Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-18, 10:10 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Princeton formal announces new head coach

http://vikenation.org/News/3c76765f-...-608a057a61e1/

Thoughts on the hire?
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-14-18, 06:32 AM
93 red ls 93 red ls is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 12-22-13
Posts: 758
93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Hope it works best for the kids! I like hiring an EX Princeton alum.....

Wonder who will be on his staff ? any asst's from the past going to be re-hired?
  #3  
Old 06-14-18, 07:29 AM
getridofspam1 getridofspam1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-09-15
Posts: 37
getridofspam1 is on a distinguished road
Here is what I know. Coach is very personable and seems to be very dedicated. Truly a nice guy who is passionate about the program and wrestling. I believe he has been helping with the youth and MS. Both of those area's looked strong this year and I believe the MS won the GMC. He has a personal stake in the program which is always a great motivator.

From the outside looking in I think it is a very good hire and wish the Princeton program nothing but luck.
  #4  
Old 06-14-18, 08:02 AM
Coach Root Coach Root is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-02-07
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,127
Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Best of luck Coach Powell.


Coach Root
  #5  
Old 06-14-18, 06:17 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
Here is what I know. Coach is very personable and seems to be very dedicated. Truly a nice guy who is passionate about the program and wrestling. I believe he has been helping with the youth and MS. Both of those area's looked strong this year and I believe the MS won the GMC. He has a personal stake in the program which is always a great motivator.

From the outside looking in I think it is a very good hire and wish the Princeton program nothing but luck.
Quite possibly all you said is true. He did however go on a social media rant a few weeks ago so let's see if he can cash the check that his mouth wrote -Ken Powell said " I'd bring the program back to prominence and dominance and incorporate some much needed tradition and pride. #Faktz "

Prominence, dominance, tradition and pride. That's what the man said.
  #6  
Old 06-14-18, 07:52 PM
Soul Provider Soul Provider is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 05-29-18
Posts: 18
Soul Provider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getridofspam1 View Post
Here is what I know. Coach is very personable and seems to be very dedicated. Truly a nice guy who is passionate about the program and wrestling. I believe he has been helping with the youth and MS. Both of those area's looked strong this year and I believe the MS won the GMC. He has a personal stake in the program which is always a great motivator.

From the outside looking in I think it is a very good hire and wish the Princeton program nothing but luck.


You are wrong, he has never worked in any way shape or form with the Princeton program at any level at any time.

Last edited by Soul Provider; 06-14-18 at 08:21 PM.
  #7  
Old 06-14-18, 08:15 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
The Princeton Press release says he was at Fairfield from 2001-2012, a total of 11 years. Is this accurate? I don't recall him being there nearly this long. Can anyone from Fairfield speak on this?
  #8  
Old 06-14-18, 08:20 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Provider View Post
Don't know where you got this WRONG information which is laughable, but he hasn't ever helped with the Princeton program in any way shape or form. That's recently or years past per good sources.
Why do you keep editing your post? Why did you take down Geers name?

Last edited by TakeDown77; 06-14-18 at 08:44 PM.
  #9  
Old 06-14-18, 08:47 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
So now that the new hire has happened....can anyone from Princeton with ties to the program currently or formerly (Brianww112 or anyone else) speak on the drama behind the Princeton Alumni and why Robbins unexpectedly decided to hang it up? What was behind it? Why did they not care for him? Was it coaching style? Record? Race due to him being white? What was it? Love him or hate him at the end of the day he did put his blood sweat and tears into Princeton wrestling. Know what I'm saying?
  #10  
Old 06-14-18, 09:35 PM
Crab Ride Crab Ride is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-28-17
Posts: 242
Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post
So now that the new hire has happened....can anyone from Princeton with ties to the program currently or formerly (Brianww112 or anyone else) speak on the drama behind the Princeton Alumni and why Robbins unexpectedly decided to hang it up? What was behind it? Why did they not care for him? Was it coaching style? Record? Race due to him being white? What was it? Love him or hate him at the end of the day he did put his blood sweat and tears into Princeton wrestling. Know what I'm saying?
Dude, why donít you get a life? You put a post up to stir the pot about this. You come off as a pathetic whiner.
  #11  
Old 06-14-18, 09:45 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Dude, why don’t you get a life? You put a post up to stir the pot about this. You come off as a pathetic whiner.
Legit question(s). Robbins was GMC coach of the year last year-his "retiring" was surprising to most in the coaching ranks. Not to mention, current members of his coaching staff voiced their displeasure on this forum and also in private about the way things went down.

Last edited by TakeDown77; 06-14-18 at 10:09 PM.
  #12  
Old 06-14-18, 10:21 PM
Crab Ride Crab Ride is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-28-17
Posts: 242
Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Introducing race and insinuating he left because he was white is despicable. Leave the new coach alone and let him do the job he was hired to do.
  #13  
Old 06-14-18, 10:27 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Introducing race and insinuating he left because he was white is despicable. Leave the new coach alone and let him do the job he was hired to do.
So because I introduced race as a factor in Robbins ousting as head coach, I am automatically assumed to be stirring the pot? How about instead of leaving the new coach alone as you put it----we leave the old coach---the gmc coach of the year alone?
Lastly, I am black-so how can you assume I am race baiting? Just seems odd that a GMC coach of the year just walks away with the cupboard fairly full and the program in pretty gpood shape at all levels as was previously reported.

Last edited by TakeDown77; 06-14-18 at 10:38 PM.
  #14  
Old 06-14-18, 10:38 PM
youngmanmom youngmanmom is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-07-10
Posts: 142
youngmanmom is on a distinguished road
I wonder if spam was thinking it was Maceo Powell, father of Maceo Powell who did quite well in junior high as well as his time coming up through youth. I was shocked when I saw the picture and it wasn't Maceo. Lots of Powells in the world I guess. Good luck either way, Coach!
  #15  
Old 06-14-18, 10:40 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmanmom View Post
I wonder if spam was thinking it was Maceo Powell, father of Maceo Powell who did quite well in junior high as well as his time coming up through youth. I was shocked when I saw the picture and it wasn't Maceo. Lots of Powells in the world I guess. Good luck either way, Coach!
Yeah, true and possible. But there is only one "Kool Ken" Powell.
  #16  
Old 06-14-18, 10:45 PM
Crab Ride Crab Ride is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-28-17
Posts: 242
Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeDown77 View Post
So because I introduced race as a factor in Robbins ousting as head coach, I am automatically assumed to be stirring the pot? How about instead of leaving the new coach alone as you put it----we leave the old coach---the gmc coach of the year alone?
Lastly, I am black-so how can you assume I am race baiting? Just seems odd that a GMC coach of the year just walks away with the cupboard fairly full and the program in pretty gpood shape at all levels as was previously reported.
Who is bothering the ďold coach?Ē He quit if you want to know why you should ask him.

I donít think the ďold coachĒ needs you to defend him.
  #17  
Old 06-14-18, 10:52 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Who is bothering the “old coach?” He quit if you want to know why you should ask him.

I don’t think the “old coach” needs you to defend him.
Again, it was well reported and documented that the alumni were unhappy with Coach Robbins and the state of the Princeton wrestling program. So I know why. I don't think the new coach needs you all on his nutzzzz either but if you want to know, why don't you holler at ya' boy and ask him?
  #18  
Old 06-15-18, 09:58 PM
Takedown777 Takedown777 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-05-17
Posts: 20
Takedown777 is on a distinguished road
I just donít understand the disdain for Kenny Powell. Iíve known him for a long time. I competed against him in high school, our teams were always great rivals, Iíve always associated him with Princeton HS Wrestling. And by the way, Iím a white guy. Totally irrelevant like other stupid race references. Though I may not understand his political views or ethnical views, I respect him. He is real, he is genuine, he has served his country, he serves his community and he gives a bunch of kids hope. Maybe some of you should back off and look at the big picture and give him him a chance. Since you guys seem to be so adamant about picking him apart, why donít you reveal yourselves. I can guarantee his record is cleaner than yours and heís done more for his community and youth than you ever will.

Stay weak my friends...stay weak.
  #19  
Old 06-15-18, 10:54 PM
brianwr112 brianwr112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: richmond KY
Posts: 2,424
brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I have no problem with Coach Powell and want Princeton to be successful. You'd have to ask the alumni why they wanted the previous staff out. All coaches were kicked out of the alumni facebook group where not only could the staff provide updates about the program but also be easily contacted if there were any issues. One alumni (Not Coach Powell) told Coach Robbins he'd never be a Viking. After giving everything you've had for nearly two decades, I understand his decision to step away. Ty literally spent his entire Spring and Summer driving kids all over Kentucky and Ohio in order to get kids mat time. He took them to camps and slept on mats so they'd get opportunities. He made sure to fundraise like it was his second job so the kids got to go to the camps at little to no cost, had Prodigy paid for (and transported them there with school vans), made sure they always had food for after weigh ins and between matches. Many programs have parent groups that do those things, Ty did it by himself. He celebrated his wrestlers got degrees, new jobs, married or had kids far more than he did any result on the mat. I've also seen his eyes full of tears when as he mourned the death of a past wrestler. This past year he had one of the most successful teams during his time at Princeton including 3rd place in GMC, 7 District Qualifiers and voted by his peers as GMC Coach of the Year. Never be a Viking though....
  #20  
Old 06-15-18, 11:14 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
[quote=brianwr112;7057933] you'd have to ask the alumni why they wanted the previous staff out. (any alumni reading this, will you please answer this question? )

all coaches were kicked out of the alumni facebook group where not only could the staff provide updates about the program but also be easily contacted if there were any issues. (ken powell was the moderator of this page---ken, why was this done to the staff?)

one alumni (not coach powell) told coach robbins he'd never be a viking[B].(this was ken haro----ken haro , why did you feel this way and why did you say this to Coach Robbins this past season? )

Last edited by TakeDown77; 06-15-18 at 11:31 PM.
  #21  
Old 06-15-18, 11:15 PM
Takedown777 Takedown777 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-05-17
Posts: 20
Takedown777 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
I have no problem with Coach Powell and want Princeton to be successful. You'd have to ask the alumni why they wanted the previous staff out. All coaches were kicked out of the alumni facebook group where not only could the staff provide updates about the program but also be easily contacted if there were any issues. One alumni (Not Coach Powell) told Coach Robbins he'd never be a Viking. After giving everything you've had for nearly two decades, I understand his decision to step away. Ty literally spent his entire Spring and Summer driving kids all over Kentucky and Ohio in order to get kids mat time. He took them to camps and slept on mats so they'd get opportunities. He made sure to fundraise like it was his second job so the kids got to go to the camps at little to no cost, had Prodigy paid for (and transported them there with school vans), made sure they always had food for after weigh ins and between matches. Many programs have parent groups that do those things, Ty did it by himself. He celebrated his wrestlers got degrees, new jobs, married or had kids far more than he did any result on the mat. I've also seen his eyes full of tears when as he mourned the death of a past wrestler. This past year he had one of the most successful teams during his time at Princeton including 3rd place in GMC, 7 District Qualifiers and voted by his peers as GMC Coach of the Year. Never be a Viking though....
My comments have nothing to do with Ty. Iíve known Ty for probably over 30 years and have the utmost respect for him. If itís an internal issue with the Princeton organization and school board then it is what it is. Knowing Ty, heíll walk away from Princeton (bitter sweet Iím sure) with a clear conscience knowing that he made a difference. Iím sure with his nature heíll find a way to be impactful in another way. Politics exist everywhere, but that dieant mean that the incoming coach should be crucified by the masses out of the gate.
  #22  
Old 06-15-18, 11:29 PM
TakeDown77 TakeDown77 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-15-13
Posts: 323
TakeDown77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takedown777 View Post
Politics exist everywhere, but that dieant mean that the incoming coach should be crucified by the masses out of the gate.
Make no mistake, the incoming coach was one of the main dealers of the "politics" that were at hand that led to the coach Robbins "retiring"(wether the politics were aired out on social media, back door conversations to the school athletic administration, alumni-these things were orchestrated and occurred). This is a fact.
  #23  
Old 06-15-18, 11:43 PM
brianwr112 brianwr112 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-25-05
Location: richmond KY
Posts: 2,424
brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Unless things have been deleted I haven't really seen anything crushing him. There's been questions about his listed experience which his pay is based off of. Some have wondered why other candidates who are current Head Coaches and held positions within school districts weren't interviewed. At the end of the day it's very difficult to run any athletic program if you don't have anyone in the school and right now they currently don't. Someone has to monitor grades, behavior, attendance and work with teachers to best suit each student. Sometimes they just need someone to vent to because they're teenagers and things aren't easy. Again, I wish them well.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who would you like to see get the Canton McKinley Boys Head Basketball Position??? IUDOGS Boys Basketball 268 09-19-18 05:57 PM
Milton-Union head coach, Mark Lane, steps down. BlessEmAll Football 22 12-19-17 07:26 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
Mount Union Head Coach at Tuscarawas County Wres. Club wrestling_fan_ Wrestling 1 05-02-17 11:54 AM
Any news on a New Head Football Coach to replaces Coach Bob Sax at Akron Garfield ??? IUDOGS Football 12 05-02-17 08:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz