Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-07-17, 12:04 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
U.S. Economy Posts Strong Jobs Gains In June

How do you feel about the direction of the economy in the United States? Do you feel we are entering an upswing? Downward turn? Or staying pretty much the same??

Quote:
The U.S. economy added 222,000 jobs in June and monthly employment statistics from May and April were revised higher. The strong jobs report, from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, means the U.S. economy is consistently adding nearly 200,000 jobs a month and unemployment remains low, allowing the Federal Reserve to remain to hike interest rates in the second half of the year.

Economists had predicted an increase of 178,000 jobs in June according to Bloomberg data, signaling the June report beat high expectations. The monthly report is currently the most watched piece of economic data by investors because steady growth in the U.S. has positioned the Fed as a first mover among major global central banks in moving away from the rock-bottom interest rates that carried markets out of the the 2008 crisis. Since late 2016, the Fed has hiked interest rates three times on account of low unemployment, steady growth, and signs of stabilizing inflation.
Read more:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoine.../#91f16ff3d693
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 12:22 PM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
So about that whole "Trump is going to kill the economy" thing?
Old 07-07-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
June 2016 was 300,000. Hmmm.

Frankly feels like a continuation to me, not exactly booming, but a remarkably consistent trend 8 years running. I prefer this over a bubble economy anyhow.

The biggest difference imo is the change in sentiment on a certain side, and newfound attitude towards fake data, lol. Welcome back.
Old 07-07-17, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
So about that whole "Trump is going to kill the economy" thing?
Uhh yeah. The other whole thing I seem to remember was Obama was destroying the economy and Trump was going to double everything. I won't bother to look but dollars to donuts we added more jobs in the 7 months previous to this 7 months. At min. it's very close. Yappi?
Old 07-07-17, 12:38 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JobGains.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1698  
Old 07-07-17, 12:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Last 7 mos. Dec - present = 1,234,000. Thank you Trump!

Previous 7 mos. June - Nov = 1,344,000. Obama booooo!

Thanks, lol.

Like I said I hope it continues no matter who gets credit. I'll take moderate but consistent growth over +5 -2 +6 -3 any day. Consistent 5-6% GDP growth in a mature stable economy is a pipe dream but that's what many wanted to hear so... Have the excuses handy.
Old 07-07-17, 01:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Consistent 5-6% GDP growth in a mature stable economy is a pipe dream
In the last 8 years, we've had zero years with growth over 5%

Between 1936-2006, 48/60 years experienced 5%+ growth

You truly are the party of low expectations.
Old 07-07-17, 01:51 PM
All American

bigkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Obama BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 07-07-17, 01:52 PM
All American

Quote:

Bushes fault......
Old 07-07-17, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Uhh yeah. The other whole thing I seem to remember was Obama was destroying the economy and Trump was going to double everything. I won't bother to look but dollars to donuts we added more jobs in the 7 months previous to this 7 months. At min. it's very close. Yappi?
SEEM to remember.........double what Obama did? tell the liberals to get the hell out of the way...and it might happen
Old 07-07-17, 02:07 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Obama
Old 07-07-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
And how many crashes numbnuts? 401's and pensions wiped out? Love how Pubs pretend 07-09 never happened. Oh well I'm sure tax cuts for the rich and looser regulations will work better this time.
Old 07-07-17, 02:50 PM
All American

Quote:
And how many crashes numbnuts?
So the big victory is we didn't have another crash immediately after the one we are still recovering from?

Again, you people really do have incredibly low expectations. Explains a lot.
Old 07-07-17, 02:59 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Look, I don't care much about politics, but isn't there at least a little coincidence that since Trump - a successful businessman and not career politician, has been in office, the markets and business overall has been pretty darn good. Gas prices are pretty cheap now, the economy is going well. And that's not to say it was terrible with Obama was in office, but the business sector seems to be much more comfortable with less rules and regulations that just strangle businesses. Now, if we can just get Obamacare off the table...things can really go.

And don't fall for the cry of cuts to Medicaid, those folks never have and never will get insurance. They simply can't afford it. So instead of throwing that costs onto businesses, let's just eat it as we did in the past. The idea of adding people to health insurance plans who can't pay for them makes little to no sense.
Old 07-07-17, 05:44 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Look, I don't care much about politics, but isn't there at least a little coincidence that since Trump - a successful businessman and not career politician, has been in office, the markets and business overall has been pretty darn good. Gas prices are pretty cheap now, the economy is going well. And that's not to say it was terrible with Obama was in office, but the business sector seems to be much more comfortable with less rules and regulations that just strangle businesses. Now, if we can just get Obamacare off the table...things can really go.

And don't fall for the cry of cuts to Medicaid, those folks never have and never will get insurance. They simply can't afford it. So instead of throwing that costs onto businesses, let's just eat it as we did in the past. The idea of adding people to health insurance plans who can't pay for them makes little to no sense.
Increased confidence - business and consumer - makes a difference! Worrisome: A lack of qualified workers (as there is a record number of job openings) may hamper business and the economy.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 07-07-17 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-07-17, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Way out of my league here but I'd presume it's way too early for what little policy he has been able to enact to have concrete effect. Most of the positives I think fall into the "confidence" catagory.

Most interest to me are the attempts to reduce regulations on small business. These are the start-ups that diversify an economy but they're also the easiest to take advantage of by those seeing the opportunity to profit, regardless it causes harm to others.

Regulations, like any law are effort to "control" chaos and limit the ability to cause harm, whether by oversight, unpredictable situation or not giving a rat's azz. Ibelieve there has to be compensation to a more efficient means of monitoring.

With deregulation, I like to see the penalties for scamming and white collar crime increased with fewer loopholes and less opportunity to "buy" justice. A little stick to scare the bullies away from the carrot.

I'm hoping the trade-offs will be to the positive. I believe it will be.
Old 07-07-17, 08:46 PM
All Ohio

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
How do you feel about the direction of the economy in the United States? Do you feel we are entering an upswing? Downward turn? Or staying pretty much the same??

Read more:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoine.../#91f16ff3d693
Ask this again after Trump puts a tariff on imported steel. It only cost us 200,000 manufacturing jobs when Bush tried it in 2002.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-17, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Ask this again after Trump puts a tariff on imported steel. It only cost us 200,000 manufacturing jobs when Bush tried it in 2002.
In 2002 we weren't and couldn't be competitive and productive. With shale, we apparently now are.

I don't say this to play I'm an expert, but we in Toledo are in kind of a unique position to understand. Up until 2006 there were only 20 HBI (hot bisquited iron ) plants in the world, none in the US. Starting in Venezuala, an oil country, these things are booming. They produce a purer and more conducive form of iron for the steel plants, which about ends my competancy. I understand how it's made and the chemical reactions at the iron end but am not totally clear on it's preference or why it now makes our steel more competitive, but it does. The inhibition to bringing these in, was the energy cost.

Because of lower costs of shale oil, it is apparently now competitive to build these 700 million dollar plants with good confidence of recouping the cost in short order. Amazing the numbers. The reason we in Toledo are in unique postion to be aware of this, Cliff's Steel in Cleveland is building the first HBI plant in the Midwest along the river here in Toledo. We are between the water route for the Minn. iron fields and rail to Northstar Steel. And of course local politicians and Kasich sold the soul to get it here, probably the most and only viable location in Ohio from a logistic POV. The competition probably River Rouge, but I don't have fact on that. It just makes logistic sense even though it's in Michigan.

Economically and environmently for Toledo, it's not from what I can study, a good thing. It could very well be a disastrous thing. But for the steel company to build the HBI plant, with it's rather cool new technology, it's a good bet.
Old 07-08-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And how many crashes numbnuts? 401's and pensions wiped out? Love how Pubs pretend 07-09 never happened. Oh well I'm sure tax cuts for the rich and looser regulations will work better this time.
You do understand that the Democrats had their hands on the engines from 2007-2010 right? They proposed and passed nothing to prevent the situation, they are at least as culpable as Bush and probably more since they can pass legislation.

Don't forget, regulators were signaling the problems with FNMA/FDMC as early as 2005 but the Dems ignored the problems and trusted Barney Frank and his boyfriend who was running FNMA......
Old 07-09-17, 07:24 AM
All World

WestSideBomber is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
You do understand that the Democrats had their hands on the engines from 2007-2010 right? They proposed and passed nothing to prevent the situation, they are at least as culpable as Bush and probably more since they can pass legislation.

Don't forget, regulators were signaling the problems with FNMA/FDMC as early as 2005 but the Dems ignored the problems and trusted Barney Frank and his boyfriend who was running FNMA......
The Blame Game
Old 07-09-17, 09:23 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I think we are looking at this wrong. I guess I should have looked before I wrote this, but the type of jobs being created are just as important or more important than how many. How many were part time?(It was always reported Obama had a high number of part-time) What are the wages of the jobs being offered? Are they mostly min. wage or are they livable wage? I think we need more facts to compare than just number of.
Old 07-09-17, 11:34 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I think we are looking at this wrong. I guess I should have looked before I wrote this, but the type of jobs being created are just as important or more important than how many. How many were part time?(It was always reported Obama had a high number of part-time) What are the wages of the jobs being offered? Are they mostly min. wage or are they livable wage? I think we need more facts to compare than just number of.
that is a great point.....300,000 jobs being created is good but if 200,000 are part time making $10.00 a hour is NOT
Old 07-09-17, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
that is a great point.....300,000 jobs being created is good but if 200,000 are part time making $10.00 a hour is NOT
Well if you ask SWMCinci, 10 per part time is good enough to raise family on.
Old 07-15-17, 01:30 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post

How right you are. Trump and Company trying to eliminate Dodd/Frank as well, another democratic fiasco.

Lets' recap Obama's terms (and all the rotten politicians - 100% democratic and the rest from the Republican side that were part of it):

Worst civil discourse and rioting since the 1960s.

$11 trillion added to our debt, as well as another $4.5 trillion attributed to Bush that actually occurred in Obama's term. That money, hard working citizens money, went to the powers that be, and lazy good for nothings for votes. Didn't need to be done, they should have allowed the economy to fail, and bounce back. But they couldn't, they couldn't put that on Obama. Sooner or later interest rates will go up a point or two, the stock market will adjust itself, the housing market will adjust itself, and Trump will end up getting the blame. Because of the smoke and mirrors tactics of the last 8 years of QE and zero interest rates so the half black couldn't run a lemonade stand dope in the white house wouldn't get the blame.

Record health insurance costs with less health care options and availability

Lowest economic growth in American history for 8 years

Average of $3.12 per gallon of gas for 8 years. (Remember how the media blitzed Bush his last 2 years in office for gas prices? Bush's 8 year average was $2.11, a dollar lower per gallon than Obama)

Lowest labor participation rates since Carter's term

Highest poverty levels in American history

Record number of mass shootings and terrorist attacks on American soil in our history

Added 25 million citizens to the food stamp rolls

Workers earned less than $2500 less in earnings during these 8 years than Bush's 8 years

The IRAN nuke deal and giving up billions of our dollars - worst business/political deal in the history of mankind

Bo Bergdal and the the release of 5 Al Queda heads and $20 million dollars going to the DNC.

The ACA, whose only 2 real attributes were no preexisting conditions and keeping the kids on the policy till 26. Other than than it was a money grab by the Feds. Remember the website that never was - $1 billion of our money went to some Canadian firm with affiliations with Valerie Jarrett and Michelle Obama.

Fast and Furious, Benghazi, IRS targeting and campaign influence, NSA/FBI/DOJ scandals

As many military personel were deployed outside this country as the Bush 8 years.

ISIS, Gitmo prisoner release.

Geez, this is making me sick, I could write for a few more hours. Good Riddance, my gosh, shame on those who put this thing and his cronies in office and did this to us for 8 years.
Old 07-16-17, 08:18 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
How right you are. Trump and Company trying to eliminate Dodd/Frank as well, another democratic fiasco.

Lets' recap Obama's terms (and all the rotten politicians - 100% democratic and the rest from the Republican side that were part of it):

$11 trillion added to our debt, as well as another $4.5 trillion attributed to Bush that actually occurred in Obama's term. That money, hard working citizens money, went to the powers that be, and lazy good for nothings for votes. Didn't need to be done, they should have allowed the economy to fail, and bounce back. But they couldn't, they couldn't put that on Obama. Sooner or later interest rates will go up a point or two, the stock market will adjust itself, the housing market will adjust itself, and Trump will end up getting the blame. Because of the smoke and mirrors tactics of the last 8 years of QE and zero interest rates so the half black couldn't run a lemonade stand dope in the white house wouldn't get the blame.

Average of $3.12 per gallon of gas for 8 years. (Remember how the media blitzed Bush his last 2 years in office for gas prices? Bush's 8 year average was $2.11, a dollar lower per gallon than Obama)

Record number of mass shootings and terrorist attacks on American soil in our history

Workers earned less than $2500 less in earnings during these 8 years than Bush's 8 years

The IRAN nuke deal and giving up billions of our dollars - worst business/political deal in the history of mankind

Bo Bergdal and the the release of 5 Al Queda heads and $20 million dollars going to the DNC.

The ACA, whose only 2 real attributes were no preexisting conditions and keeping the kids on the policy till 26. Other than than it was a money grab by the Feds. Remember the website that never was - $1 billion of our money went to some Canadian firm with affiliations with Valerie Jarrett and Michelle Obama.

Fast and Furious, Benghazi, IRS targeting and campaign influence, NSA/FBI/DOJ scandals

As many military personel were deployed outside this country as the Bush 8 years.

Geez, this is making me sick, I could write for a few more hours. Good Riddance, my gosh, shame on those who put this thing and his cronies in office and did this to us for 8 years.
But JR you miss the crucial point - Obama kept us safe from the RUSSIANS! I don't remember any RUSSIAN controversies! I mean Obama was all over the insidious Russkies. All that stuff you listed is small potatoes compared to the RUSSIANS!

Say what you will about Obama but he never was a PUTIN stooge - oh wait there was that Ukraine thing? And the big red button Russian reset gimmick made the US look like idiots. And there was Obama's decision to sign the Paris Climate Change accord that would have limited American oil extraction and pushed prices way up which is exactly what Putin wanted. And there were the Obama policies that let the Russians & Putin back into the Middle East as a force to be reckoned with. Okay, I take back my first paragraph.
Old 07-16-17, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Thank you, Obama
Yes you are mostly correct.

Other than the hope of loosening regulations and lowering taxes this is Obama's economy and will be for some time.
The whole thing is largely held up buy his EZ money policies held together with massive stimulus (debt). If the punch bowl (your money/ tax/ debt) is removed the party will stop.
Old 07-16-17, 09:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post

Do you happen to have any sources?
Old 07-16-17, 09:35 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideBomber View Post
Do you happen to have any sources?
Tell me what are sources? Could it be they are just other people stating what they believe to be the facts and truth of any situation. Could even be a group of people. Do you not find it strange that different opinions come out of the same situation by many different sources. Then you when you hear something you do not like or want to believe, the response is how can you believe that look at the source.
Old 07-16-17, 10:19 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Tell me what are sources? Could it be they are just other people stating what they believe to be the facts and truth of any situation. Could even be a group of people. Do you not find it strange that different opinions come out of the same situation by many different sources. Then you when you hear something you do not like or want to believe, the response is how can you believe that look at the source.

Ok. Cool.

I'm just curious where those facts came from.
Old 07-16-17, 10:27 AM
All District

domi is on a distinguished road
At what point does this become the Trump economy? Is there a certain date that happens?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: