Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-18, 10:21 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 49,655
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Would getting rid of the one-and-dones help make college basketball great again?

Would getting rid of the one-and-dones help make college basketball great again? Does college basketball need a similar type of rule that college baseball has?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-14-18, 05:57 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 3,911
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yappi, you seem rather uninformed on the topic, if I'm correct in assuming you mean go pro or stay 3 when you say "similar type of rule that college baseball has?" That's an MLB rule and would have to be an NBA rule. It is not a college baseball rule and college basketball could not enforce that, either.

College basketball is already great, so getting rid of one and dones would not make it great again. I am in favor of the NBA setting up a rule like the MLB does though. Even if it's just go pro or stay 2, as opposed to 3.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-18, 08:02 AM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,991
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what incentive the NBA would have to change anything. In an ideal world, I would like them to adopt something like the college baseball rule. But that would require allowing straight to the pros from HS again which it doesn't seem they have any interest in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-18, 08:11 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Not in Price Hill
Posts: 4,457
Arrogate is on a distinguished road
For some reason i thought Silver wanted to end the one and done rule. I would think NBA teams like it so they can see them play in a system and get good tape on players. Still a crapshoot but i would think it is easier selecting college players as opposed to high school AAU ball
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-18, 08:25 AM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 3,991
Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
For some reason i thought Silver wanted to end the one and done rule. I would think NBA teams like it so they can see them play in a system and get good tape on players. Still a crapshoot but i would think it is easier selecting college players as opposed to high school AAU ball
I believe he does, but just requiring guys to stay 2 years. Which seems like an even worse idea.

I think the solution is allowing straight from HS guys, but if they choose to go to college then they need to stay 3 years. I'd also like the NCAA to throw in an exemption that even if a guy declared for the draft, if he wasn't selected in the 1st rd he could retain his eligibility.

That would mean all the elite guys who are more than capable of going straight from HS to the NBA could do so. But everyone else would actually have to have a "normal" college career.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-18, 09:24 AM
cjb56 cjb56 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,639
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I believe he does, but just requiring guys to stay 2 years. Which seems like an even worse idea.

I think the solution is allowing straight from HS guys, but if they choose to go to college then they need to stay 3 years. I'd also like the NCAA to throw in an exemption that even if a guy declared for the draft, if he wasn't selected in the 1st rd he could retain his eligibility.

That would mean all the elite guys who are more than capable of going straight from HS to the NBA could do so. But everyone else would actually have to have a "normal" college career.
This would be the best solution, IMO. The college game is but a shell of what it once was, and the NBA just doesn't have the time to really develop fundamentals as well as college, Euro-pro or G-league can. The very few straight from HS guys who would make the jump if this rule was enacted would be the very special players...or the guys who know they cannot handle college. The latter should be steered to the G-league and not waste time on an NBA roster.

All levels of basketball would be better as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-18, 10:53 PM
nwwarrior09 nwwarrior09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-09
Location: Springfield/Dayton
Posts: 6,455
nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
I doubt it happens, but I'd love to see it tweaked to where you could go straight from high school again, with college bound guys having three year commitments. It would take a lot of guess work out of scouting and the draft on the NBA side. For the college game, it would probably result in a greater spread of high-end talent across power five conference teams.

The con IMO would be that it would hamper parity in the sense of mid-majors and less glamorous power five schools being highly competitive. "Parity" in the current model exists with such schools having veteran experience and quality coaching as a counter balance to one and done players.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-18, 05:55 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 31,986
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I'm not sure what incentive the NBA would have to change anything. In an ideal world, I would like them to adopt something like the college baseball rule. But that would require allowing straight to the pros from HS again which it doesn't seem they have any interest in.
this
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz