Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 02-25-19, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbica001 View Post
#4 for StVM might be too high. Hear they are losing QB, RB, and a couple WRís.

What is going on at East that has all these players flocking there, and donít tell me itís the coach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd not heard that about the QB jbica.

The APS kids in Akron follow success.

How's that field coming?
Old 02-25-19, 11:38 AM
Freshman

hubhub1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What is going on at East that has all these players flocking there, and donít tell me itís the coach!

Why canít it be the Coach and his Staff, only thing I hear about is how he and his staff go above and beyond for helping kids. East catches slot of flack but that coach and his staff do a great job. I know a couple people around the program, kids excel when they get there
Old 02-25-19, 12:03 PM
All District

Irish Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A few kids left who werenít going to get much playing time next year. The QB and RB are still there. The RB will be the career rushing leader after next year and the QB is already the career passing leader so I would doubt either will be leaving.
Old 02-25-19, 12:41 PM
All American

jbica001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Football View Post
A few kids left who werenít going to get much playing time next year. The QB and RB are still there. The RB will be the career rushing leader after next year and the QB is already the career passing leader so I would doubt either will be leaving.

I heard the QB and RB are going back to home schools, but that is just a rumor until it actually happens.

Old 02-25-19, 04:40 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
brian, early on is going to be tough. The O line has to be rebuilt. Their D, just a shade above average last year, lost a lot of key guys. They lost top receiver, top return man, leading tacklers, 2/3 of secondary and punter. While Wright and Foster return and are top notch, obviously, they need a 3rd option. QB play should be better. The scrimmages will be so very important in finding the answers. There may be a lot of younger players getting time. The coaches are going to have to concentrate on development quickly and quit showcasing Wright. He is the MAN and everyone knows it.
This is spot on, I will be a little more direct. Manchester does not have an offensive lineman coming back next year that is a Friday night player. With the exception of Hettich they were very mediocre this year on the Oline. Wright, Foster and Johnson carried them. Johnson will be gone. Manchester will be in a tough spot next fall.
Old 02-25-19, 05:23 PM
All Region

Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
This is spot on, I will be a little more direct. Manchester does not have an offensive lineman coming back next year that is a Friday night player. With the exception of Hettich they were very mediocre this year on the Oline. Wright, Foster and Johnson carried them. Johnson will be gone. Manchester will be in a tough spot next fall.
kidz, thanks for the vote of confidence on my thoughts. Now, I can't be the bad guy!
Old 02-25-19, 07:39 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Weightroom.
Old 02-25-19, 08:12 PM
Freshman

OhioFB4L is on a distinguished road
Woodridge gets no respect. All they do is win
Old 02-25-19, 08:30 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioFB4L View Post
I agree that Woodridge is underrated. However, good luck getting anybody to respect the PTC around here.
Old 02-25-19, 08:31 PM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioFB4L View Post
Until the post season.
Old 02-25-19, 08:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Weightroom.
No itís not weight room. Itís classroom. Several have left from Hoban due to academics or a lack of. Some have left to Buchtel for the same reasons and more, misconduct. East is doing all they can to help these kids and my hats off to them.
Old 02-26-19, 05:39 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
No itís not weight room. Itís classroom. Several have left from Hoban due to academics or a lack of. Some have left to Buchtel for the same reasons and more, misconduct. East is doing all they can to help these kids and my hats off to them.

Are they really helping them, or taking advantage of some misfortunate issues these young men have at other schools. Are they slipping them by on grades and covering up misconduct for the sake of football success?

Old 02-26-19, 06:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Are they really helping them, or taking advantage of some misfortunate issues these young men have at other schools. Are they slipping them by on grades and covering up misconduct for the sake of football success?

Thatís a good question. In most cases what I have seen is that the students just donít want to do the work or obey the rules. Itís not that they canít, they just donít want to. Easier to go back to home district with less rules and academic demands. But what are you going to do if you are the home district? Throw them to the streets? Most of the time the coach may be one of the only positive role modelís in the students life. OHSAA IMO should treat a transfer back to a home school district the same as transferring anywhere else. Make them sit. Also schools should have a higher threshold for eligibility in terms of GPA in core curriculum. 2.0 letís say? Or whatever GPA they would need to be accepted into a higher education. Tough call
Old 02-26-19, 08:16 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
The even more important state report card rankings (608 total districts)-

Revere- 21
Hudson- 28
Twinsburg-- 71
Copley- 86
Green- 95
Nordonia- 113
Manchester- 144
Norton- 170
Tallmadge- 252
Stow- 284
Woodridge- 327
Mogadore- 332
Cuyahoga Falls- 410
Coventry- 464
Springfield- 502
Barberton- 536
Akron- 585
Old 02-26-19, 10:07 AM
All Ohio

Thurgood75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That’s a good question. In most cases what I have seen is that the students just don’t want to do the work or obey the rules. It’s not that they can’t, they just don’t want to. Easier to go back to home district with less rules and academic demands. But what are you going to do if you are the home district? Throw them to the streets? Most of the time the coach may be one of the only positive role model’s in the students life. OHSAA IMO should treat a transfer back to a home school district the same as transferring anywhere else. Make them sit. Also schools should have a higher threshold for eligibility in terms of GPA in core curriculum. 2.0 let’s say? Or whatever GPA they would need to be accepted into a higher education. Tough call
This sounds like more perception then reality. Has anyone ever taken the time to actually ask a player or close family member why that player chose to go back to their home school instead of ASSuming? Not every player enjoys their experience at private schools experience rather is the curriculum, travel distance, culture, athletic competitiveness, etc. Let's not pretend this doesn't work both ways. The private school is only recruiting the majority of these inner city kids who never attended a school in their diocese for athletic reasons. Kids have a right to attend a school that they are most comfortable at just like adults have the same rights in the workplace. Schools don't own the kids!!

In Akron you have to just focus on building and maintaining a winning culture the kids will come. We put waaaaay to much emphasis on high school education let's be honest. For the most part your going to redo/learn it all over again in college. Once you are a professional your high school shouldn't even be listed on your resume for educational reference anyway's if you catch my drift. Its all about who you know, experience, cultural fit, and then education.

Back to football right now Hoban, East, Barberton and Buchtel is hot in the city and thats where kids want to go for now.

Last edited by Thurgood75; 02-26-19 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-26-19, 11:11 AM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
In the spirit of it never really being "too early" to begin prognostications, what are some thoughts on how the Summit County squads will stack-up coming into the 2019 campaign?

I've listed all Summit County teams below (not ranked for 2019), including their 2018 record as well as the region in which they participated last season.

Disclaimer: I did not separate Manchester, Mogadore and CVCA as "smaller" schools. Feel free to rank them as you see fit and debate their placement (as always).

In Order of 2018 Record (playoff qualifiers first):
*playoff team

Archbishop Hoban (15-0)* (D2/R5): Won D2 State Championship
Mogadore (11-2)* (D6/R21): Lost to Kirtland in State Playoffs
Barberton (10-1)* (D2/R7): Lost to Tri-Valley in State Playoffs
Manchester (9-4)* (D5/R17): Lost to Orrville in State Playoffs
East (9-3)* (D3/R9): Lost to Canfield in State Playoffs
Nordonia (9-2)* (D2/R5): Lost to Riverside in State Playoffs
CVCA (7-4)* (D4/R13): Lost to Perry in State Playoffs
Buchtel (6-5)* (D4/R13: Lost to Steubenville in State Playoffs
Norton (8-2) (D3/R9)
St. Vincent-St. Mary (7-3) (D3/R9)
Revere (6-4) (D3/R9)
Woodridge (6-4) (D4/R13)
Stow-Munroe Falls (5-5) (D1/R1)
Tallmadge (5-5) (D3/R9)
Twinsburg (5-5) (D2/R5)
Ellet (5-5) (D2/R5)
Copley (3-7) (D2/R5)
Coventry (3-7) (D3/R9)
Hudson (3-7) (D2/R5)
Firestone (3-7) (D2/R5)
Springfield (2-8) (D3/R9)
Green (1-9) (D2/R7)
Cuyahoga Falls (1-9) (D2/R5)
Kenmore-Garfield (1-9) (D2/R5)
Walsh Jesuit (0-10) (D2/R5)
North (0-10) (D3/R9)

Rank 'Em......
It seems weird that there are no D1 football teams in Summit County. Even Stark County still has 3-5 (depending on the year).
Old 02-26-19, 11:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurgood75 View Post
This sounds like more perception then reality. Has anyone ever taken the time to actually ask a player or close family member why that player chose to go back to their home school instead of ASSuming? Not every player enjoys their experience at private schools experience rather is the curriculum, travel distance, culture, athletic competitiveness, etc. Let's not pretend this doesn't work both ways. The private school is only recruiting the majority of these inner city kids who never attended a school in their diocese for athletic reasons. Kids have a right to attend a school that they are most comfortable at just like adults have the same rights in the workplace. Schools don't own the kids!!

In Akron you have to just focus on building and maintaining a winning culture the kids will come. We put waaaaay to much emphasis on high school education let's be honest. For the most part your going to redo/learn it all over again in college. Once you are a professional your high school shouldn't even be listed on your resume for educational reference anyway's if you catch my drift. Its all about who you know, experience, cultural fit, and then education.

Back to football right now Hoban, East, Barberton and Buchtel is hot in the city and thats where kids want to go for now.
I have had the players in my home, taken them on college visits and broke bread with them. So yea, I have spoken to them. Not conjecture.

I agree with a lot of what you say except not putting emphasis on high school education. It matters when talking to colleges where you went to high school. It matters unless you are a 4-5 star recruit, then they will find a way to get you there.
Old 02-26-19, 11:22 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
It seems weird that there are no D1 football teams in Summit County. Even Stark County still has 3-5 (depending on the year).
Stow is solidly D1. I agree, that it is interesting. The way that many of the school districts are split up is the cause. In many other places a number of these High Schools would be combined.
Old 02-26-19, 02:13 PM
All American

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa-k-ron1 View Post
Stow is solidly D1. I agree, that it is interesting. The way that many of the school districts are split up is the cause. In many other places a number of these High Schools would be combined.
But your districts aren't split internally, aside from APS, and they, like Canton City, have already consolidated to the extent possibble. The other districts would have to join with other districts, which is a very different proposition and highly unlikely.

Stow does seem solidly D1 though, and my apologies to them for accidentally overlooking them in the discussion. When I was young, I never would have guessed Cuyahoga Falls would be anything but in the largest school classification. It was a town full of families with kids.
Old 02-26-19, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I have had the players in my home, taken them on college visits and broke bread with them. So yea, I have spoken to them. Not conjecture.

I agree with a lot of what you say except not putting emphasis on high school education. It matters when talking to colleges where you went to high school. It matters unless you are a 4-5 star recruit, then they will find a way to get you there.
For some, the high school doesn't make a difference. For others, it opens doors to universities that then open doors into professional lives that other universities wouldn't. My kid went to an area private and got a great education that got him into a big name east coast university. The name of that east cost university on his degrees opens doors to him that an area college, like the one I attended, could never open. That's all on a non-athlete situation (which is the reality for 98% of kids).
Old 02-26-19, 03:26 PM
All Ohio

1.Hoban
2.Buchtel
3. ST.V
4. Barberton
5. East
6. Hudson
7. Nordonia
8. Mogadore
9. Stow
10. Ellet/Manchester/CVCA
Old 02-26-19, 03:55 PM
All District

chemlab is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Until the post season.
I'm sure there are plenty of teams in summit county that would love to have Woodridge's modest playoff record over the last decade.
Old 02-26-19, 05:16 PM
All American

Quote:
1.Hoban

2.Buchtel

3. ST.V

4. Barberton

5. East

6. Hudson

7. Nordonia

8. Mogadore

9. Stow

10. Ellet/Manchester/CVCA

Old 02-26-19, 05:17 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlab View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of teams in summit county that would love to have Woodridge's modest playoff record over the last decade.
Yes I can think of several.
Old 02-26-19, 08:06 PM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBulldog View Post
But your districts aren't split internally, aside from APS, and they, like Canton City, have already consolidated to the extent possibble. The other districts would have to join with other districts, which is a very different proposition and highly unlikely.

Stow does seem solidly D1 though, and my apologies to them for accidentally overlooking them in the discussion. When I was young, I never would have guessed Cuyahoga Falls would be anything but in the largest school classification. It was a town full of families with kids.

Yeah, I'm not advocating that the school districts or even suggesting that schools districts will combine. I think in other parts of the country or even state there are some districts that would no doubt be combined but North East Ohio is too provencial for that.

It still is, just about all it's growth is north of Graham Road which is in the Woodridge district.

APS hasn't consolidated to the extent possible but in the most political correct way possible.

Old 02-27-19, 10:07 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Where your list at???
Old 02-27-19, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Where your list at???
What we can expect from Buchtel Thurgood.

Any word on where Mychael Leno is headed? They'll sure miss him.
Old 02-27-19, 10:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
What we can expect from Buchtel Thurgood.

Any word on where Mychael Leno is headed? They'll sure miss him.
Buchtel has a brand new weight room and a much improved off season program because of it that I believe will translate to the field this fall especially up front. They are loaded at he skill position with a few div 1 prospects at WR, and RB but will need to develop some OL and a competent QB. Right now it will be an athlete at QB. But with city schools we have to wait and see until after the final grading period wraps up and to see if their are any eligibility casualties. Should be a good year for 1040 as things stand today.

Leno is headed to Kenyon College to play QB. They will definitely miss him and that senior class.
Old 02-27-19, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Buchtel has a brand new weight room and a much improved off season program because of it that I believe will translate to the field this fall especially up front. They are loaded at he skill position with a few div 1 prospects at WR, and RB but will need to develop some OL and a competent QB. Right now it will be an athlete at QB. But with city schools we have to wait and see until after the final grading period wraps up and to see if their are any eligibility casualties. Should be a good year for 1040 as things stand today.

Leno is headed to Kenyon College to play QB. They will definitely miss him and that senior class.
That kid is just a good old fashioned football player. I think he could have played at a higher level than Kenyon, but he can go there, play a lot and early and get a great education. Good luck to him.
Old 02-27-19, 01:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
That kid is just a good old fashioned football player. I think he could have played at a higher level than Kenyon, but he can go there, play a lot and early and get a great education. Good luck to him.
He had some bigger offers on defense but wanted to play QB and prestigious academics. Leno was a joy to watch everything that I loved about HS football in the city series.