Old 07-16-19, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
I just don't know how you convert a lot of public school kids to make the jump from public to Catholic. It seems that most public school kids they get are those looking for bigger opportunities athletically. If a kid is public school for 8 years, the smaller chance you have for them to make the jump to Catholic High School.

I think the answer is to heavily target the Catholic grade schools on the westside beyond the normal feeders. Think St. Ignatius, St. James, St. Bernard, St. Martin, St. Catharine, St. John's. Catholic schools in the Fairfield/Winton Woods/Forest Park areas.

My thought is public schools for some top athletes(won't increase enrollment a whole lot, about 10 per class). Non-traditional Catholic feeder schools to make significant increase in enrollment(30-40 per class).
Yeah, that's why this is really problematic and you need a sound strategy to get in front of communities you haven't gotten in front of before.

With pretty much everyone now accepting vouchers, Elder absolutely should now be an option for public school kids. They just have to pro-actively reach out to them and start the process of infiltrating them into the system at an early age, just like they do with the feeder kids.

But I'm telling you, the feeder families aren't gonna like it. But it's absolutely necessary. They have to start now, because it will take years to get younger kids interested and engaged in the system. The impact won't be felt for 5-10 years. If they wait too long, it will be too late.

It's going to be a long, tough road, and will likely get worse before it gets better.
Old 07-16-19, 10:01 AM
Freshman

ElderMackStud is on a distinguished road
For starters, Elder should adopt St X's approach to financial aid - St X focuses more on how much tuition you are paying as a % of your take home pay versus what Elder is doing. There are families that receive $0 from Elder but receive assistance from X and X ends up cheaper than Elder. Also Elder wants their $$ up front versus over the course of the school year and charge you 4.35% to pay which runs up the fee an extra $400.
Old 07-16-19, 10:12 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
Yeah, that's why this is really problematic and you need a sound strategy to get in front of communities you haven't gotten in front of before.

With pretty much everyone now accepting vouchers, Elder absolutely should now be an option for public school kids. They just have to pro-actively reach out to them and start the process of infiltrating them into the system at an early age, just like they do with the feeder kids.

But I'm telling you, the feeder families aren't gonna like it. But it's absolutely necessary. They have to start now, because it will take years to get younger kids interested and engaged in the system. The impact won't be felt for 5-10 years. If they wait too long, it will be too late.

It's going to be a long, tough road, and will likely get worse before it gets better.
Exactly. You don't just walk into 8th grade classrooms in Oyler, Dater, Delhi, and Bridgetown, and throw around some purple cheer and expect kids to magically say Elder is where I want to go. Most of those kids have been brainwashed to hate Elder anyway. Spending marketing dollars to public school 8th graders is a waste.

1. It has to start at the grade school levels. The Price Hill Catholic schools, the Westwood Catholic schools, and Delhi Catholic schools need to increase their enrollment. This can be done with the vouchers and better marketing/recruiting.

2. Elder needs to broaden their Catholic grade school marketing(much more aggressively) to the Lasalle/Roger Bacon/Purcell feeders. Forget about what's left of the Moeller eastside feeders(not going to have a prayer to get them) or the McNick feeders.

3. Get more involved in youth sports in the CPS areas to bring in some of the better public school athletes.

1 and 2 increase enrollment. 3 makes a small increase in enrollment and a big increase in athletic success. Greater athletic success increases enrollment and sells itself also.
Old 07-16-19, 10:21 AM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly. You don't just walk into 8th grade classrooms in Oyler, Dater, Delhi, and Bridgetown, and throw around some purple cheer and expect kids to magically say Elder is where I want to go. Most of those kids have been brainwashed to hate Elder anyway. Spending marketing dollars to public school 8th graders is a waste.

1. It has to start at the grade school levels. The Price Hill Catholic schools, the Westwood Catholic schools, and Delhi Catholic schools need to increase their enrollment. This can be done with the vouchers and better marketing/recruiting.

2. Elder needs to broaden their Catholic grade school marketing(much more aggressively) to the Lasalle/Roger Bacon/Purcell feeders. Forget about what's left of the Moeller eastside feeders(not going to have a prayer to get them) or the McNick feeders.

3. Get more involved in youth sports in the CPS areas to bring in some of the better public school athletes.

1 and 2 increase enrollment. 3 makes a small increase in enrollment and a big increase in athletic success. Greater athletic success increases enrollment and sells itself also.
I'd say #1 is really out of Elderís control and I believe most, if not all of those schools take vouchers already. #2 Theyíll probably never be a player on the east side, but Iíd still hope they work with Eastside alumni to get their kids to Elder. #3 again, thatís where a Jr Panther Football Program makes sense.
Old 07-16-19, 10:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I'd say #1 is really out of Elderís control and I believe most, if not all of those schools take vouchers already. #2 Theyíll probably never be a player on the east side, but Iíd still hope they work with Eastside alumni to get their kids to Elder. #3 again, thatís where a Jr Panther Football Program makes sense.
I think Elder has good connections/relationships with the Price Hill Catholic schools where they would be receptive to Elder's help/ideas on increasing their grade school enrollment I'm not sure about the Westwood/Delhi catholic schools, but it wouldn't hurt to knock on the door. It would be a wise investment that would eventually be realized at the high school level.

I agree. They will never be a player on the eastside. Waste of money. Go after Lasalle/Roger Bacon/Purcell feeders aggressively.

Yes, junior football teams would certainly get their foot in the door. Needs to happen.
Old 07-16-19, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

If their current little Panther teams were diverse, they'd be getting more diversity in their sports.

That's part of the changes I'm referring to. Get an non Elder guy to run your Little Panther programs (preferably a minority), especially one with both urban, AAU, and suburban connections. It would pay dividends in the long run with increased diversity and increased enrollment.

But I'm telling you, the establishment will NEVER let this happen. Guaranteed.

I'm all for a Little Panther football program, but if it's run by a former player connected to the establishment, it will be nothing but a feeder kid all-star team (as is the case with every other little Panther team). That's pointless as those kids are already going to Elder.
Old 07-16-19, 11:52 AM
All World

Quote:
If their current little Panther teams were diverse, they'd be getting more diversity in their sports.

That's part of the changes I'm referring to. Get an non Elder guy to run your Little Panther programs, especially one with both urban, AAU, and suburban connections. It would pay dividends in the long run with increased diversity and increased enrollment.

But I'm telling you, the establishment will NEVER let this happen. Guaranteed.

I'm all for a Little Panther football program, but if it's run by a former player connected to the establishment, it will be nothing but a feeder kid all-star team (as is the case with every other little Panther team). That's pointless as those kids are already going to Elder.
I agree, a Feeder all star team would be pointless and counterproductive. I would hope itís set up similar to the Tower Titans.
Old 07-16-19, 12:04 PM
All American

Please don't name it "Westside (insert the blank)". That is really tired and not inclusive. Why does every sports team on the Westside have to be named "Westside" something.
Old 07-16-19, 12:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Please don't name it "Westside (insert the blank)". That is really tired and not inclusive. Why does every sports team on the Westside have to be named "Westside" something.
Get the team formed before worrying about the name.
Old 07-16-19, 01:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderMackStud View Post
For starters, Elder should adopt St X's approach to financial aid - St X focuses more on how much tuition you are paying as a % of your take home pay versus what Elder is doing. There are families that receive $0 from Elder but receive assistance from X and X ends up cheaper than Elder. Also Elder wants their $$ up front versus over the course of the school year and charge you 4.35% to pay which runs up the fee an extra $400.
This is interesting. So you're saying Elder expects most families to pay $12,000 all at once, or over $20,000 if they have multiple kids? How can they realistically expect that?

Is that fee like a credit card or bank fee?

Does Elder use a third party to decide on who gets aid or do they do it themselves? St X?
Old 07-16-19, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:

Get an non Elder guy to run your Little Panther programs (preferably a minority), especially one with both urban, AAU, and suburban connections. It would pay dividends in the long run with increased diversity and increased enrollment.
If they were ever to create a team this is the path they absolutely should take. Anything else would be pointless and likely hurt more than help. As much as it's needed I'd be shocked if a team like this were ever created.
Old 07-16-19, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
This is interesting. So you're saying Elder expects most families to pay $12,000 all at once, or over $20,000 if they have multiple kids? How can they realistically expect that?

Is that fee like a credit card or bank fee?

Does Elder use a third party to decide on who gets aid or do they do it themselves? St X?
Hopefully they don't use FACTS like some of the grade schools do. They are a huge scam. The fees with them are outrageous and never ending.
Old 07-16-19, 01:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
If they were ever to create a team this is the path they absolutely should take. Anything else would be pointless and likely hurt more than help. As much as it's needed I'd be shocked if a team like this were ever created.
Iíd be lying if I thought it was going to happen any time soon. The only realistic possibility is the GCYL disbanding and more grade schools drop Football.
Old 07-16-19, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Iíd be lying if I thought it was going to happen any time soon. The only realistic possibility is the GCYL disbanding and more grade schools drop Football.
I could see that happening down the road but if that happened it would just be a feeder school all-star team which wouldn't push the needle at all or open any new doors.
Old 07-16-19, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
I could see that happening down the road but if that happened it would just be a feeder school all-star team which wouldn't push the needle at all or open any new doors.
The little Panther teams were a great idea at the onset years ago. Get kids together, get them in the gym/on the field, and make them better. I think their intentions were pure in thinking it would create a better basketball and baseball program at Elder.

One of the unintended consequences with the way they are run is that it's closing more doors than it is opening, and I think that's a shame.
Old 07-16-19, 02:16 PM
All American

Quote:
The little Panther teams were a great idea at the onset years ago. Get kids together, get them in the gym/on the field, and make them better. I think their intentions were pure in thinking it would create a better basketball and baseball program at Elder.

One of the unintended consequences with the way they are run is that it's closing more doors than it is opening, and I think that's a shame.
Getting the best players together for basketball was much needed. The kids making each other better, building chemistry, playing against other top teams. That is a good thing. I have no idea how they pick or form this team, but I would hope they would be open to taking on kids not from Visitation, Victory, etc. Still, even if every single kid is from the usual Catholic feeder schools, it is still a good thing in that they are practicing and training together. Spare me your politics argument. We've all heard it over and over again.
Old 07-16-19, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Getting the best players together for basketball was much needed. The kids making each other better, building chemistry, playing against other top teams. That is a good thing. I have no idea how they pick or form this team, but I would hope they would be open to taking on kids not from Visitation, Victory, etc. Still, even if every single kid is from the usual Catholic feeder schools, it is still a good thing in that they are practicing and training together. Spare me your politics argument. We've all heard it over and over again.
Completely agree, but if you don't think this is part of why they can't recruit minority or public athletes to play there, which I think it is, well, you can't have it both ways.

You can't say you want diversity, then side-step things they've done to limit it.
Old 07-16-19, 03:41 PM
Freshman

From Elder's website

All tuition is processed through FACTS Tuition Management;
Pay tuition in full by June 10;
Or make equal payments over 10 months, July-April. Finance charge of 4.35% is added to the total balance and split over the 10 monthly payments;
Three monthly payment dates from which to choose: 5th, 15th, 20th
Old 07-16-19, 03:54 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Part of the Parrish culture and reasons why families belong to a Parrish is for the sports. Say what you want but every grade school does it top notch on Saturdays during the fall for football - you want to keep that environment. Good for the Parrish & good for the sport.

Plus with forming an "All Star" team, grant it if it is independent coaching or Elder, there will be politics - keep the football at the grade school level and keep as many involved as possible. The "Friday Night Lights" mystique isn't what it used to be. Kids (& parents) will move on to the next sport/activity then they are gone for good.
Old 07-16-19, 04:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Part of the Parrish culture and reasons why families belong to a Parrish is for the sports. Say what you want but every grade school does it top notch on Saturdays during the fall for football - you want to keep that environment. Good for the Parrish & good for the sport.

Plus with forming an "All Star" team, grant it if it is independent coaching or Elder, there will be politics - keep the football at the grade school level and keep as many involved as possible. The "Friday Night Lights" mystique isn't what it used to be. Kids (& parents) will move on to the next sport/activity then they are gone for good.
The Feeder Schools flat out don’t have the talent to keep Elder competitive. So if those kids quit Football, who cares? Things are different, Westside grade school rivalries don’t mean anything anymore. All that matters is Elder.
Old 07-16-19, 04:53 PM
Freshman

Quote:
The Feeder Schools flat out donít have the talent to keep Elder competitive. So if those kids quit Football, who cares? Things are different, Westside grade school rivalries donít mean anything anymore. All that matters is Elder.
?????? - Parrish viability is the key to maintaining the enrollment at Elder/Seton. The football experience is second to none, coaching is great. Need to keep people excited about the Parrish experience.
Old 07-16-19, 06:47 PM
All World

Quote:
?????? - Parrish viability is the key to maintaining the enrollment at Elder/Seton. The football experience is second to none, coaching is great. Need to keep people excited about the Parrish experience.
That’s all fine, but it shouldn’t keep them from starting a Jr Panther Program. Also, the experience isn’t any good if the product is bad.

There’s also too many parish people that don’t understand or care about how much the game has changed. You can’t worry about upsetting people who are stuck in the past. I guarantee you, if Elder wins, they’ll show up.

Last edited by Omar; 07-16-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:29 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The majority of Westside Parishes have seen a pretty good decline in enrollment over the last 5 yrs? Seton has seen pretty good numbers the last few years? How many different Schools does Seton get girls from, feeder and non feeder?
Old 07-17-19, 07:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
The majority of Westside Parishes have seen a pretty good decline in enrollment over the last 5 yrs? Seton has seen pretty good numbers the last few years? How many different Schools does Seton get girls from, feeder and non feeder?
Itís hard to make that comparison with Mercy closing. However, Iíd be shocked if the proportional makeup wasnít close to Elder.
Old 07-17-19, 10:34 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know the answer, but Mercy closing means Elder and Seton should have approximately the same number of students annually.
Old 07-18-19, 08:44 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seton always had a smaller base. It was the same as Elder's minus Lourdes, Vis and Jude. They basically picked those up when Mercy closed.
Closed Thread