Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-18, 06:29 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,191
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
History Channel

I am not a big fan of the History Channel as I am not into pawn shops, yard sales, or Nazi aliens, but I have been very impressed with a new series produced by Leonardo DiCaprio. The Men Who Built America - Frontiersman is, all in all a fine history series. The series is half way through but I believe that it is worth looking up and watching in its entirety. The handling of figures like Boone, Jackson and especially Tecumseh is impressive. I have only noticed a few inaccuracies. While there is not a coonskin cap in sight, they do have Boone and Crocket carrying muskets rather than rifles and I did see a couple percussion cap rifles in scenes where they had not yet been invented. The only inaccuracy I have seen in the narrative has been a reference to Jackson recruiting "river pirates" to augment his troops at the Battle of New Oleans when in fact, the crews of Jean Lafeate's pirate ships (not river pirates) did serve with Jackson at that battle.

It is a very worthwhile series.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-28-18, 07:46 AM
4cards 4cards is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-20-11
Location: The Yo!
Posts: 1,812
4cards will become famous soon enough
...I like watching the History Channel for a few selected shows. I agree with you about Men Who Built America & only saw (1) night of the Frontiersman...good so far. I guess the only other show I like to watch on the HC is Forged in Fire. I wish I could make some of the knives and swords these guys forge in just a few hours.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-18, 08:57 AM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Posts: 9,695
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Vikings was the last thing I watched on there. And that show turned into a dumpster fire after killing off it's best character. Imagine that.

The rest of the reality TV stuff they show chased me off.

I miss the days when it was all about Nazis and aliens.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-18, 08:57 AM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 23,768
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am not a big fan of the History Channel as I am not into pawn shops, yard sales, or Nazi aliens, but I have been very impressed with a new series produced by Leonardo DiCaprio. The Men Who Built America - Frontiersman is, all in all a fine history series. The series is half way through but I believe that it is worth looking up and watching in its entirety. The handling of figures like Boone, Jackson and especially Tecumseh is impressive. I have only noticed a few inaccuracies. While there is not a coonskin cap in sight, they do have Boone and Crocket carrying muskets rather than rifles and I did see a couple percussion cap rifles in scenes where they had not yet been invented. The only inaccuracy I have seen in the narrative has been a reference to Jackson recruiting "river pirates" to augment his troops at the Battle of New Oleans when in fact, the crews of Jean Lafeate's pirate ships (not river pirates) did serve with Jackson at that battle.

It is a very worthwhile series.
Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-18, 09:05 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,423
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Ice Road Truckers was awesome, not sure if it's even on anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-18, 09:07 AM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,423
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Discovery Channel used to have interesting content but now it's all trash outside of Deadliest Catch. Not sure how people can watch those horrendous faux reality shows.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-18, 10:31 AM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Location: Tir Na Nog
Posts: 680
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am not a big fan of the History Channel as I am not into pawn shops, yard sales, or Nazi aliens, but I have been very impressed with a new series produced by Leonardo DiCaprio. The Men Who Built America - Frontiersman.

It is a very worthwhile series.
I've enjoyed it so far. I also like Forged in Fire and Vikings. Not much on there after that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-18, 12:15 PM
IamToz15 IamToz15 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-07-18
Posts: 193
IamToz15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
I miss the days when it was all about Nazis and aliens.
Agree.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-18, 02:50 PM
domi domi is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-06-16
Posts: 786
domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
Ice Road Truckers was awesome, not sure if it's even on anymore.
I remember watching some new episodes last fall but a lot of the truckers were guys/gals I didn't recognize.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-18, 02:57 PM
domi domi is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-06-16
Posts: 786
domi is on a distinguished road
The Men who Built America was great the first time around and Frontiersmen is just as good. Besides Forged in Fire (which barely contains any history but oh well) it's about the only show worth watching on History Channel.

Curse of Oak Island and Civil War Gold are two of the dumbest shows I have ever watched but I keep watching just to see how dumb they can get. The reddit boards during the first run episodes of those shows are great.

The upcoming Forged in Fire spinoff looks horrible so I'll probably tune in.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-18, 02:38 AM
nupanther nupanther is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-24-10
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 773
nupanther is on a distinguished road
I've enjoyed 'Six'- which should be back in a couple of months. Although a lot of people seemed to be turned off by their home life antics
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-18, 09:53 AM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,191
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi View Post
Curse of Oak Island and Civil War Gold are two of the dumbest shows I have ever watched but I keep watching just to see how dumb they can get. The reddit boards during the first run episodes of those shows are great.
Believe it or not, I remember reading the same Reader's Digest article that inspired the Lagina to go to Oak Island. It was in my dentist's office way back in 1965. I too dreamed of going there to search and the memory stayed with me all these years. The show itself is hokey with the unbelievable theories of Templars and Shakspearian folios, but the quest itself is very real and quite compelling. The dumbest thing is the whole "curse" idea. At no time in all these years have they documented any history of people claiming that there was a curse and that "the Island must claim one more life before the treasure can be found". BS. The facts as I believe them to be is that there was a Oak Island treasure and it had been found centuries ago. The show is compelling, even with all of the stupid distractions.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-04-18, 09:58 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 2,360
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I've watched the first two episodes and will watch the others when I get around to it.

It's interesting, but a little slow.

Some of it is just painfully incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-05-18, 01:22 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,668
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I've watched the first two episodes and will watch the others when I get around to it.

It's interesting, but a little slow.

Some of it is just painfully incorrect.
Agree it is pretty slow. Also thought it was funny they had a 17 year old Indian girl as the guide and therefore at the front of the exploration party for Lewis and Clark. Just willing to bet those who studied the maps (Lewis and Clark) made the ultimate decisions of what route to take over the Rockies. Having her up front serves great political correctness purposes, but she still could have led from behind. Have I heard that somewhere?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-05-18, 04:23 PM
Purplemojo Purplemojo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-20-08
Posts: 3,191
Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I've watched the first two episodes and will watch the others when I get around to it.

It's interesting, but a little slow.

Some of it is just painfully incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Agree it is pretty slow. Also thought it was funny they had a 17 year old Indian girl as the guide and therefore at the front of the exploration party for Lewis and Clark. Just willing to bet those who studied the maps (Lewis and Clark) made the ultimate decisions of what route to take over the Rockies. Having her up front serves great political correctness purposes, but she still could have led from behind. Have I heard that somewhere?

Over the six episode season, I saw half a dozen glaring errors. That, sadly, is not bad for a TV documentary. As far as Sacagawea is concerned, I believe that having her up front was accurate, at least for most of the trip. Remember her purpose was to guide them (much of the territory was though the land she lived in as a child), to translate for them with all of the Plains Tribes, and to make the point that this was not a war party, as they had a woman and baby travelling with them. All of those goals were aided by having her out front.

That is reality, not PC. In fact I learned it in school so long ago that PC was not yet an issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Greatest Throw in Wrestling History bdhof Wrestling 37 03-27-18 10:39 AM
Greatest Week in Ohio Wrestling History Bigtimewrestling Wrestling 7 03-08-18 02:01 PM
Basketball HustleTV Cincinnati High School Hoops Channel gav Boys Basketball 0 02-09-18 06:27 PM
Belmont vs Dunbar 12/12 History???? BelmontBison Boys Basketball 15 12-14-17 03:11 PM
Honorary Date in history Arrogate General Board 36 05-25-17 11:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz