Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-12-17, 07:27 PM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
Fargo

Who from Ohio has the best chances of winning a title
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-17, 08:19 PM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Demilio and Carr
Old 07-12-17, 08:45 PM
Varsity

Hardwork21 is on a distinguished road
Not sure about title but there should be a good amount to AA. Good luck Ohio boys!!!
Old 07-12-17, 09:20 PM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Got to go with Jordan Decatur and David Carr
Old 07-12-17, 09:37 PM
All Region

Latman is on a distinguished road
What do we have, 4 on the Cadet world team? All 4 would have been contenders if attending; Skinner, Tagg, Byrd and Decatur
Old 07-13-17, 05:38 AM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
Decatur isn't doing Fargo!
Old 07-13-17, 09:41 AM
All District

carpmentor is on a distinguished road
Women's Cadet Olivia Shore, Women's Juniors McKayla Campbell and Autumn Gordon could all be bringing back stop signs to Ohio
Old 07-13-17, 02:56 PM
All Ohio

keithcarter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latman View Post
What do we have, 4 on the Cadet world team? All 4 would have been contenders if attending; Skinner, Tagg, Byrd and Decatur
unfortunately 4 of our 6 world team members arent going to fargo.

Shore and Campbell from the womens side are wrestling in Fargo.
Old 07-13-17, 03:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcarter View Post
unfortunately 4 of our 6 world team members arent going to fargo.

Shore and Campbell from the womens side are wrestling in Fargo.
I'm sure cost is a big factor. Having to pay for the World Team trip and Fargo is out of reach for most. Any chance USA Ohio would pick up the Fargo cost for the World Team members? Just a suggestion...
Old 07-13-17, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
I think it's more an across the board trend that those going to worlds aren't competing in Fargo, not necessarily a "resources" thing.
Old 07-13-17, 09:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinwhip View Post
Demilio and Carr
And Matthew Cardello
Old 07-13-17, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Quote:
I think it's more an across the board trend that those going to worlds aren't competing in Fargo, not necessarily a "resources" thing.
With the cost of being a member of the World Team in addition to cost of being a "doubler" on the National Team ($1400) you would be wrong on this in my opinion. While I am sure that there is a limit to just how much a kid can do with the mandatory training camps and expectations of being a world teamer, but if there was not a cost to either of the trips...then I think there would be more kids doing both. The timing of back to back is probably as much of an issue.

Amazes me that these kids who are at the top of the food chain are having to pay the kind of money they are required to pay.
Old 07-13-17, 10:28 PM
All District

baremup is on a distinguished road
🛑

Nevan Snodgrass has a real good chance at a 🛑.
Old 07-13-17, 11:00 PM
All Ohio

keithcarter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
With the cost of being a member of the World Team in addition to cost of being a "doubler" on the National Team ($1400) you would be wrong on this in my opinion. While I am sure that there is a limit to just how much a kid can do with the mandatory training camps and expectations of being a world teamer, but if there was not a cost to either of the trips...then I think there would be more kids doing both. The timing of back to back is probably as much of an issue.

Amazes me that these kids who are at the top of the food chain are having to pay the kind of money they are required to pay.
In talking with the coaches the money wasnt the issue with them not going. They have training camp right after fargo. Plus there was a "peaking" issue. I will tell you that cost was not the issue. Trust me. Yes its a lot of money to go to worlds and Fargo is expensive but this wasnt a money issue
Old 07-14-17, 01:32 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Honest question, could Team Ohio even cut cost for an individual wrestler without harming their NCAA eligibility?
Old 07-14-17, 07:40 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
If I heard from parents that $$ was not a big reason for declining to do both I would believe it more than from coaches.

I totally get the peaking and training camps and other issues related to doing both. Obviously preparing for a world competition trumps anything related to a national event.

Random thoughts

why is fargo so late in the summer? Not a complaint, but always wondered why late July.

Why does it cost our age group world team members so much to compete on the world team?
Old 07-14-17, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If I heard from parents that $$ was not a big reason for declining to do both I would believe it more than from coaches.

I totally get the peaking and training camps and other issues related to doing both. Obviously preparing for a world competition trumps anything related to a national event.

Random thoughts

why is fargo so late in the summer? Not a complaint, but always wondered why late July.

Why does it cost our age group world team members so much to compete on the world team?
For parents with more than 1 kid, I agree with the cost. A factor that while a fund raiser or personal loan is financing child A and child B, I may have child C who does some other activity, non wrestling that I have to show the same love and financial support to avoid animosity.
Old 07-14-17, 11:19 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Agree with a lot you are saying. I have a wrestler that AA last year and been to Fargo the last 2 years, but couldn't go this year because of we had no money. We helped raise 100% of the money the last two years. This year we had an opportunity to take 1/2 my lineup to Iron Sharpens Iron Camp. (great camp by the way) so we raised the funds for that. I had to balance the good of the "team" vs. one individual. Many of our kids participated in the Freestyle/Greco series and competed at the State tourney which also cut into our $$$ we raised. Moving the venue also added more cost for us because now we needed to pay for a couple hotel rooms. With little to no parent or school support, it all adds up and has become a strain on my own finances with a lot being paid out of my own pocket. I actually think I lose money by coaching, (lol) but to see the kids smile when they succeed makes it all worth it! I have 3 girls of my own, so these boys are like my own so when others ask me if I'm still trying for a boy, I just say "I have a team full of them!"
Quick question: How many Ohio boys are not going to Fargo this year and would of had a good shot to AA?

I'm thinking of at least 4-6 kids.
Old 07-14-17, 01:43 PM
Freshman

Tagg is on a distinguished road
Cadet World Team guys made the decision based on training schedules, not finances. Julian has seen Kurt McHenry more days in the last two months than he has seen me. He has this week home to go with me to Fargo to cheer on Gabe, then he will be gone again. To throw Fargo training in there on top of it, would have been too much. We love Freestyle & Fargo and appreciate everything that Keith and USAW-OH do. You don't get this opportunity everyday and I think the staff at USAW-OH get that.
Old 07-14-17, 04:05 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagg View Post
Cadet World Team guys made the decision based on training schedules, not finances. Julian has seen Kurt McHenry more days in the last two months than he has seen me. He has this week home to go with me to Fargo to cheer on Gabe, then he will be gone again. To throw Fargo training in there on top of it, would have been too much. We love Freestyle & Fargo and appreciate everything that Keith and USAW-OH do. You don't get this opportunity everyday and I think the staff at USAW-OH get that.
While the scheduling aspect makes total sense and congrats on the achievement, I've spoken to one member that the world team cost is big for the family and I know it is for another family I know as well. So, even if the scheduling was different, coming up with that kind of money is difficult for some and to do both is not a reality for some.
Good Luck to both boys!
Old 07-15-17, 09:12 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
shawer tf
Old 07-15-17, 09:27 AM
All American

hepner lost 13-13
Old 07-15-17, 11:46 AM
All American

Coach McCoy is on a distinguished road
Where can we see any results on line? I have looked at Track Wrestling and they have it listed as starting today but no teams or individuals are listed. Is it only on Flo?
Old 07-15-17, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
Where can we see any results on line? I have looked at Track Wrestling and they have it listed as starting today but no teams or individuals are listed. Is it only on Flo?
Looks like it.
Old 07-15-17, 01:00 PM
All American

paddy tf
hightower pin
Old 07-15-17, 01:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McCoy View Post
flo arena
Old 07-15-17, 02:09 PM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
hepner lost 13-13
Hepner lost to Colby Schriever from Iowa. Who later lost to Fabian Lopez from Illinois. Fargo may has lost some of its luster with the increase in National events, but the infamous "Stop Sign" is still one of the more difficult awards to win.

I was at first mistaking Colby with Cullen Schriever, who is ranked #7 in the country at 106 in Flo's newest rankings.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge1; 07-15-17 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 06:04 PM
All Ohio

Ohio definitely misses Amos. He's been dropping kids on their domes all day
Old 07-15-17, 08:34 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Brackets are (unfortunately) on Arena. Picking up results via Track was SO MUCH easier.

Quarterfinalists from Ohio - 9 total (10 if you count Louden Haga from Parkersburg South, W.Va. who was released to Ohio for the Cadet Duals since WV does not have that program; once released for that event, he has to be in the Ohio group for Fargo). Quarterfinalists need one win for a top eight All-American finish.
100 - Norris
113 - Shawver
120 - Burnett
126 - Sutton
138 - Gallagher
152 - Snodgrass, Jax Leonard
160 - Hivnor
195 - Cover

Eleven remain in the consolation bracket, two wins from a top eight finish.
94 - Rowan
100 - Allison & Manley
120 - McCrone
132 - Voinovich & Niffeneger
152 - McIntosh & C. Donathan
160 - Morton
170 - Lagoa
195 - Quantz
Old 07-15-17, 09:26 PM
All Ohio

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote: