Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-07-17, 02:59 PM
Varsity

fearthekeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Fan_ View Post
Not sure what a "ty" club is but being a good "trainer" doesn't qualify you as a good "coach". I know tons of certified trainers that are terrible coaches! A piece of paper does not deem you a great coach!

DA - I just looked it up and I could be wrong. It looked like we have 7 National teams which I am assuming leaves our USA team as separate. These ages are 15-23 put 20 kids on a roster that's 140 girls on the National teams. I don't know how many girls play soccer in USA total, but let's divide that by a million kids that makes your odds at .ooo14% chance of making the National team. If you can tell me the DA isn't selling a pipe dream and not a cash grab then maybe I'm missing something.

Club/High School - of course more colleges see players through club because they also play in fall. They can scout and go watch players easily in spring time. I bet it is easy to go watch CUP gold and say those kids are great sign them they are the best club in the state year after year!
Looks like I got censored. A "ty" club was supposed to be a sh i tt y club
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-17, 03:09 PM
Varsity

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
And the scholly they end up with in most cases is, "we'll pay for your books" then see how you do....

I've often suggested that if parents want to get a free or discounted college for their kid, they should put $10 under their bed every time they take em to a practice. That's the most sure fire way.
Old 07-07-17, 06:06 PM
Junior Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

DA - I just looked it up and I could be wrong. It looked like we have 7 National teams which I am assuming leaves our USA team as separate. These ages are 15-23 put 20 kids on a roster that's 140 girls on the National teams. I don't know how many girls play soccer in USA total, but let's divide that by a million kids that makes your odds at .ooo14% chance of making the National team. If you can tell me the DA isn't selling a pipe dream and not a cash grab then maybe I'm missing something.
Agree, even if you take just the DA kids you are looking at about 2% +/- getting a call to play for an age group national team assuming they take just DA players and no other league players regardless of ability. And I would have to believe they will take the best available not just the best in the DA.

But for that 2% the DA could be a nice avenue to get there. On the flip side I think there will be a lot of Lloyd jersey wearing young ladies with broken dreams.
Old 07-07-17, 07:45 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to the US Soccer website its $50 dollars (cheap), but that's only U13-U18 AND says U12 does have fees but doesn't say cost. It also stats clubs are responsible for "travel and administrative expenses". So to me that's not "free" by any means. Also by looking at states involved you will traveling a far distance to play. They play 30 games seasons as well in a 10 month season. Again, far from "free" travel expense alone will be a nice price tag, but to each their own! IMO it won't hurt High School as much as they would like to think. Far too many multi-sport athletes that won't play and they will never have al the best players just not possible.
You're missing the point. Yes the clubs are responsible for their own expenses. Many charge fees that are similar to what it cost to play in their top program. Around here that's usually around $1500, go to either coast and you could be paying twice that. Then you have travel costs that will be similar to what top national level competing teams have as well. But there are also clubs that have what is called "fully funded" programs. These are programs that either their parent club (professional club) or through sponsorships, they are able to fully fund the expenses for players to play for their DA team. Many of these clubs have team busses that players travel in together and hotels are paid for as well. The boys Columbus Crew DA is fully funded. Want to play for free for them though? You have to make the team.

I'm not saying fully funded teams are the majority, but they do exist. To find what it costs to play for DA teams you really need to be going to the individual clubs, not US Soccer. As it's up to each club to find a way to fund their teams. With that said and back to your original statement, I just don't see how you can say the DA is a money grab. Unless what youre really saying is all of youth soccer is a money grab.
Old 07-10-17, 07:25 AM
All World

coachg is on a distinguished road
It appears from what I can see that every team that won the ECNL National Championship this year is going DA next year. Can someone verify that what I am seeing is true?

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/pu...r.aspx?eid=356

Wait a minute people are talking about a money grab. Now they are charging parents, family, and friends $15 for seating along the sideline of the match's at the ECNL Championship if you want a "good seat"? Do they charge the parents for parking too? Whats next a grass fee for walking on it? Soon they will only allow their "tourney chairs" that you must have to attend the match and that teams also rent their tents and benches to play in it. Like the money grab many do know requiring teams to use tournament approved hotels or a "Hotel Lottery" like the ECNL requires for their events. So I guess you may get a good hotel but you may also be at a crappy one. Lets not even mention money grabs anymore after the chair rental money grabbing that is going on here. $15 bucks a game wow.

https://www.mysportseat.com/ecnl/

Last edited by coachg; 07-10-17 at 07:49 AM..
Old 07-10-17, 09:39 AM
All District

Hoosier Parent is on a distinguished road
Man coach you are on it today. Is that the regular chair rental for those who prefer to rent, or is it for paid attendance, or do you really know?
Old 07-10-17, 11:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Parent View Post
Man coach you are on it today. Is that the regular chair rental for those who prefer to rent, or is it for paid attendance, or do you really know?
It appears for now its for those that prefer to rent a chair. Looks like tent rentals will be available soon, Recliners I am sure are coming soon too but they will cost more. I am not 100% sure if its after any fee that is paid to enter the event as a fan or not but you can read more here if your interested. It appears you may be able to pay more for a preferred seating location as well. Lets not forget the Concierge Services they will provide in the future including drinks, food and other items delivered to your seat and I am sure this service will cost extra too. I guess soon all vendors wont be able to sell anything unless they are sold through this service. All of this is optional now but I am sure wont be as soon as the ECNL figures out how much more money they can shake parents down for.

https://www.mysportseat.com/mysportseat-for-your-event/
Old 07-10-17, 11:15 AM
All District

You're a sad, sad person coach.
Old 07-10-17, 12:24 PM
All Region

Upper 90 is on a distinguished road
Given the location a lot of these national events are held I am going to assume a lot of air travelers(I don't know this for fact, pure assumption). I have been in a lot of airports in my time and can't recall ever seeing anyone check folding chairs for the family. The alternative would be to find a local Wal Mart near the event and buy a cheap arse chair and then pitch it or check it $$. Thus a small niche was born, you know American ingenuity. If you are driving to the event you should be bringing your chairs, little indulgent otherwise. My current soccer watchers are the best I have ever purchased from Cabela, rock solid.
Old 07-10-17, 12:37 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
All of this is optional now but I am sure wont be as soon as the ECNL figures out how much more money they can shake parents down for.

https://www.mysportseat.com/mysportseat-for-your-event/
Coach, you're making a lot out of nothing here. Did you take the time to peruse the website? If you had, you would see that Mysportseat.com is not affiliated with the ECNL. From the website, here is a bit about the company:

MySportSeat.com was started by a group of travelling SPORTS parents who after countless road trips, hotel rooms, airline flights, and thousands of league play games; said, there has to be a better way to do this!. That was our driving force to create a plan to improve your youth sporting experience!!! MySportSeat is an innovative service that will eliminate the need for you to pack, load, unload, setup, repack and reload your chairs. Leave that to us and JUST SIT!

We’ve started with the basics but will continue to expand our products and services to a sporting event near you soon! Remember, leave your old, clunky, uncomfortable, bagged chair in your garage where it belongs and JUST SIT with mysportsseat.com!

It sounds like a group of parents with an entrepreneurial spirit that saw a need and attempted to fill it. As an entrepreneur myself, I can appreciate the effort that they made. If they can make it work, provide a service that some people want, and make some money while doing it, more power to them. It isn't a purchase that is required to be made to watch the games and it's not a product or service that I would choose to purchase but I am sure that some people would. It isn't all that different from the companies that offer to make films of the kids playing soccer. If you don't want a company making a video recording of your kid playing at a tournament, make your own recording. If you don't want to pay a company money to provide a chair for you at a tournament, lug your own. If you're flying, you can do what I used to do and go to a store and buy a chair. When you're done with it, give it to a person at the tournament that lives in the area. You, coach, don't sound like someone that will purchase the service either. That is your prerogative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Is it really necessary to comment on it, though?

What will you have to say when the company starts providing the service at DA, NL, or USYSA events, coach? Will the service then be OK?

Last edited by Rohbino; 07-10-17 at 12:52 PM..
Old 07-10-17, 01:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
Coach, you're making a lot out of nothing here. Did you take the time to peruse the website? If you had, you would see that Mysportseat.com is not affiliated with the ECNL. From the website, here is a bit about the company:

MySportSeat.com was started by a group of travelling SPORTS parents who after countless road trips, hotel rooms, airline flights, and thousands of league play games; said, there has to be a better way to do this!. That was our driving force to create a plan to improve your youth sporting experience!!! MySportSeat is an innovative service that will eliminate the need for you to pack, load, unload, setup, repack and reload your chairs. Leave that to us and JUST SIT!

We’ve started with the basics but will continue to expand our products and services to a sporting event near you soon! Remember, leave your old, clunky, uncomfortable, bagged chair in your garage where it belongs and JUST SIT with mysportsseat.com!

It sounds like a group of parents with an entrepreneurial spirit that saw a need and attempted to fill it. As an entrepreneur myself, I can appreciate the effort that they made. If they can make it work, provide a service that some people want, and make some money while doing it, more power to them. It isn't a purchase that is required to be made to watch the games and it's not a product or service that I would choose to purchase but I am sure that some people would. It isn't all that different from the companies that offer to make films of the kids playing soccer. If you don't want a company making a video recording of your kid playing at a tournament, make your own recording. If you don't want to pay a company money to provide a chair for you at a tournament, lug your own. If you're flying, you can do what I used to do and go to a store and buy a chair. When you're done with it, give it to a person at the tournament that lives in the area. You, coach, don't sound like someone that will purchase the service either. That is your prerogative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Is it really necessary to comment on it, though?

What will you have to say when the company starts providing the service at DA, NL, or USYSA events, coach? Will the service then be OK?
Rohbino - Never said it was a bad idea. I actually like it and think its a great thing because I dont have to pack a chair or buy one when if I have flown to the event. I also know how things have gone in the past and as long as its not a must do then I have no issues with it.

At many tournaments years ago clubs were able to negotiate a good discounted hotel rate if you booked through those hotels but it was not a must do. Well now it is mandatory at many tournaments to book through certain hotels or travel agents because the clubs get a kick back. The really bad part is that its the almost always the same rate you would get if you booked it on your own now without the club. So I believe once the clubs can figure out a way to get a kick back from the chairs I can see the day that in order to sit on the sideline you have to rent a chair and pay more money for "prime" spot.

Lets not forget that just a few short years a ago a certain club (not OE or CU) was going to charge to park for their tryouts but OSYSA told them they were not allowed to do so if they also wanted to play through OSYSA. So its not far fetched to think the day will come when they try to mandate this and other things as a way to shake more money loose. Heck if they start selling "prime" seating locations then they only way to get the "good" seat is to pay them. So are the clubs or this company going to tell a parent with their own chair they have to move because they have a paying fan that wants the prime location or are they going to rope of a section for their paying customers? See it gets messy when you start looking at in greater detail but like I said at the start it sounds like a great idea and I am all for people finding a niche and running with it but for the clubs to support it and sanction it well that may be a bit much when you start looking at the details.
Old 07-13-17, 08:05 AM
Varsity

Penguin is on a distinguished road
The good things about HS soccer
1. more Television and news coverage for local sports
2. alumni tend to stay closer over the years
3. Playing with families you have known since kindergarten
4. Something to talk about with that teacher in the morning after a game
5. Banquets and awards are generally more forthcoming than club
6. Cost savings for 3 months from club can be put in a college fund
7. Playoffs are exciting - one and done format

Good things about club
1. Higher level of play
2. college scouts ( have seen them at HS games too though)
3. travel and competition is fun for families
4. college scholarship is icing on the cake
5 make new teammates from surrounding areas

From my viewpoint to have both of these would be awesome
Old 07-13-17, 09:38 AM
All District

Conan73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
The good things about HS soccer
1. more Television and news coverage for local sports
2. alumni tend to stay closer over the years
3. Playing with families you have known since kindergarten
4. Something to talk about with that teacher in the morning after a game
5. Banquets and awards are generally more forthcoming than club
6. Cost savings for 3 months from club can be put in a college fund
7. Playoffs are exciting - one and done format

Good things about club
1. Higher level of play
2. college scouts ( have seen them at HS games too though)
3. travel and competition is fun for families
4. college scholarship is icing on the cake
5 make new teammates from surrounding areas

From my viewpoint to have both of these would be awesome
Point #3 in your Good things about high school soccer can also be applied to club soccer. For many players, they rose up through one club; which means they will have played with some of their teammates since at least the U9 age group. I could also say that Point #3 is only valid for kids that didn't change school districts as they grew up and/or didn't go to a private school.

I would add three other thing good things about club....
6. Length of time on a club team creates strong bonds with teammates - some club teams (even CUP Gold, KHA Red, OEA ECNL, and other top teams in the area) have had a core nucleus of players that have been together for years before they get to high school and during in some cases, the bond with their club teammates is stronger than the bond with their high school teammates. Also, even during high school, they are with their club teammates for 8-10 months of the year.

7. Better coaching - it goes with higher level of play

It's really up to the individual players in terms of how they rank the benefits of high school versus club. Some players will place a higher value on the benefits associated with playing for their club team vs playing high school soccer, while others will not...

I don't see anything wrong with either choice.
Old 07-13-17, 11:14 AM
Varsity

Penguin is on a distinguished road
I would add three other thing good things about club....
6. Length of time on a club team creates strong bonds with teammates - some club teams (even CUP Gold, KHA Red, OEA ECNL, and other top teams in the area) have had a core nucleus of players that have been together for years before they get to high school and during in some cases, the bond with their club teammates is stronger than the bond with their high school teammates. Also, even during high school, they are with their club teammates for 8-10 months of the year.

7. Better coaching - it goes with higher level of play

It's really up to the individual players in terms of how they rank the benefits of high school versus club. Some players will place a higher value on the benefits associated with playing for their club team vs playing high school soccer, while others will not...

I don't see anything wrong with either choice.[/QUOTE]

Conan73 All good points. I might add After club, players go to college which gives an experience of a combination of the two- going to classes, supporting other teams, team meals, news coverage or web and from club experience obviously all the players and coaches are high level, leagues and wins are important, not everybody plays -which Im not sure anything prepares you for that
Old 07-17-17, 12:25 AM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Two interesting reads:

Is Development Academy Working? - https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...cademy-working

A Plan To Simplify Youth Soccer Competitions - https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...s-competitions
Old 07-17-17, 09:31 PM
All District

Reynaldo2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthekeeper View Post
No community has ever rallied around high school soccer and kids don't play for community pride. Football (and maybe basketball) is the only high school sport that an entire community might get behind. High school soccer players are playing in front of their parents and maybe grandparents and possibly a few friends. I would argue they have more pride playing for their club.
Boy these threads have a way of getting off topic.....

You obviously did not go to the state finals and see the hundreds of Loveland fans in the stands who made the trip to Columbus. Or a Mason boys game with 50-100 students cheering. Granted, for a weekday game that is not a rival game there are not a lot of non-parent fans, but go to any Saturday night boys or girls game at a soccer school and you will see a decent crowd. Go to almost any club game and you will hear crickets.

Players are announced, national anthem played, stadium atmosphere....On Monday people are talking about the game, teachers asking how they did....I go to the local Skyline and see the HS girls team's poster up on the wall...That is all part of the HS experience that the clubbers don't understand. And, this premise that all club teams are better than HS teams is just wrong. Maybe for the CUP gold, OE ECNL and Hammer teams, but other than that I would put the top ten HS teams up against any club team in the city. Many of the HS coaches these days are also licensed club coaches and just as good and what you would see at the club level. Of course, if you are talking DA, ECNL the talent is obviously better, but that is only a small fraction of the players who play soccer.
Old 07-18-17, 05:33 AM
All District

Don't most of your private school and big public school girls play club?
Old 07-19-17, 08:21 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
HS is a BIG BIG deal. The girls side does pack in the fans. It is a special time in these young ladies lives. Thanks for ruining it DA.
Old 07-19-17, 10:47 AM
All American

buckshooter5 is on a distinguished road
Free is for me! And somehow this makes everything better :-(
Old 08-31-17, 08:21 AM
All District

sportsfanofyear is on a distinguished road
Article on Notre Dame commit - Lake Catholic soccer’s Kati Druzina bucks club trend, stays to lead Cougars - http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...o-lead-cougars
Old 08-31-17, 08:37 AM
All Ohio

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
As a parent my favorite thing about HS is practice is right afterschool. They are home for dinner and able to do homework on school nights. Much more time/flexibility for our situation to study and eat as a family and is a nice break from the club environment/travel, etc.

Both have lots of positives.
Old 08-31-17, 08:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfanofyear View Post
Article on Notre Dame commit - Lake Catholic soccer’s Kati Druzina bucks club trend, stays to lead Cougars - http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...o-lead-cougars
The Cleveland/Akron area doesn't have a GDA club. The nearest would be in the Detroit area with the Hawks and the Nationals - still a 2:45 to 3 hour drive. She is with CFC. Do they have a fall team? Would she be doing the same if there was a GDA club in Cleveland?
Old 08-31-17, 11:13 AM
All District

I've heard you guys tout HS ball, but I competely understand the girls who would rather play club year round. My daughter regrets not playing fall ball with OE.

Sure she gets to play with her friends, but it's not the way they played together at U11. Non-club girls/families really don't understand the club world or the level of committment needed to play at high levels. They tend to run the gamut of the social athlete who played with your Mia at U10, to the multi sport athlete who touches the ball from July-October and depends on HS ball for her shot at D1 soccer.

This creates a whirlpool of contradicting personal and team goals that makes it difficult for club girls to win at (Particularly in the big school division). I actually had a parent text and accuse me of removing his daughter's stats from last season.

I wanted my little Mia to play HS because of the life skills kids learn from sports. Managing relationships of people with various skills and goals, and a boss she may or may not agree with. How to perform and make everyone feel a part of success. But a lot of times the stress from all this more than outweighs the postives of playing HS ball.

She's said she can't wait to get back with her OE teammates and honestly I can't wait to hang out with the families on road trips.
Old 08-31-17, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
what stops her from playing now hate to see hr so ate up about it cant she just go play fall now why wait
Old 08-31-17, 01:00 PM
All American

Things sound really tough for your Little Mia, Hoosier!
Old 08-31-17, 03:34 PM
All Region

Empty CUP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
The Cleveland/Akron area doesn't have a GDA club. The nearest would be in the Detroit area with the Hawks and the Nationals - still a 2:45 to 3 hour drive. She is with CFC. Do they have a fall team? Would she be doing the same if there was a GDA club in Cleveland?
Based on the lack of high quality kids falling over themselves to play for the GDA here, I'd bet she would do the same thing.

On a side note It was sure nice watching the Podojil girls play HS ball last night. The GDA and CUP will for damn sure miss two of the highest ranked players in the state.
Old 09-01-17, 08:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty CUP View Post
On a side note It was sure nice watching the Podojil girls play HS ball last night. The GDA and CUP will for damn sure miss two of the highest ranked players in the state.
They're outstanding track athletes also.
Old 09-01-17, 06:14 PM
All District

It's early, they're not meeting last year;s expectations. It's never good to make a decision in the heat of the moment. She'll finish out and make a determination next year.

I'm looking forward to watching the Podojil girls play as well.
Old 09-01-17, 11:36 PM
Freshman

onehotbobo is on a distinguished road
Great comments on here with good insight from different perspectives. All you guys have good points. The DA will not kill HS soccer. The quality will suffer some but they'll always be enough decent players to make the game fun to watch for the parents, boosters. and friends of the players. There's still excellent players that don't play DA. In the GWOC there's only a few teams that ever field decent teams anyway, so it's not like you'll notice much differences from most of the teams. It looks to me like the top 3 teams in GWOC have decent D1 talent still and the competitiveness is as high as ever. Rival games are alive and well - the parents and fans feel it - the players live it. It will never die - it's just not as good as it could be, but the life long experiences are still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-17, 09:04 PM
All District

I'm a little confused. The second leading scorer in the GWOC was listed on the Cincy DA roster. Is it possible to do both DA and HS?

http://www.gwocsports.com/statsPage....1&v=a&stat=off

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: