Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-16-17, 05:48 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Adjustments to DI Assignments in NE District

By my count, the teams in the NE District (which includes Dover, technically the East District but assigned to Canton) went from 82 teams to 78. The NW district went from 17 to 21. That should mean that the NW district will return to getting two sectional/district winners that advance to regionals and the NE will drop from seven to six. That will mean the average district size in the NE will increase by 2-3 teams.

The last time this happened, the odd district out was Alliance. Canton/Copley went to the Akron/Toledo combined region while the other four (Solon, Euclid, Strongsville, Elyria) feed into the CSU region. I have a feeling we will return to that. Geographically, this makes a ton more sense than sending Alliance to Cleveland and Elyria out to Toledo/Akron.

SW has 52 teams, same as 2016-17. Central has 46 teams (including Tri-Valley, technically the East District), down from 47 last year. In other words, basically the same. I would be surprised if anything changes. Four districts in SW and four in Central. It works out very nicely.

Any guesses on assignments for the NE District?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

Here are my predictions for the six NE Districts. All have 13 teams and make sense geographically. Aside from breaking down Alliance, the other six districts were changed as least amount as possible.

Solon

BEDFORD
EUCLID
GARFIELD HEIGHTS
JOHN ADAMS
JOHN HAY CAMPUS
KENSTON
MAPLE
SHAKER
TWINSBURG
WARREN G HARDING...moved from Alliance
UNIVERSITY...new to DI
NORDONIA...moved from Copley
HUDSON...moved from Copley

Euclid

BRUSH
CLEVELAND HTS
LAKESIDE
MADISON
MAYFIELD
MENTOR
NORTH
RIVERSIDE
SOLON
SOUTH
BENEDICTINE...new to DI
CLEVELAND CENTRAL CATHOLIC...new to DI
EAST TECH...new to DI

Canton

CANTON McKINLEY
COPLEY
DOVER
GLENOAK
HOOVER
PERRY
JACKSON
MASSILLON WASHINGTON
WOOSTER
EAST (YOUNGSTOWN)...moved from Alliance
BOARDMAN...moved from Alliance
AUSTINTOWN FITCH...moved from Alliance
CANFIELD...new to DI

Copley

ARCHBISHOP HOBAN
CUYAHOGA FALLS
FIRESTONE
HIGHLAND
Akr NORTH
STOW
WADSWORTH
WALSH JESUIT
ROOSEVELT...moved from Alliance
LAKE (UNIONTOWN)...moved from Alliance
ELLET...moved from Alliance
BARBERTON...moved from Canton
GREEN...moved from Canton

Strongsville

BRECKSVILLE-BROADVIEW HTS
JOHN MARSHALL
LAKEWOOD
LINCOLN WEST
MAX S. HAYES
NORMANDY
NORTH ROYALTON
PARMA
RHODES
ST EDWARD
ST IGNATIUS
VALLEY FORGE
BRUNSWICK...moved from Copley

Elyria

AVON
AVON LAKE
BEREA-MIDPARK
ELYRIA
LORAIN
MIDVIEW
NORTH OLMSTED
NORTH RIDGEVILLE
OLMSTED FALLS
STEELE
WESTLAKE
STRONGSVILLE
MEDINA...moved from Copley

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 07-16-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 08:42 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Can't believe Joe Mackey would be too happy with this!
Old 07-16-17, 08:44 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Always a chance that Ed's will be moved out to Elyria, with Lakewood, to attempt a big crowd for an Ed's vs Iggy regional game at CSU. Would probably have to send Medina and Berea-Midpark to Strongsville to do it. Not that far-fetched. Ed's was out at Grafton for many years. You would likely have a yearly district of Ed's, Elyria, Lorain and the SWC champ. Ed's would be the annual favorite, of course, but would get a fight at the district level some years.
Old 07-16-17, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

In lieu of the above scenario, I would welcome Medina to the Elyria district. They are a pretty strong program.
Old 07-16-17, 09:51 PM
All Ohio

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Kenfield might be in d1.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-17, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Well, in the above scenario, each of the districts would be getting deeper. Would make for some fun and competitive basketball at the district level, even more so than in recent years I would argue.

This is nitpicking a bit, but it could have big implications: Both Benedictine and Cleveland Central Catholic are closer to Solon than John Hay. If the districting process is supposed to be based on geography, I cannot see Hay going to Solon if Benny and CCC aren't there, too. Probably a few other quirks like that that may pop up with schools switching divisions.

Also, there has to be a way to keep Warren Harding together with its Steel Valley brethren.
Old 07-16-17, 10:05 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
I'd bet plenty of money that Eds and Ignatius would now get split.
Old 07-16-17, 10:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Why do you say that? I think that putting Ignatius/Eds in the same district makes geographical sense and it appeases all of the public school coaches...at least the ones that aren't at Strongsville.
Old 07-16-17, 10:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
Well, in the above scenario, each of the districts would be getting deeper. Would make for some fun and competitive basketball at the district level, even more so than in recent years I would argue.

This is nitpicking a bit, but it could have big implications: Both Benedictine and Cleveland Central Catholic are closer to Solon than John Hay. If the districting process is supposed to be based on geography, I cannot see Hay going to Solon if Benny and CCC aren't there, too. Probably a few other quirks like that that may pop up with schools switching divisions.

Also, there has to be a way to keep Warren Harding together with its Steel Valley brethren.
Arguments could be made for CCC or Benedictine to be at either Solon or Euclid. If looked at competitively (with geography being similar either way), the safe money might be on a split - one goes to Euclid and the other to Solon. I have a feeling most of the existing coaches wouldn't welcome having to invite both of those teams to their district. Yes, John Hay is closer to Euclid - but I wasn't trying to change more things than I had to.

As for WGH, when there are only six districts the Raiders have been up in Cuyahoga County - Warrensville and Solon. They are 15 miles closer to Solon than Canton, so I don't expect that move to happen.
Old 07-17-17, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Arguments could be made for CCC or Benedictine to be at either Solon or Euclid. If looked at competitively (with geography being similar either way), the safe money might be on a split - one goes to Euclid and the other to Solon. I have a feeling most of the existing coaches wouldn't welcome having to invite both of those teams to their district. Yes, John Hay is closer to Euclid - but I wasn't trying to change more things than I had to.

As for WGH, when there are only six districts the Raiders have been up in Cuyahoga County - Warrensville and Solon. They are 15 miles closer to Solon than Canton, so I don't expect that move to happen.
I agree that a split of Benedictine and Cleveland Central Catholic seems possible, with my guess being that Benny goes to Euclid and CCC goes to Solon. I think John Hay also switches to Euclid.

As for Harding, I was playing around with the maps and you're right, Solon is the most logical choice for them. And my lack of knowledge of Mahoning Valley geography is apparent, as Warren isn't really as close to Youngstown as I had thought.
Old 07-17-17, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
I agree. I think Ed's and Lakewood will be sent out to Lorain County, where they have been many times before.
Old 07-17-17, 05:11 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Those look good. Copley needs an upgrade with some new blood. Would be good to see Green and Lake moved there.
Old 07-17-17, 10:05 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Why do you say that? I think that putting Ignatius/Eds in the same district makes geographical sense and it appeases all of the public school coaches...at least the ones that aren't at Strongsville.
No I totally agree with you on both accounts. I just think the NE Board figures they've appeased the public schools by having these two schools in the same district for a whopping two years, and now it's turn to appease the Eds/Iggy alum base by separating them. As they were for about 30 years.

Yes, six miles away the current setup definitely makes sense.
Old 07-17-17, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
If you read the board of directors minutes from the June meeting, the basketball district-regional-state compositions were approved.
See page 8 of PDF, http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Board-of-...June1-2017.pdf
Old 07-18-17, 02:37 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
It looks like 6 districts in NEO for D1. We just have to wait for them to announce the district locations???
Old 07-18-17, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
It looks like 6 districts in NEO for D1. We just have to wait for them to announce the district locations???
The way it has been for many years: two on the westside Cleveland suburb, two on the eastside Cleveland suburbs, and two in Summit/Stark. That shouldn't change. Based on past experiences, Alliance is the odd location out. Obviously it will remain IF either Canton or Copley (long-time sites for DI) want to stop. But that is doubtful.

Logistically, Alliance also makes sense because their district was most impacted by teams moving down to DII. Of the teams who were at Alliance last year, only seven remain.