Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-24-18, 09:03 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
The Greatest Throw in Wrestling History

All of you old guys know exactly where this is going. For all you newbies, this is often, and correctly, dubbed the greatest throw in wrestling history.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-18, 09:05 AM
All World

Dubbed "The greatest throw in wrestling history," West Germany’s Wilfred Dietrich, who weighed in at 287, suplayed USA’s Chris Taylor, who weighed around 444 pounds, resulting in a pin at the 1972 Olympics.

Here's what preceded that throw: “I was about four feet away when it happened,” said Jim Peckham, assistant coach of the freestyle team. “It was about five to ten minutes before their match and Dietrich came up to Chris and said ‘Chris, it’s so good to see you.’ Instead of a handshake, he gave him a big hug. I tried to step in to stop it but was too late. I think he was doing it to see if he could get his arms around Chris to attempt a throw.” He could and he did.

And now you know (pause) the rest of the story. Good day.
Old 03-24-18, 09:11 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Video of it....

Old 03-24-18, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
I've heard that story too... As well as with the touch fall as it was ruled then, Dietrich was pinned on contact (no control/offensive judgement then)... The official has been quoted as saying he saw it, but was so impressed he called the way he did.... Could be urban legend though
Old 03-24-18, 09:39 AM
Varsity

Zibroman
2012 Gresham vs Evans I was on the floor as an official but not for this match. Definitely an awesome claw lift to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-18, 09:42 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
That USA team was loaded........ 1972 - Munich, Germany

Sergio Gonzales1972 (Munich, Germany) 105.5 lbs.7th
Jimmy Carr1972 (Munich, Germany) 114.5 lbs.dnp
Rick Sanders1972 (Munich, Germany) 125.5 lbs.2nd
Gene Davis1972 (Munich, Germany) 136.5 lbs.dnp
Dan Gable1972 (Munich, Germany) 149.5 lbs.1st
Wayne Wells1972 (Munich, Germany) 163 lbs.1st
John Peterson1972 (Munich, Germany) 180.5 lbs.2nd
Ben Peterson1972 (Munich, Germany) 198 lbs.1st
Henk Schenk1972 (Munich, Germany) 220 lbs.dnp
Chris Taylor1972 (Munich, Germany) HWT3rd
Old 03-24-18, 09:58 AM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
Meh. Louden Swain’s was better.
Old 03-24-18, 10:10 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post

The Soviet Union won the (unofficial) team title at those games with 4 golds, 2 silvers and a bronze.

And one of the more interesting stories of that group (that is not focused on Dan Gable) is about the youngest US wrestler to ever compete in the Olympics, Jimmy Carr, at 17 years of age. He had competed in the World Championships a year earlier at age 16. He was the first true phenom in wrestling. Everyone who new wrestling back then knew Jimmy Carr. He did not have the success in college that many expected, but did AA (5th). He had four brothers who AA'ed as well, with 3X NCAA Champ Nate (as in dad of David Carr) being the most successful. Nate would go on to get a Bronze in the 88 Olympics. Sadly, Jimmy died at age 58 due to complications of an automobile accident.

Last edited by bdhof; 03-24-18 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-24-18, 12:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
[/B]The Soviet Union won the (unofficial) team title at those games with 4 golds, 2 silvers and a bronze.

And one of the more interesting stories of that group (that is not focused on Dan Gable) is about the youngest US wrestler to ever compete in the Olympics, Jimmy Carr, at 17 years of age. He had competed in the World Championships a year earlier at age 16. He was the first true phenom in wrestling. Everyone who new wrestling back then knew Jimmy Carr. He did not have the success in college that many expected, but did AA (5th). He had four brothers who AA'ed as well, with 3X NCAA Champ Nate (as in dad of David Carr) being the most successful. Nate would go on to get a Bronze in the 88 Olympics. Sadly, Jimmy died at age 58 due to complications of an automobile accident.
Of course the Soviet Union back then was still the Soviet Union as opposed to Russia and multiple other smaller countries with outstanding wrestlers. My guess is there were many Olympic medalists sitting on the bench for the Soviets!

And Rick Sanders was one of the more interesting characters on that team.... he marched to the beat of a different drummer!
Old 03-24-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Of course the Soviet Union back then was still the Soviet Union as opposed to Russia and multiple other smaller countries with outstanding wrestlers. My guess is there were many Olympic medalists sitting on the bench for the Soviets!

And Rick Sanders was one of the more interesting characters on that team.... he marched to the beat of a different drummer!

Rick Sanders - Gold medalist in 1969 World Championships, finishing second at the 1968 and 1972 Olympics and 1967 World Championships. After the 1972 Olympics, while traveling to Greece, he was killed in a car accident in Skopje, Yugoslavia.
Old 03-24-18, 01:56 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Some great great Greco throws. Quite a few Jap Whizzers/arm spins that were all the rage a few weeks ago on Yappi and may have, "revolutionized HVY wrestling."

Old 03-24-18, 02:40 PM
All District

cvwrestle is on a distinguished road
Old 03-24-18, 02:52 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bdhof;7017576]The Soviet Union won the (unofficial) team title at those games with 4 golds, 2 silvers and a bronze.

And one of the more interesting stories of that group (that is not focused on Dan Gable) is about the youngest US wrestler to ever compete in the Olympics, Jimmy Carr, at 17 years of age. He had competed in the World Championships a year earlier at age 16. He was the first true phenom in wrestling. Everyone who new wrestling back then knew Jimmy Carr. He did not have the success in college that many expected, but did AA (5th). He had four brothers who AA'ed as well, with 3X NCAA Champ Nate (as in dad of David Carr) being the most successful. Nate would go on to get a Bronze in the 88 Olympics. Sadly, Jimmy died at age 58 due to complications of an automobile accident.[/Q

Thanks for the history enlightenment. An interesting thread would be deep wrestling families.
Old 03-24-18, 07:52 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Just for clarification - this is the freestyle team. Taylor was pinned with the suplay in the Greco match - he wrestled both FS and GR. He beat out Univ. of Toledo's Wojociehowski (sp?) for both spots - and also beat Wojo, who was the defending NCAA champ for the NCAA heavyweight title in 1972

A few other things I remember about that team:

Jimmy Carr cut a lot of weight to get to 114. A lot of weight. First time I heard the expression that he was "spitting cotton"

Richard Sanders won the silver medal then was killed in an auto accident just over a month after the Olympics. He stayed in Europe after the Olympics to do some sight-seeing, climb mountains, etc. He was pretty much a free spirit and a quasi-hippie from Oregon.

The wrestling matches took place after the killings of the Israeli team members. Can never forget the reporting on that by Jim McKay "..they're all gone.."

Gable made his statement by winning gold after losing the last match of his wrestling career at Iowa State. Would have been a 3X national champ (was not eligible to wrestle as a freshman). Had no losses in HS or college to that point.

My favorite wrestler on that team was 163-pounder Wayne Wells. He pretty much dominated every one - at least that is what I remember. Was a take-down machine.

Not sure but I think the Peterson brothers went gold (Ben) and bronze (Jon), then they reversed it in 1976 going bronze (Ben) and gold (Jon).

Edit: looked it up and Ben actually got a silver in 1976 and Jon did get the gold. And of course, the "Peterson" was named after the roll created by Ben Peterson.

And then I also missed that sombody else had written about Sanders. I responded to the team line-up before I saw all the posts.
Old 03-24-18, 08:38 PM
Varsity

Takedown02 is on a distinguished road
Old 03-24-18, 08:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
Just for clarification - this is the freestyle team. Taylor was pinned with the suplay in the Greco match - he wrestled both FS and GR. He beat out Univ. of Toledo's Wojociehowski (sp?) for both spots - and also beat Wojo, who was the defending NCAA champ for the NCAA heavyweight title in 1972

Jimmy Carr cut a lot of weight to get to 114. A lot of weight. First time I heard the expression that he was "spitting cotton"

Richard Sanders won the silver medal then was killed in an auto accident just over a month after the Olympics. He stayed in Europe after the Olympics to do some sight-seeing, climb mountains, etc. He was pretty much a free spirit and a quasi-hippie from Oregon.

The wrestling matches took place after the killings of the Israeli team members. Can never forget the reporting on that by Jim McKay "..they're all gone.."

Gable made his statement by winning gold after losing the last match of his wrestling career at Iowa State. Would have been a 3X national champ (was not eligible to wrestle as a freshman). Had no losses in HS or college to that point.

My favorite wrestler on that team was 163-pounder Wayne Wells. He pretty much dominated every one - at least that is what I remember. Was a take-down machine.

Not sure but I think the Peterson brothers went gold (Ben) and bronze (Jon), then they reversed it in 1976 going bronze (Ben) and gold (Jon).

Edit: looked it up and Ben actually got a silver in 1976 and Jon did get the gold. And of course, the "Peterson" was named after the roll created by Ben Peterson.

And then I also missed that sombody else had written about Sanders. I responded to the team line-up before I saw all the posts.
Good call on the Greco match as opposed to freestyle.
So here's your USA Greco roster for 1972 Olympic Games....

Wayne Holmes1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 105.5 lbs.dnp
James Steiger1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 114.5 lbs.dnp
David Hazewinkel1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 125.5 lbs.dnp
James Hazewinkel1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 136.5 lbs.dnp
Robert Buzzard1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 149.5 lbs.dnp
Gary Neist1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 163 lbs.dnp
J Robinson1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 180.5 lbs.dnp
Wayne Baughman1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 198 lbs.dnp
Buck Deadrich1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 220 lbs.dnp
Chris Taylor1972 (Munich, Germany)

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 03-25-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-18, 09:50 PM
Varsity

RandyLoathsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post

Unfortunately, the Peterson Bros ran into Levan Tediashvili, from Soviet Georgia, in consecutive Olympics. He beat John in 72 and Ben in 76. I remember Ben's final in 76, where he gave Teddy a tough match. Ironically, he kept reversing Teddy with a switch, which should never work in Freestyle (you can lock hands), especially the elite level. Dan Gable said that he considered Teddy the greatest wrestler of all time. Not sure if he still does- but he's pretty much the best from that era.
Old 03-24-18, 09:55 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Good call on the Greco match as opposed to freestyle.
So here's your USA Greco roster for 1972 Olympic Games...
Wayne Holmes1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 105.5 lbs.dnp
James Steiger1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 114.5 lbs.dnp
David Hazewinkel1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 125.5 lbs.dnp
James Hazewinkel1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 136.5 lbs.dnp
Robert Buzzard1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 149.5 lbs.dnp
Gary Neist1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 163 lbs.dnp
J Robinson1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 180.5 lbs.dnp
Wayne Baughman1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 198 lbs.dnp
Buck Deadrich1972 (Munich, Germany)GR 220 lbs.dnp
Chris Taylor1972 (Munich, Germany)

My High school wrestling coach was an Olympic alternate for Greco Roman during the 1964 Olympics, while he was still in HS. I used to tease him "that making the USA Greco team doesn't impress me. There are 3 things certain in life, death, taxes, and the USA won't medal in Greco- Roman." After seeing all of the DNP's in 72, I was pretty spot on with that little dig. At least back then (60's and 70's) we were pretty bad in Greco.
Old 03-24-18, 11:44 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post
My High school wrestling coach was an Olympic alternate for Greco Roman during the 1964 Olympics, while he was still in HS. I used to tease him "that making the USA Greco team doesn't impress me. There are 3 things certain in life, death, taxes, and the USA won't medal in Greco- Roman." After seeing all of the DNP's in 72, I was pretty spot on with that little dig. At least back then (60's and 70's) we were pretty bad in Greco.
Tease him? More like disrespecting an adult and Olympian.

I’m not impressed with your story.

What was your greatest accomplishment?
Old 03-25-18, 01:20 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Tease him? More like disrespecting an adult and Olympian.

I’m not impressed with your story.

What was your greatest accomplishment?

What, are you just trolling ? You don't know me or my coach. FYI I had a great relationship with my coach in HS, and still do to this day (he's in his 70's). As if I'd seriously knock a guy who was an Olympic alternate. My greatest athletic accomplishment ? Made it to state in wrestling and played D-I college football. Certainly not on his level, but better than most.

Last edited by RandyLoathsome; 03-25-18 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-25-18, 07:55 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
bdhof,

Awesome post, remember it well!! Actually had this poster hanging on my closet door for a while at my parents house.

Urban legend stated that the West Germany injured his neck on this throw and could not continue in the tourney. Not sure that was true but is a story I heard.

Great thread, brings back lots of memories of days gone by.

Coach McCoy
Old 03-25-18, 08:28 AM
All Region

Lucksman is an unknown quantity at this point
In the World of Ohio Wrestling. Haring throwing Cianciola. I am not 101
Old 03-25-18, 09:38 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Old 03-25-18, 10:24 AM
All World

Some more interesting stories about that 1970s era...Rick Sanders was the only guy (per urban legend) ever to shut out the great Dan Gable. Among other losses the great Dan Gable ever had, Ohio's Leroy Kemp and Bobby Douglas both are among the handful of wrestlers ever to beat him.
Old 03-25-18, 10:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Some more interesting stories about that 1970s era...Rick Sanders was the only guy (per urban legend) ever to shut out the great Dan Gable. Among other losses the great Dan Gable ever had, Ohio's Leroy Kemp and Bobby Douglas both are among the handful of wrestlers ever to beat him.
From oregonlive.com........

Sanders went a remarkable 103-2 during his wrestling career at Portland State. He won silver medals in the 1968 and 1972 Olympic Games, and was the first American wrestler to win a world freestyle championship when he claimed the crown in 1968. He was a four-time member of the USA AAU world wrestling team, and won four national championships between NAIA and NCAA affiliations. He went on a steak of 65 consecutive dual meet wins, 48 of which were won via fall. He was 40-2 during NAIA and NCAA tournament matches.

Sanders was the only wrestler in history to shut out 1972 Olympic gold medalist Dan Gable in a match. Sanders beat Gable 6-0 in the semifinals at the 1967 AAU National Championships.
Old 03-25-18, 10:39 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLoathsome View Post
Funny story..... and some on here have no sense of humor!
Old 03-25-18, 10:40 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Funny story..... and some on here have no sense of humor!
Agreed. Some do look to jump.
Old 03-25-18, 10:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Dubbed "The greatest throw in wrestling history," West Germany’s Wilfred Dietrich, who weighed in at 287, suplayed USA’s Chris Taylor, who weighed around 444 pounds, resulting in a pin at the 1972 Olympics.

Here's what preceded that throw: “I was about four feet away when it happened,” said Jim Peckham, assistant coach of the freestyle team. “It was about five to ten minutes before their match and Dietrich came up to Chris and said ‘Chris, it’s so good to see you.’ Instead of a handshake, he gave him a big hug. I tried to step in to stop it but was too late. I think he was doing it to see if he could get his arms around Chris to attempt a throw.” He could and he did.

And we thought Kyle Snyder had it rough giving up 60 pounds to Adam Coon!
Old 03-25-18, 10:53 AM
All World

Quote:
From oregonlive.com........

Sanders went a remarkable 103-2 during his wrestling career at Portland State. He won silver medals in the 1968 and 1972 Olympic Games, and was the first American wrestler to win a world freestyle championship when he claimed the crown in 1968. He was a four-time member of the USA AAU world wrestling team, and won four national championships between NAIA and NCAA affiliations. He went on a steak of 65 consecutive dual meet wins, 48 of which were won via fall. He was 40-2 during NAIA and NCAA tournament matches.

Sanders was the only wrestler in history to shut out 1972 Olympic gold medalist Dan Gable in a match. Sanders beat Gable 6-0 in the semifinals at the 1967 AAU National Championships.
Fake news. Sanders was not the first to win a World Freestyle Gold, although, his title in 1969 was the first since 1960 (Doug Blubaugh, Terry McCann and Shelby Wilson).
Old 03-25-18, 11:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Fake news. Sanders was not the first to win a World Freestyle Gold, although, his title in 1969 was the first since 1960 (Doug Blubaugh, Terry McCann and Shelby Wilson).
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I should have never questioned the infallibility of the Pope. Upon further research I have discovered that Pope Francis 1 was correct in stating that Sanders was the first US World freestyle champion. Modern day Olympic freestyle championships began in 1904. The USA swept the first games crowning all seven weights with Gold medals. However, the World Champinships, held in non Olympic years didn't start until 1951. And USA failed to win a World Gold in the non Olympic games from 1951 thru 1967. USA also failed to win a Gold in the 1964 and 1968 Olympic games. So, Rick Sanders was the first USA World Champion, as the Pope declared. Also winning a Gold in those games was USA's Fred Fozzard at 82kg. Since Sanders won his title at 52kg (and likely competed before Fozzard), he became USA's first World freestlye champion.