Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 07-12-19, 06:01 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Clemson...The new Bama?

Clemson has been on a run that is only rivaled by Alabama and with their blowout of the Tide likely places them at the top of the College Football hill.
Currently #1 in the recruiting race, the Tigers seem to be building a monolith in S Carolina that could easily win the NT this year with little competition.
Alabama is still there but last years National Title game proved that the Tigers are a juggernaut.
They have to be considered the #1 team coming into 2019. Who is going to push them this year? Bama, Ohio State, Georgia?
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-19, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Clemson has been on a run that is only rivaled by Alabama and with their blowout of the Tide likely places them at the top of the College Football hill.
Currently #1 in the recruiting race, the Tigers seem to be building a monolith in S Carolina that could easily win the NT this year with little competition.
Alabama is still there but last years National Title game proved that the Tigers are a juggernaut.
They have to be considered the #1 team coming into 2019. Who is going to push them this year? Bama, Ohio State, Georgia?
Thoughts?
Having won 2 of the last 3 National Championships on the field you would have to say that Clemson is the best team in college football right now. What's intriguing is that Clemson may have gotten there by doing some little things differently & better then Alabama:

* By all accounts Clemson has a more relaxed atmosphere then Bama. That is Dabo, to a far greater extent then Saban, understands that there's more to life then football. For certain types of coaches & players this is an environment they can thrive in.

* Clemson makes a big deal about walk on's receiving scholarships. It's not just about the latest 5 star recruit. I remember watching a YouTube video of a scrawny kid who was a walk on getting awarded a scholarship after a great summer camp. The vibe was beyond positive as the whole team celebrated this kids accomplishment. Two years later the kid (Renfro) catches the game winning TD against Bama in the national championship.

Sometimes you create good karma for your program by your actions.
Old 07-12-19, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Thoughts?
As far as who is going to push Clemson this year I don't see anyone in their conference that can do it which leaves the playoff teams.

Obviously Bama is always there. But my dark horse team for this year is LSU. If they're as good as I think they'll be and Burrow emerges as a top college QB (which I think he will) this may be the one team that can match up with Clemson.
Old 07-12-19, 08:13 AM
All World

Omar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
As far as who is going to push Clemson this year I don't see anyone in their conference that can do it which leaves the playoff teams.

Obviously Bama is always there. But my dark horse team for this year is LSU. If they're as good as I think they'll be and Burrow emerges as a top college QB (which I think he will) this may be the one team that can match up with Clemson.
LSU always has tons of individual talent. However, they need to get past Bama and they havenít been able to do that.

My dark horse is Texas. I like the momentum theyíve got coming into this Yr and Ehlinger finally looks confident being the starting QB.

If I had to pick my playoff teams it would be: Clemson, Bama, Texas, and Georgia.
Old 07-12-19, 08:49 AM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
LSU always has tons of individual talent. However, they need to get past Bama and they havenít been able to do that.

My dark horse is Texas. I like the momentum theyíve got coming into this Yr and Ehlinger finally looks confident being the starting QB.

If I had to pick my playoff teams it would be: Clemson, Bama, Texas, and Georgia.
LSU vs Texas will be huge. Both should be top 5 teams. Be a huge game for Burrow
Old 07-12-19, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

Rooting for Burrow as a Buckeye fan. I would love to see LSU or Florida back in the mix. I like the chances that LSU has vs. Bama.
Clemson is a man on an island in the ACC. Ohio State will be there if they can stick together and not have a letdown (Purdue, Iowa).
I think they are my dark horse citing first year coach, loss of Qb, key O and D talent. But they cupboards are loaded.
Another one waiting in the wings is Texas and maybe even Oregon.
My pick for playoffs is;
Clemson, Florida, OSU, Texas. Yes I am leaving Bama and Georgia out of the mix. I feel that the two will stumble vs. Florida and LSU. You might put LSU in place of OSU.
I just get a feeling about this years Buckeye team. Similar to 2012.
Old 07-12-19, 10:45 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Next to zero chance Florida gets in over LSU, Alabama or Georgia. They have good offensive skill positions but replace nearly their entire offensive line and Franks, IMO, is just an average QB. Their defense should be pretty good again but lose arguably their 2 best players. They play Miami in neutral Orlando, at Kentucky, at LSU, at Missouri, at South Carolina and have to host Auburn from the West. I think Florida hits 10 wins but doubt they get close to the SEC championship, let alone a playoff appearance.
Old 07-12-19, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

Same was said about OSU in 2014 and 2002. I just feel after that beat down they gave SCum last year they are on the verge of something special. Granted LSU is very good. Missouri and KY aren't big hurdles to me.
Old 07-12-19, 06:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Same was said about OSU in 2014 and 2002. I just feel after that beat down they gave SCum last year they are on the verge of something special. Granted LSU is very good. Missouri and KY aren't big hurdles to me.
I bet you didnít think Purdue was a major hurdle last yr. iíll say, I donít get the Michigan hype outside of Shea Patterson. They lost almost everyone on that Defense.
Old 07-13-19, 02:20 AM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
What Dabo has built is impressive and it’s hard for me not to root for the guy. He seems like he’d be a heck of a coach to get to play for. But Bama coming off that beat down and Tua being healthy makes them very dangerous. They seem to always do well with the revenge factor. They also don’t have the whole offseason fiasco to deal with like last year with the Tua/Hurts competition.
Old 07-13-19, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
The public is usually pretty bad at picking favorites. Will Clemson's defensive line be elite after their losses to graduation and the draft
Old 07-13-19, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
How can Clemson be the next Bama if none of its players get arrested?
Old 07-13-19, 08:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
The public is usually pretty bad at picking favorites. Will Clemson's defensive line be elite after their losses to graduation and the draft
Itís going to be the Offense that carries them. That 3-headed monster of Lawrence, Ross, and Etiene will rack up huge points.
Old 07-15-19, 07:24 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You point to Florida beating Michigan, who had about 1/4 of their starters out, as your reason for them breaking out yet ignore the fact that Missouri and KY both beat Florida last year ?
Old 07-15-19, 12:56 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Clemson has some young talent but losing all but one starter (LB) on defensive front 7 hurts. However, if Clemson can get past Texas A&M (return 3 on each side) they should roll the ACC.

Clemson has been very good recently but they have a ways to go to be mentioned with Bama. One could make a case for Bama being the top team in the country over the past decade. It has taken some special teams under some special circumstances to beat Bama in that timeframe.

Bama returns more talent this year than they have the past 3 years (7 and 7) and of course the cupboard is always full. Most Bama back-ups, most years, would be starting at almost any other institution in the country. Bama also returns an established QB and the "pundits" have Clemson ahead of them at #1 in the polls which takes a bit of heat off you even though everyone plays Bama like #1.

The media is high on Georgia but the Bulldogs lost a ton and only return 3 guys on each side of the ball. LSU should be second only to Bama but expect Auburn and Florida to push.

I'd expect UM to beat OSU prior to the Fields transfer but now I consider it a toss up. UM has the game at home and returns a quality QB for the first time in Harbaugh's tenure there. B10 darkhorse is MSU. Return everyone but schedule is tough and they need Lewerke to be the Lewerke of two seasons ago not last season.

Nationally people keep talking about Texas but I do not think they beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma returns 7 guys on offense (counting Hurts) and 8 on defense from a pretty good team last season.

Oregon and Utah should be the Pac12 contenders. Herbert is a great QB and the Ducks return his entire oline and some weapons at WR. Utah run game will be great and their D gets even better with the Penn State LB transferring in.
Old 07-16-19, 10:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Clemson has some young talent but losing all but one starter (LB) on defensive front 7 hurts. However, if Clemson can get past Texas A&M (return 3 on each side) they should roll the ACC.

Clemson has been very good recently but they have a ways to go to be mentioned with Bama. One could make a case for Bama being the top team in the country over the past decade. It has taken some special teams under some special circumstances to beat Bama in that timeframe.

Bama returns more talent this year than they have the past 3 years (7 and 7) and of course the cupboard is always full. Most Bama back-ups, most years, would be starting at almost any other institution in the country. Bama also returns an established QB and the "pundits" have Clemson ahead of them at #1 in the polls which takes a bit of heat off you even though everyone plays Bama like #1.

The media is high on Georgia but the Bulldogs lost a ton and only return 3 guys on each side of the ball. LSU should be second only to Bama but expect Auburn and Florida to push.

I'd expect UM to beat OSU prior to the Fields transfer but now I consider it a toss up. UM has the game at home and returns a quality QB for the first time in Harbaugh's tenure there. B10 darkhorse is MSU. Return everyone but schedule is tough and they need Lewerke to be the Lewerke of two seasons ago not last season.

Nationally people keep talking about Texas but I do not think they beat Oklahoma. Oklahoma returns 7 guys on offense (counting Hurts) and 8 on defense from a pretty good team last season.

Oregon and Utah should be the Pac12 contenders. Herbert is a great QB and the Ducks return his entire oline and some weapons at WR. Utah run game will be great and their D gets even better with the Penn State LB transferring in.
Again, I donít understand the Michigan hype. They lost all of their studs on D and most of their skill talent outside Patterson and Peoples-Jones.

Iíd also hold off on calling Fields a difference maker until he actually plays a full game. He was a 5* for a reason, but you canít automatically assume heíll come in and play to that level.