 11:48 AM
TR1982 TR1982 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-09-15
Posts: 183
TR1982 is on a distinguished road
Mark my words you will see the ability to shift from the triple to the spread/no huddle offense. This has potential to really throw people off. Should be an interesting season in the GMC either way.
  #11  
Old 06-04-19, 12:13 PM
cincifbfan cincifbfan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-20-15
Posts: 825
cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1982 View Post
Mark my words you will see the ability to shift from the triple to the spread/no huddle offense. This has potential to really throw people off. Should be an interesting season in the GMC either way.
That may not be a good thing... Could make Colerain lose their identity on offense. An offense that has absolutely lit up the scoreboard for over 20 years! Everyone runs the spread, doesn't mean it's good. Most run a terrible spread and most OCs have no clue how to actually run it. My favorite phrase that Offensive Coaches throw around that says they don't have a clue is "we are going to give the ball to our athletes out in space." Makes me chuckle every time I hear that. Hopefully that's not what you get out on Cheviot Road.
  #12  
Old 06-05-19, 02:29 PM
JBaller JBaller is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-08-03
Posts: 4,289
JBaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
That may not be a good thing... Could make Colerain lose their identity on offense. An offense that has absolutely lit up the scoreboard for over 20 years! Everyone runs the spread, doesn't mean it's good. Most run a terrible spread and most OCs have no clue how to actually run it. My favorite phrase that Offensive Coaches throw around that says they don't have a clue is "we are going to give the ball to our athletes out in space." Makes me chuckle every time I hear that. Hopefully that's not what you get out on Cheviot Road.
Bolden lost Colerain's identity on offense from about 2011 to 2016 as they ran a lot more spread with more passing and a lot less triple option. Only the last two years did he bring back the vintage double slot or I-formation veer as the exclusive offense. He also started putting some of his best athletes on defense again. The results were two regional titles. If Colerain stacks their athletes on defense and continues to run the triple option exclusively, they will win a third consecutive. If they go away from that, one of Moeller, X, Elder, or Wayne is going to beat them in the playoffs.
  #13  
Old 07-14-19, 08:52 PM
CardinalsFan's Avatar
CardinalsFan CardinalsFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-15-01
Location: 8801 Cheviot Road
Posts: 10,589
CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Camp starts on Monday!

Who is in the lead for QB duties to replace DSM? What about the backfield? And who is going to line up with 3-yr starter Ace Ehrenschwender on the OL?

Defensively, could this team be better than last year? Is that possible? How about Corleone and Bess? How good can they be? And what about the younger Pace? Can Deshawn contribute on both sides of the ball like big bro did?

How will Coach Cutright transition to the HC role?

Going to be a very exciting year of transition for the defending regional champs.

Love to hear Cardinal Nation's thoughts as we go through the week.

-CardinalsFan
  #14  
Old 07-15-19, 09:47 AM
OUcats82 OUcats82 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-14-04
Posts: 1,133
OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
In a shocking, same as most years, sequence of events-the defense will be far ahead of the offense come week one!

IIRC, there was quite a bit of success at the lower ranks last year (only a few losses between frosh and JV?) and many of those players will be moving up so confidence should not be a problem for them.

I think Freddie Johnson would be the front runner at QB based on the interview Mike Dyer had on Facebook last week with Coach Cut. A rising junior I believe? Would set him up for two years under center?

No doubt one of the most successful and decorated classes in school history walked across the stage at Millett Hall back in May. Still lots of talent still on campus, though.

Biggest questions marks for me are offensive and new coaching staff. Lots of spaces to fill on the line and mostly new pieces in the backfield (at least as starters). Ace is definitely a solid anchor to build a line around.

Does Wayne's recent coaching changes give the Cards a small advantage in week one? Did it give the Warriors an extra level of motivation?

Definitely a lot of intriguing story lines for many GMC teams going into the season, with a new coach at West and one of the best running backs to come through the GMC in quite some time returning at Fairfield-not to mention all of the blue chip talent returning at Princeton.

However, no one appears ready to run roughshod over their conference brethren to me at this time. Could be a lot of parody and the champs may very well have a loss of two?!

I think we will all have a better handle on how the 2019 season will go for the Cards after weeks one and two. Tough tests right out of the gate.

Any sophomores/other new comers to watch out for?
  #15  
Old 07-15-19, 10:50 AM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 37,174
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
In a shocking, same as most years, sequence of events-the defense will be far ahead of the offense come week one!

IIRC, there was quite a bit of success at the lower ranks last year (only a few losses between frosh and JV?) and many of those players will be moving up so confidence should not be a problem for them.

I think Freddie Johnson would be the front runner at QB based on the interview Mike Dyer had on Facebook last week with Coach Cut. A rising junior I believe? Would set him up for two years under center?

No doubt one of the most successful and decorated classes in school history walked across the stage at Millett Hall back in May. Still lots of talent still on campus, though.

Biggest questions marks for me are offensive and new coaching staff. Lots of spaces to fill on the line and mostly new pieces in the backfield (at least as starters). Ace is definitely a solid anchor to build a line around.

Does Wayne's recent coaching changes give the Cards a small advantage in week one? Did it give the Warriors an extra level of motivation?

Definitely a lot of intriguing story lines for many GMC teams going into the season, with a new coach at West and one of the best running backs to come through the GMC in quite some time returning at Fairfield-not to mention all of the blue chip talent returning at Princeton.

However, no one appears ready to run roughshod over their conference brethren to me at this time. Could be a lot of parody and the champs may very well have a loss of two?!

I think we will all have a better handle on how the 2019 season will go for the Cards after weeks one and two. Tough tests right out of the gate.

Any sophomores/other new comers to watch out for?
Wayne's coaching change and all the mess that is going on gives Colerain a HUGE advantage as rumors of kids transferring out could leave Wayne in not that great of shape.

If the rumors are false and Wayne is in tact they should be pretty decent this year but the year to keep an eye out for them would be next year if everyone stays put.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canton emerges as favorite to host 2019 state football finals Mackinbiner Football 27 01-31-19 08:55 PM
GMC Football Outlook for 18-19 Vike16 Football 642 01-11-19 10:10 AM
GMC GOTW: Colerain Cardinals (8-0) vs. Fairfield Indians (7-1) CardinalsFan Football 225 10-25-18 04:59 PM
The "Official" Colerain vs. Middletown Poll ~Decade of Domination Edition tofer23 Football 17 09-14-18 09:01 AM
OFFICIAL GMC 2017 Thread AJJ5 Football 1231 11-12-17 10:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.