Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
They shouldn’t be buyers.
Agreed
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-19, 07:59 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
I don't think you're going to see either. If they get an offer for someone they can't refuse (Puig, Roark, Iglesias, another reliever) than they may move someone, but I don't see any major changes.

Big win last night. The Cubs were very sloppy on defense and the Reds capitalized on that, and the wind blowing out at Wrigley.

Castillo could be a very special pitcher, he's the best we've had since Cueto's heyday.
Old 07-16-19, 11:39 AM
All American

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Agree with IndianDad - I think the Reds will wait another 2 weeks before deciding, the current stretch of games decides for them. Go 8-7 or worse, and it is definitely "sell" time. But, if they do something crazy like win 6 of 7 from the Cubs and Cards this week, and get within 2-3 games of first place, the fan base starts to get excited and it is tough to justify a sell.

If it happens, who do we sell?
1) I really hope Scooter starts hitting like right now. First, it helps the team win, but just as importantly it gets his value back up to where it should be. I like the guy, but re-signing him seems unlikely, and to me he would be the first guy to be traded this summer. Reds can still compete this summer with Peraza/Dietrich platoon at 2B, so if we can get something for him, I'd trade him.

2) Puig and Roark might be next in line, both seem unlikely to be sign-able. But I want to keep them as long as the Reds still are within spitting distance of the division lead. And I truly hope we make an offer to Puig for his next contract. I like him a lot.

Nobody will be knocking down the door for J. Iglesias. He has been good for the Reds, but most every contending team doesn't need a good glove SS who hits .280 with little power. Ditto Ervin. He has had a nice couple of weeks, but he is no better than 4th or 5th OF on a contender.
Old 07-16-19, 01:48 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Agree with IndianDad - I think the Reds will wait another 2 weeks before deciding, the current stretch of games decides for them. Go 8-7 or worse, and it is definitely "sell" time. But, if they do something crazy like win 6 of 7 from the Cubs and Cards this week, and get within 2-3 games of first place, the fan base starts to get excited and it is tough to justify a sell.

1) I really hope Scooter starts hitting like right now. First, it helps the team win, but just as importantly it gets his value back up to where it should be. I like the guy, but re-signing him seems unlikely, and to me he would be the first guy to be traded this summer. Reds can still compete this summer with Peraza/Dietrich platoon at 2B, so if we can get something for him, I'd trade him.

2) Puig and Roark might be next in line, both seem unlikely to be sign-able. But I want to keep them as long as the Reds still are within spitting distance of the division lead. And I truly hope we make an offer to Puig for his next contract. I like him a lot.

Nobody will be knocking down the door for J. Iglesias. He has been good for the Reds, but most every contending team doesn't need a good glove SS who hits .280 with little power. Ditto Ervin. He has had a nice couple of weeks, but he is no better than 4th or 5th OF on a contender.
I could see teams like Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cleveland even Pittsburgh wanting a guy like Ervin especially if they have an injury to replace. He is young enough at 27 to have some upside but most importantly he is controllable and very cheap. I'm not how much he could bring back. He would likely be a part of a larger package deal I would guess.

Jose Iglesias is very different as he would be a rental and could certainly add some depth (cheaply) for a contender with a need at SS.
Old 07-16-19, 02:07 PM
All World

Quote:

Reds have two choices with Scooter, and neither is great...
1. just release him, allow him to go play for another team, it opens up 2nd base to allow Dietrich, Farmer, Peraza to play more, like before.
2. keep him through the end of the season and play him if he's producing. I don't think he's anywhere near 100% and he may not get there. Reds are trying to take a flyer on him. I really don't think any team's going to offer anything for him. He was an all star last year and healthy and no one offered much for him.
Old 07-16-19, 02:16 PM
All World

Quote:

Completely agree on Puig and Roark...we're in that weird spot where Puig is really has the most trade value of anyone we have, yet it's hard to let him go. I don't know that the Reds are going to pony up the coin to keep him. Someone else will be able to offer more. I like him, I like the energy he brings to the team, but it's going to come down to him and how much money does he want.
As for Roark...he would be a great addition, even to a couple of teams in our division (Milwaukee for one). He's a class act, takes the ball every 5th day and gives you a good solid start. He's not a #1 or #2, but he's a solid, solid #3, #4 starter.
Iglesias...for a 29 year old, GREAT glove, adequate bat guy, he's a bargain. Iglesias is only making $2.5 mill. He's had nearly as good of year as he could have. Unless someone wants to give us alot for him, I'd consider trying to keep him moving forward. He's an upgrade defensively and offensively at short stop. Peraza's value is going to be his versatility for this team, or any subsequent teams.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: