Old 07-11-19, 01:35 PM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
I'm not saying to cut pay. I'm saying cut the fat.

This is an educated guess, but I'd bet that 10-15 years ago they had less non-teaching administrative positions with close to 1,000 students than they do now with close to 700 students. "We have to pay the staff" isn't a good argument if you are paying staff that isn't a necessity.

Also, if they want an Honor's Program the equivalent of St X, that's great, but increase the price for the kids admitted. They're getting a tremendous bargain while everyone else is paying for it.

Good back to your roots, make it a school that prepares kids for college, offers solid sports programs and some fun extra curriculars and get the cost down to $7-8k. It would absolutely skyrocket the enrollment. West-siders don't need all of these extras and frills. They want to feel value for what they're paying for. That is simply not happening now.

Cost is, BY FAR, the biggest impediment to enrollment. It's 90% of the issue. All of the other stuff is banter. If the cost was $7,900, you wouldn't even need an enrollment department.
I donít doubt cost is a big impediment, but the pool of traditional students is still shrinking. Thatís not something thatís solved by just cutting tuition.

Regardless, your rationale is very shallow. Do you realize how much $ is lost by cutting tuition to 8k. Itís about $2.4 mm/year. Do you really think Elder is spending that much on non essential employees?
Old 07-11-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
I don’t doubt cost is a big impediment, but the pool of traditional students is still shrinking. That’s not something that’s solved by just cutting tuition.

Regardless, your rationale is very shallow. Do you realize how much $ is lost by cutting tuition to 8k. It’s about $2.4 mm/year. Do you really think Elder is spending that much on non essential employees?
Lower tuition would be a massive selling point IMO, especially with how these private schools are now in direct competition with each other for their very survival. I have no clue about the financial numbers or what's possible but being a couple thousand dollars cheaper per year than your direct competition would be a huge advantage when competing for students.
Old 07-11-19, 01:49 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don’t doubt cost is a big impediment, but the pool of traditional students is still shrinking. That’s not something that’s solved by just cutting tuition.

Regardless, your rationale is very shallow. Do you realize how much $ is lost by cutting tuition to 8k. It’s about $2.4 mm/year. Do you really think Elder is spending that much on non essential employees?
Yeah there's no chance Elder cuts tuition significantly like that. Realistically if they want to be the affordable option, they'll have to freeze tuition for the next 5-7 years. After that LaSalle will be closer to $13-$14k, Moeller $16k and St. X $18k. Elder obviously staying at $11k. IMO, you'd start keeping a lot of west side kids that go to St. X.
Old 07-11-19, 02:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yeah there's no chance Elder cuts tuition significantly like that. Realistically if they want to be the affordable option, they'll have to freeze tuition for the next 5-7 years. After that LaSalle will be closer to $13-$14k, Moeller $16k and St. X $18k. Elder obviously staying at $11k. IMO, you'd start keeping a lot of west side kids that go to St. X.
That’s more practical than a sudden massive cut. Perhaps over time, they could gradually drop cost if they’re able to attract more students.

I still can’t help but chuckle at the irony, if there were more traditional Catholic families with 4-6 kids, they’d almost never be able to afford Catholic School Tuition.
Old 07-11-19, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I donít doubt cost is a big impediment, but the pool of traditional students is still shrinking. Thatís not something thatís solved by just cutting tuition.

Regardless, your rationale is very shallow. Do you realize how much $ is lost by cutting tuition to 8k. Itís about $2.4 mm/year. Do you really think Elder is spending that much on non essential employees?
The pool is not shrinking. The amount of people picking Catholic schools is shrinking. There is actually more kids that are choosing than there was 20 years ago. The talent pool is bigger.

Do you even read my posts are just bits and pieces? I said if they got back to basics and just provided the essentials, what would cost look like? As I said, I bet the majority, if they had to choose, would get rid of the PAC, the Honors Program, and non-essential employees if it meant significantly lower tuition.

Provide an option to get kids to college and provide solid extra curriculars at a price that is appropriate. No frills, no extras, no keeping up with the joneses.

If a kid wants advanced AP, there are other schools to consider.
Old 07-11-19, 03:25 PM
All World

Quote:
The pool is not shrinking. The amount of people picking Catholic schools is shrinking. There is actually more kids that are choosing than there was 20 years ago. The talent pool is bigger.

Do you even read my posts are just bits and pieces? I said if they got back to basics and just provided the essentials, what would cost look like? As I said, I bet the majority, if they had to choose, would get rid of the PAC, the Honors Program, and non-essential employees if it meant significantly lower tuition.

Provide an option to get kids to college and provide solid extra curriculars at a price that is appropriate. No frills, no extras, no keeping up with the joneses.

The PAC was gifted and the Honors Program raised the school’s academic Profile. The Catholic Feeder Enrollment is drastically smaller than 20-30 yrs ago, I’m not sure how that’s debatable.

You basically want to make the school a bargain brand for the mediocre kids of the world. Who cares if you’ve got 1000 average schmoes running around, big deal. There’s no point in the school existing if there’s no push to excel in anything.

Also, your entire argument is useless without actual numbers. Everything you’re suggesting is half brained and poorly thought out.
Old 07-11-19, 03:29 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
It's not just the Catholic grade school enrollment that is shrinking. Districtwide, Oak Hills' enrollment is on the decline. Three Rivers' enrollment was on the way down until the new school opened, but their enrollment still doesn't match where it was 20 years ago.

Also, the PAC has a separate funding source thanks to some very generous alumni donors who have organized to make sure it is not a financial drain on the school and is maintained at a high level.
Old 07-11-19, 04:13 PM
All Ohio

The talent pool is as large as it's ever been for Elder. That is an undisputed fact. There is no one that's off limits. It doesn't matter who went to what school, the talent pool is vast. Catholic vs non-Catholic mean nothing anymore. If you continue to just think of Elder pulling in nothing but feeder kids, they you've already lost the battle. There are, what, 2,000 kids that go to Oak Hills. Those are 2,000 potential students. You can make excuse all you want about schools shrinking. It's true for everyone, as those that adapted are thriving.

The Catholic talent pool has shrunk, but that doesn't matter, because the overall talent pool has exploded immensely for Elder. Our competitors figured this out 10 years ago. They were handed a lottery ticket and didn't cash it in. Insulation, legacy, tradition, and status quo were more important, not realizing that all of those things still could have remained at the school.

That's good that the PAC has a separate funding source as it doesn't drain the school budget, but that draws into bigger question the $12k price tag.

What no one seems to want to answer, where can I find the breakdown of what goes into that $12k cost, or is that a secret too?

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 07-11-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 04:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The PAC was gifted and the Honors Program raised the school’s academic Profile. The Catholic Feeder Enrollment is drastically smaller than 20-30 yrs ago, I’m not sure how that’s debatable.

You basically want to make the school a bargain brand for the mediocre kids of the world. Who cares if you’ve got 1000 average schmoes running around, big deal. There’s no point in the school existing if there’s no push to excel in anything.

Also, your entire argument is useless without actual numbers. Everything you’re suggesting is half brained and poorly thought out.
Then where are the numbers? Who can give them to me? Who can show me the cost to educate a kid at Elder vs Cov Cath and how that compares to what they charge? Is that public information that these schools will give me? Is there a line item in there for "Reimbursement for the Priest Legal Fund" because I'll be honest, I think they have been instructed to raise prices and not be transparent about it. The Archdiocese hides everything.

And FYI, 90% of the kids that go to Elder are "mediocre" (your word, not mine) kids. Most will stay local and get a good college education locally and get decent jobs and make good lives for themselves. Nothing wrong with that, as most of us will do the same thing. It is called THEIR MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not families interested in summer homes in the Hamptons, and Ivy League education, and 6 car garages, and $500,000 salaries. These are good hard working people wanting to get their kids on the path to success. And the price is exceeding their expectations. KNOW YOUR MARKET!

It's simply not sustainable on the west side of Cincinnati. You can disagree with everything I say, whatever, but it's absolutely unsustainable, and I'm pretty sure you, and others, know that.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 07-11-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 06:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Then where are the numbers? Who can give them to me? Who can show me the cost to educate a kid at Elder vs Cov Cath and how that compares to what they charge? Is that public information that these schools will give me? Is there a line item in there for "Reimbursement for the Priest Legal Fund" because I'll be honest, I think they have been instructed to raise prices and not be transparent about it. The Archdiocese hides everything.

And FYI, 90% of the kids that go to Elder are "mediocre" (your word, not mine) kids. Most will stay local and get a good college education locally and get decent jobs and make good lives for themselves. Nothing wrong with that, as most of us will do the same thing. It is called THEIR MARKET!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not families interested in summer homes in the Hamptons, and Ivy League education, and 6 car garages, and $500,000 salaries. These are good hard working people wanting to get their kids on the path to success. And the price is exceeding their expectations. KNOW YOUR MARKET!

It's simply not sustainable on the west side of Cincinnati. You can disagree with everything I say, whatever, but it's absolutely unsustainable, and I'm pretty sure you, and others, know that.
You keep pushing the idea itís one particular reason. Thereís a multitude of factors at play, some more important than others. Also, you donít even have your facts straight. How could you not know the PAC was built with donations? And I didnít realize the 80+ kids across all grades in the Honors Program vacationed in the Hamptons. You act like itís a small # of students, but itís over 20 per Yr. Thatís about 10% of the enrollment, thatís not small.
Old 07-11-19, 06:35 PM
All Ohio

Again, I'm not railing on the Honors Program. I'm saying to get to $8k in tuition, you'd have to make some hard choices to lower expenses (programs, people, etc).

And I knew the PAC was built with donations, but it's not common knowledge that the cost to maintain and upkeep it is built into that. That, I'm sure, is a significant expense, especially with how well maintained it is. That's alot of land to keep looking good, and that costs alot of money.

And cost is BY FAR the biggest factor. We're not even having most of the conversations on this forum if the cost was $8k.

No one has touched my initial question - how many non teaching administrators do they have now with 700 students vs. what they had 15 years ago with 1,000 students? I'd venture to guess they have more now with 300 less students. Why? I guess we can't have that discussion.
Old 07-11-19, 07:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Again, I'm not railing on the Honors Program. I'm saying to get to $8k in tuition, you'd have to make some hard choices to lower expenses (programs, people, etc).

And I knew the PAC was built with donations, but it's not common knowledge that the cost to maintain and upkeep it is built into that. That, I'm sure, is a significant expense, especially with how well maintained it is. That's alot of land to keep looking good, and that costs alot of money.

And cost is BY FAR the biggest factor. We're not even having most of the conversations on this forum if the cost was $8k.

No one has touched my initial question - how many non teaching administrators do they have now with 700 students vs. what they had 15 years ago with 1,000 students? I'd venture to guess they have more now with 300 less students. Why? I guess we can't have that discussion.
Anytime you get pressed on how poorly thought out or ill informed your ideas are, you want to the play victim.There’s a lot more necessary expenses than 30 yrs ago. Technology and Marketing come to mind as the two chief expenses.

You can’t constantly ramble on how Elder is out of touch and behind the curve, then suggest they cut key expenses that help keep them competitive. That 8k tuition tag probably isn’t as appealing once you realize how watered down the quality of the education would be.

Last edited by Omar; 07-11-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 07:45 PM
All World

Quote:
The talent pool is as large as it's ever been for Elder. That is an undisputed fact. There is no one that's off limits. It doesn't matter who went to what school, the talent pool is vast. Catholic vs non-Catholic mean nothing anymore. If you continue to just think of Elder pulling in nothing but feeder kids, they you've already lost the battle. There are, what, 2,000 kids that go to Oak Hills. Those are 2,000 potential students. You can make excuse all you want about schools shrinking. It's true for everyone, as those that adapted are thriving.

The Catholic talent pool has shrunk, but that doesn't matter, because the overall talent pool has exploded immensely for Elder. Our competitors figured this out 10 years ago. They were handed a lottery ticket and didn't cash it in. Insulation, legacy, tradition, and status quo were more important, not realizing that all of those things still could have remained at the school.

That's good that the PAC has a separate funding source as it doesn't drain the school budget, but that draws into bigger question the $12k price tag.

What no one seems to want to answer, where can I find the breakdown of what goes into that $12k cost, or is that a secret too?
Those are 2 diffít discussions. And while Elderís main competitors have done a far better job of drawing in non traditional students for sports, it did cripple one of them financially. Elder dropped the ball by not being more aggressive for non feeders, but itís dishonest to ignore the implications from the other side.
Old 07-11-19, 08:40 PM
All District

cincyelder is on a distinguished road
This doesn't help. Right down the street

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/b...-neighborhood/
Old 07-11-19, 08:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyelder View Post
This doesn't help. Right down the street

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/b...-neighborhood/
This looks like a poorly edited music video, though it does highlight how awful things are in these urban neighborhoods. That’s what gets irritating with Mojo trying to force this idea Price Hill is on the up and up down our throats, I bet the city is really concerned with all of the violence in the W End with the new Soccer Stadium going in.

At the same time, this is where Elder can be a positive influence on some of these kids. Not the ghetto trash in this video, but the kids in these neighborhoods who are surrounded by this crap with no way out. If they put the work in, the education at Elder can give them an out, but it has to be a two way street. Elder needs to put in more effort and the kids have to want to do the work.

Last edited by Omar; 07-11-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 09:01 PM
All World

This is also representative of the difficult position Elder is in. Theyíve got to quell fear of the violence in the area but also not appear to silo themselves from the community. Itís an extremely difficult position to be in and frankly, I canít think of a solution that does much good.
Old 07-12-19, 07:32 AM
All World

Quote:

That's essentially a net zero when considering the benefits of sending your kid. People pay thousands more to send their kid to X already because it is perceived significantly better academically. Slash tuition but slash academic progress then you're not gaining any ground. Wasn't most, if not all of the PAC, donated? I would assume many donate back to Elder knowing that some funds will go to the PAC's maintenance because for them Elder athletics is what connects them back to the school.

You're cutting off your arm hoping that will help re-grow a leg. It doesn't work like that.
Old 07-12-19, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:

There is a huge amount of area between "offer the bare minimum, send the kids off to a local college and get a decent job" and "summer home in the Hamptons, Ivy League education, 6 car garages and $500k salary."

Dunno how anyone here continues to argue with you. You live in a different world.
Old 07-12-19, 07:54 AM
All World

One thing Elder can do, if theyíre not already doing it, is offer online classes or optional summer courses to help give students more flexibility in scheduling during the School year.

That added flexibility will make life easier for kids involved in sports or those who have part time jobs.
Old 07-12-19, 09:08 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You live in a different world.
This hits the nail on the head.

Everyone continues to just think "it will be fine" with just a couple tweaks here and there.

It doesn't matter the topic, if I insinuate drastic change in any area, people call me crazy. They're going to wake up in 10 years again and be down to 500 students, and everyone will wonder "what's going on", with zero accountability to the fact that some of this could have been fixed with some new thinking.

They need different world thinkers. Otherwise, what changes?

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 07-12-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
That's essentially a net zero when considering the benefits of sending your kid. People pay thousands more to send their kid to X already because it is perceived significantly better academically. Slash tuition but slash academic progress then you're not gaining any ground. Wasn't most, if not all of the PAC, donated? I would assume many donate back to Elder knowing that some funds will go to the PAC's maintenance because for them Elder athletics is what connects them back to the school.

You're cutting off your arm hoping that will help re-grow a leg. It doesn't work like that.
It's a business trying to attract new customers to survive. I'm also assuming it costs alot to maintain the Honors Program. I have no idea if that's true or not. It's an example of potential areas that cost a great deal but don't draw in a huge number of students. Does Elder really need to enhance it's academic profile for students to consider it? A small percentage of the whole would say yes.

Again, not sure why anyone won't touch 1) what are the details that make up the $12k cost and 2) what is the ratio of non-teaching roles compared to enrollment now vs. 15 years ago. I would think you wold agree those are very relevant questions when consider cost of tuition.
Old 07-12-19, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:

Everyone continues to just think "it will be fine" with just a couple tweaks here and there.

It doesn't matter the topic, if I insinuate drastic change in any area, people call me crazy. They're going to wake up in 10 years again and be down to 500 students, and everyone will wonder "what's going on", with zero accountability to the fact that some of this could have been fixed with some new thinking.

Pboy, myself and others have not continued to just think "It will be fine" with a couple tweaks here and there. Pboy especially has not been a proponent of just a couple tweaks.

That's because everything you suggest is in fact crazy.

They need people thinking outside the box, not living on Mars.
Old 07-12-19, 10:22 AM
All World

Quote:

Impactful change doesnít happen all at once, itís refined practices over incremental periods of time.

And disagreeing with your idea isnít the same as thinking Elder doesnít need to change. They do need to adapt, but what youíre proposing is reckless.
Old 07-12-19, 10:28 AM
All World

Quote:
It's a business trying to attract new customers to survive. I'm also assuming it costs alot to maintain the Honors Program. I have no idea if that's true or not. It's an example of potential areas that cost a great deal but don't draw in a huge number of students. Does Elder really need to enhance it's academic profile for students to consider it? A small percentage of the whole would say yes.

Again, not sure why anyone won't touch 1) what are the details that make up the $12k cost and 2) what is the ratio of non-teaching roles compared to enrollment now vs. 15 years ago. I would think you wold agree those are very relevant questions when consider cost of tuition.
So your suggestion is offer nothing that separates Elder from a free public school education other than religion classes? Parents won't pony up even $8k if the only benefit is a religion class. The shift in the Catholic faith will tell you that much, people are moving from the faith. Those people aren't going to drop $25k+ over 4 years just for religion class.

Has it occurred to you that people haven't touched it because the people on here don't know? Go e-mail Ruffing, do some research on your own instead of expecting others to provide it for you.
Old 07-12-19, 10:33 AM
Varsity

Mad Dogg is on a distinguished road
None of us are smart enough to understand trey
Old 07-12-19, 10:43 AM
All World

I do believe Elder needs to be aggressive in going after LS Feeder students. LS is supposedly weakened financially and this would be a good opportunity to increase enrollment and further weaken a rival. However, I think more generous financial aid is a better play than outright cost cutting. Cost cutting in any industry is never sustainable over the long term. Also, thatís a gigantic unhedged risk youíre setting yourself up with. Imagine cutting costs to the level Trey wants and it doesnít meaningfully impact enrollment. Now, youíre screwed. You canít all of the sudden raise tuition back up by 20% in a Yr and you devalued the education.
Old 07-12-19, 10:48 AM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So your suggestion is offer nothing that separates Elder from a free public school education other than religion classes? Parents won't pony up even $8k if the only benefit is a religion class. The shift in the Catholic faith will tell you that much, people are moving from the faith. Those people aren't going to drop $25k+ over 4 years just for religion class.

Has it occurred to you that people haven't touched it because the people on here don't know? Go e-mail Ruffing, do some research on your own instead of expecting others to provide it for you.
AND, generally, for a small business lowering prices is a bad strategy. You need a MASSIVE increase in customers/products sold to justify it.
Old 07-12-19, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Impactful change doesnít happen all at once, itís refined practices over incremental periods of time.

And disagreeing with your idea isnít the same as thinking Elder doesnít need to change. They do need to adapt, but what youíre proposing is reckless.
What are they changing? Not the things you think they should change, but a list of things they are actively doing differently that are making an impact. Go.
Old 07-12-19, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Huh? No, my suggestion is to find a way to make it more affordable because I know that simply raising tuition every year is a sure fire recipe for increased decreasing enrollment. How is that hard to comprehend?

You actually think more people are going to continue to pay more and more money? You honestly think people are going to pay $15k a year for Elder in 5-7 years? It's astonishing to me that you think enrollment won't continue to decrease with this reality.

And your answer is...ah, they'll figure it out. Yet you say a plan to cut costs and reduce tuition is a bad idea? And I live on Mars?
Old 07-12-19, 11:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Huh? No, my suggestion is to find a way to make it more affordable because I know that simply raising tuition every year is a sure fire recipe for increased decreasing enrollment. How is that hard to comprehend?

You actually think more people are going to continue to pay more and more money? You honestly think people are going to pay $15k a year for Elder in 5-7 years? It's astonishing to me that you think enrollment won't continue to decrease with this reality.

And your answer is...ah, they'll figure it out. Yet you say a plan to cut costs and reduce tuition is a bad idea? And I live on Mars?
You dress up your reckless and poorly thought out plan as a simple suggestion to make tuition affordable. Of course affordable tuition is a priority but wildly cutting costs with no consideration of the down stream impact is dumb. Not to get too political, but itís like Politicians who flat out want to cancel student loan debt. That sounds great at a high level and addresses a key issue, but when it comes to implementing the idea, itís far more complex.