Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-29-16, 09:42 PM
Cooling Off

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Oh, so what is really the point of having the Most Valuable PLAYER, when you're going to use team accomplishments as the barometer?? Shouldn't all the Cubs get the awards then??

Look, my single point, which many of you keep seem to miss, is that SUPPOSEDLY...the MVP goes to a player that was on a good team. At least that's what y'all told me when the NL Award was given to Bryant.

But...then the AL gives it to Trout, who's Angles won 6 more games than the Reds this season. If Trout had incredible stats, I'd understand, but Votto and Trout's stats are very, very, very similar.

So please don't give me the garbage that the MVP goes to a player on a winning team, obviously in the AL, the writers used a different metric.
No one said that. Everyone said that is part of the reason. Stop being a moronic dumbazz.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-16, 08:25 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
No one said that. Everyone said that is part of the reason. Stop being a moronic dumbazz.
Most point to that reason as to why Votto wasn't in the top 3. You really don't like being wrong, do you??
Old 11-30-16, 08:58 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Most point to that reason as to why Votto wasn't in the top 3. You really don't like being wrong, do you??
Can you post an example or several since you claim most say this?
Old 11-30-16, 09:00 AM
Fake coolin' off

Notice 14reds doesn't even bother to discuss all the other factors people raised. What an absolute azzclown.
Old 11-30-16, 10:06 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Most point to a multitude of reasons as to why Votto wasn't in the top 3. You're too stupid to realize it.
Old 12-02-16, 09:36 AM
All American

Moving onto more important things, the Reds for '17. Could be some action the next few weeks in the winter meetings, although more than likely the Reds will stay pat for now. Most of the day to day lineup is in place for '17, and calculating everyone healthy, the rotation is about set. The bullpen, especially the front end, needs some work.
A couple of interesting names came up in a podcast Ctrent and Zack Buchanan, writers for the Cincy Enquirer. Two possible trade candidates, at least guys who could actually bring something back to the Reds - Billy Hamilton and Anthony DeSclafani. Don't disagree, but both, unless you got equal major league value, would substantially hurt the product for '17. DeSclafani is a true #2/ #3 starter, still relatively cheap and in team control. Very attractive for another team. You'd have to get a starter or an everyday position player for moving a guy that valuable.
Billy's another story. He would be more valuable in a home ballpark that would use his abilitys more. GABP has one of the smaller outfields, so we actually underutilize him from that standpoint. But he's one of the top 3 centerfielders in all of baseball, and it would be difficult to move him.

More than likely Zack Cozart will be gone, he's still relatively cheap for his age and tenure, but he is what he is. A light hitting, great glove shortstop coming off a knee injury. The Mariners were supposedly big on Cozart, but they recently signed Jean Segura so that's probably dead.
Unless the Reds are willing to eat a big part of Brandon Phillips contract, he's more than likely going to be in town next year. 2nd basemen are not in high demand, and his contract is too big to trade.
Old 12-02-16, 10:05 AM
Cooling Off

I'd be more than happy to part with Billy if they got a decent return. Like Chapman, he's a luxury for top teams, useless on bottom feeders.
Old 12-02-16, 01:39 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I'd be more than happy to part with Billy if they got a decent return. Like Chapman, he's a luxury for top teams, useless on bottom feeders.
Key phrase Jim..."if they got a decent return"....I think many teams kind of view Billy the same way. My mind set now is we are not bottom feeders. We are building. Is Billy going to be here when we're contending?? That's the million dollar question. It's difficult to get equal value for trades anymore, player or player. Normally one team is dumping salary, another team overpays for a certain player. Billy would be a defensive upgrade for about 95% of the other teams in baseball, but how many teams are looking to specifically upgrade their defensive in center field.
Old 12-02-16, 01:57 PM
Cooling Off

There is one team with a worse record than the Reds in 2016. They tied 3 other teams for the 2nd worse record. Unfortunately, they are bottom feeders right now. And you're right, they likely won't get decent return should they shop him. I honestly don't think they would get a decent prospect though.
Old 12-02-16, 03:01 PM
Fake coolin' off

I'm not a big fan of Hamilton, would love to see him dealt, but I have no faith the front office could pull off a worthwhile trade. Dumb guys, like 14red, would be upset.
Old 12-02-16, 04:17 PM
All American

Please go back and read the last few posts EP, try to be semi-intelligent. The Reds really don't have any "untouchables" in their position. I'm sure you think the Reds should just develop a Mike Trout type centerfielder, because everyone has one of those.
So IF the Reds get a good enough offer for Hamilton, then yes, they should listen. However, understand that you've put about 4 years into Hamilton at the major league level, and I don't believe we have another center field equilvalent than he. I'd guess if Hamilton were gone, Scott Schebler would be the defaut centerfielder for the time being.

Hands down, he's one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball today. If he can get on base at a .340-.350 clip and stay healthy, he's an all star. Plain and simple.
Old 12-02-16, 05:08 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hands down, he's one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball today. If he can get on base at a .340-.350 clip and stay healthy, he's an all star. Plain and simple.
The trouble is, 14Red, that he hasn't. That's why he hasn't been an all-star; and it's why he shouldn't be treated as an all-star.

He's an excellent defender whose career OBP is .297.
Old 12-02-16, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

Jhubbs77 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see Hamilton stick around for another year given how he played in the 2nd half and the fact that I don't think they would really get anything worthwhile in return
Old 12-02-16, 06:16 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
The trouble is, 14Red, that he hasn't. That's why he hasn't been an all-star; and it's why he shouldn't be treated as an all-star.

yup.
Old 12-05-16, 09:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post

Absolutely true Monclova Steve, nothing you say is inaccurate. He's also been very cheap for what he brings to the table. Now the rubber hits the road. He's probably going to get a nice bump in pay through arbitration, so he's going to have to hit and get on base at a higher level. We shall see...
Old 12-13-16, 11:38 AM
All American

Mariners and Rays are talking to the Reds about starting pitching...my guess is for the Reds it has to be DeSclafani.
Old 12-14-16, 09:37 PM
Fake coolin' off

Doubt Disco or Straley get dealt.
Old 12-15-16, 09:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Doubt Disco or Straley get dealt.
Maybe a little surprised, but then again, Disco would be someone that other teams would covet. And if you are the Reds, you have to listen to offers.
Old 12-20-16, 11:59 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe a little surprised, but then again, Disco would be someone that other teams would covet. And if you are the Reds, you have to listen to offers.
Please explain the purpose of this rebuilding project if you are willing to trade the young pitchers that are beginning to develop. Are you hoping to acquire even younger guys that need even more development?

At some point the goal is to have the bulk of the young pitchers develop and lead the team to success, right? Explain why the Reds should listen to offers for DeSclafani.
Old 12-20-16, 03:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Please explain the purpose of this rebuilding project if you are willing to trade the young pitchers that are beginning to develop. Are you hoping to acquire even younger guys that need even more development?

At some point the goal is to have the bulk of the young pitchers develop and lead the team to success, right? Explain why the Reds should listen to offers for DeSclafani.
Good point wolves. And don't get me wrong, it would have to be quite a deal to let Disco walk, but he's certainly not untouchable. Disco is good, but he's not a #1 type starter. He's a #3/ #4 type starter. Maybe #2 on a bad team.
The other goal is to have a stable of young arms that we can roll over ever 3 years so we don't have to pay top starters Monopoly money. The key is to get the guys through your organization before that big payday comes up.
Old 12-20-16, 06:13 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:

The thought process would be admin feels they have an excess of starting pitching and a need for quality position players, therefore deal an attractive young pitcher for position hitting that is lacking in the organization.
Old 12-21-16, 10:27 AM
All Region

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The thought process would be admin feels they have an excess of starting pitching and a need for quality position players, therefore deal an attractive young pitcher for position hitting that is lacking in the organization.
I don't dispute your logic, but if "admin" thinks we have an excess of SP, "admin" would be wrong.

We have an excess of "admin". Check this out: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=cin

Here are the job titles just on the Executive Team payroll. Lots of these folks probably with higher salaries than the rookie minimum:
President and Chief Executive Officer
Chairman
Vice Chairman and Treasurer
President of Baseball Operations
Senior Vice President, General Manager
Executive Assistant to the General Manager
Chief Operating Officer
Executive Operations Manager to the COO
Secretary
Senior Vice President of Finance and CFO
Chief Legal Counsel
Assistant to General Counsel and CFO
Senior Advisor to the President and Chief Executive Officer

This is more about ego-stroking than efficiently running an organization. Lets save some money there!

It would be interesting to see the "special advisors" and "special assistants" in Spring Training. I bet one or two could make this roster. Morgan, Soto, Larkin, Cairo, Davis... And Pinella could manage.
Old 12-21-16, 12:47 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I don't dispute your logic, but if "admin" thinks we have an excess of SP, "admin" would be wrong.

We have an excess of "admin". Check this out: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/...e.jsp?c_id=cin

Here are the job titles just on the Executive Team payroll. Lots of these folks probably with higher salaries than the rookie minimum:
Chairman
Chief Operating Officer
Secretary
Chief Legal Counsel

This is more about ego-stroking than efficiently running an organization. Lets save some money there!

It would be interesting to see the "special advisors" and "special assistants" in Spring Training. I bet one or two could make this roster. Morgan, Soto, Larkin, Cairo, Davis... And Pinella could manage.
You asked a question. Not sure if your point on admin being heavy is correct. I've done business with the castellini family and they aren't ones to throw money around to stroke egos. Would need to know more about other are set up.
Old 12-21-16, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

wolves82,
I would take your argument more seriously if you had anything to back it up. Simply listing positions without any knowledge of what functions these people are performing or how things could be more streamlined sort of leaves me wanting more info from you.
Old 12-21-16, 02:23 PM
All American

Quote:

Chairman
Chief Operating Officer
Secretary
Chief Legal Counsel

I'm certainly not aware of the corporate structure of the Reds, but believe me, any multi-million dollar company (which is what the Reds are) as at least this many or more upper management personnel. And unlike most regular company's they don't make less than many of it's "employees" i.e. players. Shaving a few of these jobs may buy a few more bats and balls, but it's not going to get you a new shortstop.

And I really hope you don't think Lou PInella has any interest in managing this team??? Nor Larkin or Morgan. Pinella may coach the Cubs if they called, but he's not interested in taking on a rebuilding team. Most established good managers don't want that.
Old 12-22-16, 09:23 AM
All American

I have no idea how legitimate this is, it was picked up on a Yahoo site, but it's on the internet, so it's right, right??

Anyway, a story floated out there that the Mets may be interested in sending Jay Bruce back to the Reds for Billy Hamilton and others.

Later in the article it states that the Mets would likely have to include either Stephen Matz or Michael Conforto, or someone like that.

Taking back Bruce's contract would make no sense for the Reds, unless they could get a guy like Matz in return also. You guys already know how much I like Hamilton, but it appears our GM Williams may not be as impressed with Billy as Jocketty was.
Old 12-22-16, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

That might be a nice rumor, but it doesn't make sense for the Reds to take on Bruce's salary when they just finished trading him for that very reason. In addition, reports are that the Mets are leery of Hamilton's ability to continue his improvement as fa as getting on base is concerned.
How would this make the Reds a better team? Answer: it wouldn't.
All in all, if Williams were to do a deal like this, look out for a grim foreseeable future.
Old 12-22-16, 01:06 PM
Fake coolin' off

I'd trade Hamilton straight up for Matz, tell them to keep or waive Bruce.
Old 12-22-16, 02:21 PM
All American

Quote:
I'd trade Hamilton straight up for Matz, tell them to keep or waive Bruce.
EP, I agree with you! But unlike football, you can't just waive guys and not pay them. Yes, you can waive Bruce, but you still have to pay him.

But heck yes, I'd take Matz for Hamilton in a heartbeat, but the Mets want to unload Bruce (kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it)?
Old 12-22-16, 03:26 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
EP, I agree with you! But unlike football, you can't just waive guys and not pay them. Yes, you can waive Bruce, but you still have to pay him.

But heck yes, I'd take Matz for Hamilton in a heartbeat, but the Mets want to unload Bruce (kind of sounds familiar, doesn't it)?
The Reds aren't taking on Bruce's salary.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: