Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-27-18, 01:37 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherontheporch View Post
Yes, of course, but has Ruffing put one or two persons in charge of addressing this situation? Sure, he will be involved if he has. Or has he put himself in charge? I just want to contact
the appropriate person.

Why not just pick up the phone and call Kurt? I sure he would address
any concerns that you may have. Or just call the office, someone there
would give you his contact info. I don't think he is hiding from anyone.
Old 02-27-18, 04:13 PM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
Call Kurt. He has been open to talk to many about the situation. I have heard that this is one of of the reasons next years enrollment is lower than expected. Supposedly the number is considerably down from what they expected. Anyone know the number?
Old 02-27-18, 05:26 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
Call Kurt. He has been open to talk to many about the situation. I have heard that this is one of of the reasons next years enrollment is lower than expected. Supposedly the number is considerably down from what they expected. Anyone know the number?
Based on what I was told before the fiasco at the X game, the number was over 200. Now, I'm not sure how many decided to go elsewhere after this debacle, if any, but considering last year's class was under 200, they clearly made a few adjustments. If they want classes back around 250, they'll likely make more.
Old 02-27-18, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
I can’t imagine it had a material impact on enrollment. It’s still mostly white feeder kids from the westside. And I’ve heard it was around 220+.

And if you’re gonna post something so damning, give us sources, and numbers. Don’t just throw out an ambiguous statement like that.

It’s becoming exhausting being an alumni of this school, every god dam week, whether it’s real or imaginary, there’s a new crisis. It’s getting really old. The school can’t be near a nuclear meltdown every f***in’ week.

Last edited by Descartes; 02-27-18 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 08:37 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the crisis?
Old 02-27-18, 09:39 PM
All Ohio

Patchwork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I agree that they need time. But stop with the letters that say "that's not what we're about", "we don't teach that" - we already know that. No one thinks anyone is racist - but alot of people think there's a need in change with inclusion of all sorts. That's the main issue - not alums thinking the students and admin advocate this - we know they don't.

The letters should be talking about an inclusion/outreach plan and that they will be letting us know that plan at some point. If the strategy is letters and no follow up with concrete detail, what's changed?
Trey brings up a great point that needs to be considered and we dont have to look too far for assistance in doing it. Elder has had many students alumni from different backgrounds and cultures who I personally know a few were very upset with what was said about Elder and their experiences in the four years they attended EHS. The majority of them played sports but the ones that didnt are very well spoken as students and in their professional careers.

If we truly believe we are what we are what we all believe, then someone from Elder should bring them in for a sit down and gain some insights on how to create the outreach program Trey is talking about. Don't ignore the issue in a silo and get moving on a solution. Example Bradley G. Is an exceptional high character man who speaks highly of his time at Elder. How many others can assist in a session of gaining back what so many feel we dont have as an Elder society.
Old 02-27-18, 10:29 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post
Trey brings up a great point that needs to be considered and we dont have to look too far for assistance in doing it. Elder has had many students alumni from different backgrounds and cultures who I personally know a few were very upset with what was said about Elder and their experiences in the four years they attended EHS. The majority of them played sports but the ones that didnt are very well spoken as students and in their professional careers.

If we truly believe we are what we are what we all believe, then someone from Elder should bring them in for a sit down and gain some insights on how to create the outreach program Trey is talking about. Don't ignore the issue in a silo and get moving on a solution. Example Bradley G. Is an exceptional high character man who speaks highly of his time at Elder. How many others can assist in a session of gaining back what so many feel we dont have as an Elder society.
That is pretty much what I said a couple weeks ago in the other thread. They need to approach these alumns who can give guidance and act as ambassadors for the school in the general community. I believe the response from some of the regulars on here was that it would be wrong to force them to do it, as if that would be possible and as if I had recommended anything like that. There are some people that just have to be negative.
Old 02-27-18, 10:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post

Thereís more than a few recent black grads who had great experiences at Elder. Iíve always said Elder needs to reach out to them to be ambassadors for the school.
Old 03-04-18, 12:43 PM
All World

I know some of the pundits on here live cloistered in their homes and enjoy firing off posts without actual going out and getting to know the people involved. I get out among the Elder Community and the community at large on a regular basis and discuss issues that are important to them. With that said, I have had some interesting interactions since the first of this year that are relevant to Elder's current situation.

This first one causes me pain as I am forced to admit that P-Boy is right about one matter about which I had serious doubts. His idea that people would drive long distances to send their kids to Elder was proven correct by an encounter I had last Thursday. I attended the Elder/Seton Talent Show that night, which I enjoyed very much and which I believe showcased the superiority of Elder and Seton in the area of performing arts, and had the opportunity to talk to the couple seated in front of us whose daughter (a wonderful singer) is a junior at Seton. When the inevitable question came up of "what neighborhood do you live in?) they indicated that they live in Withamsville to which they had moved for work purposes, and, as Elder and Seton alumns, and confirmed, albeit displaced, westsiders, they sent their son to Elder (a recent graduate) and their daughter to Seton.

The other interesting conversation that I had was with a Bridgetown resident and Mercy Alumn who works with kids and has several kids she is helping who attend CPS schools. A couple of the kids she is helping are great students who are struggling in their CPS schools and she hopes to get them into Seton. She stated that Seton has a good track record of recruiting minority students and she wondered why Elder is not successful in doing the same. I do believe that Elder could learn something from the administration at Seton in this regard, however, I pointed out that Elder's reputation in this regard, and its challenge in recruiting minorities is, to a large extent the result of demagoguery on the part of some "leaders" in minority communities resulting from their criticism of the Cincinnati Police Department and number of officers and chiefs that are Elder grads. That seemed to make sense to her and hoped Elder would be successful in changing the reputation before her own sons were ready for high school.
Old 03-04-18, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
This first one causes me pain as I am forced to admit that P-Boy is right about one matter about which I had serious doubts. His idea that people would drive long distances to send their kids to Elder was proven correct by an encounter I had last Thursday. I attended the Elder/Seton Talent Show that night, which I enjoyed very much and which I believe showcased the superiority of Elder and Seton in the area of performing arts, and had the opportunity to talk to the couple seated in front of us whose daughter (a wonderful singer) is a junior at Seton. When the inevitable question came up of "what neighborhood do you live in?) they indicated that they live in Withamsville to which they had moved for work purposes, and, as Elder and Seton alumns, and confirmed, albeit displaced, westsiders, they sent their son to Elder (a recent graduate) and their daughter to Seton.
See, it can be done. The alumni who don't send their kids to Elder bc of "distance" are just pssies.
Old 03-06-18, 07:16 AM
All World

Tragic situation with the Purcell student who was shot. In hearing the story on the news one detail indicated one of the problems Elder has in recruiting minorities. The poor kid's mother is the principle of St. Joes in the Westend, which is a historic Elder feeder school and she chose to send her son to Roger Bacon and then Purcell. If the principal of an Elder feeder school sends her son to Bacon or Purcell, how do we get any other kids from that elementary school?
Old 03-06-18, 07:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tragic situation with the Purcell student who was shot. In hearing the story on the news one detail indicated one of the problems Elder has in recruiting minorities. The poor kid's mother is the principle of St. Joes in the Westend, which is a historic Elder feeder school and she chose to send her son to Roger Bacon and then Purcell. If the principal of an Elder feeder school sends her son to Bacon or Purcell, how do we get any other kids from that elementary school?
They live in Evanston, a few mins from Purcell.
Old 03-06-18, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure calling St Joe's a "historic Elder feeder" is accurate.

I wish way more kids from St Joe's decided to attend Elder.
Old 03-06-18, 10:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Not sure calling St Joe's a "historic Elder feeder" is accurate.

I wish way more kids from St Joe's decided to attend Elder.
Itís a tiny feeder, but I agree. Iíd like to open up more of a pipeline to them and DeSales in OTR.
Old 05-23-18, 08:04 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
So we are now months removed from the incident and media headlines. I ask one simple question, has anything really been done to implement change at Elder?

I hope my fear is unfounded, however it seems that Elder took the "nothing to see here, move along" approach that they do so well.
Old 05-23-18, 08:23 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
nothing was done
Old 05-23-18, 08:43 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
If true, and if there is no plan in place to do something going, I'm highly disappointed in Elder and Kurt. That's a total shame. I'm certainly not a large donor, but I won't be sending Elder money anymore.
Old 05-23-18, 08:55 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If true, and if there is no plan in place to do something going, I'm highly disappointed in Elder and Kurt. That's a total shame. I'm certainly not a large donor, but I won't be sending Elder money anymore.
Let me be clear. I just have not heard or seen anything regarding changes or new initiatives, not saying for sure they have not done anything. I just wanted to see if anyone knows if they did in fact implement changes?

If not, it is a huge disappointment.

In follow up, I do see the Director of Admissions job is open. That is the most crucial hire. That is where recruiting potential students, outreach to minorities in the community, all collide.
Old 05-23-18, 10:04 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are ridiculous...I believe in the admin that they are still taking the steps needed to implement some things...change doesn't happen overnight...Can't really do much with the main culprits since they are leaving..I'm sure they had plenty of opportunities to reflect on their poor actions before graduating.
Old 05-23-18, 10:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
You guys are ridiculous...I believe in the admin that they are still taking the steps needed to implement some things...change doesn't happen overnight...Can't really do much with the main culprits since they are leaving..I'm sure they had plenty of opportunities to reflect on their poor actions before graduating.
The ridiculousness lies with you. The incident and actions are over, punishment was done. However, the root cause of the incident remains. I could care less about punishments or diversity training/seminars. The school needs to do more in terms of becoming more diverse and partners with the minorities who live just mere feet from campus.

You must be one of those, "nothing to see here" people.
Old 05-23-18, 10:21 AM
All World

Quote:
I have a very hard time believing every single student in the cheering section for that game was a senior. If they are in fact doing something, which there is no evidence of other than Kurt saying "We'll do something" months ago, there has been zero communication between the school and the community/alum. Another huge issue.
Old 05-23-18, 10:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Let me try to get this right. Elder students, parents and administration allowed a terrible thing to happen for about 45 minutes. The incident only stopped once parents from St. X step in. In the aftermath Elder disciplines the students and says it was unacceptable and does not represent Elder. However the facts remain, Elder parents, and Faculty sat around allowing this terrible incident to take place, which makes it look like to outsiders, that Elder is full of racists or at the least a bunch of ignorant racists. Unfortunately this was not the first incident in many people's eyes. You somehow think just saying it was unfortunate incident and punishing the students will somehow reverse peoples opinion of the school?

Now lets look at some other factors involved with this incident. First, Elder is one of the least diverse schools in the region, despite being located in a lower-class high minority population area, where they seem to take pride in ignoring the neighborhood and residents, portraying a we are better than you attitude. Sure Elder does some community service in the neighborhood cleans up yards and picks up trash. All great things, however they do nothing to actually partner with the community. They do nothing to disprove the very real stereotype that Elder is racist or better than the minority low income residents that make up parts of Price Hill.

Now lets all face the reality, this is not Kings or a public school district that no matter what stereotypes are placed on them, rightly or wrongly, they will be fine as they will still get state/local funding and have about the same amount of students year to year. Elder on the other hand is seeing enrollment fall. They are losing minority and Caucasian students on a regular basis from Price Hill to a school miles away on North Bend road. A school we all think has done it wrong, however is seen as more welcoming, and now successfully recruiting kids right next Elder's campus. You think just saying a racist incident does not represent Elder reassures those parents?

With all of this in mind, you really think the admin has done a good job following this incident in moving Elder forward in the right direction?
Old 05-23-18, 10:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
Let me try to get this right. Elder students, parents and administration allowed a terrible thing to happen for about 45 minutes. The incident only stopped once parents from St. X step in. In the aftermath Elder disciplines the students and says it was unacceptable and does not represent Elder. However the facts remain, Elder parents, and Faculty sat around allowing this terrible incident to take place, which makes it look like to outsiders, that Elder is full of racists or at the least a bunch of ignorant racists. Unfortunately this was not the first incident in many people's eyes. You somehow think just saying it was unfortunate incident and punishing the students will somehow reverse peoples opinion of the school?

Now lets look at some other factors involved with this incident. First, Elder is one of the least diverse schools in the region, despite being located in a lower-class high minority population area, where they seem to take pride in ignoring the neighborhood and residents, portraying a we are better than you attitude. Sure Elder does some community service in the neighborhood cleans up yards and picks up trash. All great things, however they do nothing to actually partner with the community. They do nothing to disprove the very real stereotype that Elder is racist or better than the minority low income residents that make up parts of Price Hill.

Now lets all face the reality, this is not Kings or a public school district that no matter what stereotypes are placed on them, rightly or wrongly, they will be fine as they will still get state/local funding and have about the same amount of students year to year. Elder on the other hand is seeing enrollment fall. They are losing minority and Caucasian students on a regular basis from Price Hill to a school miles away on North Bend road. A school we all think has done it wrong, however is seen as more welcoming, and now successfully recruiting kids right next Elder's campus. You think just saying a racist incident does not represent Elder reassures those parents?

With all of this in mind, you really think the admin has done a good job following this incident in moving Elder forward in the right direction?
Damn good post.
Old 05-23-18, 11:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Damn good post.
I agree. I spoke to Kurt directly and I am very much underwhelmed. The Klusmann tribute was nice. It got a bit of news with Elder kids out in the neighborhood, but where is the bold, new outreach initiative of which we can all be proud? I don't see it.
Old 05-23-18, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
If you haven't contacted the administration about this, you should. If you have already, do it again.

My personal belief is that if you have a legitimate complaint about something and want to see positive change, just posting about it online is quite possibly one of the least effective things you can do.
Old 05-23-18, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
If you haven't contacted the administration about this, you should. If you have already, do it again.

My personal belief is that if you have a legitimate complaint about something and want to see positive change, just posting about it online is quite possibly one of the least effective things you can do.
I understand what you are saying but the point still stands that Elder Admin has done nothing of significance following what happened.
Old 05-23-18, 12:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post

If we didn't know for a fact the administration reads Yappi, you'd have a better point. But since we know they have, in multiple instances, confronted Pboy for the things he said we know they are seeing this. Unless of course they only check in on the football threads. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case. That being said, I'm guessing anyone still posting about this now cares enough that they have reached out multiple times.

I'm shocked by your second paragraph. I know your head isn't in the sand. You're smarter than that to know the opposite is true. That's how you spread awareness in today's day and age.
Old 05-23-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
there has been zero communication between the school and the community/alum. Another huge issue.
Agree. This is a huge issue if something is actually being done.
Old 05-23-18, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:

Great post and spot on with everything.
Old 05-23-18, 12:49 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
All great things, however they do nothing to actually partner with the community.
I get you have already have made up your mind that they are doing nothing despite initially posing the question, but this is not even true.