Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Which of these most closely describes your religious practice currently
Mainline Protestant regular church-goer (Episc., Mehthodist, etc.) 5 7.94%
Mainline Protestant by background, infrequent church-goer 9 14.29%
Evangelical regular church-goer 3 4.76%
Evangelical by background, infrequent church-goer 2 3.17%
Catholic regular church-goer 22 34.92%
Catholic by background, infrequent church-goer 15 23.81%
Jewish 2 3.17%
Muslim 3 4.76%
Other Religion 2 3.17%
Agnostic (who knows?) 13 20.63%
Atheist (there is no God/Supreme being) 3 4.76%
Other 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-17, 07:42 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
In any event, the purpose of a threat of "a judgment" is to align the fearful not to distance them, otherwise there is no need for the threat of a judgment. It's like telling kids they are on Santa's naughty list. The fearful don't say there is no Santa, the fearful are afraid they will miss out on their reward and attempt to conform their behavior despite their doubts.
Old 04-14-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Christian, non-denominational. I was raised in a Christian household that attended church regularly, and my faith has only grown stronger through college and to this day. My wife and I attend church regularly.
Old 04-14-17, 09:34 AM
All Region

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Agnostics don't mock Jesus.
Didn't know all agnostics behaved and thought exactly the same. Also didn't know they had elected you their spokesman. Congrats!

One could make the case for the thief next to Jesus clearly doubted His claims to deity by insisting He prove it. Just like agnostics today.

He responded to the person who believed and let the other die according to his beliefs. Just like now.

Bottom line - either what we celebrate this weekend is true or its not.

As for me - He is risen indeed!
Old 04-14-17, 11:15 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Didn't know all agnostics behaved and thought exactly the same. Also didn't know they had elected you their spokesman. Congrats!

One could make the case for the thief next to Jesus clearly doubted His claims to deity by insisting He prove it. Just like agnostics today.

He responded to the person who believed and let the other die according to his beliefs. Just like now.

Bottom line - either what we celebrate this weekend is true or its not.

As for me - He is risen indeed!
Prove it seems like a reasonable request and no doubt one I'm sure you (and any reasonable person) would make to such claims today. I don't really see that as mocking.

In any event, Happy Easter to you. Sincerely.
Old 04-14-17, 12:04 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Some do, some don't.

I do not believe in Santa Clause , but when my 12 year old agnostic reared nephew continued to firmly believe in him his actions caused me to mock his faith just a little. It was not intentional on my part, but a 12 year old putting real faith in Santa was a bit over the top for me.

I think that is how it is with agnostics and Christians. So long as the Christian keeps to themselves the agnostic will likely keep their thoughts to themselves. But, speak out about issues basing your ideas on faith in Christ, and they will be unable to keep from deriding your beliefs, even if just good naturedly.

Last edited by D4fan; 04-14-17 at 02:25 PM. Reason: To revise and extend my remarks
Old 04-14-17, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat is on a distinguished road
This afternoon I will attend one of my favorite rites of the Catholic Church, the Stations of the Cross.
Old 04-14-17, 01:12 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I'm raised Protestant, but I think I get it.

May the experience crystallize your sense of gratitude and well-being.
Old 04-15-17, 06:52 AM
All Region

"Then they took the body of Jesus and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury. Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby." John 19:40-42
Old 04-16-17, 06:07 AM
All Region

24 But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master." But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it." 26 Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you." 27 Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe." 28 Thomas said, "My Master! My God!" 29 Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing."

John 20:24-29 The Message Bible
Old 04-16-17, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Skipping church today. I don't want to be tainted by the presence of all the twice a year heathens.
Old 04-16-17, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Skipping church today. I don't want to be tainted by the presence of all the twice a year heathens.
In your case, that's probably best for all concerned.

I hope the wife and kid go, though.... Happy Easter

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 04-16-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-16-17, 05:55 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
In your case, that's probably best for all concerned.
Agreed.

Quote:
I hope the wife and kid go, though.... Happy Easter
Happy Easter to you as well.
Old 04-17-17, 04:42 PM
All World

St.X fan2
Attempt to answer your questions

[QUOTE=the_big_toe;6727617]I was raised Catholic, but left the church in my early 20s. I just found way too many inconsistencies and things that just flat out didn't make sense. For example, to believe Christianity, you had to believe that Isreal, a fairly small section of the planet Earth, which observation shows to be a fairly small planet in a fairly mundane solar system, in the outskirts of a fairly mundane galaxy, in a Universe full of all kinds of galaxies, was God's primary focus in all of creation. I just found that to defy logic.

And of course a Christian might say that God's logic is beyond human logic. Well, okay, but then why would God make mankind with human logic which would oftentimes contradict what might be "God's logic". That would seem to be setting mankind up for failure. And if God was setting mankind up for failure, what does that tell us about the relationship between mankind and God?

It just all made zero sense.

QUOTE]

1. I don't see anything wrong with God picking Israel as it has been said by some that they were not a large and powerful nation compared to some others at the time and God would more easily be able to manifest His glory if He worked through a people that was not considered as great as other nations. The call on the Jewish people was to be a light unto the Nations. Israel is right in the middle of the ancient trade routes so that all those who came across would actually have to interact with them, and see the difference between the true and living God, and the false gods of other peoples.
God formed a covenant with Abraham who was faithful to God.

2. Religion also has to do with the heart and being receptive to God. Human logic cannot fully understand God's thoughts as God is immortal and divine. We cannot make religion a mental exercise as it involves both the mind and the heart. I don't think we are setup for failure just because we cannot fully grasp God's ways. If we could fully grasp His ways, then we would have to be divine.
Old 04-17-17, 04:59 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown is on a distinguished road
This whole thread reminds me of how one of my professor's would mess with folks on the first day of class. Mind you I had this professor for 3 classes, so i saw the trick in action several times.

You would go around the room, state your name, where you were from and whether you were religious or not. Without fail within the first couple students someone would answer the last question with "I go to church"

This would elicit uproarious laughter from the teacher who would then go on to grill that poor soul on what, if anything, one had to do with the other.
Old 04-17-17, 05:13 PM
All World

St.X fan2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post

Serious question: Why?

As an atheist, I don't understand why any Christian would pray. Prayer shouldn't change anything. If Christians truly believe their god is perfect and has a perfect plan, then prayer shouldn't do anything at all...prayer certainly shouldn't change god's perfect plan, should it? Everything according to god's perfect plan.

Which brings up another concern...if the plan is already perfect and unchangeable, then the Christian god is, in fact, powerless.
Hawk:
Prayer is a relationship with God and you get closer to God through prayer by spending time with God. You get to know a person better by spending time with him or her and it works the same way with God. Prayer is to put our will in alignment with God's will. Our prayer will not change God's plan because if it did then we would be controlling God and humans can't control God who is divine. It is God who made the plan to send his only Son to die for our sins. I don't agree with your last sentence. God is all knowing and is perfect, so therefore his plan does not need to be changed. God is the one who came up with the plan and further shows his power by developing it and carrying it out. A divine being would not need to make changes because that being does not make mistakes like we do.
Old 04-17-17, 05:27 PM
All World

St.X fan2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
That's pretty much it. Faith is believing in claims without evidence. Religious people have to say, "I have faith", because they can't say, "I have knowledge (or facts/evidence/proof)."

Unsupported claims from The Koran, The Bible, The Book of Mormon, Scientology, Hinduism, The Invisible Pink Unicorn, etc. are all the same to me...unsupported claims. Nothing more.
I would say that there is some support to the claims of Christianity such as the writings of the early Church fathers who lived in the first couple of centuries. Their writings about Jesus and the fact that several of them died as martyrs for the faith gives support. Also, there are the apparitions that occurred at Our Lady of Lourdes, Fatima, and at Guadalupe. There are also Eucharistic miracles that have occurred that are worth reading about that you may not be familiar with at this time. There have been archaeological digs in Israel that verify that certain biblical events did indeed occur. I have read some of these articles in peer reviewed journals. I visited Israel last year, and saw many of the places where such events occurred and Christians have been visiting these places since the first century. Also, there are near death experiences and I just read a good book by an M.D. who was at Harvard who was an agnostic but is now a believer after he had a near death experience. His neo-cortex was nonfunctional and he debunks nine different explanations that doctors give to explain NDE's. There is no scientific explanation for his NDE and he is a very well respected neurosurgeon that did brain surgeries for many years. The book is called "Proof of Heaven". It is worth reading if you have the time and he uses a lot of scientific terminology in his book.
Old 04-17-17, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
I was raised Catholic, but left the church in my early 20s. I just found way too many inconsistencies and things that just flat out didn't make sense. For example, to believe Christianity, you had to believe that Isreal, a fairly small section of the planet Earth, which observation shows to be a fairly small planet in a fairly mundane solar system, in the outskirts of a fairly mundane galaxy, in a Universe full of all kinds of galaxies, was God's primary focus in all of creation. I just found that to defy logic.

And of course a Christian might say that God's logic is beyond human logic. Well, okay, but then why would God make mankind with human logic which would oftentimes contradict what might be "God's logic". That would seem to be setting mankind up for failure. And if God was setting mankind up for failure, what does that tell us about the relationship between mankind and God?

It just all made zero sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.X fan2 View Post
1. I don't see anything wrong with God picking Israel as it has been said by some that they were not a large and powerful nation compared to some others at the time and God would more easily be able to manifest His glory if He worked through a people that was not considered as great as other nations. The call on the Jewish people was to be a light unto the Nations. Israel is right in the middle of the ancient trade routes so that all those who came across would actually have to interact with them, and see the difference between the true and living God, and the false gods of other peoples.
God formed a covenant with Abraham who was faithful to God.

2. Religion also has to do with the heart and being receptive to God. Human logic cannot fully understand God's thoughts as God is immortal and divine. We cannot make religion a mental exercise as it involves both the mind and the heart. I don't think we are setup for failure just because we cannot fully grasp God's ways. If we could fully grasp His ways, then we would have to be divine.

God picked Abram of Ur in the Chaldees, because he was a just master and a righteous man with a contrite heart. He renamed him Abraham, and Israel came about because of the relationship between God and Abraham.

The Israelites have broken faith many times over the years, but God remains God - faithful.

At least that is how I understand it.
Old 04-18-17, 09:59 PM
All Region

There are many historical documents and archaeological findings supporting information found in the Bible. Some just don't wish to accept Biblical truths.
Old 04-18-17, 10:03 PM
All Region

I'm curious given the extensive choices in the poll - what is "Other"? There is a choice of "Other religion" (2 votes) and then "Other" (4 votes). What isn't covered in that list that would make someone pick "Other".

Satanism, Wicca/witchcraft, B'Hai would be "other religion. So what's left?

Just wondering
Old 04-18-17, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm curious given the extensive choices in the poll - what is "Other"? There is a choice of "Other religion" (2 votes) and then "Other" (4 votes). What isn't covered in that list that would make someone pick "Other".

Just wondering
I inserted the "other" category for people who aren't religious, maybe don't know what they are, don't like either the agnostic or atheist label. Maybe someone who sees themself as "spiritual".
Old 04-18-17, 10:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There are many historical documents and archaeological findings supporting information found in the Bible. Some just don't wish to accept Biblical truths.
Some people mostly seem to have a hard time accepting the notion that God would keep us on a "need to know" basis. Most objections kind of stem back to that "rub", in one way or another.

Look at t_b_t's gripe -

Quote:
......Isreal, a fairly small section of the planet Earth, which observation shows to be a fairly small planet in a fairly mundane solar system, in the outskirts of a fairly mundane galaxy, in a Universe full of all kinds of galaxies, was God's primary focus in all of creation......
The Bible really doesn't say anywhere that I know of that Earth is all there is in the way of "life". (I'd be willing to accept that, but I guess I wouldn't have to.) The God that was described to me could have a few similar situations going.....or 1,000. Nothing says He doesn't, or that we would need to know about it if He did.

I know the term is typically used to assign an "upgrade" of sorts, but why do we anthropomorphize God, as if He would feel a need to impress or persuade us ? We are said to be created in His image, and for His pleasure.

After all, we are told 1,000 different ways in the Bible that God wants it to be all about faith, right ? What if God did decide to lay his means and methods, his Master Plan, all out there for us to see ? Genghis Khan may have had the neutron bomb, among a billion other scenarios. We really expect that "The I Am", an entity unfettered by even time, owes us an an explanation ? That seems kind of silly. The Bible basically says take it or leave it.

One may as well just say that he won't believe in Him unless he shows His face, and leave it at that.
Old 04-18-17, 10:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Just wondering
You forgot "Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", or whatever it is a few of those godless millennials like to say
Old 04-19-17, 05:28 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You forgot "Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", or whatever it is a few of those godless millennials like to say
It's "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster", not "Cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster". Either way, I prefer "Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn".

What's the difference between a cult and a religion, other than popularity? Religions are popular; cults are not. Religions have many believers; cults have few. Religions are old cults; cults are new religions. Religions have political clout; cults don't. Have I missed anything?

A co-worker explained to me that the difference is religions have "true" prophets while cults have "false" prophets...as defined by him and his personal religious belief, of course.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: