Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Old 07-05-19, 04:47 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I won't dispute this and suspect that the variability in High School Soccer coaching is very large. But I'm not saying they should be scouting HS soccer today I'm saying that maybe the powers that be in American soccer should be looking at HS soccer as the place to invest their money and energy so that the coaching & skills training improves.

Think of HS soccer as one of those great old houses they remodel on HGTV. The place needs a lot of work but the bones are solid and the potential end product after the remodeling is spectacular. You even said it yourself Gr8tSOccr that HS soccer was "a blast". That's the environment that can attract kids to play for their high school that can't easily be imitated in club soccer.

The other advantage of using HS soccer as the infrastructure for developing players is that you already have outposts in the urban areas where soccer isn't popular but athletic kids reside in abundance. It's easier to make inroads at inner city high schools then trying to attract kids to "club" by putting in a soccer field at the local park.

And to be clear, HS soccer wouldn't be responsible for the final training of talent. That would be left to elite "clubs" and academy's. It would follow the football situation where HS introduces a highly competitive version of the sport to teenagers. Even though only a very small number of kids will go on from HS to play in the MLS and on the National Team millions more will become lifetime fans for having played HS soccer.
I pretty much completely agree with this 100%. The problem becomes getting the people with money and resources to buy into that vision, knowing there is going to be quite a while of investment with little to no return. Jut I agree, that once that hump is finally gotten over there talent that will begin to flourish in that environment will be bountiful. It can and would start to look very similar to what you get for the next level from high school talent in most of the other sports.

I don't think trying to mold soccer into the European mold of developing talent is the right choice in America. This is one place where our way of cultivating athletic talent probably would be best here in this country.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-19, 04:52 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I pretty much completely agree with this 100%. The problem becomes getting the people with money and resources to buy into that vision, knowing there is going to be quite a while of investment with little to no return. Jut I agree, that once that hump is finally gotten over there talent that will begin to flourish in that environment will be bountiful. It can and would start to look very similar to what you get for the next level from high school talent in most of the other sports.

I don't think trying to mold soccer into the European mold of developing talent is the right choice in America. This is one place where our way of cultivating athletic talent probably would be best here in this country.

I would be all for it as well except that I do think a short HS season isnít ideal for training and development. If only they would listen to us little people.
Old 07-05-19, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
I would be all for it as well except that I do think a short HS season isnít ideal for training and development. If only they would listen to us little people.
I would move the HS soccer season to Spring where it would compete with baseball & not football. This wouldn't help the short season situation you bring up but it could create a Friday night social event similar to what football has in the Fall and Basketball has in the winter.

I also think that you would have kids playing BOTH soccer & football. Now before folks laugh at me about this I remember years ago a National Team level HS soccer player moved to Cincinnati from Arizona and had to decide whether to play soccer or football at Lakota West! He had been an all state safety back in Arizona! He choose soccer and when I saw him play in a game at Fairfield there was no doubt he would have been a stud on the football field to. The kid was BIG & FAST.

BTW, dual soccer & football players would follow the old tradition of dual football & lacrosse players. Where I grew up in Western NY it was common for kids to play both sports. Don't forget that Jim Brown was a great lacrosse player to.

Finally if you want to make inroads into the urban areas this is how you do it - soccer in the spring & summer and football in the fall.
Old 07-05-19, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post

I agree 100% with this Philly!
Old 07-05-19, 06:09 PM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree 100% with this Philly!
I agree that trying to model ourselves after other countries is the wrong way to approach it.
Old 07-07-19, 08:20 PM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would move the HS soccer season to Spring where it would compete with baseball & not football. This wouldn't help the short season situation you bring up but it could create a Friday night social event similar to what football has in the Fall and Basketball has in the winter.

I also think that you would have kids playing BOTH soccer & football. Now before folks laugh at me about this I remember years ago a National Team level HS soccer player moved to Cincinnati from Arizona and had to decide whether to play soccer or football at Lakota West! He had been an all state safety back in Arizona! He choose soccer and when I saw him play in a game at Fairfield there was no doubt he would have been a stud on the football field to. The kid was BIG & FAST.

BTW, dual soccer & football players would follow the old tradition of dual football & lacrosse players. Where I grew up in Western NY it was common for kids to play both sports. Don't forget that Jim Brown was a great lacrosse player to.

Finally if you want to make inroads into the urban areas this is how you do it - soccer in the spring & summer and football in the fall.
Dual sports could happen, if HS administrators would allow it. I've seen it all over the state where a player does football and soccer in the same season. This is strictly a school policy.

HS soccer does have different seasons, depending on where you are in the country. Personally, a spring in Ohio would be miserable, just look at how it was this spring. Kentucky has middle school in the spring, good luck with having a good preseason, then even more luck needed to ensure a good regular season.

Additionally, what just needs to happen is the HS state associations need to quit being restrictive. Oklahoma allows HS and club to co-exist in the same season (spring). Seemed to flow pretty smoothly, in my experience. High schools know how/when to schedule away from club schedules. There's no fighting or territorialism as much as there is when HS associations restrict everything.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: