Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-25-17, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
I was not being critical either. From the buildup given him on here by some, he was the next coming of John Elway. Those folks would have us to believe he'd dominate right out of the gate.

Surprised Hoban didn't have an experienced QB in waiting. Like the QB from last year's JV squad.
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...nship-in-a-row

They had one but apparently he is easily forgotten. (2:00 mark)
Old 08-25-17, 01:00 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Just what I expected from a freshman QB. One big mistake early in the game and then the coach didn't trust him. Hoban will win a number of games but this is not a state championship team right now unless the coach starts trusting his QB.
Old 08-25-17, 02:36 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Just what I expected from a freshman QB. One big mistake early in the game and then the coach didn't trust him. Hoban will win a number of games but this is not a state championship team right now unless the coach starts trusting his QB.
Yes, if coach had more trust in him he wouldn't have thrown those two interceptions.
Old 08-25-17, 02:45 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I didn't say that very clear. I meant that the coach didn't trust the freshman QB, which is to be expected because he is a freshman QB.

For Hoban to win the state championship this year, they need a more experienced QB that the coach trusts. Apparently that doesn't exist on this team.

Its a shame because the rest of the team looks like a state championship caliber team.
Old 08-25-17, 02:57 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I didn't say that very clear. I meant that the coach didn't trust the freshman QB, which is to be expected because he is a freshman QB.

For Hoban to win the state championship this year, they need a more experienced QB that the coach trusts. Apparently that doesn't exist on this team.

Its a shame because the rest of the team looks like a state championship caliber team.
I do think that against other teams, he won't get pressured nearly as much and Hoban will be able to hunker down and play ball control offense.
Old 08-26-17, 07:52 AM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/hi...nship-in-a-row

They had one but apparently he is easily forgotten. (2:00 mark)

Always a good sign when you're in the QB mix and the head coach can't remember your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-17, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

Region2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is probably going to get worse before it gets better. A couple good lineman can't make up for lack of depth and inexperience in the higher divisions. Tyrell is always going to revert to his running game when things get tough. Very predictable.
Old 08-26-17, 10:50 AM
All Region

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Region2 View Post
This is probably going to get worse before it gets better. A couple good lineman can't make up for lack of depth and inexperience in the higher divisions. Tyrell is always going to revert to his running game when things get tough. Very predictable.
Hoban will not see a better team all year than they did Thursday night. So I would be surprised if things got worse. Definitely work to be done and thought we could have played harder but depth at the OL isn't one of the problems. Inexperience isn't the problem either with kids who have played 30 games in 2 years against strong competition. Ignatius was the problem. They showed up for 4 quarters and we played 2. Effort was the problem. They wanted it more than we did. Losing 17-3 to one of the best teams and programs in the state is motivation to work harder. Running game has to be established to open up the pass. Not rocket science.
Old 08-26-17, 07:48 PM
All Region

Hoban2019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Understood. I think the thought might be that Hoban QB must take his lumps early on, so that in the playoffs he is the one who the coach has confidence in. Whether that pans out, who knows.
Old 08-27-17, 09:15 AM
All Ohio

Backdrop 1040 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'm going to assume he earned the spot and Hoban has no better person to play QB. As I said, he's in the rarest of situations.

I think the critics need to back off a little. He was a kid playing his first high school football game against a program that has been a national powerhouse.
After watching both scrimmages I don't understand not starting the senior qb. He clearly has a very strong arm and he moved the offense with a vertical passing game. The frosh qb looked pretty much like he did in the scrimmages. True that is the probably the best team Hoban will see all season, but that has nothing to do with a kids arm strength.
Old 08-27-17, 11:45 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdrop 1040 View Post
After watching both scrimmages I don't understand not starting the senior qb. He clearly has a very strong arm and he moved the offense with a vertical passing game. The frosh qb looked pretty much like he did in the scrimmages. True that is the probably the best team Hoban will see all season, but that has nothing to do with a kids arm strength.
Although the senior QB does have a strong arm he did not win the position outright through his overall performance in scrimmages. It was the Freshman that threw both TD passes in the first scrimmage and also in the second scrimmage. 2 of the 3 were plus 50 yards. Freshman also showed the ability to scramble and throw on the run. Coaching staff at Hoban will play who they think is the best at that position. Grade and age doesn't come into play from what I have seen. Senior is a great kid and his opportunity may present itself at some point at QB or WR.
Old 08-27-17, 12:25 PM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He was never coming unless he was going to be the starter...this was a done deal. The kid was worked out prior...
Old 08-27-17, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Although the senior QB does have a strong arm he did not win the position outright through his overall performance in scrimmages. It was the Freshman that threw both TD passes in the first scrimmage and also in the second scrimmage. 2 of the 3 were plus 50 yards. Freshman also showed the ability to scramble and throw on the run. Coaching staff at Hoban will play who they think is the best at that position. Grade and age doesn't come into play from what I have seen. Senior is a great kid and his opportunity may present itself at some point at QB or WR.
I am not saying, start him just because he is a senior. I was just distinguishing between the 2. The freshman definitely threw more TD''s in the scrimmage, but the team responded better to senior. That scrambling and throwing up the jump ball isn't going to go far.... But like you said, the coaching staff will play who they want to play
Old 08-27-17, 12:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am not saying, start him just because he is a senior. I was just distinguishing between the 2. The freshman definitely threw more TD''s in the scrimmage, but the team responded better to senior. That scrambling and throwing up the jump ball isn't going to go far.... But like you said, the coaching staff will play who they want to play
How did the team respond better to the senior? What facts is that based on? I am sure it is just your opinion and you are entitled to it. Good QB's scramble and make throws to receivers who jump and make catches. I also did not say they will play who they want to play if you read my post. I said they will play who they feel is the best QB regardless of grade or age.
Old 08-27-17, 01:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
He was never coming unless he was going to be the starter...this was a done deal. The kid was worked out prior...
I guess I am naive but if the senior was better the coaches would have started him. I would say he was told he would compete with 1 other player for the job. 95% of Hoban incoming freshman play freshman ball. Exceptions are rare. Probably a handful over the past 4 years who have played varsity as freshman. Rarely to they even play JV. So my point is he must be pretty good in the coaches eye to start as a freshman. The senior who was beaten out transferred in, had to sit 5 games and played JV as a junior. If he was better he would be starting. He is being worked in at WR.
Old 08-27-17, 01:53 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
How did the team respond better to the senior? What facts is that based on? I am sure it is just your opinion and you are entitled to it. Good QB's scramble and make throws to receivers who jump and make catches. I also did not say they will play who they want to play if you read my post. I said they will play who they feel is the best QB regardless of grade or age.
I know what you said, but I decided to paraphrase instead of doing a direct quote(my apologies). That aside.... if the freshman QB continues to perform like he did in week one, I believe that it would negligent of the coaching staff not to look at other options.
Old 08-27-17, 02:30 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
My guess is Mooney will follow Iggys blueprint. Stack the box and force / dare Hamm to throw veritically.
Old 08-27-17, 02:40 PM
Varsity

Packard-Fan is on a distinguished road

I'm told that many of the players feel that the senior gives Hoban the best chance to win. Although it's the coaches decision, continued ineffectiveness could potentially become a problem within the team.
Old 08-27-17, 03:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
I know what you said, but I decided to paraphrase instead of doing a direct quote(my apologies). That aside.... if the freshman QB continues to perform like he did in week one, I believe that it would negligent of the coaching staff not to look at other options.
If the team continues to perform like this I think a lot of options will be looked at at all positions.
Old 08-27-17, 04:04 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard-Fan View Post

I'm told that many of the players feel that the senior gives Hoban the best chance to win. Although it's the coaches decision, continued ineffectiveness could potentially become a problem within the team.
Senior is a good kid with many friends on the team. I am sure those closest to him would like to see him get that opportunity and he may at some point. I do not think there is any problem at this time other than Hoban faced a really good team and lost. Many players underperformed. I have not heard anyone question the coaches decision other than on here.
Old 08-27-17, 04:51 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Senior is a good kid with many friends on the team. I am sure those closest to him would like to see him get that opportunity and he may at some point. I do not think there is any problem at this time other than Hoban faced a really good team and lost. Many players underperformed. I have not heard anyone question the coaches decision other than on here.
I hope as a team all facets play better against Mooney, Offense-Defense-Special Teams. That said without increased offensive productivity team chemistry could suffer. Iggy was a very good team and several Hoban units could have played better. (ie offensive line/defensive backfield)
Hoban must have a vertical passing game, to back defenses up. If this doesn't happen, IMO Thursdays result will continue.
Oh yeah btw, I hear the QB decision questioned at my dinner table and between whomever we give a ride home.
Old 08-27-17, 05:34 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
St.V started a Frosh QB last year, and they had some issues, until he got some snaps under his belt. By the 2nd half of the season, he was doing just fine. The same will hold true for Hoban. He's surrounded by a lot of talent, as he gains experience and confidence, his game will improve. If his coach didn't think so, he'd be " Ridin' the Pine ". As others have stated, he saw his toughest opponent last Thursday. Best of luck, to him and the Knights.
Old 08-27-17, 05:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
St.V started a Frosh QB last year, and they had some issues, until he got some snaps under his belt. By the 2nd half of the season, he was doing just fine. The same will hold true for Hoban. He's surrounded by a lot of talent, as he gains experience and confidence, his game will improve. If his coach didn't think so, he'd be " Ridin' the Pine ". As others have stated, he saw his toughest opponent last Thursday. Best of luck, to him and the Knights.
That's true, but dealing with 16-17 year old teenagers is tough. Two State Championships should mean Coach knows what he's doing. Evident by Coach speaking that several strengths of the team not playing as well as anticipated, meaning the offensive line and defensive backfield. The young QB must be supported until(if) he gets better or a change is made.
Old 08-27-17, 06:23 PM
All Region

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's true, but dealing with 16-17 year old teenagers is tough. Two State Championships should mean Coach knows what he's doing. Evident by Coach speaking that several strengths of the team not playing as well as anticipated, meaning the offensive line and defensive backfield. The young QB must be supported until(if) he gets better or a change is made.
I agree 100%. With the coming opposition being weaker than St.I, it seems that the line play and defensive play should also improve. If it doesn't, than yes, that's a big problem. Personally, I think the Knights will regroup and come out swinging, giving their young QB a chance to start earning his stripes. Unless the coach has a personal beef with his senior QB, the only reason I can see that the Freshman is under center, is that the coach thinks he's a winner and is giving him the keys to the car, for the next 4 years.
Old 08-27-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
I agree 100%. With the coming opposition being weaker than St.I, it seems that the line play and defensive play should also improve. If it doesn't, than yes, that's a big problem. Personally, I think the Knights will regroup and come out swinging, giving their young QB a chance to start earning his stripes. Unless the coach has a personal beef with his senior QB, the only reason I can see that the Freshman is under center, is that the coach thinks he's a winner and is giving him the keys to the car, for the next 4 years.
...or at least until daddy gets mad and takes him elsewhere...

Let me be clear that I don't know anything about this kid's dad. I am speaking from the perspective of modern day youth sports.
Old 08-27-17, 07:24 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

When the defense repeatedly lines up 2 CB on 3 WR's, intentionally leaving the middle guy uncovered and the safety 20 yards off the line, then the QB throws the ball to the uncovered guy and he either scores or takes the ball for 50 yards ... to me that's on the coaches for the scheme, not the kids on the execution. Hoban has done that for years and I could never figure out why teams didn't take advantage of it more ... then we played St Ignatius.

And let's not kid ourselves on why Hoban is good ... they've searched northeast Ohio for better players. I wonder what the current coach would have done in 2013 with the players on Ralph Orsini's last team which went 1-9.

Old 08-27-17, 08:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
When the defense repeatedly lines up 2 CB on 3 WR's, intentionally leaving the middle guy uncovered and the safety 20 yards off the line, then the QB throws the ball to the uncovered guy and he either scores or takes the ball for 50 yards ... to me that's on the coaches for the scheme, not the kids on the execution. Hoban has done that for years and I could never figure out why teams didn't take advantage of it more ... then we played St Ignatius.

And let's not kid ourselves on why Hoban is good ... they've searched northeast Ohio for better players. I wonder what the current coach would have done in 2013 with the players on Ralph Orsini's last team which went 1-9.

I saw the same thing in the secondary. Either the LB is suppose to drop out in coverage or the safety has to come over and cover. Neither of which happened.

Hoban is better because of the head coach and the support of the administration and parents. The head coach sets the tone. His staff reflects his desire to win. The school has made capital improvements in the facilities, especially in the weight room and training facilities. One of the finest in the state of Ohio, even among colleges. This helps all Hoban athletes, not just football. The desire to win and compete at a high level has attracted many good student athletes. Players going to play at D1 & D2 colleges also attract better athletes. But it all starts with the coach. It took coach 2 years to turn program around. 5-5, 6-4 to 14-1 14-1 and 2 state titles.
Old 08-27-17, 08:27 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post

Hoban attempts to disguise it's man/zone concepts. Often when a db is on the #1 and #3 receiver they're not always playing man to man. At the snap, the coordination of the Rover, ILB and FS are crucial. The SS also plays a important role in seam play. This coordination did not occur and must get better.
Old 08-27-17, 10:59 PM
Varsity

57djr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
agree, fixed horse race
Old 08-28-17, 05:56 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57djr View Post
agree, fixed horse race
Not true. He was never worked out for coaches. He did play in an all star game at Hoban.