Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-25-17, 10:01 PM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
2017 Middletown Middies

Lance Engleka hired Offensive Coordinator Mike Schneider and Defensive Coodrinator John Cupps. Both hires are definitely upgrades. I like the hires hope there is enough talent to have something to mold to improve. The good thing is the bar is not set very high. What does everyone think about the hires?

Mike Schneider was Wayne Head Coach from 1981-1998 128-44-2 record won 6 Western Ohio League championships.
Assistant Coach-Chaminade-Julienne HS 1998-1999,
Assistant Coach-Northmont HS 1999-2015,
Assistant Coach-Xenia HS 2015-2017

John Cupps was Defensive Coordinator for Lasalle and Massillon

Last edited by Middie 85 Alum; 06-27-17 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-17, 10:50 AM
All District

borntopin is on a distinguished road
Looks great on paper, I just don't know any of those guys. Has to be an major improvement from what we have seen the last 5-6 years. Only one way to go after an 0-10 year. Im pulling for them to be competitive again.
Old 06-27-17, 08:15 AM
Junior Varsity

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Cupps was also DC at Springfield (08-10) when they made 2 playoff appearances.
Good hires on both sides of the ball.
Old 07-16-17, 03:35 PM
GO MIDDIES

Middies are competing in the 7on7 Invitational at Welcome Stadium on Monday 9am.anyone know what other teams will be competing?
Old 07-16-17, 04:17 PM
Freshman

buckeyes99 is on a distinguished road
Look at their schedule. They may improve, but how much do you think?
Old 07-16-17, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
If Mike Schneider is your OC then the Middies will be throwing the ball 80% of the time......
Old 07-16-17, 05:44 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes99 View Post
It depends what you consider improvement. If it is wins, then I would be surprised if there was much improvement in wins, if any. Like I have said before with zero wins last year the bar is not set high. With a new O & D Coordinators, it may be a big learning curve. The new coordinators may want to change last year's systems which could make them less efficient especially in the first part of the season. Add on top of that not a ton of talent coming back, then it could be another long season. Improvement may need to come in becoming more competitive as a team and more efficient at QB.
Old 07-17-17, 12:50 AM
All District

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
Lance Engleka hired Offensive Coordinator Mike Schneider and Defensive Coodrinator John Cupps. Both hires are definitely upgrades. I like the hires hope there is enough talent to have something to mold to improve. The good thing is the bar is not set very high. What does everyone think about the hires?

Mike Schneider was Wayne Head Coach from 1981-1998 128-44-2 record won 6 Western Ohio League championships.
Assistant Coach-Chaminade-Julienne HS 1998-1999,
Assistant Coach-Northmont HS 1999-2015,
Assistant Coach-Xenia HS 2015-2017

John Cupps was Defensive Coordinator for Lasalle and Massillon
Mike Schneider is a great hire for anyone and you are fortunate he was available. Schneider is a MVFCA Hall of Fame Coach - He took a Wayne team that was 0-10 the year before he got there to 5 straight WOL Championships and playoff berths during the height of Centerville Hall of Fame Coach Bob Gregg's great career to Gregg's & Centerville's chagrin. I remember well watching him beat Kirk Herbstreit & a good Elks team 45-0 one year. Also remember a close loss in a hard fought state playoff game to Hall of Fame Coach Jim Place and Middletown. Schneider led the NCAA in passing as a QB at Wilmington in the early 70s and I believe was named to his divisions All American Team. Mike knows how to read and exploit an opponents defense with the best of the O-Coordinators if not better. One of the best to ever coach in the Miami Valley, he retired as Head Coach and Athletic Director at Wayne and has stayed in the game as an assistant ever since.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 07-17-17 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 01:19 AM
All District

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
If Mike Schneider is your OC then the Middies will be throwing the ball 80% of the time......
Mike likes to throw Vamps but 80% is an exaggeration. We didn't throw "that" much when he was at Wayne and I still have a lot of the stats & scouting reports for those games somewhere in my storage. To the contrary we were closer to 40/60 pass/run during his overall career as a head coach.

Last edited by Ballboy000; 07-17-17 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 02:48 AM
All World

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Middletown faithful, the school will never be what it once was. You guys get good coaches and run them out. The players aren't there man.
Old 07-17-17, 04:33 PM
Varsity

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
I recall driving down rt 4, when Krause was still the coach, and when I went by Douglas Park, that big open field was filled with pee wee football players. I do not know if it was an opening day activity or what, but I remember thinking, Krause has it going on in Middletown.
Old 07-17-17, 05:19 PM
All Ohio

AllStateKnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes99 View Post
AUG. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 25 Lima Sr. 7:00 PM
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 1 Springboro 7:00 PM
Fri. 8 Colerain 7:00 PM
Fri. 15 Princeton 7:00 PM
Fri. 22 at Sycamore 7:00 PM
Fri. 29 Hamilton 7:00 PM
OCT. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 6 at Mason 7:00 PM
Fri. 13 at Lakota West 7:00 PM
Fri. 20 Oak Hills 7:00 PM
Fri. 27 at Fairfield 7:00 PM

Looking at their schedule an 0-10 season seems very likely.
Old 07-18-17, 02:27 PM
All Ohio

markc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Middletown faithful, the school will never be what it once was. You guys get good coaches and run them out. The players aren't there man.
Krause - great coach
Everhart - good coach
Wells - horrible coach
Engleka - good coach

Krause left on his own. He wasnt run out. Everhart may have been run out but you forget he tried to leave after his first year to return to Indiana. Wells had the worst staff in the Middie history - he surrounded himself with friends and pee wee coaches with no experience. Engleka is a good one. He just has an empty cupboard right now.
Old 07-18-17, 02:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Mike likes to throw Vamps but 80% is an exaggeration. We didn't throw "that" much when he was at Wayne and I still have a lot of the stats & scouting reports for those games somewhere in my storage. To the contrary we were closer to 40/60 pass/run during his overall career as a head coach.
good to hear. Offensive line is a huge weakness for us, we need to get rid of the ball quick. Hopefully the Blake Marshall at QB experiment is over and we move on to Zach.
Old 07-18-17, 02:45 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Krause - great coach
Everhart - good coach
Wells - horrible coach
Engleka - good coach

Krause left on his own. He wasnt run out. Everhart may have been run out but you forget he tried to leave after his first year to return to Indiana. Wells had the worst staff in the Middie history - he surrounded himself with friends and pee wee coaches with no experience. Engleka is a good one. He just has an empty cupboard right now.
Wells went 4-6 in back to back seasons, far from the Ofer delivered last season. Krause is an opportunist who wins like anyone else....when he has talent.
Old 07-18-17, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
Wells went 4-6 in back to back seasons, far from the Ofer delivered last season. Krause is an opportunist who wins like anyone else....when he has talent.
Agree on Krause some. But Wells had 17 boys go on to play college ball off his teams and never had a winnning season. They had great talent.
Old 07-18-17, 06:10 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Agree on Krause some. But Wells had 17 boys go on to play college ball off his teams and never had a winnning season. They had great talent.
Uh, how you doin Marc? Wells is a quality person , don't know if he is a great coach. Middies are in the same situation as Princeton, a falling enrollment against schools with 900 kids to choose from. Don't know the answer, but the status quo is really bad.
Old 07-18-17, 07:41 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
Then explain his success at Fairfield. I watched EVERY game during the disaster years of 2006 - 2010. During that five year stretch FF went 10 - 40 with only one winning record (6 - 4). The program was in a total shambles. Numbers were way down, the kids were not in shape and seemed to lack the basic football fundamentals of blocking & tackling.

Then coach Krause came in but it wasn't a picnic at first. During his 1st two seasons his teams went 3 - 17. But you could see the improvement from game to game. The numbers went up and the kids looked bigger, stronger and were in better shape. Now with his program firmly in place FF has reeled off four consecutive winning seasons and has made the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years. Their cumulative record during this time was 30 -13.

Sure they still need to get over the hump and win a playoff game but I'm confident they are about to knock that door in. And yes the program is now overflowing with talent. But much of it is homegrown and coach Krause has been very good at keeping football players at FF. As an aside few public schools have the quality private school competition that the Indians face (Badin, CHCA, LaSalle, Saint X and even Moeller & Elder).

The rebuilding job Krause has achieved at FF is nothing short of miraculous. Unless you saw first hand how far they had fallen you can't begin to understand the mess this program was in prior to coach Krause's arrival.
Old 07-18-17, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Krause has done a good job but he didn't walk into all doom and gloom because Fairfield had two things 1. money in its athletic department and 2. an enormous student body. Fairfield was just a sleeping giant waiting to be awaken. Middletown on the other hand has neither money or bodies. Its an hopeless and impossible situation.
Old 07-21-17, 08:20 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, how you doin Marc? Wells is a quality person , don't know if he is a great coach. Middies are in the same situation as Princeton, a falling enrollment against schools with 900 kids to choose from. Don't know the answer, but the status quo is really bad.
doing good hoser. hope all is well. How is your Cougars looking this year. This board has changed. Used to be a lot of posts about the Middies and the Cougars but not anymore.

I hate that my Middies are picked at the bottom of the GMC again but what I saw last year I understand.
Old 07-21-17, 10:43 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
doing good hoser. hope all is well. How is your Cougars looking this year. This board has changed. Used to be a lot of posts about the Middies and the Cougars but not anymore.

I hate that my Middies are picked at the bottom of the GMC again but what I saw last year I understand.
Uh, Edgewood lost 14 starters including one of the best QBs in the history of the school. JV and freshmen were something like 15 -2, so there are good players in the system. Season will depend on how fast the QB develops. Middletown is hard to figure. Obviously changing coaches every season is not a recipe for success.Playing in the arguably the 2nd best league in the state also a problem. Mason looks like they have turned the corner in football and with their numbers to choose from, could be a force in the future. Kids today are very different than in the past.They have so many things to occupy their spare time and lets face it football is hard work and takes time away from those others things to do. Sad the Middies are in the position they are in but there is only one way to go and that is up.
Old 07-21-17, 10:53 AM
Voice of Reason

elkfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStateKnight View Post
AUG. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 25 Lima Sr. 7:00 PM
SEP. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 1 Springboro 7:00 PM
Fri. 8 Colerain 7:00 PM
Fri. 15 Princeton 7:00 PM
Fri. 22 at Sycamore 7:00 PM
Fri. 29 Hamilton 7:00 PM
OCT. 2017 OPPONENT TIME LOCATION
Fri. 6 at Mason 7:00 PM
Fri. 13 at Lakota West 7:00 PM
Fri. 20 Oak Hills 7:00 PM
Fri. 27 at Fairfield 7:00 PM

Looking at their schedule an 0-10 season seems very likely.
Tough schedule for sure. A few winnable games: Princeton, Hamilton, Lima Sr, Oak Hills
Old 07-21-17, 03:25 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Krause has done a good job but he didn't walk into all doom and gloom because Fairfield had two things 1. money in its athletic department and 2. an enormous student body. Fairfield was just a sleeping giant waiting to be awaken. Middletown on the other hand has neither money or bodies. Its an hopeless and impossible situation.
Uh, DMR you are the #1 recruiter for Woods. I hope those coaches over there appreciate your efforts.
Old 08-01-17, 10:11 AM
All Ohio

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Middletown

Middies eager to move forward after 0-10 season

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...CGALuOcTDqKLL/
Old 08-01-17, 01:06 PM
GO MIDDIES

Middie Helmet Change

Not a big fan of changing to the white helmets.
Old 08-01-17, 05:44 PM
All World

LovelandMiddie
Quote:
Me neither!
Old 08-02-17, 09:28 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Hate the white helmets!
Old 08-02-17, 10:48 AM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
I have been going to Middies games since 1964 and have never seen them in anything but PURPLE helmets!
But maybe this will give them a new start...
Old 08-02-17, 11:22 PM
GO MIDDIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
I have been going to Middies games since 1964 and have never seen them in anything but PURPLE helmets!
But maybe this will give them a new start...
I sure hope it was related to saving money on paint or the white ones had more padding vs someone thinking it looked better.
Old 08-04-17, 10:58 PM
All World

LovelandMiddie
Well...ok
If the Middies are going to improve on their record, it won't be by much. Looking at the schedule I could see another winless season. Who would be the team that Middletown would have a shot at picking up a win. For the life of me I don't know who it would be. I mean really! I'm just looking at this purely analytically.