Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-17, 10:01 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,082
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
2017 Middletown Middies

Lance Engleka hired Offensive Coordinator Mike Schneider and Defensive Coodrinator John Cupps. Both hires are definitely upgrades. I like the hires hope there is enough talent to have something to mold to improve. The good thing is the bar is not set very high. What does everyone think about the hires?

Mike Schneider was Wayne Head Coach from 1981-1998 128-44-2 record won 6 Western Ohio League championships.
Assistant Coach-Chaminade-Julienne HS 1998-1999,
Assistant Coach-Northmont HS 1999-2015,
Assistant Coach-Xenia HS 2015-2017

John Cupps was Defensive Coordinator for Lasalle and Massillon

Last edited by Middie 85 Alum; 06-27-17 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-26-17, 10:50 AM
borntopin borntopin is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-06-13
Posts: 173
borntopin is on a distinguished road
Looks great on paper, I just don't know any of those guys. Has to be an major improvement from what we have seen the last 5-6 years. Only one way to go after an 0-10 year. Im pulling for them to be competitive again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-17, 08:15 AM
Groundhog Day Groundhog Day is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-20-16
Posts: 42
Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Cupps was also DC at Springfield (08-10) when they made 2 playoff appearances.
Good hires on both sides of the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-17, 03:35 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,082
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Middies are competing in the 7on7 Invitational at Welcome Stadium on Monday 9am.anyone know what other teams will be competing?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-17, 04:17 PM
buckeyes99 buckeyes99 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 07-09-17
Posts: 12
buckeyes99 is on a distinguished road
Look at their schedule. They may improve, but how much do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-17, 04:28 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: Wayne 45 Centerville 8
Posts: 34,437
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
If Mike Schneider is your OC then the Middies will be throwing the ball 80% of the time......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-17, 05:44 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,082
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes99 View Post
Look at their schedule. They may improve, but how much do you think?
It depends what you consider improvement. If it is wins, then I would be surprised if there was much improvement in wins, if any. Like I have said before with zero wins last year the bar is not set high. With a new O & D Coordinators, it may be a big learning curve. The new coordinators may want to change last year's systems which could make them less efficient especially in the first part of the season. Add on top of that not a ton of talent coming back, then it could be another long season. Improvement may need to come in becoming more competitive as a team and more efficient at QB.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-17, 12:50 AM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 190
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Lance Engleka hired Offensive Coordinator Mike Schneider and Defensive Coodrinator John Cupps. Both hires are definitely upgrades. I like the hires hope there is enough talent to have something to mold to improve. The good thing is the bar is not set very high. What does everyone think about the hires?

Mike Schneider was Wayne Head Coach from 1981-1998 128-44-2 record won 6 Western Ohio League championships.
Assistant Coach-Chaminade-Julienne HS 1998-1999,
Assistant Coach-Northmont HS 1999-2015,
Assistant Coach-Xenia HS 2015-2017

John Cupps was Defensive Coordinator for Lasalle and Massillon
Mike Schneider is a great hire for anyone and you are fortunate he was available. Schneider is a MVFCA Hall of Fame Coach - He took a Wayne team that was 0-10 the year before he got there to 5 straight WOL Championships and playoff berths during the height of Centerville Hall of Fame Coach Bob Gregg's great career to Gregg's & Centerville's chagrin. I remember well watching him beat Kirk Herbstreit & a good Elks team 45-0 one year. Also remember a close loss in a hard fought state playoff game to Hall of Fame Coach Jim Place and Middletown. Schneider led the NCAA in passing as a QB at Wilmington in the early 70s and I believe was named to his divisions All American Team. Mike knows how to read and exploit an opponents defense with the best of the O-Coordinators if not better. One of the best to ever coach in the Miami Valley, he retired as Head Coach and Athletic Director at Wayne and has stayed in the game as an assistant ever since.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 07-17-17 at 01:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-17, 01:19 AM
Ballboy000 Ballboy000 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-21-15
Posts: 190
Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If Mike Schneider is your OC then the Middies will be throwing the ball 80% of the time......
Mike likes to throw Vamps but 80% is an exaggeration. We didn't throw "that" much when he was at Wayne and I still have a lot of the stats & scouting reports for those games somewhere in my storage. To the contrary we were closer to 40/60 pass/run during his overall career as a head coach.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 07-17-17 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-17, 02:48 AM
warriorblue warriorblue is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-19-02
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,844
warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Middletown faithful, the school will never be what it once was. You guys get good coaches and run them out. The players aren't there man.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-17, 04:33 PM
HardCorps HardCorps is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 55
HardCorps is on a distinguished road
I recall driving down rt 4, when Krause was still the coach, and when I went by Douglas Park, that big open field was filled with pee wee football players. I do not know if it was an opening day activity or what, but I remember thinking, Krause has it going on in Middletown.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-17-17, 05:19 PM
AllStateKnight AllStateKnight is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-16-09
Posts: 549
AllStateKnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes99 View Post
Look at their schedule. They may improve, but how much do you think?
AUG. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 25 Lima Sr. 7:00 PM
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 1 Springboro 7:00 PM
Fri. 8 Colerain 7:00 PM
Fri. 15 Princeton 7:00 PM
Fri. 22 at Sycamore 7:00 PM
Fri. 29 Hamilton 7:00 PM
OCT. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 6 at Mason 7:00 PM
Fri. 13 at Lakota West 7:00 PM
Fri. 20 Oak Hills 7:00 PM
Fri. 27 at Fairfield 7:00 PM

Looking at their schedule an 0-10 season seems very likely.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-17, 02:27 PM
markc markc is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 764
markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Middletown faithful, the school will never be what it once was. You guys get good coaches and run them out. The players aren't there man.
Krause - great coach
Everhart - good coach
Wells - horrible coach
Engleka - good coach

Krause left on his own. He wasnt run out. Everhart may have been run out but you forget he tried to leave after his first year to return to Indiana. Wells had the worst staff in the Middie history - he surrounded himself with friends and pee wee coaches with no experience. Engleka is a good one. He just has an empty cupboard right now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-17, 02:28 PM
markc markc is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 764
markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Mike likes to throw Vamps but 80% is an exaggeration. We didn't throw "that" much when he was at Wayne and I still have a lot of the stats & scouting reports for those games somewhere in my storage. To the contrary we were closer to 40/60 pass/run during his overall career as a head coach.
good to hear. Offensive line is a huge weakness for us, we need to get rid of the ball quick. Hopefully the Blake Marshall at QB experiment is over and we move on to Zach.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-17, 02:45 PM
marvinlewis08 marvinlewis08 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-09-08
Posts: 1,318
marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Krause - great coach
Everhart - good coach
Wells - horrible coach
Engleka - good coach

Krause left on his own. He wasnt run out. Everhart may have been run out but you forget he tried to leave after his first year to return to Indiana. Wells had the worst staff in the Middie history - he surrounded himself with friends and pee wee coaches with no experience. Engleka is a good one. He just has an empty cupboard right now.
Wells went 4-6 in back to back seasons, far from the Ofer delivered last season. Krause is an opportunist who wins like anyone else....when he has talent.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 PM
markc markc is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 764
markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
Wells went 4-6 in back to back seasons, far from the Ofer delivered last season. Krause is an opportunist who wins like anyone else....when he has talent.
Agree on Krause some. But Wells had 17 boys go on to play college ball off his teams and never had a winnning season. They had great talent.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-17, 06:10 PM
hoser hoser is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 7,343
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Agree on Krause some. But Wells had 17 boys go on to play college ball off his teams and never had a winnning season. They had great talent.
Uh, how you doin Marc? Wells is a quality person , don't know if he is a great coach. Middies are in the same situation as Princeton, a falling enrollment against schools with 900 kids to choose from. Don't know the answer, but the status quo is really bad.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-17, 07:41 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 20,635
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
Wells went 4-6 in back to back seasons, far from the Ofer delivered last season. Krause is an opportunist who wins like anyone else....when he has talent.
Then explain his success at Fairfield. I watched EVERY game during the disaster years of 2006 - 2010. During that five year stretch FF went 10 - 40 with only one winning record (6 - 4). The program was in a total shambles. Numbers were way down, the kids were not in shape and seemed to lack the basic football fundamentals of blocking & tackling.

Then coach Krause came in but it wasn't a picnic at first. During his 1st two seasons his teams went 3 - 17. But you could see the improvement from game to game. The numbers went up and the kids looked bigger, stronger and were in better shape. Now with his program firmly in place FF has reeled off four consecutive winning seasons and has made the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years. Their cumulative record during this time was 30 -13.

Sure they still need to get over the hump and win a playoff game but I'm confident they are about to knock that door in. And yes the program is now overflowing with talent. But much of it is homegrown and coach Krause has been very good at keeping football players at FF. As an aside few public schools have the quality private school competition that the Indians face (Badin, CHCA, LaSalle, Saint X and even Moeller & Elder).

The rebuilding job Krause has achieved at FF is nothing short of miraculous. Unless you saw first hand how far they had fallen you can't begin to understand the mess this program was in prior to coach Krause's arrival.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-17, 08:26 PM
DonMagicRon DonMagicRon is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-30-10
Location: God's Country
Posts: 7,355
DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Krause has done a good job but he didn't walk into all doom and gloom because Fairfield had two things 1. money in its athletic department and 2. an enormous student body. Fairfield was just a sleeping giant waiting to be awaken. Middletown on the other hand has neither money or bodies. Its an hopeless and impossible situation.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-21-17, 08:20 AM
markc markc is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 764
markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, how you doin Marc? Wells is a quality person , don't know if he is a great coach. Middies are in the same situation as Princeton, a falling enrollment against schools with 900 kids to choose from. Don't know the answer, but the status quo is really bad.
doing good hoser. hope all is well. How is your Cougars looking this year. This board has changed. Used to be a lot of posts about the Middies and the Cougars but not anymore.

I hate that my Middies are picked at the bottom of the GMC again but what I saw last year I understand.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-21-17, 10:43 AM
hoser hoser is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 7,343
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
doing good hoser. hope all is well. How is your Cougars looking this year. This board has changed. Used to be a lot of posts about the Middies and the Cougars but not anymore.

I hate that my Middies are picked at the bottom of the GMC again but what I saw last year I understand.
Uh, Edgewood lost 14 starters including one of the best QBs in the history of the school. JV and freshmen were something like 15 -2, so there are good players in the system. Season will depend on how fast the QB develops. Middletown is hard to figure. Obviously changing coaches every season is not a recipe for success.Playing in the arguably the 2nd best league in the state also a problem. Mason looks like they have turned the corner in football and with their numbers to choose from, could be a force in the future. Kids today are very different than in the past.They have so many things to occupy their spare time and lets face it football is hard work and takes time away from those others things to do. Sad the Middies are in the position they are in but there is only one way to go and that is up.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-21-17, 10:53 AM
elkfan elkfan is offline
Voice of Reason
 
Join Date: 08-12-03
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,135
elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStateKnight View Post
AUG. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 25 Lima Sr. 7:00 PM
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 1 Springboro 7:00 PM
Fri. 8 Colerain 7:00 PM
Fri. 15 Princeton 7:00 PM
Fri. 22 at Sycamore 7:00 PM
Fri. 29 Hamilton 7:00 PM
OCT. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 6 at Mason 7:00 PM
Fri. 13 at Lakota West 7:00 PM
Fri. 20 Oak Hills 7:00 PM
Fri. 27 at Fairfield 7:00 PM

Looking at their schedule an 0-10 season seems very likely.
Tough schedule for sure. A few winnable games: Princeton, Hamilton, Lima Sr, Oak Hills
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-21-17, 03:25 PM
hoser hoser is offline
Moderated User
 
Join Date: 08-19-13
Location: shangra-lah
Posts: 7,343
hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Krause has done a good job but he didn't walk into all doom and gloom because Fairfield had two things 1. money in its athletic department and 2. an enormous student body. Fairfield was just a sleeping giant waiting to be awaken. Middletown on the other hand has neither money or bodies. Its an hopeless and impossible situation.
Uh, DMR you are the #1 recruiter for Woods. I hope those coaches over there appreciate your efforts.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-01-17, 10:11 AM
SouthwestOhioGuy17 SouthwestOhioGuy17 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-22-15
Posts: 971
SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Middletown

Middies eager to move forward after 0-10 season

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...CGALuOcTDqKLL/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-01-17, 01:06 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,082
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Middie Helmet Change

Not a big fan of changing to the white helmets.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-01-17, 05:44 PM
LovelandMiddie LovelandMiddie is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Posts: 3,294
LovelandMiddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Not a big fan of changing to the white helmets.
Me neither!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-02-17, 09:28 AM
markc markc is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-04-13
Posts: 764
markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Not a big fan of changing to the white helmets.
Hate the white helmets!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-02-17, 10:48 AM
Tom.OH Tom.OH is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-20-12
Location: Upper West Chester
Posts: 293
Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
I have been going to Middies games since 1964 and have never seen them in anything but PURPLE helmets!
But maybe this will give them a new start...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-02-17, 11:22 PM
Middie 85 Alum's Avatar
Middie 85 Alum Middie 85 Alum is offline
GO MIDDIES
 
Join Date: 12-29-08
Location: IL
Posts: 16,082
Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I have been going to Middies games since 1964 and have never seen them in anything but PURPLE helmets!
But maybe this will give them a new start...
I sure hope it was related to saving money on paint or the white ones had more padding vs someone thinking it looked better.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-04-17, 10:58 PM
LovelandMiddie LovelandMiddie is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Posts: 3,294
LovelandMiddie
Well...ok
If the Middies are going to improve on their record, it won't be by much. Looking at the schedule I could see another winless season. Who would be the team that Middletown would have a shot at picking up a win. For the life of me I don't know who it would be. I mean really! I'm just looking at this purely analytically.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Other Ohio Schools Schedules EagleFan Football 40 09-11-17 08:35 AM
2017 Division VII Schedules EagleFan Football 24 06-06-17 07:12 PM
2017 Division VI Schedules EagleFan Football 13 06-06-17 07:12 PM
Middletown Middies New Arena Vike16 Boys Basketball 24 06-06-17 06:49 PM
2017 Middies and Xavier Peters M86 Football 7 05-05-17 02:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz