Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-18, 12:56 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'm shocked by your second paragraph. I know your head isn't in the sand. You're smarter than that to know the opposite is true. That's how you spread awareness in today's day and age.
People give the Yappi Elder forum a lot more credit than it deserves. It is in many ways a bubble.

A single facebook post can generate a whole bunch more views and awareness than this Elder forum.
Old 05-23-18, 12:56 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
My point of re bringing this up is multifaceted.

1). I am a busy person, honestly was not sure what has been done, if anything. I have not come across anything they have done, outside of the Klusmann event.

2). I personally feel it is important that while this event happened months ago, that we keep tabs on the response.

3). Most importantly, I do not get paid or my job is not to solve this for Elder. I am just an interested alum and this is a discussion forum for all things Elder. I am sure there are far smarter minds in the administration that share many of my same concerns. I personally think it just shows Elder's greatest weakness and threat to its future that they won't acknowledge it.
Old 05-23-18, 12:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
I get you have already have made up your mind that they are doing nothing despite initially posing the question, but this is not even true.
Please enlighten me then.
Old 05-23-18, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
My point of re bringing this up is multifaceted.

1). I am a busy person, honestly was not sure what has been done, if anything. I have not come across anything they have done, outside of the Klusmann event.

2). I personally feel it is important that while this event happened months ago, that we keep tabs on the response.

3). Most importantly, I do not get paid or my job is not to solve this for Elder. I am just an interested alum and this is a discussion forum for all things Elder. I am sure there are far smarter minds in the administration that share many of my same concerns. I personally think it just shows Elder's greatest weakness and threat to its future that they won't acknowledge it.
It's good that you asked, but right now everything seems to exist inside the bubble of this forum--and will remain here unless people take action in the real world (in person conversation, letters, phone calls, emails, etc.) I'd suggest just taking your 3 paragraph post from earlier, expanding it a little by offering some suggestions and send it to the administration.
Old 05-23-18, 01:24 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quite frankly, I would like to hear of a group of Elder's big donors, who have made improvements to the school and grounds and the development of the PAC possible, make a large donation to fund a outreach, diversity and recruitment effort. Certainly those things are at least as important to the future of the school as having first class sports facilities.

Think big. Think bold. Get it done. Now.
Old 05-23-18, 01:52 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
You must be one of those, "nothing to see here" people.
No not at all. I'm simply saying that I think the Admin is probably still taking the necessary steps and that you are overreacting RIGHT NOW. If a longer and longer period of time goes on without noticeable change/action then yes, it would be very bad.
Old 05-23-18, 02:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
No not at all. I'm simply saying that I think the Admin is probably still taking the necessary steps and that you are overreacting RIGHT NOW. If a longer and longer period of time goes on without noticeable change/action then yes, it would be very bad.
I don't really think that we have much time.
Old 05-23-18, 02:20 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
People give the Yappi Elder forum a lot more credit than it deserves. It is in many ways a bubble.

A single facebook post can generate a whole bunch more views and awareness than this Elder forum.
I didn't say posting on Yappi was the best way to raise awareness on the issue.
Old 05-23-18, 02:42 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
There has never been a ton of transparency at Elder. Most things are secrets. Most things are communicated, solved, and buried within certain bubbles of certain people. And that's the way they like it.

Opening up their mindset to ideas, diversity, and others not in that bubble is threatening their way of doing business. It takes away control. Good luck, and as I've said for years, get used to it. They also don't take to well to outsiders giving their opinions; thus, many people are very reluctant to go down that route and truly speak their minds. They have a "way" - and that "way" needs some updating.

It's going to take some very courageous leadership to make a dent.
Old 05-23-18, 02:55 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
It's good that you asked, but right now everything seems to exist inside the bubble of this forum--and will remain here unless people take action in the real world (in person conversation, letters, phone calls, emails, etc.) I'd suggest just taking your 3 paragraph post from earlier, expanding it a little by offering some suggestions and send it to the administration.
I reached out to Kurt. I will see if I get a response. I offered to help in any ways they needed in terms of community outreach in Price Hill.
Old 05-24-18, 06:12 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
Change takes time....especially a change in culture......the boys have been offered many opportunities for volunteer work in the community this summer. Also, the entire school's reading assignment for the summer is a graphic novel called "March". This story is an important one that follows the life of a living Civil Rights hero, Rep. John Lewis. He was there in the early days of the Civil Rights Movement, experienced life in the Jim Crow South, and was a speaker, along with Martin Luther King, Jr. at many rallies and marches. There is work going to affect a change in culture, but it's not going to be apparent to everyone immediately.
Old 05-24-18, 07:24 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
Change takes time....especially a change in culture......the boys have been offered many opportunities for volunteer work in the community this summer. Also, the entire school's reading assignment for the summer is a graphic novel called "March". This story is an important one that follows the life of a living Civil Rights hero, Rep. John Lewis. He was there in the early days of the Civil Rights Movement, experienced life in the Jim Crow South, and was a speaker, along with Martin Luther King, Jr. at many rallies and marches. There is work going to affect a change in culture, but it's not going to be apparent to everyone immediately.
Thats great to hear. Shows a realization of the issue. However, I still think Elder needs to do something that outwardly shows their willingness to welcome minorities into the community. As much as I think a lack of diversity at Elder is a big issue, I also realize minorities are not lining up to send their kids to Elder. This is the issue that the administration needs to address. A book assignment and volunteering in the community are great things for the current student body to do, however it will do little to fix the much larger issue.
Old 05-31-18, 02:29 PM
All World

The first thing Elder should do now is to hire St. X's PR guy:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/insider/jo...ing-mormon-boy
Old 05-31-18, 02:43 PM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post

I was thinking about the new state of the art weight room/athletic center Elder is going to be building. Not one article about it to be found anywhere except Elder's own website. Elder needs to market better.
Old 05-31-18, 02:44 PM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Okay. I take that back. They did do one. Need more good stories like this.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...fitness-center
Old 05-31-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There have been stories about Elder students like this one, maybe not as tragic of a story but this isn't really something new or unique to St X.
Old 05-31-18, 03:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
There have been stories about Elder students like this one, maybe not as tragic of a story but this isn't really something new or unique to St X.
You are right, but we need more and we need those that would showcase diversity at Elder.
Old 05-31-18, 06:32 PM
All District

ElderHockeyDad
Quote:
You are right, but we need more and we need those that would showcase diversity at Elder.

Apparently no one saw the article about Antonio McCloud in the Catholic Telegraph.
Old 05-31-18, 07:16 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
If you think the younger Catholic families read the Catholic Telegraph, or frankly, even know what it is...well, they don't.
Old 06-01-18, 02:02 PM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
If you think the younger Catholic families read the Catholic Telegraph, or frankly, even know what it is...well, they don't.
Maybe they should. All this whiny crap about what Elder should or should not do is annoying BS. Freaking pick up the phone and call and ask instead of bit$hing about on an internet talk forum. If it means that much to you, do something about it and ask Elder.
Old 06-01-18, 02:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
Maybe they should. All this whiny crap about what Elder should or should not do is annoying BS. Freaking pick up the phone and call and ask instead of bit$hing about on an internet talk forum. If it means that much to you, do something about it and ask Elder.
You're under the assumption those doing all this "bit$hing and whiny crap" haven't contacted Elder. I would guess that's a bad assumption to make. Also, no one is forcing you to read all this whiny crap. If you don't like it, simply don't log in on Yappi. If you must, then don't open threads you know the whiny crap takes place.

And whiny crap? Yeah, I guess wanting your school/alma mater to not be known as the racist school is whiny. What a dumb comment.
Old 06-01-18, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

FWIW saw on Twitter that Elder students volunteered their time to help out at Holy Family Field Day. Nothing too drastic, but it's something.
Old 06-01-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHockeyDad View Post
Apparently no one saw the article about Antonio McCloud in the Catholic Telegraph.
I didn't see it, which confirms trey's point, but it'll probably end up the Pride. If not anyone have a link to it? I know there was a big write-up on his state championship in the paper - was that the same thing?
Old 06-01-18, 02:45 PM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
You're under the assumption those doing all this "bit$hing and whiny crap" haven't contacted Elder. I would guess that's a bad assumption to make. Also, no one is forcing you to read all this whiny crap. If you don't like it, simply don't log in on Yappi. If you must, then don't open threads you know the whiny crap takes place.

And whiny crap? Yeah, I guess wanting your school/alma mater to not be known as the racist school is whiny. What a dumb comment.
No what is dumb is all the negative crap on this board. Yes you are correct about my prerogative about reading this but some day's I hope to open this and read positive stuff about Elder but not today.
Old 06-01-18, 02:52 PM
All World

Quote:
No what is dumb is all the negative crap on this board. Yes you are correct about my prerogative about reading this but some day's I hope to open this and read positive stuff about Elder but not today.
No, it was still a dumb comment. Like I said, not wanting my alma mater to be known as the racist school isn't whiny. It's common sense, and smart. Negative crap that the school brought on itself. That's the whole point of the Elder Forum - to talk about Elder! My goodness, I know you aren't this dense.

Then open your eyes and read. Kyle Rudolph just donated a large sum of money to build a new gym/weight room. I'd say that's positive, no? Maybe you choose to only see the negative?
Old 06-01-18, 03:36 PM
All World

Jteegardner
[QUOTE=Taco MacArthur;7052225]No, it was still a dumb comment. Like I said, not wanting my alma mater to be known as the racist school isn't whiny. It's common sense, and smart. Negative crap that the school brought on itself. That's the whole point of the Elder Forum - to talk about Elder! My goodness, I know you aren't this dense.

Then open your eyes and read. Kyle Rudolph just donated a large sum of money to build a new gym/weight room. I'd say that's positive, no? Maybe you choose to only see the negative?[/QUOTE

calling me dense??? Really?? If these people called Elder to ask what was done, then perhaps they can share what is being done. And Yes what Kyle did is amazing but read the entire post and see how people blast the archdiocese. That isn't negative. I am done and if you care to discuss this further Pm me and I will give my phone # and we can discuss this further, you see I don't hide behind a keyboard and insult people.
Old 06-01-18, 06:47 PM
All World

Quote:
calling me dense??? Really?? If these people called Elder to ask what was done, then perhaps they can share what is being done.
I did and I'll share...nothing is what they are doing. I take that back, they are thinking...thinking about doing things someday in the future. That, I submit, is not enough and not soon enough. I'll add one more thing; if you have to call Elder to see what they are doing about it then they are not doing anything about it. As it is primarily a PR problem, what they are doing should be very obvious to everyone. If not, they are simply not doing it right. If engaged members of the Elder community don't see a difference, how would some minority kid living on Warsaw Avenue, who has heard all of the bad press, see any difference?

As I said before, if you bait the hook but don't cast your line, you end up with nothing.
Old 06-01-18, 07:45 PM
All World

Quote:
calling me dense??? Really?? If these people called Elder to ask what was done, then perhaps they can share what is being done. And Yes what Kyle did is amazing but read the entire post and see how people blast the archdiocese. That isn't negative. I am done and if you care to discuss this further Pm me and I will give my phone # and we can discuss this further, you see I don't hide behind a keyboard and insult people.
Calling you dense? No. I said you made a dumb comment because you did. That isn't insulting you, it's insulting the ridiculous comment you made. The school hasn't shared anything, otherwise it would have been shared on here. Not sure what to tell you.

So just because some people blasted the archdiocese (rightfully so), that somehow means there were no positive comments about Kyle and his contributions to the school? No, you just want to see negative so you block out the positive. P.S. I guess you also missed the few comments on Mr. McCloud and his accomplishments? Again, you only see negative because that's all you want to see.
Old 06-01-18, 07:46 PM
All World

Quote:
I did and I'll share...nothing is what they are doing. I take that back, they are thinking...thinking about doing things someday in the future. That, I submit, is not enough and not soon enough. I'll add one more thing; if you have to call Elder to see what they are doing about it then they are not doing anything about it. As it is primarily a PR problem, what they are doing should be very obvious to everyone. If not, they are simply not doing it right. If engaged members of the Elder community don't see a difference, how would some minority kid living on Warsaw Avenue, who has heard all of the bad press, see any difference?

As I said before, if you bait the hook but don't cast your line, you end up with nothing.
Wonderful post, Mojo.