Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-21-19, 10:15 AM
Freshman

Starkcountylegend is on a distinguished road
Louisville Looking

Spoke to someone that is highly plugged into to the Louisville sports scene, and was told to look for Louisville to make application to the PTC Metro Division this spring. I was told the following about the options that they are or did look at:

1. Remain Indy, they think this is untenable for a sustained period of time, due to scheduling issues, and potential future costs.

2. Looked at Fed, while their is some sentiment to join the Fed, it brings back past rivals, and allows the school to play local teams which traditionally produce good gates. The issue becomes, many feel every few years Louisville would be able to compete for the title in football, but on a yearly basis they would trend toward the middle of the pack or bottom.

3. They sent out a couple of trial balloons to the Suburban League to gauge if there was any interest in possibly expanding to add Louisville. Very little interest was reciprocated from Suburban, they told Louisville that they were really not in the foot print of where they would like to expand, and if they expanded it would be to benefit the northern schools in the league.

4. Looked at feasibility of establishing a league with Dover and New Philly, while the schools match up fairly well, and they all have the need of a league, the question that kept coming back was who else could be added? Two that were mentioned were CCC and Wooster, CCC would not fully commit, as some seem to feel they have no need for league affiliation. Wooster would probably be a yes, but a four team league spread out through three counties is not appealing to Louisville.

5. Briefly looked at All American Conference, but has similar issues as Fed with more travel, and the league may not be willing to expand at this time.

6. They had some back channel discussions with both Alliance and Marlington about the possibility of forming a new league. Both schools came back that they are satisfied with the EBC, as long as it remains stable. Alliance voiced some concern about the possibility of the EBC becoming unstable if both South and Minerva departed, as its widely known that South desperately wants out.

7. PTC, is really the only viable option for Louisville, other than staying Indy or going to Fed. Louisville will go to the Metro, where they will be the 4th largest school in the Metro behind Ravenna, Norton and Coventry. Field will slide down to the County Division.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-19, 12:30 PM
Varsity

generalisimo is on a distinguished road
I'm not that knowledgeable about the PTC. Who is in the Metro? Ravenna isn't too far, but Norton and Coventry are a bit of a haul.I agree that independent isn't a good long term option.
Old 01-21-19, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalisimo View Post
I'm not that knowledgeable about the PTC. Who is in the Metro? Ravenna isn't too far, but Norton and Coventry are a bit of a haul.I agree that independent isn't a good long term option.
PTC Metro:
Cloverleaf
Coventry
Field
Norton
Ravenna
Springfield
Streetsboro
Woodridge

PTC County:
Crestwood
Garfield
Lake Center Christian (no football)
Mogadore
Rootstown
Southeast
Valley Christian

Cloverleaf is probably the longest trip in the Metro for nearly everyone except maybe Norton and/or Coventry. It could get old fast unless they combine it with trips to the nearby outlet mall. The larger issue to me is that Louisville would likely experience a success rate similar or possibly even greater than what they had in the NBC. Are the PTC Metro schools going to sign Louisville up for that?
Old 01-21-19, 01:11 PM
All Region

bodiaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Not logical for them to join this league

So, what you're saying is that Louisville really only cares that they have a league to be affiliated with? It really makes little sense for them to join the Portage Trail Conference, sure, they most likely would be the favorite to win the league in football nearly every year, since the league really lacks any strong football schools. Would playing down in such a watered down league really help Louisville come playoff time? I think the best bet for Louisville is to just bite the bullet and join the FED, heck you play four of the teams already, and if you replace Massillon with McKinley then you almost have a full league schedule. I do agree that it's probably not viable to remain a Independent, it pretty much sentences Louisville to no opportunity for post season. If Louisville is waiting to see if Alliance and Marlington grow disenchanted with the Eastern Buckeye, I think they will be waiting a long time, especially since the Dukes have made no qualms about not wanting to play in the same league with Louisville. It's a good question of just whom would be interested in joining a league with Lou, Dover, New Philadelphia and Wooster, are there any teams they could poach in the area? I cannot think of any team that would leave their current setup to join such a league, especially in Stark County. I think the Leopards only two options are to join the Fed, or remain an Independent.

On a side note, the writer indicated that South wants out of the EBC, where would they go? If the competition in the EBC is too much for them, they surely wouldn't align themselves with a DOv, NPhil and Lou league. I think their enrollment is too high for the PAC
Old 01-21-19, 01:16 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Louisville to PTC Metro makes zero sense competition wise for the two sports I follow (Football/Wrestling). Louisville would dominate the metro in both.
Old 01-21-19, 01:22 PM
All District

ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Louisville to PTC Metro makes zero sense competition wise for the two sports I follow (Football/Wrestling). Louisville would dominate the metro in both.
They are looking for small schools
Old 01-21-19, 01:42 PM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Zanesville is leaving the league that Dover and New Philly are in...so that league gets even smaller. Louisville is trying to find the perfect league for their football team. Louisville in hoops plays the Fed, its wrestling team would compete well, cross country and track individually would do well, baseball would be competitive....so lets see what the hold up is..football. They just booted a coach that won 70% of their games...they expect the new coach to do better...Louisville is going to have to decide Fed or make a big plan with a lot of schools to set up something like the leagues around Columbus. The perfect league for Louisville does not exist unless they figure out how to change the league landscape. I just wonder if the Fed would accept them? McKinley has week 10 with Massillon and this allows the others to have a week 10 rivalry game. That would be an interesting discussion.
Old 01-21-19, 02:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
Zanesville is leaving the league that Dover and New Philly are in...so that league gets even smaller. Louisville is trying to find the perfect league for their football team. Louisville in hoops plays the Fed, its wrestling team would compete well, cross country and track individually would do well, baseball would be competitive....so lets see what the hold up is..football. They just booted a coach that won 70% of their games...they expect the new coach to do better...Louisville is going to have to decide Fed or make a big plan with a lot of schools to set up something like the leagues around Columbus. The perfect league for Louisville does not exist unless they figure out how to change the league landscape. I just wonder if the Fed would accept them? McKinley has week 10 with Massillon and this allows the others to have a week 10 rivalry game. That would be an interesting discussion.
You make a good point about if the FED would accept them, I could see some of the bigger schools balking at adding them. I think Hoover, Lake, and Green would be yes votes. Someone once posted on here that Louisville was wanting to have the Fed expand into two divisions of smaller schools and larger schools, but I can't see that happening. You're also right about no ideal league being available for Louisville now or in the future.
Old 01-21-19, 03:14 PM
Varsity

Sounds like a league Louisville would own for a few years before getting run out.
Old 01-21-19, 05:17 PM
All Ohio

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Louisville would dominate in every sport both boys and girls.
Old 01-21-19, 06:14 PM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
Louisville would dominate in every sport both boys and girls.
That's exactly what theyíre looking for.
Old 01-22-19, 11:14 AM
Varsity

PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
Hyperbole. They wouldn’t win the league in girls soccer. They aren’t beating Field or Streetsboro.

They aren’t winning cross country titles either. They might own football and basketball, not even sure about basketball. But all other sports they aren’t winning easy titles.
Old 01-22-19, 11:32 AM
Freshman

Donny_Swaggins91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
Hyperbole. They wouldnít win the league in girls soccer. They arenít beating Field or Streetsboro.

They arenít winning cross country titles either. They might own football and basketball, not even sure about basketball. But all other sports they arenít winning easy titles.
Baseball and softball would want better competition. This league is not an option itís a dumb choice and the Leps would never join
Old 01-22-19, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
If you thought games in the NBC were ugly...

If they join the PTC their credibility goes out the window.
Old 01-22-19, 01:16 PM
All Region

I would agree that from a football perspective, the PTC would be pretty weak for Louisville, and probably not benefit them if they were aspiring to have a deep playoff run. With that said, what league would truly be a viable option for Louisville? Can Louisville be similar to Massillon and survive as an Independent? While the PTC seems like an odd match for Louisville, are they truly down to just having the options of remaining Independent or entering the PTC?
Old 01-22-19, 01:29 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
in regards to football specifically

the PTC metro currently has 5 D3 schools and 3 D4 schools
Old 01-22-19, 03:16 PM
Varsity

Sean5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
in regards to football specifically

the PTC metro currently has 5 D3 schools and 3 D4 schools
None of which are any good in football.
Old 01-22-19, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Suburban American Division would be a great competitive fit for Louisville in my opinion but that's not an option as noted. Too bad.
Old 01-22-19, 03:43 PM
All Ohio

Ville-ified is on a distinguished road
I don’t follow any of the PTC teams closely but I thought Woodridge was a pretty good football school? I don’t think Louisville ends up in the PTC.
Old 01-22-19, 03:48 PM
All Ohio

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Woodridge has dominated the Metro since joining. Even this past season they went winless in the non-conference (or won one) and tied for the league title. Ravenna has the potential - their best player, a RB, signed with Akron. Norton is competitive. That said, I think, given Louisville's tradition and history, they would be very successful in this league.
Old 01-22-19, 04:55 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
Hyperbole. They wouldn’t win the league in girls soccer. They aren’t beating Field or Streetsboro.

They aren’t winning cross country titles either. They might own football and basketball, not even sure about basketball. But all other sports they aren’t winning easy titles.
Actually, Louisville would give Woodridge a run for their money in cross country and track. Louisville has been very competitive in XC in division 1. Whereas Woodridge is the top d2 school, fresh off a state championship, heavily favorited to repeat next year. Louisville vs Woodridge would be a very intriguing rivalry.
Old 01-22-19, 04:59 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
Woodridge has dominated the Metro since joining. Even this past season they went winless in the non-conference (or won one) and tied for the league title. Ravenna has the potential - their best player, a RB, signed with Akron. Norton is competitive. That said, I think, given Louisville's tradition and history, they would be very successful in this league.
I wouldn't count Coventry out just yet, either. They did come off an 8-2 season in 2017. In 2018, they did struggle, but they had like a dozen starters out with injury, including their star RB in Rankin getting taken out in week 1. Their JV team and underclassmen however have shown a lot of promise. If they grow together, and can stay healthy, Coventry will be back in the mix in the ptc.
Old 01-22-19, 06:40 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Hopefully this is just a rumor. No point in going from the NBC to another league with few competitive teams. No offense intended.
Old 01-22-19, 07:17 PM
All Ohio

Legend39 is on a distinguished road
Not saying this is or isn't going to happen, but from Louisville's perspective, it would be worth looking into, out of necessity rather than choice. I assume Field is one of the d-4 schools, so that would make 6 D-3(1 being Louisville), 2 D-4 schools. Louisville isn't in a position to be choosey. The "credibility" or whatever one wants to call it is out of their control. As someone mentioned, Louisville would be the 3rd largest in this group, just like they would be this year in the old NBC(based on total district enrollment). If the only other 2 options are independent or Fed(and be half the size or less of the majority of those schools), they would at least have to consider this...
Old 01-22-19, 08:42 PM
Varsity

I know this will never happen,so don't shoot me.Imagine a Federal League with a big school division made up of Mckinley,Massillon,Jackson.Perry,GlenOak,and Hoover.Then imagine a smaller school division made up of Lake.Green,Dover,New Philly.CCC,and Louisville.Play your division and two cross over games a year,which will rotate.Louisville and CCC play each other week 10 and everyone else keeps their traditional rival,Week 1-3 are non-conference
Old 01-23-19, 08:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalisimo View Post
I know this will never happen,so don't shoot me.Imagine a Federal League with a big school division made up of Mckinley,Massillon,Jackson.Perry,GlenOak,and Hoover.Then imagine a smaller school division made up of Lake.Green,Dover,New Philly.CCC,and Louisville.Play your division and two cross over games a year,which will rotate.Louisville and CCC play each other week 10 and everyone else keeps their traditional rival,Week 1-3 are non-conference
I like your thinking, but a couple of issues:

1. I assume that there would be two cross over games, which provides a total of 7 league games. So, not sure that Lake would want to give up the gates that they take in when they play many of the teams in the big school conference, and I know they would like to keep the Hoover game yearly, as Louisville probably would too.

2. CCC is not interested in joining a Conference

3. Massillon would be a good fit, but would Hoover and jackson actually support them being added?

4. Why add the Tusc schools, they really don't add much to the league, and create issues for travel for middle school and off sports.

5. How about a Small Division of: Louisville, Lake, Green, Alliance, Marlington and ???
Old 01-23-19, 08:35 AM
All Region

Mr. General is on a distinguished road
Still think their best option is to look into a new conference with Louisville, Dover, New Philly, CCC, and Wooster. Then try to find a few more schools to add in. I doubt West Holmes would be interested.
Old 01-23-19, 08:54 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
according to OHSAA website and numbers reported on there:
McKinley 927 963
Jackson 761 728
Glenoak 724 708
Perry 611 547
Hoover 591 559
Green 506 450
Lake 442 384
Louisville 337 383
Norton 301 310
Cloverleaf 297 294
Coventry 296 270
Springfield 277 265
Ravenna 276 238
Woodridge 265 223
Streetsbor 251 249
Field 219 220

Essentially - Louisville would be close to 600 boys smaller than biggest school in fed.
and top to bottom if Lou went to PTC the league would have a enrollment discrepancy of 86 boys. - bouncing Field to county

just the basic facts....
Old 01-23-19, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

Legend39 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
according to OHSAA website and numbers reported on there:
McKinley 927 963
Jackson 761 728
Glenoak 724 708
Perry 611 547
Hoover 591 559
Green 506 450
Lake 442 384
Louisville 337 383
Norton 301 310
Cloverleaf 297 294
Coventry 296 270
Springfield 277 265
Ravenna 276 238
Woodridge 265 223
Streetsbor 251 249
Field 219 220

Essentially - Louisville would be close to 600 boys smaller than biggest school in fed.
and top to bottom if Lou went to PTC the league would have a enrollment discrepancy of 86 boys. - bouncing Field to county

just the basic facts....
when looking at enrollment for the sake of future membership in leagues/conferences, i think it is better to look at the total district enrollment rather than simply the current 10-12th-grade enrollment. schools should be looking forward, down the road, to consider what's best for them.
Old 01-23-19, 09:04 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. General View Post
Still think their best option is to look into a new conference with Louisville, Dover, New Philly, CCC, and Wooster. Then try to find a few more schools to add in. I doubt West Holmes would be interested.
No way, Louisville wouldn't be interested, the travel alone for the off sports and middle school would be a killer. Nothing against Wooster, but I can't see any Stark County schools clamoring to join a league with them. Wooster had their chance, they were in the FED and backed out, doubt any Stark schools would be interested in adding them to a league.