Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-07-17, 05:46 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
The strength of this Sycamore team is their defense. I think you can throw out all of Sycamore's performances against Loveland, Mt. Healthy, Middletown, Oak Hills, Hamilton, Lakota East (they had like half their team suspended for the Sycamore game), and Princeton (game played in a driving rain) as those teams could not sniff X's level and focus on Sycamore's performances in their remaining games.

The best performance for the Sycamore defense was their regular season game against Mason. The Aves defense effectively pitched a shutout in that game (the time stamps on the two 4th Q TDs should be switched as Harris ran it in with 1 second left), bottling up Matt Sora and intercepting Mason quarterbacks 3 times (with a 4th INT somehow ruled incomplete). Mason could not attack Sycamore to the edge with their run game and could not push the ball vertically with their quarterbacks. Sycamore stacked between the tackles and jumped short routes and played a great game. They finished the game allowing 5.02 ypp, with the 3 INT proving crucial.

Two other notable defensive performances for Sycamore are their losses to Colerain and Fairfield. Against Colerain, the Sycamore defense didn't quite play as poorly as the score indicated. Sycamore threw two INT deep in their own territory that setup Colerian TDs. The Aves didn't play atrociously against Colerain's triple option, except when Colerain was able to generate a successful play that got a back to the second level, at which point Sycamore struggled with the speed of the Colerain backs. Sycamore surrendered a season high 8.24 ypp against Colerain due to the long runs. Against Fairfield, Sycamore again turned the ball over deep in their own territory to setup one of the Fairfield TDs. Outside of that, they gave up 14 points, getting gashed at times to the perimeter, but not to the point that they did against Colerain, yielding 6.51 ypp.

Finally, that brings us to the game against Milford (who runs the most similar offense to X of any team Sycamore has played), which Sycamore won 41-35 in 2 OT (28-28 after regulation). Sycamore was winning 21-7 midway through the 3rd quarter, and, up to that point in the game, they were giving up some completions but were making Milford string together drives, most of which stalled in Sycamore territory as the field compressed. Milford then completed a ricochet TD pass that deflected off two Sycamore defenders before falling into the arms of the Milford receiver in the end zone. On the next possession, the Aves completely blew a coverage, leaving a Milford receiver all by himself for a long TD. The final Milford TD in regulation came as Sycamore's offense went 3 and out on two consecutive possessions late in the game with both punts failing to get into Milford territory. In all, Sycamore held Milford to 5.44 ypp, and part of their 2nd half collapse could be attributed to facing a season-high 73 plays run by Milford (Sycamore is not deep).
As a Mason Fan I was amazed by two players. Tate Goodyear and Myron Williams. Myron Williams can probably out jumpball any of the X DBs, its more of a matter if the ball gets placed there. Tate Goodyear is the heart and soul of their fronts. It is vital that he attracts double teams on defense and is able to get some movement against X's DL. But I am shocked Malek hasn't been playing more QB for Sycamore. Malek at QB let Sycamore's offense score against Mason. Tall task for the Aves but I watched some athletes in 10 weeks and those two from Sycamore stuck out more than Vann/Carman/Bolden.
Old 11-07-17, 05:53 PM
All Region

GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I hope you X fans don't mind a couple of GMC guys making comments here.
You are both adding meaningful insight. Please keep it up. I agree with your comments about their route running. I would guess that #10 is the fastest of the group and they all have very good hands.
Old 11-07-17, 07:39 PM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I hope you X fans don't mind a couple of GMC guys making comments here.
You guys got no where reputable to toot your GMC horn.
We'll let you have at it for a few more days.
But when you start playing the wrong tune you're getting the boot
Old 11-07-17, 07:48 PM
All World

Blue Rhino is on a distinguished road
Blah blah blah.............Sycamore better hope we don't play a complete game this week.
Old 11-07-17, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
You guys got no where reputable to toot your GMC horn.
We'll let you have at it for a few more days.
But when you start playing the wrong tune you're getting the boot
Actually we have the excellent GMC thread on the main football board to spout off on. Seriously though that thread has been fun because we haven't had folks engaging in the nasty bickering that plagues so many threads on Yappi.

Right now though I'm torn between attending this game and the Colerain/Mason game.
Old 11-08-17, 12:16 AM
All World

Here are my top 10 questions regarding this 2nd round matchup

1. Was Colerain the only legitimate team the Aves faced the entire season?

2. Do the Bombers have anyone that can cover Myron Williams?

3. Can the inexperienced Sycamore sophomore QB rise to the occasion?

4. Will the Aves 2 way players (Fehr, Goodyear, Son, Evans and Williams) be gassed in the 2nd half?

5. Will Wolf stick to the 60/70 formula that works every time it’s tried?

6. Will the Bombers be able to run the ball?

7. Is the Sycamore defense really better than last year despite starting a couple of sophomores?

8. Can Sycamore get their first ever victory over StX and make it an all GMC regional final?

9. Did scheduling 2 non conference patsies (Mt. Healthy and Loveland) help or hurt the Aves?

and maybe the most important question......

10. Can the Bombers win a game at Dwier field?

Where they are 0-2 having lost in 2014 to Moeller in the 3rd round 21-0 and in 2015 to Colerain in the 2nd round 42-14.
I kinda hate that place.
Old 11-08-17, 08:28 AM
Varsity

BigFatz is on a distinguished road
don't mind at all, thanks for the insight.

Side note against Iggy, in addition to playing poorly, 2 of the starting front 6 were out. Bacevich tried to go but came out after 2nd series. All 6 are available and I think healthy, or as healthy as all kids are 11 games into a season.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-17, 09:48 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Another one on the happy to have respectful football talk group. Good luck to Sycamore.

Here are a couple of questions for you guys - who do you think is more likely to win, Mason or Sycamore? What do you think the general public would consider the bigger upset?

I am asking because I frankly don't know the answer. Although I would say that I would probably consider a Sycamore or a Mason victory to be about equal in the upset category.
Old 11-08-17, 09:51 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Where they are 0-2 having lost in 2014 to Moeller in the 3rd round 21-0 and in 2015 to Colerain in the 2nd round 42-14.
I kinda hate that place.
I was about to say that this is the first time we will be on the home side, but thinking back, I guess we were on the home side in 2015 weren't we?

I went into both those games thinking we had a good shot to win (although I didn't consider us favorites in each).
Old 11-08-17, 10:58 AM
Varsity

BigFatz is on a distinguished road
LHand, I think we were on the visitor side in '15. Colerain was the higher seed as I think X went 6-4 that year, and I believe higher seeds get home side.
Old 11-08-17, 11:49 AM
All District

Footballfan1212 is on a distinguished road
I believe we were on the home side in 2014
Old 11-08-17, 01:23 PM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Common Opponents

Colerain
StX won 20-17 OT at Colerain Week 2
Sycamore lost 42-0 at Colerain Week 4

Fairfield
StX won 40-12 at StX Week 11
Sycamore lost 21-7 at Sycamore Week 6
Yeah? Well, explain:

St. X defeated Moeller 30-7 in Week 5
Moeller defeated St. Ignatius 41-20 in Week 8
St. Ignatius defeated St. X 28-14 in week 9

Then St. I knocked off St. Ed, who also defeated Moeller.

In high school football, anything is possible.
Old 11-08-17, 05:01 PM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
Common Opponents

Colerain
StX won 20-17 OT at Colerain Week 2
Sycamore lost 42-0 at Colerain Week 4

Fairfield
StX won 40-12 at StX Week 11
Sycamore lost 21-7 at Sycamore Week 6
Common Opponents from 2016

Colerain
St. Xavier lost 20-14 in OT vs. Colerain in Week 2
Sycamore lost 52-7 at Colerain in Week 5
St. Xavier won 29-23 at Colerain in Week 12

Fairfield
Sycamore lost 35-27 at Fairfield in Week 6
St. Xavier won 35-14 at Fairfield in Week 11

Actual Game: St. Xavier beat Sycamore 35-28 in OT

I don't think the results against common opponents matters all that much. I think it's all how teams matchup, and, for Sycamore, St. X is a much better matchup than Colerain. That said, this isn't last year. I think this Sycamore team is maybe a hair worse than last year's team while I think this St. X team is significantly better than last year's team. Despite the good matchup for Sycamore, I think it means X should win by 10-20 points. However, I think a game going down to the wire or a St. X blowout win are just as likely.
Old 11-09-17, 08:56 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

4. Will the Aves 2 way players (Fehr, Goodyear, Son, Evans and Williams) be gassed in the 2nd half?

7. Is the Sycamore defense really better than last year despite starting a couple of sophomores?

8. Can Sycamore get their first ever victory over StX and make it an all GMC regional final?

1. Yes
2. Specht-coached DBs are always up to the challenge
3. No, not on X's defense.
4. Yes
6. Yes
7. Maybe a tad
8. No.
10. Guaranteed this year

Looks like a W.
Old 11-10-17, 10:11 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
1. Yes
2. Specht-coached DBs are always up to the challenge
3. No, not on X's defense.
4. Yes
6. Yes
7. Maybe a tad
8. No.
10. Guaranteed this year

Looks like a W.
These responses are overconfidence embodied— I can think of NUMEROUS games in which X’s Specht-coached DBs were not very up to the challenge (e.g.- PC last year, WC last year, even Colerain in past years, when they’ve been forced to pass)... I won’t address the rest of these responses— suffice to say that I will not be the slightest bit surprised if Sycamore makes a game of this tonight— they are the one GMC team (outside of Colerain) that has shown well against GCL teams in the playoffs in the past (they gave a pretty good Moeller team a good game about 6 years ago, in addition to last year’s game they should have won against X)— all because they appear to be very well coached...

Mason, Fairfield, Lakota(s), etc., have not convinced me in recent years, but Sycamore could well surprise in this matchup— especially if weather conditions do not favor the passing game.
Old 11-10-17, 04:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
These responses are overconfidence embodied— I can think of NUMEROUS games in which X’s Specht-coached DBs were not very up to the challenge (e.g.- PC last year, WC last year, even Colerain in past years, when they’ve been forced to pass)... I won’t address the rest of these responses— suffice to say that I will not be the slightest bit surprised if Sycamore makes a game of this tonight— they are the one GMC team (outside of Colerain) that has shown well against GCL teams in the playoffs in the past (they gave a pretty good Moeller team a good game about 6 years ago, in addition to last year’s game they should have won against X)— all because they appear to be very well coached...

Mason, Fairfield, Lakota(s), etc., have not convinced me in recent years, but Sycamore could well surprise in this matchup— especially if weather conditions do not favor the passing game.
I don't want to hear shoulda coulda nonsense.....I will say that the Aves played pretty much a perfect game offensively last year....and I also thought their OC called a great game and they executed it very well...so to your point of being well coached...I agree with that. Are they getting players that Moeller used to get? Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-10-17, 07:50 PM
Junior Varsity

bombers92 is on a distinguished road
Classic give-up an early touchdown
Old 11-10-17, 11:29 PM
All World

JBaller
Good game to X. Very stout team on both lines and very well-coached. Maybe we'll meet you again in the playoffs next year!
Old 11-10-17, 11:41 PM
All World

Quote:
StX Offense Formula for success:
Wolf’s pass completion > 60% and percent of his completions to the playmakers (Wittrock, Specht and Kreimer) > 70%
Those 2 percentages add up to >130 in all 10 of the Bomber victories.
In the Bomber loss to St. Ignatius they totaled only 97 (44% and 53%)
61% (17/28) + 65% (11/17) = 126
First victory this season where these passing percentages did not exceed 130.
Offset by the rushing game which exceeded 200 yards for only the second time this season (Hinsdale 272 yards)
Old 11-10-17, 11:50 PM
All World

Quote:

5. Will Wolf stick to the 60/70 formula that works every time it’s tried?

9. Did scheduling 2 non conference patsies (Mt. Healthy and Loveland) help or hurt the Aves?

and maybe the most important question......

I kinda hate that place.
1. Yes
2. Yes, Johnny Morrocco. Williams 2 catches for 22 yards
3. No. 6 for 14, 5 sacks and 1 fumble
4. Yes
5. No (61% and 65%) Wolf was off tonight throwing a pick and only connecting twice with both Wittrock and Kreimer.
Because Colerain has a much better rush defense this number will need to be closer to 150 to beat Colerain in the regional final.
6. Yes, for 214 yards.
7. No
8. No
9. Hurt or Did not help
10. Yes
Old 11-11-17, 05:09 PM
All World

Very nice to see Chris run like a man last night. We could use that this week. I've been waiting for him to breakout like that. Bodes well for us if they have to worry about all of our RBs
Old 11-11-17, 11:59 PM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rhino View Post
Very nice to see Chris run like a man last night. We could use that this week. I've been waiting for him to breakout like that. Bodes well for us if they have to worry about all of our RBs
Is he a junior or a senior?
Old 11-12-17, 07:20 AM
Freshman

treebranch45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Is he a junior or a senior?
Junior
Old 11-13-17, 05:30 PM
All World

The more I reflect on the Sycamore offense I think they had the perfect personnel to run Colerain's triple option.

I would have sat that sophomore QB and had these guys run the triple with Malek throwing 5 to 10 passes per game (half to Williams and the rest distributed among the backs).
Would have been a formidable attack

Sycamore Offense Triple Option Backfield
WR 41 Myron Williams Sr. 6’1” 185lb 30 for 719
FB 31 Kyle Fehr Sr. 6’1” 215lb
QB 1 Jon Malek Sr. 5’7” 160lb 57 for 269 and 20 catches for 513 yards
WB 2 Jordan McConnell So. 5’7” 170lb 89 for 483
TB/WB 6 Brian Doneghy Jr. 5’7” 170lb 60 for 378
TB 24 Lee May Jr. 5’11” 175lb 39 for 133